Is Nigeria's Group Really a Group of Death?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Is Nigeria's Group Really a Group of Death?

Post by Enugu II »

Each World Cup year it has become chic for the media to claim that Nigeria has been drawn in a Group of Death. Of course, for Nigerians, it is a badge of honour to make the claim. After all, we are just as good as any one else never mind that we are 41 in the world and never mind that we were in Pot 4. We just have to feel good about ourselves.

I ask that we ditch that mentality and look at those draws from an objective eye if there is ever such a thing. I suppose that if there is, then one good measure could be the FIFA rankings, no matter how much we despise it.

For details, click on this link:

https://www.aclsports.com/7382-2/
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
lagos777
Egg
Egg
Re: Is Nigeria's Group Really a Group of Death?

Post by lagos777 »

Enugu II wrote:
Each World Cup year it has become chic for the media to claim that Nigeria has been drawn in a Group of Death. Of course, for Nigerians, it is a badge of honour to make the claim. After all, we are just as good as any one else never mind that we are 41 in the world and never mind that we were in Pot 4. We just have to feel good about ourselves.

I ask that we ditch that mentality and look at those draws from an objective eye if there is ever such a thing. I suppose that if there is, then one good measure could be the FIFA rankings, no matter how much we despise it.

The problem with Nigeria is that we almost always defy FIFA rankings at these competitions because of our inconsistency. We wobble and fumble through the off years (that determine the rankings) and turn it up when the main qualifiers come up. By the time of the draws everyone takes notice of us as a threat ( including the pundits ) but the we are in the lower pots. Our presence is most groups likely makes that group the group of death because we are better than most of the 3rd and 4th pot teams.
Mike Ditka quote :
"I didn't say it in those general terms but I said it like that".
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

lagos777 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

The problem with Nigeria is that we almost always defy FIFA rankings at these competitions because of our inconsistency. We wobble and fumble through the off years (that determine the rankings) and turn it up when the main qualifiers come up. By the time of the draws everyone takes notice of us as a threat ( including the pundits ) but the we are in the lower pots. Our presence is most groups likely makes that group the group of death because we are better than most of the 3rd and 4th pot teams.

No doubt, I believe Nigeria will make it as the did in 2014 when we were the lowest ranked team in our group as well. However, this view of group of death whenever Nigeria is in the Wc hardly ever pans out. There are other groups where lower ranked teams will also end up qualifying.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Irrespective of composition, each group will bare death for two of its constituents. Every group is, in this case, a group of death. If all teams draw their first game, the range of possibilities renders that group all the more perilous. There is no group of death rather groups of known quantities, unknown quantities and all in between. Rest assured a supposed will shock a presumed heavyweight. Have the media not learnt from Iceland and Wales at the Euros, Italy's humbling at the last big dance, death comes to the ball however it chooses.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

No!

Group F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden and South Korea!
and

Group B: Iran, Spain, Portugal and Morocco. Two of the meanest defenses in all qualifiers.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu