Nigeria vs Croatia would decide the group

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mate
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria vs Croatia would decide the group

Post by mate »

marutimon wrote:
john12 wrote:No matter how you twist and turn it
Rakitic is better than ndidi
Modric is miles better than Mikel
Kovavic is better than onazi

However, I believe our forwards trio of Iwobi, Moses, Iheanacho and musa are better than their own slow defenders. From now on here no one should be promoting backwater league guys for world cup
Ndidi is better than Rakitic - there are stats to prove it.
Modric is what a propely managed Mikel would be
Onazi is better than Kovacic
This is pretty bold, as Rakitic underpins Messi at Barcelona. Again, on credentials, Rakitic is better. Maybe Ndidi breaks out this WC? But keep in mind, if he's of such caliber, odds are he'd be at a top club already.

Kovavic is at Real Madrid. Gradually being worked into a starting role. Getting to play with Modric there. With a club that's won the CL twice in a row. That's no accident either.

Having strong players on strong clubs in serious roles is the best indicator of success for me. This is why I like this Croatian team better than any since 1998. But as we all know, sure, we have to play the game.

Croatia is not taking Nigeria lightly. The Super-Eagles are capable of beating us. Again, I'm counting on us playing our A game...and of course I'm biased...but I bet our A game is better than yours. If not, I'll still cheer you on and wish Nigeria further success.

Hell, in a strange reality, maybe we both move onwards?
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Kovacic is so great that at age 23 he has played 90 minutes of football in a struggling Real Madrid side, despite costing them 35mln EUR in cash last year...

Rakitic is 29 (going of 30), Ndidi is 20. Both players are different type of players. As it stands Croatia has noone with the destructive capacity of Ndidi. Rakitic is more of a forward player with good passing, so you are comparing apples and oranges.

Rakitic: Whoscored ranking 7,05, 1,3 tackles PG, 0,9 interceptions.
Ndidi: Whoscored ranking 7,06, 3,9 tackles PG, 1,2 interceptions.

Passingwise Rakitic is miles ahead. So - APPLES AND ORANGES.

Defensively Ndidi is something Croatia lacks, but Nigeria has. If anything Rakitic is more like Modric or Mikel.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

This is one of the reasons I created this thread to enlighten Nigerians of Croatians players. Nigerians just speak based on emotions, delusions and not fact. How is ndidi better than Rakitic?? Absolute nonsense even ndidi wasn’t better than Sevilla rakitic let alone Barcelona. Modrich a been rated the best midfielder in Europe for the past 2 seasons yet people here claim mike is better? We should humble ourselves and stop being delusional/arrogant. I still believe that our forwards can damage that slow Croatian backline. Also, we need attacking midfielder or a powerful Box to Box midfilder
Last edited by john12 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

The Croatian back line is the problem. It can give up goals if bombed with pressure. But that also leaves teams open to counters...and this team under the current head coach doesn't sit back and allow itself to be bombed like it did under the previous coach.

The back line isn't also that slow. It was 4 years ago. A lot will depend on Lovren stepping up and realizing his form. Again, the problem is stupid technical errors. Especially on high balls and set pieces. 90 minute composure in the back is our Achilles heel.

I'd also add the lack of reliable 1st class striker. Mandzukic is getting on in age. We don't allow a lot of goals nor score so many. We rely on the midfield to control and pace the game. If you disrupt that, you have a good chance of beating Croatia.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

john12 wrote:This is one of the reasons I created this thread to enlighten Nigerians of Croatians players. Nigerians just speak based on emotions, delicious and not fact. How is ndidi better than Rakitic?? Absolute nonsense even ndidi wasn’t better than Sevilla rakitic let alone Barcelona. Mod rich a been rated the best midfielder in Europe for the past 2 seasons yet people here claim mike is better? We should humble ourselves and stop being delusional/arrogant. I still believe that our forwards can damage that slow Croatian backline. Also, we need attacking midfielder or a powerful Box to Box midfilder
No one said Mikel is better than Modric, just that he is our Modric. He plays much better for Nigeria than for his club. With Modric - if reading Croatian forums tells me anything - is the exact opposite.

Ndidi is 20, Rakitic is 30. Entirely different player. And yes - Ndidi is a way better destroyer, than Rakitic is. (BTW Rakitic actually has regressed at Barcelona, he played better in Sevilla).
And honestly - compare like for like. Does Croatia even have a destructive player like Ndidi or Onazi?

Modric, Rakitic, Rog, Brozovic, Kovacic - all attack minded central midfielders. Who is the DM? Well... they don't have a proper one. The only DM they have starts from the bench (Bradaric, who is way poorer than both Ndidi and Onazi). Croatia do a midfield of Modric, Brozovic and Rakitic, which looks good going forward, but is weak defensively. Their nominal DM I guess would be Brozovic, who averages 0,7 tackles per game. Who exactly in this team is supposed to stop opposing teams from breaking away? Croatia is exactly the type of team Nigeria's gameplan is set up for. A team set up to be vulnerable on the counter and prone to losing a midfield battle. They honestly need a Matic in that midfield.

Croatia basically have a defence, then a huge hole, and then an all out attacking midfield with a Kalinic-Perisic-Mandzukic spear. Not balanced at all. That's why they lost to Iceland. Nigeria's team is more balanced, hence tactically superior.