How many teams can ever win the World Cup

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
How many teams can ever win the World Cup

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

For now, only eight teams have ever won the World Cup:

Brazil
Germany
Italy
Argentina
Uruguay
France
Spain
England

If you ask me, in our lifetime, teams that have the potential to join this elite club include:

[1] Holland - They always produce world class players
[2] Nigeria - Our population will always ensure that talent comes through. Now, it is taking a new dimension with the diaspora
[3] Japan - Are investing a lot in their football and producing players. It is only a matter of time before this starts yielding dividends
[4] South Africa - Another country that has the potential to produce players. It has the best league in Africa and it is only a matter of time before the townships start producing Lionel Messi's
[5] Mexico - Over the years, football has gradually taken over from wrestling as Mexico's national sport. They have a rich World Cup tradition and I take the view that they are the only country in the Americas ready to catch up with Brazil and America at the moment

Over the longer term, countries that are sleeping giants and have the potential to become footballing giants if they get their acts together include:

[1] China
[2] India
[3] Russia
[4] South Korea
[5] Pakistan
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: How many teams can ever win the World Cup

Post by Kabalega »

Iceland
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

Holland

Mexico

Portugal

Wildcard: USA. They have most of the tools you need to win a World Cup (a decent league, talent pool, money, professionalism). I wouldn't be surprised if they win it within the next 30 years.

The other consideration is the World Cup is going to become less predictable beginning in 2026 with the expanded number of teams and new format. It'll become easier to qualify for the WC and WC KO-Round (now 32 teams). Weaker teams can park the bus and string together a few narrow wins (and PK wins) to the WC final.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Heliopolis wrote:Holland

Mexico

Portugal

Wildcard: USA. They have most of the tools you need to win a World Cup (a decent league, talent pool, money, professionalism). I wouldn't be surprised if they win it within the next 30 years.

The other consideration is the World Cup is going to become less predictable beginning in 2026 with the expanded number of teams and new format. It'll become easier to qualify for the WC and WC KO-Round (now 32 teams). Weaker teams can park the bus and string together a few narrow wins (and PK wins) to the WC final.
Not enough American kids play the game though. As per Portugal, they are too small a nation in my opinion.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Kabalega wrote:Iceland
that should shame Uganda. But they've won nothing
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!