Argentines take on our group

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

K
Egg
Egg
Argentines take on our group

Post by K »

It gets more interestin* from page 5
http://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/argent ... 213/page-5
visit the village square
K
Egg
Egg
Re: Argentines take on our group

Post by K »

visit the village square
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Really interesting to see others' perspectives.
See respect....at last. :thumb:

"Nigeria always plays us tough. IN 1994, we had to come from behind thanks to Caniggia, in 2002 we dominated, but could only score one from a corner. 2010, we also dominated, but could only score once from a corner again. 2014, it was a dead rubber game, but they tore through our defense, as they were the only team to attack us. They also tore us apart last month, albeit without Messi."
RiverGaucho

"Nobody takes that last game v Nigeria seriously, let's be real here. Our players were already on the airplane back when we were up 2-0. And the good thing is we have to play them last. If we need a win, we will surely have to go out and attack and as I stated before, I am not sure if Nigeria will be able to sit for long stretches of the match. If we played Iceland in our last match, and who are supposed masters of defending, then it could've been a problem."
Super Mario

"Croatia can't play against teams who have a lot of Aboriginal, African participants. They are much faster. Uruguay and Argentina is mostly made of Europeans.
Batistuta saved you against Nigeria in Japan 2002. I remember that match. They are not so hard. African teams are playful, less discipline. Their advantage is their energy and physical strength. If last things prevail, we can have problems."
Gilbertsson

"Nigeria has been pretty solid for a while, cruising undefeated through the African WCQ. Plus, they did beat us just two weeks ago, regardless of whether or not Messi played. Strangely enough, they are unexpectedly the most stable team of the 4 at the moment."
locoxriver
"Favorable draw, not the easiest group since Nigeria and Croatia are a strong team but we avoid Spain and England.
Lets face it, we all knew there's always 90% chance Nigeria would be in the group with Argentina... even at youth level, we kept facing Nigeria in the final... 1996, 2005, 2008... there's no science that can explain this."
Rattlehead
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Damunk wrote:Really interesting to see others' perspectives.
See respect....at last. :thumb:

"Nigeria always plays us tough. IN 1994, we had to come from behind thanks to Caniggia, in 2002 we dominated, but could only score one from a corner. 2010, we also dominated, but could only score once from a corner again. 2014, it was a dead rubber game, but they tore through our defense, as they were the only team to attack us. They also tore us apart last month, albeit without Messi."
RiverGaucho

"Nobody takes that last game v Nigeria seriously, let's be real here. Our players were already on the airplane back when we were up 2-0. And the good thing is we have to play them last. If we need a win, we will surely have to go out and attack and as I stated before, I am not sure if Nigeria will be able to sit for long stretches of the match. If we played Iceland in our last match, and who are supposed masters of defending, then it could've been a problem."
Super Mario

"Croatia can't play against teams who have a lot of Aboriginal, African participants. They are much faster. Uruguay and Argentina is mostly made of Europeans.
Batistuta saved you against Nigeria in Japan 2002. I remember that match. They are not so hard. African teams are playful, less discipline. Their advantage is their energy and physical strength. If last things prevail, we can have problems."
Gilbertsson

"Nigeria has been pretty solid for a while, cruising undefeated through the African WCQ. Plus, they did beat us just two weeks ago, regardless of whether or not Messi played. Strangely enough, they are unexpectedly the most stable team of the 4 at the moment."
locoxriver
"Favorable draw, not the easiest group since Nigeria and Croatia are a strong team but we avoid Spain and England.
Lets face it, we all knew there's always 90% chance Nigeria would be in the group with Argentina... even at youth level, we kept facing Nigeria in the final... 1996, 2005, 2008... there's no science that can explain this."
Rattlehead

I stopped reading at the highlighted phrase.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Always a guaranteed close game, can nigeria take the initiative this time and score first?
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

marko wrote:Always a guaranteed close game, can nigeria take the initiative this time and score first?
Nigeria scored first in 1994. Argentina still won. They found a way to win in that game with their gamesmanship, and taking advantage of our naivete--our players still tying their shoe laces while Maradona slipped the ball to Canniggia, who bent the ball around Rufai.

At senior level, they always seem to have that extra that takes them past our gra-gra. Inasmuch as we would like to think that we just as good as they are, we are not yet uhuru. We will get there someday.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

ohsee wrote:
marko wrote:Always a guaranteed close game, can nigeria take the initiative this time and score first?
Nigeria scored first in 1994. Argentina still won. They found a way to win in that game with their gamesmanship, and taking advantage of our naivete--our players still tying their shoe laces while Maradona slipped the ball to Canniggia, who bent the ball around Rufai.

At senior level, they always seem to have that extra that takes them past our gra-gra. Inasmuch as we would like to think that we just as good as they are, we are not yet uhuru. We will get there someday.

I think that today our players are up to them though. I doubt if they can get away with that.

Did you see that quick free kick Brahimi took in Constantine trying to take us unawares? Luckily, Balogun was fully switched on and moved to nullify the threat. In 94, we did not have that kind of awareness.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

the counter-punching style favoured by rohr DEPENDS ON our opponents underestimating us
so I'm not sure having the 'respect' of argentina, croatia or iceland increases our chances of progressing
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

smartbrother wrote:the counter-punching style favoured by rohr DEPENDS ON our opponents underestimating us
so I'm not sure having the 'respect' of argentina, croatia or iceland increases our chances of progressing
In the 3 home games of the WCQ, we came all out and did not depend on the counter, and we won those games.

The only game where we were unable to break down an opponent that sat back a bit was against Bafana, and I have anaysed that game in detail here. That is why is may be tough to have Iwobi and Nacho start a game where we are not depending on the counter, & also why (despite what a lot of ignorant folks on here say) Moses Simon (along with Victor Moses) is almost certainly a guaranteed starter in Russia.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

truetalk wrote:
smartbrother wrote:the counter-punching style favoured by rohr DEPENDS ON our opponents underestimating us
In the 3 home games of the WCQ, we came all out and did not depend on the counter, and we won those games.

The only game where we were unable to break down an opponent that sat back a bit was against Bafana,
and I have anaysed that game in detail here. That is why is may be tough to have Iwobi and Nacho start a game where we are not depending on the counter, & also why (despite what a lot of ignorant folks on here say) Moses Simon (along with Victor Moses) is almost certainly a guaranteed starter in Russia.
Proves that our team is average without Mikel & Victor Moses.....................but so is Argentina(Messi) and Brazil(Neymar) to a point!!!!
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
proclaimjesus02
Egg
Egg

Post by proclaimjesus02 »

truetalk wrote:

The only game where we were unable to break down an opponent that sat back a bit was against Bafana, and I have anaysed that game in detail here. That is why is may be tough to have Iwobi and Nacho start a game where we are not depending on the counter, & also why (despite what a lot of ignorant folks on here say) Moses Simon (along with Victor Moses) is almost certainly a guaranteed starter in Russia.

We did not come all out against Cameroon at Uyo.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

proclaimjesus02 wrote:
truetalk wrote:

We did not come all out against Cameroon at Uyo.
Cameroon came all out and were very aggressive in the first 10 - 15 minutes trying to save their WC campaign, but we were not sitting back or playing on the counter. We created about 6 good scoring opportunities in that 1st half.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

I used to be on Bigsoccer years ago and wow, the level of knowledge and respect for all opponents has increased exponentially. Almost nobody is boasting about how they are going to roll over so so and so. Even the Mexicans who have an over inflated opinion of their football prowess are being cautious. Football has really changed. :D

Our group is okay. Depends on which SE shows up. We can beat Croatia and Iceland if we play smart and aggressive, if not those two teams are good enough to beat us. I doubt if we can hang with Argentina, but you never know.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Messi can destroy any team on his day, that is the lethal weapon they will bring, against Iceland, they will put numbers in defence and make it difficult for Messi, it is not going to be a high scoring game, i predict if argentina wins that, it will be the odd goal by a typical messi brillance, against Nigeria, they will try to catch the defenders napping, just hope nigeria has already gone through before we face argentina, Nigeria will definitely score in that game but messi will make the difference
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko