Which African team has the easiest and the hardest group?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Which African team has the easiest and the hardest group

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Makanaky wrote:Nigeria will get knocked out in the 1st round.
Senegal and Egypt have a very good chance of making it to the 2nd round.

does your Nigerian wife know that you are trying very hard to be the Cameroon equivalent of TFCO?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Cellular wrote:I might be in the minority but I think the continental African teams got a good draw.

The teams in the slightly tougher group know they need to work hard to get out of the group. Get your points early before teams settle in...

The teams I worry about is Senegal and Naijaria... they might become complacent and not put in the necessary graft it takes to beat teams you are supposed to beat.

The strongest team out of continental Africa is Morocco. then Naijaria... Then Egypt... then Senegal and lastly Tunisia. I would have ranked Senegal and Egypt joint second but those teams are overreliant on one player... Sane for Senegal and Salah for Egypt. The other teams are more complete.

Now, I pray that both Sane and Salah remain healthy going into the World Cup... but the way both players play and the number of games they have to play this season, it will be a tall order.

Doesn't Sane play for Germany? Do you mean Mane?
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

truetalk wrote:
Makanaky wrote:Nigeria will get knocked out in the 1st round.
Senegal and Egypt have a very good chance of making it to the 2nd round.
This Plantain dude is yarning dust when World Cup teams are talking. 4-0 is not enough for you. Let them let you host AFCON, and you will collect part 2 of the beating that you were saved from thanks to Victor Moses and a soft penalty.

All the African countries except Tunisia have a fair chance of making the 2nd round.

Senegal have the easiest group, but I worry about their toughness. They were not impressive in qualifying. Burkina dominated them and they have a red card to thank for surviving that game. They only looked OK against Cape Verde and the rescheduled Bafana game.

every time his Naija madam refuses to make plantains for him, he comes here to yarn dust about Naija :lol: :lol: :lol:
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:my beloved tunisia cement footed, awful CB's vs Hazard, sterling, Kane, Debruyne, Lukaku..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dr Congo would have done better in my opinion. They at least have flair upfront.
Tunisia issue is not flair or lack of dynamic players, on the ball by far this is the best Tunisian side that will enter a WC since the golden era team of 78. Issue for this Tunisian side is we're awful defensively, so slow and lumbering at the back. Idea of Syam ben youssef against likes of Hazard, Lukaku, Kane, Sterling will cause many sleepless nights for manager Nabil Maaloul.
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
kajifu wrote:I will be shocked if 3 to 4 African teams don't make last 16.
Nigeria will top their group if they win their first game.Very important win the first game.
Who is SE playing in the second game?
Three teams will qualify to the second round. Only Morocco and Tunisia are not going to make it through
Ayo, who informed you of the highlighted?
Bro, please you need to calm down and don't get burnt out before the tournament.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

ElHadary wrote:I don't understand how Uruguay and Russia make up an "easy group."
Would you rather Argentina and Croatia as your South American and European teams in your group... Or perhaps Brazil and Spain tickle your fancy.

Egypt is in an easy group. If doesn't get any easier in this world cup.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

Cellular wrote:I might be in the minority but I think the continental African teams got a good draw.

The teams in the slightly tougher group know they need to work hard to get out of the group. Get your points early before teams settle in...

The teams I worry about is Senegal and Naijaria... they might become complacent and not put in the necessary graft it takes to beat teams you are supposed to beat.

The strongest team out of continental Africa is Morocco. then Naijaria... Then Egypt... then Senegal and lastly Tunisia. I would have ranked Senegal and Egypt joint second but those teams are overreliant on one player... Sane for Senegal and Salah for Egypt. The other teams are more complete.

Now, I pray that both Sane and Salah remain healthy going into the World Cup... but the way both players play and the number of games they have to play this season, it will be a tall order.
when is the last time you watched Senegal? When they had Fadiga and Camara?

They are not overreliant on Mane, pure nonsense.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Apart from Mane Senegal have at least 5 elite players in Kalidou Koulibaly (Monaco), Cheikhou Kouyate (West Ham), Idrissa Gueye (Everton), Keita Balde (Monaco), Mbaye Niang (Torino)

Not to mention they have attacking players like Ismaila Sarr, Opa Nguette and Moussa Konate, who are the talk of the town in Ligue 1 this season.

If they get their act together this is really a team loaded with enough quality to make a record run. But they don't have Nigeria's team.
ElHadary
Suspended Member

Post by ElHadary »

Heliopolis wrote:
ElHadary wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:
ElHadary wrote:
kastro11 wrote:You can score only 2 goals and still advance. We had a tougher ACN group and scored goals. What makes you think we'll struggle for goals?
Outside of Salah our attack is pretty toothless. My hope is that Abd Rabo and Shikabala are in game shape by the time the WC comes around, if so our offense will be stacked.
All these years later and you're still clueless about our national team. Abd Rabo is a CENTRAL MIDFIELDER who last played for the national team over 3 YEARS AGO :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

He is 33 years old and has averaged about 1 goal per 7 games over his career because again, he is a CENTRAL MIDFIELDER.

Shikabala has been useless for much of his career and even if he makes the WC squad (5% chance), he is unlikely to play a meaningful minute.

Please actually follow the NT and pay attention to details before sharing your 'expert' analysis.
Werent you the dummy who had some sort of sick obsession with $#% talking Fathallah? Listen, just because you live in the frozen wasteland known as Canada where you elect a Disney princess to be your prime minister doesn't mean you can take that teenage angst out on me.
You are the only Egyptian on the planet who thinks Abd Rabo is a striker :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Abd Rabo was one of the few reasons why Meteeb even got any goals. For awhile he was our best ball moving midfielder.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

ElHadary wrote:I don't understand how Uruguay and Russia make up an "easy group."
Maybe not easy but definitely easier group (compared to the rest). Russia isn't just the lowest of the pot1 teams, they are also the lowest seeded team in the entire tourney; Saudi Arabia is what it is. Uruguay is the only challenge.

Or would you prefer to switch groups with Nigeria or Morocco?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Morocco might have 3 points on the log before they face Spain or Portugal. If Spain and Portugal draw in the opening game, that could put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Tunisia are the ones who have it all to do. But draw England and things get pretty interesting.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

theYemster wrote:
Maybe not easy but definitely easier group (compared to the rest). Russia isn't just the lowest of the pot1 teams, they are also the lowest seeded team in the entire tourney; Saudi Arabia is what it is. Uruguay is the only challenge.

KPOM. Russia is plain bad. Home advantage will give them a bump but not by much. Uruguay have Cavani and Suarez so they will always be dangerous but they can be handled. If I was Egyptian I would be optimistic.
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

airwolex wrote:
theYemster wrote:

KPOM. Russia is plain bad. Home advantage will give them a bump but not by much. Uruguay have Cavani and Suarez so they will always be dangerous but they can be handled. If I was Egyptian I would be optimistic.
Egyptian fans who don't realize how easy our group is don't know anything about this sport.

Russia is ranked 65th (worst in the WC) and Saudi Arabia is 63rd (2nd worst in the WC). The best team in the group is undoubtedly Uruguay, which is ranked 21st. I'd much rather take Uruguay than a real top seed like Germany, France, Brazil, or Argentina.

Russia hasn't played much competitive soccer in recent years. When they did, they bombed (last in their Euro 2016 group and 3rd in their Confederations Cup group at home). They wouldn't have qualified for this World Cup. What they obviously have going for them is home field advantage which should never be underestimated. The most comparable examples of weak WC hosts were South Africa in 2010 and the US in 1994. Russia is better than both teams and will finish with at least 4 points (they will beat Saudi Arabia).

Saudi Arabia is the weakest team in the group and will only be rounding out the numbers.

Uruguay is highly likely to advance. They have the most talent including 2 of the best strikers on the planet and a ton of experience under their belts over the past 7 years.
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

ElHadary wrote:
Kabalega wrote:Only one African team might make it to the knockout stages. :shock:

Tunisia might make it too if they get points in their first game against England.
This will be a good World Cup.
Tunisia!? They're going to get devoured by England and especially Belgium.
Tunisia can make it I have faith in them. No b effry time person dey open nyash. Go Africa. Support dem
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

I have absolutely no faith in Tunisia, but god knows I will be crossing my fingers for them and Panama. Just hate England and Belgium...
kastro11
Egg
Egg

Post by kastro11 »

Heliopolis wrote:Egyptian fans who don't realize how easy our group is don't know anything about this sport.

Russia is ranked 65th (worst in the WC) and Saudi Arabia is 63rd (2nd worst in the WC). The best team in the group is undoubtedly Uruguay, which is ranked 21st. I'd much rather take Uruguay than a real top seed like Germany, France, Brazil, or Argentina.

Russia hasn't played much competitive soccer in recent years. When they did, they bombed (last in their Euro 2016 group and 3rd in their Confederations Cup group at home). They wouldn't have qualified for this World Cup. What they obviously have going for them is home field advantage which should never be underestimated. The most comparable examples of weak WC hosts were South Africa in 2010 and the US in 1994. Russia is better than both teams and will finish with at least 4 points (they will beat Saudi Arabia).

Saudi Arabia is the weakest team in the group and will only be rounding out the numbers.

Uruguay is highly likely to advance. They have the most talent including 2 of the best strikers on the planet and a ton of experience under their belts over the past 7 years.
-----------------El Hadary---------------
--Gaber--Gabr--Hegazy--Hafez--
-------------Elneny---Gomaa-----------
------Salah-----Warda----Sobhi-----
--------------------Koka-------------------

This would be something close to my tournament 11. At least for the first match. Cuper will never play a team like that though unfortunately. If Mostafa Fathi is fit, it's going to be difficult to decide who starts on the LW between him/Sobhi/Trezeguet.

Ahmed Fathi and Mohamed Abdel-Shafy should not even be in the squad. Both are major liabilities, and not good enough anymore. Ramy Rabia is also a liability and should never start over Aly Gabr - like he has been recently. Gabr + Hegazy is a solid partnership that we should continue to develop.

Abdullah Said will definitely start in place of Warda. I wouldn't play him though due to Warda's form this season . He's often guilty of turning over possession - my main gripe with him - but he has his qualities.
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

kastro11 wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:Egyptian fans who don't realize how easy our group is don't know anything about this sport.

-----------------El Hadary---------------
--Gaber--Gabr--Hegazy--Hafez--
-------------Elneny---Gomaa-----------
------Salah-----Warda----Sobhi-----
--------------------Koka-------------------

This would be something close to my tournament 11. At least for the first match. Cuper will never play a team like that though unfortunately. If Mostafa Fathi is fit, it's going to be difficult to decide who starts on the LW between him/Sobhi/Trezeguet.

Ahmed Fathi and Mohamed Abdel-Shafy should not even be in the squad. Both are major liabilities, and not good enough anymore. Ramy Rabia is also a liability and should never start over Aly Gabr - like he has been recently. Gabr + Hegazy is a solid partnership that we should continue to develop.

Abdullah Said will definitely start in place of Warda. I wouldn't play him though due to Warda's form this season . He's often guilty of turning over possession - my main gripe with him - but he has his qualities.
We have a chance to advance as long as we go into the Saudi game with at least 2 points. I expect Uruguay and Russia to both beat Saudi. We don't want to go into the game vs Saudi with just 1 point with both Uruguay and Russia sitting on 4 points and just needing a draw for both to advance.

I expect Cuper to have us playing very tight and boring defensive football which I don't mind to be honest. We need to remember that very weak teams such as New Zealand in 2010 were able to remain competitive simply by playing very defensive. We obviously have more talent so we just need to be patient and pick our spots. I much rather use Cuper's style than embarrass ourselves like we did under Shehata by playing a reckless attacking style and conceding 2-4 goals in matches like we did several times during his last 2 years as our manager.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

A lot of this stuff will come down to psychology. Some teams have shown great dignity and fight when facing Oyinbo teams. Others have not. Teams like Egypt and Tunisia tend to not do well. Teams like Senegal and Nigeria have performed well in their games. The jury is still out in Morocco
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

YUJAM wrote:A lot of this stuff will come down to psychology. Some teams have shown great dignity and fight when facing Oyinbo teams. Others have not. Teams like Egypt and Tunisia tend to not do well. Teams like Senegal and Nigeria have performed well in their games. The jury is still out in Morocco
I trust the Moroccans. Remember they thrashed Portugal 3-1 in 1986 and Scotland 3-0 in 1998. Granted, that was eons ago, but Morocco does not seem like the team to give undue respect to any European team. Brazil is another matter, but all African teams respect Brazil much more than is warranted.

Wha choo looking at?!
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
YUJAM wrote:A lot of this stuff will come down to psychology. Some teams have shown great dignity and fight when facing Oyinbo teams. Others have not. Teams like Egypt and Tunisia tend to not do well. Teams like Senegal and Nigeria have performed well in their games. The jury is still out in Morocco
I trust the Moroccans. Remember they thrashed Portugal 3-1 in 1986 and Scotland 3-0 in 1998. Granted, that was eons ago, but Morocco does not seem like the team to give undue respect to any European team. Brazil is another matter, but all African teams respect Brazil much more than is warranted.
Morocco will qualify. Portugal is a poor team.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Senegal, Egypt and Nigeria are sure bankers to qualify
Morocco have an outside chance as Portugal are erratic
I have no confidence in Tunisia advancing

We need at least two teams in the quarter finals
Nigeria must get to the semi finals at least