THAT ROONEY'S THIRD GOAL

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
THAT ROONEY'S THIRD GOAL

Post by anointed »

That was just wow!

That's the :smile: definition of thinking out of the box...in fact out of your own half. I also believe it's not the first time Rooney has scored that sort of quick-witted and precision-weighted goal. I still think Rooney will gatecrash into the England WC team though I feel he's not likely to make a difference there as usual.

I zero in on Naija players especially as we head to the WC. Years back, I saw a very laughable Daniel Amokachi in a similar position that Rooney was, incidentally also in an Everton shirt but in an FA Cup final. Instead of Amokachi taking a shot towards an empty goal, as the opposing goalie had come to the other goal to lend height off a corner kick in the closing stages of the game while chasing the game, Amokachi actually tried to drbble and run his way through. Apart from the fact that he didn't succeed, I believe he picked up an hamstring from over exerting himself.

I'm still seetning that Osaze didn't tumble when pulled tenaciously by Evra in the penalty box and Mikel didn't fall and roll on the turf like he had been shot both against France in a match we should have won at the last WC.

Even in 1994, when Maldini was pulling Yekini down, the gangling striker was trying to stay up. Ikpeba's body language after his penalty goal in the shootout against Cameroun in the final of the 2000 afcon final was ruled not to have crossed the line contributed to the referree's decision against Nigeria. And who recalls that Argentina's lone goal against us in the 2002 WC should not have stood if only the player held by Heinze had fallen? Good boys incidents like these have cost us too much whereas, if it was a Sani Kaita, he gets a straight red card.

Our gamesmanship should be different and result oriented. These are things that Rohr should inclusively instill in our guys cos some of the consequences could determine our results and by extension how far we could go. Quick, positive thinking and eschewing charitable football should be in our DNA. Some players like Rooney may not be the most gifted player but he's got it for good decision making. You don't become Man Utd and England record goal scorer by being a slouch. Good decision making is crucial to our WC success.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: THAT ROONEY'S THIRD GOAL

Post by Kabalega »

anointed wrote:That was just wow!

That's the :smile: definition of thinking out of the box...in fact out of your own half. I also believe it's not the first time Rooney has scored that sort of quick-witted and precision-weighted goal. I still think Rooney will gatecrash into the England WC team though I feel he's not likely to make a difference there as usual.

I zero in on Naija players especially as we head to the WC. Years back, I saw a very laughable Daniel Amokachi in a similar position that Rooney was, incidentally also in an Everton shirt but in an FA Cup final. Instead of Amokachi taking a shot towards an empty goal, as the opposing goalie had come to the other goal to lend height off a corner kick in the closing stages of the game while chasing the game, Amokachi actually tried to drbble and run his way through. Apart from the fact that he didn't succeed, I believe he picked up an hamstring from over exerting himself.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: This is funny! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I didn't even read the rest of the post. :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, have you ever seen the video clip of Sir Alex playing fetch with Wayne Rooney just to teach him that kicking the ball, moves the ball (and game) faster than he can ever ran with it?
Funny stuff! It too Rooney awhile to figure it out. :lol: :lol:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Impeccable technique. First time. Swerve. Elevation. Oga Wayne at his best. Inspired by? Designed by? Calling the shots from the stands...Brigadier General Samuel J Allardyce. Two words. Big.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

No video?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Coach wrote:Impeccable technique. First time. Swerve. Elevation. Oga Wayne at his best. Inspired by? Designed by? Calling the shots from the stands...Brigadier General Samuel J Allardyce. Two words. Big.
The beauty of it was the low elevation.

I would have ballooned it up in the air exposing it to the elements and probably missed the target.
Rooney knew better than to balloon it!
Last edited by Kabalega on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Spectacular!!!!

You also need to see his dash for his 2nd goal. I thought I was watching Rooney of 2008.

:clap: :clap:
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

While Wayne Rooney must not be denied his credit and glory, should Paul Hart, England's WC-bound GK, be clearing the ball into the central area of the field as opposed to the sidelines? If that was Ezenwa or Akpeyi, I swear, man no go hear word for CE today!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...if Wayne Rooney is Nigerian, down and out, and announced retirement few weeks back, many here will be calling for to be included for the world cup just for that tricky shot :biggrin:
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Kabalega wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: This is funny! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I didn't even read the rest of the post. :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, have you ever seen the video clip of Sir Alex playing fetch with Wayne Rooney just to teach him that kicking the ball, moves the ball (and game) faster than he can ever ran with it?
Funny stuff! It too Rooney awhile to figure it out. :lol: :lol:
But CiC old boy maintains that Sir Alex only used to sit in the office all the time and never did such training stuff with his players.
chendosplastic
Egg
Egg

Post by chendosplastic »

I'm still seetning that Osaze didn't tumble when pulled tenaciously by Evra in the penalty box and Mikel didn't fall and roll on the turf like he had been shot both against France in a match we should have won at the last WC.

Even in 1994, when Maldini was pulling Yekini down, the gangling striker was trying to stay up. Ikpeba's body language after his penalty goal in the shootout against Cameroun in the final of the 2000 afcon final was ruled not to have crossed the line contributed to the referree's decision against Nigeria. And who recalls that Argentina's lone goal against us in the 2002 WC should not have stood if only the player held by Heinze had fallen? Good boys incidents like these have cost us too much whereas, if it was a Sani Kaita, he gets a straight red card.

Our gamesmanship should be different and result oriented. These are things that Rohr should inclusively instill in our guys cos some of the consequences could determine our results and by extension how far we could go. Quick, positive thinking and eschewing charitable football should be in our DNA. Some players like Rooney may not be the most gifted player but he's got it for good decision making. You don't become Man Utd and England record goal scorer by being a slouch. Good decision making is crucial to our WC success.
You must badmouth Nigerians to make a point, eh? Kontinu.
Last edited by chendosplastic on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The history book on the shelf is always repeating itself" - ABBA.
"Facts, Logic, truth is the way....stop ranting via emotions; seeing things through the prism of ethnicity is comfortable but ultimately a road to perdition." - airwolex.
chendosplastic
Egg
Egg

Post by chendosplastic »

Goldleaf wrote:While Wayne Rooney must not be denied his credit and glory, should Paul Hart, England's WC-bound GK, be clearing the ball into the central area of the field as opposed to the sidelines? If that was Ezenwa or Akpeyi, I swear, man no go hear word for CE today!
Gbam!
"The history book on the shelf is always repeating itself" - ABBA.
"Facts, Logic, truth is the way....stop ranting via emotions; seeing things through the prism of ethnicity is comfortable but ultimately a road to perdition." - airwolex.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

chendosplastic wrote:

You must badmouth Nigerians to make a point, eh? Kontinu.
Go back to pry school and read all editions of New Oxford English Course revolving around Mr & Mrs Bako, maybe you can overcome your comprehension deficit.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

#JoeHart. Wasn't Paul Hart part of the Hart Foundation? Summer Slam 96.

As for Joey not Essex, he'll be benched by the time the Mundial kicks off. The season is exposing him terribly.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The technique he hit the ball with was outstanding. He hit it with his laces. It was not even a lob of gentle push into the net with the side of his foot. That is the second time he has scored a goal from his inside his own half.

When Wazza retires, his greatest goals DVD will be incredible.
Coach wrote:Impeccable technique. First time. Swerve. Elevation. Oga Wayne at his best. Inspired by? Designed by? Calling the shots from the stands...Brigadier General Samuel J Allardyce. Two words. Big.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^the volley vs Newcastle pips the lot. Man City was classic, yesterday's splendid, but crikey that volley was the second coming of Oga Tony Yeboah.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Rooney is a legend.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Rooney top 5 would be:

1) Newcastle volley
2) Man City bicycle kick
3) Lob from inside his own half against WHU - 2013/14 season.
4) Lob from inside his own half against WHU (second one yesterday).
5) Chip against Middlesbrough

Seeing him now as a 32yo veteran, it is easy to forget how utterly terrifying and forceful he was between 16-25. The incredible thing about the volley against Newcastle was that he scored out of anger because he was arguing with the ref and was annoyed that he was about to be subbed off: :shock:

Unfortunately the peak of his career coincided with CR7's presence at Man Utd. When CR7 is around, we know who will get all the attention.

I always remember something that Zlatan said when interviewed in the BBC's "Wayne Rooney: The Man Behind the Goals" documentary. The most telling quote for me in that Rooney documentary was when Zlatan said that when Ronaldo and Rooney played together:
"Rooney did all the work but Ronaldo got all the credit because he was scoring goals."
Zlatan said that many years before he joined Man Utd.

I recall Ferguson playing Rooney as a LM and RM in order to accommodate Ronaldo and his lack of desire to defend. Rooney really used to put in a shift those days: giving Ronaldo lots of assists and doing the water carrying work to give Ronaldo the freedom to do his stuff.
Coach wrote:^the volley vs Newcastle pips the lot. Man City was classic, yesterday's splendid, but crikey that volley was the second coming of Oga Tony Yeboah.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Rooney should have gone to Europe.
Then he would have been a legend in his own right.
Unfortunately, he settled when he got paid and ManU was already going downhill.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^Europe is never a guaranteed success, the language barrier is oft insummountable. In settling at United, he filled his car boot with trophies and in returning to Everton, which will hopefully be his last stop, he's given his story the Roy of the Rovers finish. As far as English football is concerned, he's legend is without question.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

What was so special about that goal? Seen better goals at CHAN

I guess Englishman always does it best ;-)
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

At the peak of his powers, the only "up" moves for Wazza were Madrid and Barca. He was playing for the European champs at Man Utd, earning 300K a week, playing alongside legends like Giggs, Scholes, Van der Sar, CR7. He was champion of his country, continent, and planet, and captain of his national team. What did he gain by going abroad to another country his wife may not like, dragging his kids out of school, learning a new language, and having to adapt to a new culture? No need.

Kabalega wrote:Rooney should have gone to Europe.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...English players are too insecure to fight outside England except a handful, like McManaman who left Liverpool for Madrid.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I think you should mention that going abroad usually means a pay-cut for an English footballer, since the EPL is the highest paying league in the world.
mcal wrote:
...English players are too insecure to fight outside England except a handful, like McManaman who left Liverpool for Madrid.