Comments on refereeing of FRA - NGA. Read and weep

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Comments on refereeing of FRA - NGA. Read and weep

Post by marko »

john12 wrote:We all know Fifa is a corrupt organization but it still not going to negate the fact that we deserved to lose against France judging by the overall game.

Nigeria had france by the balls but poor decisions by enyeama and the defence ensured we lost
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

marko wrote:The world cup referee in the 1994 game Nigeria vs argentina is my good friend, we met in a project last hear and we are pretty close, can remember that game, his decisions were a bit suspect, told me one or 2 things about FIFA, corrupt to the core
I'm not sure the ref ever blew before Maradona passed that ball to Cannigia for Argentina's 2nd goal.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

bret- hart wrote:Our players and coaching staff was naïve on the day. When Evra fowled Osaze, our players should have surrounded Gieger and demanded a pk. When that imbecile Girould Elbowed Mikel, Mikel should have fell on the floor like he had been shot by a sniper and our players and coaching crew should have screamed at the ref. Keshi and Amocahi should have been on the Assistant ref face all day. As for Matuidi fowl on Onazi, that was criminal refereeing and yet again our players did not demand a red. Had our players especially Yobo, Osaze, Mikel and Emenike showed leadership on the day, I am confident we would have beaten those French fuuks. Oh and fuuk Mark Geiger that New jersey sewer rat. :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:
That highlight was daylight robbery. He simply embraced Osaze right inside the box. Can only be equalled by Italy's wrestling down of goal bound Yekini at the 1994 World Cup. It was ridiculous. This is why I say regardless of problems with the Video Reviews, It SHOULD BE USED. It will help in officiating in all games at the WC. Yes, referees still retain discretion but the video will expose their decisions to the rest of the world.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

marko wrote:The world cup referee in the 1994 game Nigeria vs argentina is my good friend, we met in a project last hear and we are pretty close, can remember that game, his decisions were a bit suspect, told me one or 2 things about FIFA, corrupt to the core
So are you interested in telling us he's your friend or revealing the corrupt practices of FIFA? So far, not revealing how they are corrupt is protecting them to carry on doing the same thing
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

bret- hart wrote:Our players and coaching staff was naïve on the day. When Evra fowled Osaze, our players should have surrounded Gieger and demanded a pk. When that imbecile Girould Elbowed Mikel, Mikel should have fell on the floor like he had been shot by a sniper and our players and coaching crew should have screamed at the ref. Keshi and Amocahi should have been on the Assistant ref face all day. As for Matuidi fowl on Onazi, that was criminal refereeing and yet again our players did not demand a red. Had our players especially Yobo, Osaze, Mikel and Emenike showed leadership on the day, I am confident we would have beaten those French fuuks. Oh and fuuk Mark Geiger that New jersey sewer rat. :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:

WHen they call African teams naive, we start complaining. But the truth is that African teams are very naive.

One of the things that "sweeted my belle" against Algeria was how our players got under their skin. And even tried to get their players sent off! We are learning. :clap: :clap: :clap:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

john12 wrote:The tackle was risky but wasn’t intentional. Therefore, it was upon the referee discretion to give a red card. Anyway, we didn’t deserve to win that game at all. France dominated from start to finish despite not playing at full gear. We barely created chances and our goalie was saving multiple shots
You do realize that:

1. Red Card has NOTHING to do with intention; and

2. You can NEVER EVER EVER determine someone's intention because you are NOT in their mind.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

pajimoh wrote:
So are you interested in telling us he's your friend or revealing the corrupt practices of FIFA? So far, not revealing how they are corrupt is protecting them to carry on doing the same thing

Dont need to go into much detail, we all saw how corrupt FIFA are, at least a lot of top hierarchy had to leave, football is big business, nobody wants to see the underdogs win especially from a sponsorship perspective, the referee will give the top rated teams the benefit of the doubt everytime, you have to beat them to submission, especially African sides and they will give them an extra 5 minutes to even things out, is it fair?? No life is not fair, African sides make the referee job easier when some of them come with their ancient football, the highly organised sides will always come up with a way to beat african sides, they practice everything to the detail, nothing is left out, meanwhile african sides are somehow stranded at training camps, if not, they fighting over unpaid bonuses, then they start sharing hard cash at hotels which causes distractions, meanwhile the opponents are watching videos or just relaxing, Then we really expect us to beat these sides?? Really?? I just hope there are no distractions next year, everything has to be smooth
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

marko wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

Dont need to go into much detail, we all saw how corrupt FIFA are, at least a lot of top hierarchy had to leave, football is big business, nobody wants to see the underdogs win especially from a sponsorship perspective, the referee will give the top rated teams the benefit of the doubt everytime, you have to beat them to submission, especially African sides and they will give them an extra 5 minutes to even things out, is it fair?? No life is not fair, African sides make the referee job easier when some of them come with their ancient football, the highly organised sides will always come up with a way to beat african sides, they practice everything to the detail, nothing is left out, meanwhile african sides are somehow stranded at training camps, if not, they fighting over unpaid bonuses, then they start sharing hard cash at hotels which causes distractions, meanwhile the opponents are watching videos or just relaxing, Then we really expect us to beat these sides?? Really?? I just hope there are no distractions next year, everything has to be smooth
marko, WATCHING GAMES...

...I've seen signs that sometimes the refs give the benefit of doubt to the name teams, not necessarily for business reasons but as a human tendency - no price to pay for going against the unknown team but hell to pay when it's against the giants. So for the lesser known teams to have a call in their favor, there has to be non-discretionary. Even if the ref has something against the better known teams. BTW, this happens even in pro sports in all leagues.

I agree that African teams come with off-field problems which add to their undoing. That said, I think that's a different subject and the refs have no right to factor that in.
Bell
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Everyone can point to one example of bad referee call.

The SE did not lose cus of the ref; he was not that decisive. We were beaten fair and square. Time to move on.

We have a WC ahead of us...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

txj wrote:Everyone can point to one example of bad referee call.

The SE did not lose cus of the ref; he was not that decisive. We were beaten fair and square. Time to move on.

We have a WC ahead of us...
I wish it were only one bad example.

Not getting a PK for Evra's bear hug on Osaze in the box, losing Onazi to Matuidi's thuggery + not getting a man advantage from the non-call on the RC. I am not even mentioning Emenike's disallowed goal and Giroud's elbow on Mikel (OK, I mentioned them :mrgreen: )
All those factors played no role in the outcome of the match? Really? :blink:

Anyway I agree we should move on, but in the proper way. We need to reference refereeing bias against non marquee teams, even if it is in the subtlest way, in every WC media event. Every single one, so that referee assisted loss will not be in vain.

Wha choo looking at?!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

john12 wrote:France dominated from start to finish despite not playing at full gear. We barely created chances and our goalie was saving multiple shots
That’s a lie. You must’ve been blind on the day. We controlled the game from start until onazi was intentionally injured on what should’ve been a straight red including a great goal that most officiating crews would’ve let stand. Lack of depth cost us ultimately and poor referring I wouldn’t totally blame but it certainly didn’t help.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

We were beaten fair and square you guys keep ranting about Onazi removal but failed to realize that even with Onazi eagles failed to create chances while enyeama kept on saving us multiple times. We were beaten fair and square just move on and build your team. Moral victories and excuses doesn’t count
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

zee wrote:
john12 wrote:Once again stop lying. We were never dominant in their other half we were just passing the ball around in our half without posing a real threat or creating any opportunities while frances created multiple chances from start to finish. This moral victory nonsense has to stop! We deservedly lost with and without Onazi
just shut up and go online re-watch the match till Onazi's exit.
I just can't stand buffoons. :mrgreen:

Why you bother answer am?
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

danfo driver wrote:

WHen they call African teams naive, we start complaining. But the truth is that African teams are very naive.

One of the things that "sweeted my belle" against Algeria was how our players got under their skin. And even tried to get their players sent off! We are learning. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Yes because they are confident and want results no matter who the opposition are,the team against France didn't even react to the treatment they where receiving from France?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Big teams often come with big managers that FIFA are scared of, they will complain if the officiating is poor and threaten brimstone, the referees will even be scared to screw up or they will never officiate a game, you often see the managers trying to bully the referee assistant, they know what they are doing, African managers need to learn these finer aspects of the game, dont just turn up and play for 90 minutes, football has gone past that stage, The Nigeria and croatian game will be fair because both sre not considered big teams, when you play argentina, any simulation, the ref will blow, like i said, Nigeria has to beat teams into submission like they did in 1994 and nearly in 1998, any unpaid bonus crap or threatening not to play, they will surely take the 1st flight out of Russia

Marko
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

truetalk wrote:It was another hack job by the ref on us. Probably the worst one since the U-20 World Cup.

Emenike's goal should have counted. We should have had a penalty, and the French should have been down to 9 men.

Ultimately, all those factors, and to a bigger extent, our own internal issues, go the better of us. It is still always up to Nigeria to defeat Nigeria. A couple of our own issues.

1) There were about 7 players who had no business in a WC in that team. Zee, you love Keshi, and he is a Nigerian hero, but maybe you should speak to Ideye about the messy business the led to him missing the WC. We can't overcome some of our issues if we don't address them.

2) Fighting over money. The team was up till the wee hours of game day fighting/ having meetings over money and bonuses.

3) Once Onazi went off, and we had to look to the bench, the impact of those 7 passengers was felt. Gabriel Ruben (who was up and coming during the qualifiers, but had been out for a year injured) really looked like he did not belong to the field. The maligned Ramon Azeez may have been a better sub.

4) Enyeama and Yobo donated goals to the French. Many have their heads in the sand here, but Enyeama costs us an much as he helps us. The French game was a good example.
How can anyone who knows football claim Emenikes goal was not offside??? Even a blind man could see that it was!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Gochino some of these people are just delusional. They speak based on emotions and not fact. I have watched emenike goal multiple times and it was a clear offside idk why people keep saying otherwise. Anyway like I said we lost fair and square just keep it moving and improve
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

I remain worried about refereeing decisions at the senior World Cup level especially against African countries. We need to get Amaju Melvin Pinnick to raise this with Gianni Infantino before the tournament so that the referees can be read the riot act. When good african teams line up against the traditional pre-tournament favourites, that is when dodgy refereeing decisions come into play.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Emenike's goal was obviously offside, but the rest stands:
- no penalty after a bearhug in the penalty area
- no red card for an elbow that the referee SAW!
- no red card for a potentially career ending foul
- not to mention several other fouls that were at least yellow card worthy.

Up until the Onazi injury Nigeria was better in the game, had the better chances and France was lost.

The sole reason I can think of that Nigeria deserved to lose is that the bench was so atrocious that Reuben practically handed France the game. But the fact is that before Reuben entered the field Nigeria should have probably been 1:0 up (penalty) and playing against 9 men.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

O, and by the way - the hack Mark Geiger will be at the World Cup:
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/11/nig ... world-cup/

African teams need to protest any match where he is chosen to be the official.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Had the better chances? That’s a false lie. Enyeama was the one saving us also France hit the bar twice when onazi was on the pitch. People should stop lying the highlights are still on youtube
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

To my mind, there have been two WCs where naiveté and a
lack of street smarts has been debilitating - '94 and '14.
In '98, our overconfidence was fatal. In '02, we were simply
out of our depth. In '10, it was a case of Keitarama among
other things.

This time around, we have a team capable of going deep in
the tournament. However, our game management particularly
during the knock out stages will be vital. This is the one area
where the relative youth of our team will NOT be an asset.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

gochino wrote:
truetalk wrote:It was another hack job by the ref on us. Probably the worst one since the U-20 World Cup.

Emenike's goal should have counted. We should have had a penalty, and the French should have been down to 9 men.

Ultimately, all those factors, and to a bigger extent, our own internal issues, go the better of us. It is still always up to Nigeria to defeat Nigeria. A couple of our own issues.

1) There were about 7 players who had no business in a WC in that team. Zee, you love Keshi, and he is a Nigerian hero, but maybe you should speak to Ideye about the messy business the led to him missing the WC. We can't overcome some of our issues if we don't address them.

2) Fighting over money. The team was up till the wee hours of game day fighting/ having meetings over money and bonuses.

3) Once Onazi went off, and we had to look to the bench, the impact of those 7 passengers was felt. Gabriel Ruben (who was up and coming during the qualifiers, but had been out for a year injured) really looked like he did not belong to the field. The maligned Ramon Azeez may have been a better sub.

4) Enyeama and Yobo donated goals to the French. Many have their heads in the sand here, but Enyeama costs us an much as he helps us. The French game was a good example.
How can anyone who knows football claim Emenikes goal was not offside??? Even a blind man could see that it was!
I write based on what I saw live in the stadium. I had not seen the highlights before yesterday. It was marginally off, but it does not negate any of the other points.