Croatian coach says he did not want "fearless" Nigeria

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Croatian coach says he did not want "fearless" Nigeria

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Zlatko Dalic, head coach of the Croatian national team, has bemoaned his team’s ill-luck after they were paired with Nigeria at the FIFA World Cup draw here in Moscow on Friday, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

The manager who guided his team to a play-off victory over Greece to qualify for the 2018 World Cup said Nigeria was the one African team he had hoped to avoid meeting at the group stages. Reacting to a direct question from completesportsnigeria.com, Dalic said he has followed the Nigerian team because of the young and fantastic players paraded by the Super Eagles.

“I know your team very well. They are a very good side. They finished the qualifiers unbeaten and are not afraid of anybody. I’m not very happy to have Nigeria in my group. All of their players are in Europe and they are very unpredictable to play against. It is our first game and it will be difficult for us to play against your team,” he said.

On his team’s preparations for the World Cup, the 51-year old former footballer reckons that work will start immediately in order to have a good outing at the competition next year in Russia.

He said: “We now know our opponents and we must go and start work immediately. We have to go and look for video tapes of the games of all our opponents but I know it’s not going to be easy to play these teams, especially Nigeria.”

Argentina and Iceland are the two other teams in Group D

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/c ... ria-group/
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Croatian coach says he did not want "fearless" Nigeria

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Croatian midfielder, Mateo Kovacic and winger, Marko Pjaca, are expecting a tough opening fixture against Nigeria at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.‎

The Europeans who will also confront former champions Argentina and debutants Iceland in Group D of the tournament will face the Super Eagles on June 16 at the Kaliningrad Stadium. Kovacic, who plays for European champions Real Madrid describes the Super Eagles as a tricky opponent but states that his team will go all out for a win against the three-time African champions.

“Argentina has a great team, we got to just know how good Iceland is in the qualifiers and African teams are always tricky to play against. But just like I am sure we are facing 3 very good opponents, I am sure that we will enter each game with plan to win and get 3 points,” Kovacic tweets on his Twitter handle.

Pjaca, a winger who has been capped 13 times by Croatia and currently in the books of Italian side Juventus labels the Super Eagles a dangerous opponent.

“A tough group, but we knew we had no easy opponents. Argentina has the top stars, Iceland who, after the excellent European championship, continued the series of great results and dangerous Nigeria. It will certainly be difficult for us, but it has to be,” reads a Tweet on Pjaca’s Twitter handle.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/r ... er-eagles/
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Fearless wetin? You are a yeye coach if you cannot see that the SE are clear underdogs and you should instruct your team to look beyond that easy walk-over fixture and think of Argentina and Iceland.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

YemiBrazil wrote:Fearless wetin? You are a yeye coach if you cannot see that the SE are clear underdogs and you should instruct your team to look beyond that easy walk-over fixture and think of Argentina and Iceland.
Kpom! He should see us as an easy job and trading session for the more serious tests against Iceland and Argentina.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

For once, I like what Croatian players and coaches are saying. We usually shoot our mouth off. Giving the opponent less respect.

I'm hoping these statements signal a new maturity. Croatians and Nigerians have a lot in common here. At the end of the day, you never know what kind of Nigerian or Croatian teams show up on the day.

Here's hoping both play their past. That's ultimately what I hope for...and then may the best team indeed win.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Zlatko Dalic, head coach of the Croatian national team, has bemoaned his team’s ill-luck after they were paired with Nigeria at the FIFA World Cup draw here in Moscow on Friday, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

The manager who guided his team to a play-off victory over Greece to qualify for the 2018 World Cup said Nigeria was the one African team he had hoped to avoid meeting at the group stages. Reacting to a direct question from completesportsnigeria.com, Dalic said he has followed the Nigerian team because of the young and fantastic players paraded by the Super Eagles.

“I know your team very well. They are a very good side. They finished the qualifiers unbeaten and are not afraid of anybody. I’m not very happy to have Nigeria in my group. All of their players are in Europe and they are very unpredictable to play against. It is our first game and it will be difficult for us to play against your team,” he said.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/c ... ria-group/
What else would he have said? He said what he was meant to say - diplomacy at its best
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

YemiBrazil wrote:Fearless wetin? You are a yeye coach if you cannot see that the SE are clear underdogs and you should instruct your team to look beyond that easy walk-over fixture and think of Argentina and Iceland.
The coach said what he is supposed to say. However, deep down in his mind, he could be rejoicing
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

The other teams are being modest and giving us respect...but over here we are making mouf like poff poff lover!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Odas wrote:
The coach said what he is supposed to say. However, deep down in his mind, he could be rejoicing
Yemi does not understand the oyinbo mentality, they will praise an underdog saying all the nice things even when they already have you figured out. There is a reason oyinbo rarely do this dirty talj or boasting....they love to sell you a dummy.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

:thumbs:

mate wrote:For once, I like what Croatian players and coaches are saying. We usually shoot our mouth off. Giving the opponent less respect.

I'm hoping these statements signal a new maturity. Croatians and Nigerians have a lot in common here. At the end of the day, you never know what kind of Nigerian or Croatian teams show up on the day.

Here's hoping both play their past. That's ultimately what I hope for...and then may the best team indeed win.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

oloye wrote:The other teams are being modest and giving us respect...but over here we are making mouf like poff poff lover!
Ha ha ha ha. In all fairness, Rohr and the NFF have been modest too. This is just a fans forum and like all other fans we are going all out for our team.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Trying to lead nigeria into a false sense of security haha, if nigeria brings its A game to croatia, especially the 2nd haöf against argentina, many teams will struggle with the pace
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
AreaStarr
Egg
Egg
Location: By the Bar as usual hand full of liquor puffing on a sweet swisher!

Post by AreaStarr »

The likes of Ayo "10 points" Akinfe will buy into what the Croation coach is saying.
Last edited by AreaStarr on Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Gassing us up for the kill. Typical. :)
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Elexus
Egg
Egg

Post by Elexus »

The Croats are very creative. They have midfielders with tremendous work rate. It is going to be a bloodbath in this group. And I hate to play against Iceland. Iceland would pack the bus and hit on the counter. Nigeria have problems playing against teams that pack the bus. It was very easy to win our world cup group because none of the teams came out defensively.
Nigeria have rarely lost matches in which the opposing teams were offensive minded. So it is important not to lose the first game against the Croats.
But be rest-assured that on June 16, the Croats will come to play.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Yes I have always, said that in open-play, Nigeria stands a chance against ANY opposition. Not that we would win, but there is a chance.

But against a compact side that is VERY GOOD, our chance would be minuscule.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
ElHadary
Suspended Member

Post by ElHadary »

Tbite wrote:Yes I have always, said that in open-play, Nigeria stands a chance against ANY opposition. Not that we would win, but there is a chance.

Sounds like you're describing what's in your pants.
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

Does Ayo only show up when Nigeria qualifies for AFCON or the World cup?
Patrick Ntsoelengo,Nelson Dladla,Petros Nzimande, Abednigo Ngcobo,Doctor Khumalo,Vusi Lamola,Gerald Dlamini,Simom Lehoko,Silvester Kole,Lucas Radebe,Jan Lichaba, Leonard Likoebe,Edson Mguyo, Arie Khongoane,Marks Maponyanye,Donald Khuse, Jabu Pule, Mark Tovey, Zebulon Nhlapo,Gabriel Tikkie Khoza,Moran Khulu,Michael Dlamini,Johannes Mofokeng, Wellinton Manyathi,Jingles Perreira....... to be continued....Amhakhosi Kaizer Chiefs!!!!!!!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

ElHadary wrote:
Tbite wrote:Yes I have always, said that in open-play, Nigeria stands a chance against ANY opposition. Not that we would win, but there is a chance.

If you had spent less time thinking about what was in my pants and more time preparing for the WC, you wouldn't have qualified ONCE in my lifetime.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
ElHadary
Suspended Member

Post by ElHadary »

Tbite wrote:
ElHadary wrote:

If you had spent less time thinking about what was in my pants and more time preparing for the WC, you wouldn't have qualified ONCE in my lifetime.
I'm personally not tasked with qualifying for the WC, but qualifying once in your 12 year lifespan isn't such a bad thing.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Mzekezeke wrote:Does Ayo only show up when Nigeria qualifies for AFCON or the World cup?
yes
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

metalalloy wrote:
Mzekezeke wrote:Does Ayo only show up when Nigeria qualifies for AFCON or the World cup?
yes

They guy is a keen observer.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Nigeria struggles against organised european sides that hardly give anything away, Iceland match will be tough, the argentines even with messi will find it hard to beat them, they will put men behind the ball and messi will need to come up with some magic to beat them, if iceland scores first, argentines sre in trouble
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko