Troost Ekong interview

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

tmex12
Egg
Egg
Troost Ekong interview

Post by tmex12 »

https://www.ad.nl/buitenlands-voetbal/i ... ~ab185ed5/

'In a group with Argentina? Bring it on!'
Morocco will soon go to the World Cup with players who grew up in the Netherlands. But Nigeria also has such a player in the house. In fact, William Troost-Ekong (24) from Hoofddorp leads the defense of the 'Super Eagles'.

Mikos Gouka 01-12-17, 08:08

There he was last month. The 24-year-old William Troost-Ekong from Hoofddorp. In the presidential palace in the Turkish capital Ankara. On the left of the Bursaspor defender was Muhammadu Buhari, the president of Nigeria. To his right was Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the much-discussed Turkish president.

,,Very special. I did not even have a neat suit, no time for it. I had to pull a shirt out of the closet quickly '', chuckles Troost-Ekong, son of a Dutch mother and a Nigerian father. ,, The presidents had an official meeting and suddenly it was decided to let two Super Eagles trot. It was great for me and my teammate Mikel Agu to experience. ''

Since 2015
I think we would win from the Netherlands. That does not mean that I like Orange to perform less now. I am as much a Dutchman as Nigerian
William Troost-Ekong

A Super Eagle, or international of Nigeria, has been Troost-Ekong since June 13, 2015. When he was selected by the now deceased national coach Stephen Keshi for an international match against Chad. Nigeria moved smoothly for the World Championship under German trainer Gernot Rohr. The draw today in Russia keeps the Nigerians massively chained to the tube. A link today to Brazil or Argentina? Troost-Ekong shrugs his shoulders. The born Haarlemmer recently stood as a player of Nigeria in Russia against the Argentines of the so-cured national coach Jorge Sampaoli. ,, Just won 4-2, '' said the Bursaspor defender, grinning. "Okay, Messi was not there. But I really saw Di Maria, Agüero, Mascherano and Dybala on the field. A group with Argentina? Bring it on.''

The defender played for the Dutch under 19 and the Orange under 20. But at that time there was no prospect of a nice career for the Netherlands. ,, At FC Groningen I had Eric Botteghin in front of me and I only played two league matches. At FC Dordrecht we relegated to the Jupiler League immediately after the promotion. There was no need for me to choose.

"There was a lot of discussion about Sofyan Amrabat last month. Orange wanted him, Morocco too. Then it is for a player to weigh everything against each other. Letting your heart speak, but also looking at the possibilities of countries. Nigeria is not just a football country, you know. We have Alex Iwobi from Arsenal and Victor Moses from Chelsea. Boys who play a significant role in the Premier League. Kelechi Iheanacho and Ahmed Musa do that at Leicester City, John Obi Mikel is still a topper, but now in China. Leon Balogun plays at FSV Mainz.

Yes, I think we would win from the Netherlands. That does not mean that I like Orange to perform less now. I am as much a Dutchman as Nigerian. In the youth selections I played with internationals. I would have liked to see Oranje at the World Cup. ''

Troost-Ekong followed a strange trajectory to get where he is now. His parents did him at a boarding school in England, especially to learn the English language. He played for Bishop's Stortford, Fulham and Tottenham Hotspur, although there was a breakthrough. FC Groningen gave him a chance, but rented him after half a season already to FC Dordrecht. Troost-Ekong: ,, In a match I had walked straight through Quincy Boogers, son of Marco Boogers. When they were looking for a defender, they thought of me. Came through that moment. "

1.91 meters
The people who say that players should not leave early, I respect them. But there are more roads that lead to Rome

In Dordrecht, the 1.91-meter defender played ten matches in the Jupiler League and 22 in the Dutch league. He came to Bursaspor via AA Gent and the Norwegian FK Haugesund. ,, That step to Norway was decisive. There were so many people who wondered aloud what I was going to do there. The same people sometimes call now to ask if I can do something for their players in Norway. ''

Trainer Paul Le Guen, with three times Frans Champion Olympique, was very impressed by the fast Troost Ekong. The Frenchman first became national coach of Nigeria and later the coach of Bursaspor. "Le Guen would succeed Sunday Oliseh, but that did not happen in the end. After he signed at Bursaspor, he hung on the line. Under Rohr we were the first country in Africa to qualify for the 2018 World Cup. We have a very nice team, with many of my teammates I got the semi-finals and the bronze medal at the 2016 Games. ''

In the bus to competitions, teammates sing and dance, and Troost-Ekong sings along happily. ,, Tyronne Ebuehi from ADO is also in the selection. I saw him looking surprised in the bus. But it gets used quickly. My father still lives in Lagos, I have often been in Nigeria. It quickly felt familiar. And whoever performs is quickly included in the group. ''

That he performs well became clear when he came on a shortlist for the election of African footballer of the year. Together with Eric Bailly (Ivory Coast / Manchester United), Karim El Ahmadi (Morocco / Feyenoord), Mohamed Salah (Egypt / Liverpool), Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Gabon / Borussia Dortmund) and Thomas Partey (Ghana / Atletico Madrid). ,, I can not win that prize anymore, know my place. But I was there between '', he says laughing. "Not bad for someone who has chosen a completely different way to get far as a footballer.

The training in the Netherlands is certainly good, but abroad they have different emphases. At Bursaspor and Nigeria I have to defend myself, to eliminate spiers. In the Netherlands they prefer to build you up. The people who say that players do not have to leave early, first take the league and be the best, I respect them, you know. But believe me, there are more ways that lead to Rome. "
asabatex
Egg
Egg
Re: Troost Ekong interview

Post by asabatex »

:thumbs: