Ex Super Eagle and Shooting star Peter Obanor in town.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Mr Shows
Egg
Egg
Re: Ex Super Eagle and Shooting star Peter Obanor in town.

Post by Mr Shows »

Yiba wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:Nice one Yiba :thumb: Great interview

On a side note, what's up with Bazee lately? Are his injuries behind him now?
The good news is that he has returned to training. This week, he trained without pains but he has a lot of catching up to do. Basically, he needs time to make it to the bench. He won't play against Hoffenheim tomorrow.
Thanks Yiba, really keen to see this lad in the GWG. What is your personal take
on him, since you are a bit more up close?
Yiba
Egg
Egg

Post by Yiba »

Mr Shows wrote:
Yiba wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:Nice one Yiba :thumb: Great interview

On a side note, what's up with Bazee lately? Are his injuries behind him now?
The good news is that he has returned to training. This week, he trained without pains but he has a lot of catching up to do. Basically, he needs time to make it to the bench. He won't play against Hoffenheim tomorrow.
Thanks Yiba, really keen to see this lad in the GWG. What is your personal take
on him, since you are a bit more up close?
If he is injury free, he is a delight to watch. I have followed his career closely and he would be a blessing for SE, especially with Rohr to ease communication on the pitch.
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Yiba wrote:I met Obanor shortly before the Bayern game against PSG started and below are the questions I asked him on a cold winter evening. Enjoy!

Yiba: You made your debut for the NNB star team in 1988. What are your memories?

Obanor: I made my debut for NNB in WAFU cup in the match against ASEC Mimosa of ivory Coast featuring Tarila Okoronwanta and Henry Nwosu. The match ended 1-1 and I made my impact.It was a very interesting and wonderful match, and thanks to Alabi Aissien the coach and man who brought me into the limelight. Coach Aissien talked to me before the match and gave me confidence. I walked into the field with a vision to conquer the world.However as the national anthem was being played, my confidence dropped. Luckily coach Aisien was on the sidelines to give me instructions on what to do. I remember that I was wearing the number nine jersey.

Yiba: Do you remember the many battles with Oloye back in the days?

Obanor:(Laughs) Oloye came to NNB in 1988 after the team was relegated in 1987 from the league and Alabi Aisien was trying to revive the club. And we had a wonderful time!

Yiba: What are your memories of later playing for Bendel Insurance of Benin?

Obanor: After NNB disbanded, I made my way to Insurance training uninvited. The supporters harassed me. They asked, why was I interested to play for Insurance after NNB? Luckily the chairman of Insurance Late F.S Uwaifo allowed me to train and the rest is history.

Yiba: What are your most cherished moments at 3SC?

Obanor: Great club! I left Bendel Insurance for Shooting in 1991 on loan for three months because Insurance refused to give me clearance when the professional league started. I went back in 1998. The fans in Ibadan love football and I have fond memories of the hospitality. I remember I used to tank my car free of charge at fuel stations or eat free of charge in restaurants. Thanks to Fatai Oyedeji every Sunday morning on the radio, he used to inform Ibadan fans what Peter Obanor did on the field.

Yiba: What were your worst moments at 3SC?

Obanor: My worst moment was when I had my injury against an Egyptian team(Ahly national) in the champions league. As soon as the match started, I went in to contest with my opponent, only to have a nagging knee injury.

Yiba: What would you consider the major problem of 3SC, especially you were there when the team won the league in 1998 and then relegated the next year?

Obanor: What happened was that after winning the league in 1998 everything they promised us, they refused to deliver. Even the match bonus was not paid, and salaries were not forthcoming. Players were not training anymore and that lead to the relegation of 3SC.

Yiba: Did 3SC players get plots of the land promised by the Oyo state government for winning the league?

Obanor: After winning the league, the former governor of Oyo state, Oyakhire gave us the land and certificate of occupancy. Later democracy came and Adeshina became the governor. They told us we should bring the papers, and that they want to show us the plots of land. As I am talking to you today nothing has come out of it.

Yiba: What is your view on the appointment of your former teammate Eddie Agoye as 3SC's new head coach?

Obanor: I think it is a great step. Eddie Agoye was a great player and he will make a good coach. Based on the determination of Eddie, I think Shooting is heading somewhere.

Yiba: Do you still follow 3SC and activities around the club?

Obanor: Shooting will forever remain in my heart. Because Ibadan is the best place that I ever lived in my life and I do follow the activities of the club.

Yiba: Are you related to Ehrun Obanor(defender) who plays for Fürth in the second division here in Germany?

Obanor: No. We are not related. Obanor is a popular name in Benin.

Yiba: Do you still dread the encounters with Felix Pilakyaa of BCC?

Obanor: He was a great player!

Yiba: Why is it difficult these days for home-based players to play for Super Eagles?

Obanor: Maybe it is due to the commitment and the program put in place. But right now with Gernot Rohr, I hope it is different.

Yiba: What are your views about the Super Eagles group for the World cup in Russia?

Obanor: The present team is fantastic and the boys like Iwobi or Victor Moses are ready to roll. They only need to have the ability that they can do it.

Yiba: What are you up to these days?

Obanor: I am into import and export of cars and spare parts. I shuttle between Europe and Nigeria and I am very happy with it.

Yiba: Thank you very much Peter Obanor!

Obanor: Thank you!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Lovely Yiba
keep it up

NNB was actually relegated 1988 after finishing 2nd 1987
1991 season ending, the loan he is referring to was when 6 of them including Muisi Ajao, Roland Ewere, Mfon Bassey and Maxwell Osayamwen signed for Shooting but could not play for them at the start of the new 92 season because Insurance refused to issue clearance and they were thus suspended indefinitely. It was lifted 2 months into the season but they had to return and play for Bendel
Ibadan fans started waiting for them because the collected money
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Nice interview. You forgot to ask the age question :mrgreen:
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Yiba

Thanks for the interview report.
I really liked his mention of Aisien who I believe was one of Nigeria's best coaches. You may know that Amodu's first coaching stint was under Aisien at Mighty Jets. Aisien was trained in Germany and was responsible for the historical achievements made by both Vasco da Gama and Bendel Insurance.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Yiba
Egg
Egg

Post by Yiba »

megapro wrote:

1991 season ending, the loan he is referring to was when 6 of them including Muisi Ajao, Roland Ewere, Mfon Bassey and Maxwell Osayamwen signed for Shooting but could not play for them at the start of the new 92 season because Insurance refused to issue clearance and they were thus suspended indefinitely. It was lifted 2 months into the season but they had to return and play for Bendel
Ibadan fans started waiting for them because the collected money
Thanks, Megapro.

The loan incident with Insurance happened thrice in his career. Also, he faced hostility from Insurance fans after NNB was disbanded. You know the cardinal mistake of switching from NNB to Ogbe stadium landlord(Insurance)
Yiba
Egg
Egg

Post by Yiba »

bamenda boy wrote:Nice interview. You forgot to ask the age question :mrgreen:
Well, I know his age and it would serve no purpose to ask him on the record.
Yiba
Egg
Egg

Post by Yiba »

Enugu II wrote:Yiba

I really liked his mention of Aisien who I believe was one of Nigeria's best coaches. You may know that Amodu's first coaching stint was under Aisien at Mighty Jets. Aisien was trained in Germany and was responsible for the historical achievements made by both Vasco da Gama and Bendel Insurance.
Aisien was a great coach but I do not think he was highly respected in Benin. IMHO, he stayed too long in Benin.

Apart from Amodu, I do not know of any other coach that benefitted from his knowledge. There were others like Palmer Iyasere or maybe Broderick or Izelien
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Yiba wrote:

Aisien was a great coach but I do not think he was highly respected in Benin. IMHO, he stayed too long in Benin.

Apart from Amodu, I do not know of any other coach that benefitted from his knowledge. There were others like Palmer Iyasere or maybe Broderick or Izelien
I am surprised by that statement above. Were they disrespecting him because of the surprise exits in the continental cup contests or what were the reasons?

The guy came to Enugu and made Vasco great overnight and he masterminded defeat of Rangers in the league and came very close to winning the league if Vasco had not been robbed in Lagos v Stores. In Benin, he changed a route-one playing Bendel Insurance to a team focused on possession. Insurance, under him was a beauty to watch along with Raccah Rovers. They were ahead of both Rangers and IICC in 78/79. In fact based on his exploits he was to be appointed the coach to the NT that went to AFCON 1980 but it was torpedoed last minute and instead a panel of coaches was appointed which led to Aisien then declining the appointment out of anger. Later on, that panel was replaced with Otto Gloria.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Yiba
Egg
Egg

Post by Yiba »

Enugu II wrote:
Yiba wrote:

I am surprised by that statement above. Were they disrespecting him because of the surprise exits in the continental cup contests or what were the reasons?

The guy came to Enugu and made Vasco great overnight and he masterminded defeat of Rangers in the league and came very close to winning the league if Vasco had not been robbed in Lagos v Stores. In Benin, he changed a route-one playing Bendel Insurance to a team focused on possession. Insurance, under him was a beauty to watch along with Raccah Rovers. They were ahead of both Rangers and IICC in 78/79. In fact based on his exploits he was to be appointed the coach to the NT that went to AFCON 1980 but it was torpedoed last minute and instead a panel of coaches was appointed which led to Aisien then declining the appointment out of anger. Later on, that panel was replaced with Otto Gloria.
Enugu II,

I think given the type of man Aisien was, he was regarded in some quarters as a mercenary who served many masters. He brought dynamisim to Bendel Insurance and i will ever remain grateful. Switching to NNB did not go down well with Insurance fans.Hence my statement you highligted above.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

It seems the only fond memory he has of 3SC was free gas. This is a shame. It seems Ibadan is a real hell hole and nobody has fond memory of the place. See how delighted he was to speak about football when asked about his experience at Bendel Insurance, but at 3SC all he could remember was free gas.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

1naija wrote:It seems the only fond memory he has of 3SC was free gas. This is a shame. It seems Ibadan is a real hell hole and nobody has fond memory of the place. See how delighted he was to speak about football when asked about his experience at Bendel Insurance, but at 3SC all he could remember was free gas.
:lol:
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!