Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:37 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: STATE OF NAIJA STADIUMS
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Posts: 28506

_________________
#BRINGBACKALLOURGIRLS#


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:58 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm
Posts: 44336
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Gotti wrote:


Chief Gotti, we have a maintenance problem in Naija.

Don't see why the Stadiums will be any different.

Need a national orientation on maintaining stuff.

_________________
I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:22 pm
Posts: 11666
Stadium are expensive liabilities and should never be built without a strategy of shared ownership with a football club or business venture. In the UK the 2012 Olympic stadium and Wembley stadium are now shared with football, NFL and rugby teams. The overall management of the stadiums are in the hands of private owned management organisations. I will suggest Nigeria adopt the same model.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 76328
Location: Earth
I.like Austin bobo get swagger. .nah wah ooo see our stadia. .gotti, what are you going to propose?

_________________
SuperEagles

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 47086
...that Chidi Okenwa's comment echos my continued chorus here. Give private sectors contracts to run the stadiums. Turf and grass management requires a person with university degree not some village women using hands and hoes.
When there is no money to be made, when free money is throw in then no one cares because govt is not looking for profit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:30 am
Posts: 4337
realtrouble wrote:
Stadium are expensive liabilities and should never be built without a strategy of shared ownership with a football club or business venture. In the UK the 2012 Olympic stadium and Wembley stadium are now shared with football, NFL and rugby teams. The overall management of the stadiums are in the hands of private owned management organisations. I will suggest Nigeria adopt the same model.

UK strategy for those public owned stadiums is work in progress. West Ham are not finding things hunky-dory. Nigeria public hospitals, schools, roads are all in the same state of decay.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:00 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:07 am
Posts: 40899
mcal wrote:
...that Chidi Okenwa's comment echos my continued chorus here. Give private sectors contracts to run the stadiums. Turf and grass management requires a person with university degree not some village women using hands and hoes.
When there is no money to be made, when free money is throw in then no one cares because govt is not looking for profit.

I guess you also missed the part where it was stated that the award of these contracts is fraught with the usual corruption.

_________________
Image
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2003 1:38 pm
Posts: 7705
Location: NJ,USA
Friends, lets wake up. Gotti got after me when I made suggestions about this in another thread. The problem called Nigeria is not about GOVT anymore....repeat this line a thousand time please. Stadia are white elephants; giant edifice that you have to have a plan to use it continously........GOVT should not be building stadia! Imagine If this was a house...you'd have to sweep, wash, fumigate and paint periodically....How's Govt of a nation that depends on petro-dollar (and the uncertainty of it market price) supposed to maintain a stadium and fulfill its other obligations?
I don't blame Govt anymore cos I know the Govt reflects the citizenry......we suck as our Govt. My advise is.......Citizen sh;d form a private company , sign a cotract with the Govt (after due diligence of a viabilty research) $1M per per year.....then rent it out for parties, concerts, matches of difft types (soccer, volley ball,wrestling, boxing, inter house sports) make money , maintain stadium and pay Govt
I think its possible......

_________________
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Posts: 28506
The real deal wrote:
Friends, lets wake up. Gotti got after me when I made suggestions about this in another thread. The problem called Nigeria is not about GOVT anymore....repeat this line a thousand time please. Stadia are white elephants; giant edifice that you have to have a plan to use it continously........GOVT should not be building stadia! Imagine If this was a house...you'd have to sweep, wash, fumigate and paint periodically....How's Govt of a nation that depends on petro-dollar (and the uncertainty of it market price) supposed to maintain a stadium and fulfill its other obligations?
I don't blame Govt anymore cos I know the Govt reflects the citizenry......we suck as our Govt. My advise is.......Citizen sh;d form a private company , sign a cotract with the Govt (after due diligence of a viabilty research) $1M per per year.....then rent it out for parties, concerts, matches of difft types (soccer, volley ball,wrestling, boxing, inter house sports) make money , maintain stadium and pay Govt
I think its possible......

The same way it maintains Aso Rock, Lugard House, the Senate President's house and 32 cars (or is it 52 cars), the state government houses, the state liaison houses in Abuja and even in Lagos? The Ministers' houses, Aso Rock Clinic, Abuja House in London, the commissioners' houses, the bullet proof cars, the outriders for anyone with a public appointment and the myriad "first ladies" offices! Need I go on?!

BTW, I resent folks who mis-characterize the position of others (even though it is probably one of those Dotard Trump tactics that you love him for) and then embark upon a disingenuous Strawman Argument - because my primary position on the National Stadium in Surulere has ALWAYS remained since the issue first came up years ago to demolish the main bowl and use the land for affordable housing or other commercial purposes, given that there is a stadium right across the street. Nonetheless, your stance betrays the same mindset of the supposedly educated elite that continues to mismanage Nigeria, and most of whom regard the sports industry as some sort of leisure or welfare program largely for dropouts and never-do-wells rather than an economic sector that could meaningfully contribute to the GDP and provide significant direct and indirect employment opportunities.

_________________
#BRINGBACKALLOURGIRLS#


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2003 1:38 pm
Posts: 7705
Location: NJ,USA
Gotti wrote:
The real deal wrote:
Friends, lets wake up. Gotti got after me when I made suggestions about this in another thread. The problem called Nigeria is not about GOVT anymore....repeat this line a thousand time please. Stadia are white elephants; giant edifice that you have to have a plan to use it continously........GOVT should not be building stadia! Imagine If this was a house...you'd have to sweep, wash, fumigate and paint periodically....How's Govt of a nation that depends on petro-dollar (and the uncertainty of it market price) supposed to maintain a stadium and fulfill its other obligations?
I don't blame Govt anymore cos I know the Govt reflects the citizenry......we suck as our Govt. My advise is.......Citizen sh;d form a private company , sign a cotract with the Govt (after due diligence of a viabilty research) $1M per per year.....then rent it out for parties, concerts, matches of difft types (soccer, volley ball,wrestling, boxing, inter house sports) make money , maintain stadium and pay Govt
I think its possible......

The same way it maintains Aso Rock, Lugard House, the Senate President's house and 32 cars (or is it 52 cars), the state government houses, the state liaison houses in Abuja and even in Lagos? The Ministers' houses, Aso Rock Clinic, Abuja House in London, the commissioners' houses, the bullet proof cars, the outriders for anyone with a public appointment and the myriad "first ladies" offices! Need I go on?!

BTW, I resent folks who mis-characterize the position of others (even though it is probably one of those Dotard Trump tactics that you love him for) and then embark upon a disingenuous Strawman Argument - because my primary position on the National Stadium in Surulere has ALWAYS remained since the issue first came up years ago to demolish the main bowl and use the land for affordable housing or other commercial purposes, given that there is a stadium right across the street. Nonetheless, your stance betrays the same mindset of the supposedly educated elite that continues to mismanage Nigeria, and most of whom regard the sports industry as some sort of leisure or welfare program largely for dropouts and never-do-wells rather than an economic sector that could meaningfully contribute to the GDP and provide significant direct and indirect employment opportunities.


I have been waiting for your answer for a while. Let me say, I respect and love your perspectives on issues. But you always fall short of a cliche characteristic of 'US" educated literates from the 3rd world; throwing INSULTS, instead of engaging in intellectual debates.You tend to revel in demeaning and belittling others that you don't agree with. Its what they call 3rd world temperament in politics. We can disagree without been disagree-able.
Straight answer to your positions; we don't have to demolish national stadium. Nigerians hold PARTIES everyday. Imagine if they pay a fee to RENT the stadium....it'll generate employment and revenue....from the bus to take folks to stadium, to school kids that clean up after etc, etc...its an innovative suggestion IMHO. The GOVT exist to WASTE money...no GOVT can operate what is commercial and make money for long especially in a corrupt country like ours....GOVT will waste money on what they use everyday..house, cars and all you listed up there and not stadium that's used 3 times for SE games/year. I'm realistic about our time, our people attitude and mindset and will rather proffer meaningful solutions than go wth the usual " Govt is corrupt....." Govt is US!! They are a reflection of what we are as a people!
Quit with the insult. Nothing to resent....I like intellectual argument

_________________
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Posts: 28506
The real deal wrote:
I have been waiting for your answer for a while. Let me say, I respect and love your perspectives on issues. But you always fall short of a cliche characteristic of 'US" educated literates from the 3rd world; throwing INSULTS, instead of engaging in intellectual debates.You tend to revel in demeaning and belittling others that you don't agree with. Its what they call 3rd world temperament in politics. We can disagree without been disagree-able.
Straight answer to your positions; we don't have to demolish national stadium. Nigerians hold PARTIES everyday. Imagine if they pay a fee to RENT the stadium....it'll generate employment and revenue....from the bus to take folks to stadium, to school kids that clean up after etc, etc...its an innovative suggestion IMHO. The GOVT exist to WASTE money...no GOVT can operate what is commercial and make money for long especially in a corrupt country like ours....GOVT will waste money on what they use everyday..house, cars and all you listed up there and not stadium that's used 3 times for SE games/year. I'm realistic about our time, our people attitude and mindset and will rather proffer meaningful solutions than go wth the usual " Govt is corrupt....." Govt is US!! They are a reflection of what we are as a people!
Quit with the insult. Nothing to resent....I like intellectual argument

Yes, “government reflects us” so much that even the poorest Nigerians who still see fit to sweep their compounds daily and fix their thatched roofs periodically or those Nigerians that have built world-class businesses and/or provide world-class services in such an infrastructure-poor country must by definition obviously be fake Nigerians. SMDH

So your understanding of stadium development in Nigeria is that only the SE are permitted to use repaired or renovated stadiums in Nigeria? Could have sworn that Enugu Rangers plays all of its home games at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium (one of those listed in the video report), as does all of Enugu State’s club and cup competitions, schools sports and festivals, arts and cultural festivals, political rallies and conventions, church gatherings, music concerts, etc. - as probably with most of the other stadiums in Nigeria (sans Abuja). Anyway, interesting how folks can justify governmental expenditure on so-called state liaison houses in Abuja that are only used when the governor visits Abuja and elects not to stay in a hotel, but thinks that stadiums dotted around the country that can be put to daily use in human development (including but not limited to the sports industry) is a wasteful ‘luxury’ that the same governments cannot afford.

Finally, not quite how stating my resentment at your mis-characterization of my position on the matter amounts to an insult. But then again, I am just a common “US-educated literate from the 3d World” (who if I recall correctly apparently confused his laboring proximity to Wall Street as working thereat), as opposed to an apparently special 3d World-educated US economic migrant, so what do I know? SMDH

_________________
#BRINGBACKALLOURGIRLS#


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2003 1:38 pm
Posts: 7705
Location: NJ,USA
Gotti wrote:
The real deal wrote:
I have been waiting for your answer for a while. Let me say, I respect and love your perspectives on issues. But you always fall short of a cliche characteristic of 'US" educated literates from the 3rd world; throwing INSULTS, instead of engaging in intellectual debates.You tend to revel in demeaning and belittling others that you don't agree with. Its what they call 3rd world temperament in politics. We can disagree without been disagree-able.
Straight answer to your positions; we don't have to demolish national stadium. Nigerians hold PARTIES everyday. Imagine if they pay a fee to RENT the stadium....it'll generate employment and revenue....from the bus to take folks to stadium, to school kids that clean up after etc, etc...its an innovative suggestion IMHO. The GOVT exist to WASTE money...no GOVT can operate what is commercial and make money for long especially in a corrupt country like ours....GOVT will waste money on what they use everyday..house, cars and all you listed up there and not stadium that's used 3 times for SE games/year. I'm realistic about our time, our people attitude and mindset and will rather proffer meaningful solutions than go wth the usual " Govt is corrupt....." Govt is US!! They are a reflection of what we are as a people!
Quit with the insult. Nothing to resent....I like intellectual argument

Yes, “government reflects us” so much that even the poorest Nigerians who still see fit to sweep their compounds daily and fix their thatched roofs periodically or those Nigerians that have built world-class businesses and/or provide world-class services in such an infrastructure-poor country must by definition obviously be fake Nigerians. SMDH

So your understanding of stadium development in Nigeria is that only the SE are permitted to use repaired or renovated stadiums in Nigeria? Could have sworn that Enugu Rangers plays all of its home games at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium (one of those listed in the video report), as does all of Enugu State’s club and cup competitions, schools sports and festivals, arts and cultural festivals, political rallies and conventions, church gatherings, music concerts, etc. - as probably with most of the other stadiums in Nigeria (sans Abuja). Anyway, interesting how folks can justify governmental expenditure on so-called state liaison houses in Abuja that are only used when the governor visits Abuja and elects not to stay in a hotel, but thinks that stadiums dotted around the country that can be put to daily use in human development (including but not limited to the sports industry) is a wasteful ‘luxury’ that the same governments cannot afford.

Finally, not quite how stating my resentment at your mis-characterization of my position on the matter amounts to an insult. But then again, I am just a common “US-educated literate from the 3d World” (who if I recall correctly apparently confused his laboring proximity to Wall Street as working thereat), as opposed to an apparently special 3d World-educated US economic migrant, so what do I know? SMDH



Why is it that exchange of positions and solutions have to sound like we are FIGHTING? Your prose and tone is like you're fighting or trying to prove like the one opposite you don't know that there are Nigerians that "sweep" or run "world class...."....this is a country without postcodes!! Rail system? Organized transport system that runs every TIMED intervals ( every 30 mins)? World class Hotel all over the place? Portable water everyone?......I'm not in the business of just crticizing but proffering solutions
I challenge you to pick the 5 busiest stadia in the country and show 40 events in each stadium in a 365 day calendar year....
Whats the gate fee for soccer matches....... I'm not interested in these bitter arguments. Its obvious to any fair onlooker that we are not organized, thoughtful, do not have a maintenance culture.....
Post a picture of your former secondary and primary school compound, Headmaster and principal office.....the bathrooms we used......
Only people that want to be dishonest will argue abt us not having basics of an organized society.....stuff you take for granted.....Fact that some few individuals have created corridors that look "world class cannot hide the larger disorganization in the land...Fuel queues anyone?...... LOL @ your wall street and US economic migrant.....That has nothing to do with this discussion

_________________
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:30 am
Posts: 4337
Gotti wrote:
The real deal wrote:
Friends, lets wake up. Gotti got after me when I made suggestions about this in another thread. The problem called Nigeria is not about GOVT anymore....repeat this line a thousand time please. Stadia are white elephants; giant edifice that you have to have a plan to use it continously........GOVT should not be building stadia! Imagine If this was a house...you'd have to sweep, wash, fumigate and paint periodically....How's Govt of a nation that depends on petro-dollar (and the uncertainty of it market price) supposed to maintain a stadium and fulfill its other obligations?
I don't blame Govt anymore cos I know the Govt reflects the citizenry......we suck as our Govt. My advise is.......Citizen sh;d form a private company , sign a cotract with the Govt (after due diligence of a viabilty research) $1M per per year.....then rent it out for parties, concerts, matches of difft types (soccer, volley ball,wrestling, boxing, inter house sports) make money , maintain stadium and pay Govt
I think its possible......

The same way it maintains Aso Rock, Lugard House, the Senate President's house and 32 cars (or is it 52 cars), the state government houses, the state liaison houses in Abuja and even in Lagos? The Ministers' houses, Aso Rock Clinic, Abuja House in London, the commissioners' houses, the bullet proof cars, the outriders for anyone with a public appointment and the myriad "first ladies" offices! Need I go on?!

BTW, I resent folks who mis-characterize the position of others (even though it is probably one of those Dotard Trump tactics that you love him for) and then embark upon a disingenuous Strawman Argument - because my primary position on the National Stadium in Surulere has ALWAYS remained since the issue first came up years ago to demolish the main bowl and use the land for affordable housing or other commercial purposes, given that there is a stadium right across the street. Nonetheless, your stance betrays the same mindset of the supposedly educated elite that continues to mismanage Nigeria, and most of whom regard the sports industry as some sort of leisure or welfare program largely for dropouts and never-do-wells rather than an economic sector that could meaningfully contribute to the GDP and provide significant direct and indirect employment opportunities.


Many State liaison offices are in the same state of decay. Cars are routinely replaced every three years or thereabouts, otherwise the same fate awaits. Aso Rock Clinic is in the same boat more or less with lack of essentials despite billions budgeted to it. If the stadium maintenance budget were commensurate to the needs and given same attention as the formal place of above of the executive or legislative, things may improve despite the prevalent corruption.


https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/pro ... ters-haven

Quote:
Liaison houses in Lagos now squatters’ haven

Liaison buildings of some states in Lagos have been abandoned and have now turned into abode for squatters and miscreants who move in the buildings unchallenged, Daily Trust investigations have revealed. The state liaison buildings in Lagos were done by the respective state governments to ensure free flow of correspondence and communication between the respective state capitals and the liaison offices in Lagos, being the hub of commercial activities in the country and the nation’s former federal capital. Once a capital city, Lagos is populated by people from all over the federation.

The liaison buildings/offices were also meant to take care of the interests of the indigenes of the respective states who live in Lagos and its environs. However, our correspondents gathered that many state governments have now abandoned their state liaison buildings in Lagos, preferring to pay attention to the liaison buildings/offices in Abuja only having moved the capital away from Lagos. This neglect has left the Lagos liaison buildings, mostly located in the highbrow area of Victoria Island in disrepair and an easy access for squatters and miscreants to occupy.

Mostly affected are the liaison buildings of Zamfara, Benue, Kebbi, Imo, Edo and Cross River states. Visits to the buildings showed that most of the structures are dilapidated. Zamfara liaison building is worst as our correspondents observed that some parts of the building have even been pulled down. Some of the squatters in the Zamfara liaison building on Adeola Odeku street, Victoria Island said that they live in the building because of its proximity to their places of work. The occupants, who are low income earners such as drivers and cleaners of some companies in Victoria Island said they could not have ordinarily afforded accommodation in that location, if not for the availability of some abandoned properties like the state liaison buildings.

A squatter, Biodun Tomori who lives in the compound of Benue House on Bishop Oluwole Street also in Victoria Island is a driver attached to a branch of First Bank Plc on the island. He told Daily Trust that his family lives in Ikotun where he has a room apartment, “but transport fare forced me to look for an abandoned accommodation nearby”.

Tomori said he pays a certain amount of money to some people he refused to disclose to be able to live in the Benue House. “Some people pay per week to sleep in the building,” he disclosed. However, the Benue State government still occupies a small room apartment with about three staff to get correspondence to the state government in the Benue House. One of the staff who spoke to us under the condition of anonymity because the staff were not authorised to talk to the press disclosed that the staff were annoyed with the state government for owing them salaries “for many months now”. “The state government is also marginalising those of us in the liaison office in Lagos by depriving us of certain welfare packages,” the staff added.

Our correspondents’ investigations revealed that some of the state liaison buildings have had part of their apartments converted for business activities such as hotel and office spaces for rent seekers to occupy. Some state governments such as Benue, our correspondents learnt, have even made attempts to sell off the state liaison buildings outright, through property management companies.

Problem predates present Benue govt

When contacted, the Benue State government said that the problem associated with its liaison office in Lagos predates the current administration of Governor Gabriel Suswam. Director of Media and Public Affairs James Uloko said that the property was leased out to one Moses Ayom to manage long before Suswam became governor. He denied plans by government to sell the property but rather admitted that it is making effort to renovate the building as soon as that of Abuja which is ongoing reaches completion.

Kebbi govt dodges

Kebbi State government dodged questions on the state of its liaison house in Lagos. Permanent Secretary Special Duties Alhaji Musa Muhammad Kamba referred our correspondent to the Permanent Secretary Protocol Sani Abdullahi who in turn said the office is not under him. He referred our correspondent to the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Alhaji Garba Rabiu. Several attempts to see the SSG to react to the issue proved abortive. He was said not to be in office each time our correspondent visited. He did not also respond to several calls and text message sent to his phone number.


https://newtelegraphonline.com/2017/06/ ... -rot-away/

Quote:
Multi-billion naira govt liaison offices rot away

The dilapidating state of some government’s liaison offices in Lagos have become an eyesore, with traits of threat to the environment. DAYO AYEYEMI reports

Sitting on highly valued plots of land in the heart of popular Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria Island, Lagos are abandoned and derelict buildings, which at a particular time were states’ liaison offices. While some of them are in state of disrepair, others have remained vacant for about two decades due to stretched abandonment by their owners – state government. These properties include Plateau, Niger, jointly owned Oduduwa House by Ogun, Ondo, Osun, Oyo and Ekiti, as well as those of Edo and Kogi states.

Their abandonment has become a source of threat to the immediate environment where they are sited.
When New Telegraph took a cursory look at the properties, many of them were occupied by miscreants and security guards, while their premises looked unkempt. Also, parts of some of the buildings have been converted to restaurants and car parks.
It was gathered that people, who park in any of the open sparks pay a token to some miscreants.
It was also discovered that some states have concessioned the properties to some private developers for redevelopment but the project stalled due to lack of funds. A recent report states that the value of some of the abandoned properties, especially those on Victoria Island, currently stands at above N5 billion. Erstwhile Commissioner for Waterfront Infrastructure Development in Lagos, Mr. Olusegun Oniru, had sometime ago described the abandoned properties as threat to the environment. To first time-visitors and tourists, the sight of the properties smacks of an eyesore when compared to the adjacent $6 billion Eko Atlantic City project ongoing in the neighbourhood.

Experts’ views

Worried by the dilapidated state of these buildings, many built environment stakeholders have described their neglect by various state governments as sheer waste of public funds. They advised owners of such buildings to find a way of letting/renting them out to interested members of the public or institutions. A former President of the Nigerian Institute of Town Planners (NITP), Dr. Bunmi Ajayi, a town planner, advised property owners to go back to the drawing board and see how they could be turned to money-spinning investment. “The properties are sitting on value land. They can be converted to valuable project,” he said.
Ajayi recalled that some of the properties were owned by each of the state government as liaison office when Lagos was the capital of Nigeria.

He noted that the buildings were centres of states’ activities during the period. According to him, immediately the federal capital was moved to Abuja in 1991, these properties suffered occupation. He added that the long-abandonment contributed to their present poor condition, adding that the creation of more states by the then administration also compounded the problem as some of the states were not at peace with one another. “Some of the states, while breaking them down, were not friends. This also created problem in the joint ownership of the properties. Anything of joint ownership will suffer. This is the reason these assets are in state of disrepair today,” Ajayi said. Besides, he pointed out that the continuous flooding of Bar Beach also threatened the properties as their premises used to be flooded, “but the story has changed now due to the ongoing Eko Atlantic project.”

Also, a former National Secretary, Nigeria Institution of Estate Surveyors and Valuers (NIESV), Mr. Kunle Awolaja, corroborated Ajayi, stating that because of movement of federal capital to Abuja, states’ liaison offices in Lagos were left unattended to. “They turned these houses into guest houses but not well managed. They tried to push them but money became difficult,” he said. To turn around the fortunes of the properties, Awolaja urged owners to take advantage of the on-going Eko Atlantic project by coming up with good proposals for their assets. He also said they could also consider people in the Diaspora for the redevelopment of the properties.

Last line

Since the buildings were constructed with public funds, state governments should swiftly move by taking advantage of the high-brow location to turn around the fortune of the assets.


https://dailynigerian.com/the-nation/na ... -in-abuja/

http://www.post-nigeria.com/breaking-th ... ha-buhari/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:59 pm
Posts: 57203
realtrouble wrote:
Stadium are expensive liabilities and should never be built without a strategy of shared ownership with a football club or business venture. In the UK the 2012 Olympic stadium and Wembley stadium are now shared with football, NFL and rugby teams. The overall management of the stadiums are in the hands of private owned management organisations. I will suggest Nigeria adopt the same model.

You have a habit of talking about stuff you know nothing about. The London mayor Sadiq Khan has just taken over the Olympic Stadium due to "financial challenges". Those challenges are related to £323m of public money being used to convert it to a football stadium for the benefit of West Ham, who contributed a pittance. This corrupt deal was stitched up b/w Tories Boris Johnson and the West Ham exec Karren Brady (most if not all public/private so-called partnerships involve stitching up the taxpayer). The management of the stadium is not by a private organisation - it is by a public sector company E20.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42194382

Wembley Stadium cost £962m (original budget - £475m - the corruption and contract inflation involved would embarrass Nigerians) and the English FA had to refinance the debt about 2 years ago to reduce interest payments and also lay off 100 staff. The construction of that stadium became a national joke.

Not good examples for Nigeria to emulate, unless we are looking to learn advanced corruption and budget overruns.

_________________
Image
http://www.naijiant.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:51 pm
Posts: 12893
Location: South London
Until Nigeria can deal with the basics like covered sewage across the country,24 hr electricity without the aid of a generator,working water supply to all,a functioning national railway system and a decent national road system let’s not expect much from stadia that hosts church gatherings and amiture sports!

_________________
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:30 am
Posts: 4337
http://www.pulse.ng/sports/special-repo ... 97629.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:58 pm
Posts: 20499
Location: Ukwuani
Bigpokey24 wrote:
I.like Austin bobo get swagger. .nah wah ooo see our stadia. .gotti, what are you going to propose?

What are you saying? What did you write? Please can you correct yourself? One with good "critical thinking skills." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Na wah!

_________________
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:59 pm
Posts: 33653
Odas wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
I.like Austin bobo get swagger. .nah wah ooo see our stadia. .gotti, what are you going to propose?

What are you saying? What did you write? Please can you correct yourself? One with good "critical thinking skills." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Na wah!

Oga Odas :clap: :clap:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:27 pm
Posts: 29426
Location: Displaced Naija. Don't bother
The real deal wrote:
Friends, lets wake up. Gotti got after me when I made suggestions about this in another thread. The problem called Nigeria is not about GOVT anymore....repeat this line a thousand time please. Stadia are white elephants; giant edifice that you have to have a plan to use it continously........GOVT should not be building stadia! Imagine If this was a house...you'd have to sweep, wash, fumigate and paint periodically....How's Govt of a nation that depends on petro-dollar (and the uncertainty of it market price) supposed to maintain a stadium and fulfill its other obligations?
I don't blame Govt anymore cos I know the Govt reflects the citizenry......we suck as our Govt. My advise is.......Citizen sh;d form a private company , sign a cotract with the Govt (after due diligence of a viabilty research) $1M per per year.....then rent it out for parties, concerts, matches of difft types (soccer, volley ball,wrestling, boxing, inter house sports) make money , maintain stadium and pay Govt
I think its possible......

Bros, the government direct the citizenry.

If we had responsible government, the citizenry would sit up. What are the government there for?

Is it ordinary citizens that award contracts or arrest corrupt officials? :roll: :roll:

_________________
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

“Emery put on so many videos I ran out of popcorn,” former player Joaquín quipped, “he’s obsessed by football, it’s practically an illness.”

Post Wenger-Arsenal go sweero


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:51 pm
Posts: 12893
Location: South London
cchinukw wrote:
The real deal wrote:
Friends, lets wake up. Gotti got after me when I made suggestions about this in another thread. The problem called Nigeria is not about GOVT anymore....repeat this line a thousand time please. Stadia are white elephants; giant edifice that you have to have a plan to use it continously........GOVT should not be building stadia! Imagine If this was a house...you'd have to sweep, wash, fumigate and paint periodically....How's Govt of a nation that depends on petro-dollar (and the uncertainty of it market price) supposed to maintain a stadium and fulfill its other obligations?
I don't blame Govt anymore cos I know the Govt reflects the citizenry......we suck as our Govt. My advise is.......Citizen sh;d form a private company , sign a cotract with the Govt (after due diligence of a viabilty research) $1M per per year.....then rent it out for parties, concerts, matches of difft types (soccer, volley ball,wrestling, boxing, inter house sports) make money , maintain stadium and pay Govt
I think its possible......

Bros, the government direct the citizenry.

If we had responsible government, the citizenry would sit up. What are the government there for?

Is it ordinary citizens that award contracts or arrest corrupt officials? :roll: :roll:

I was waiting for a hot head to get angry despite the facts and say "what have you done about it" as if you're the government.
You have a point but the public of Nigeria are so used to things falling apart it's easy for the government to believe its just too easy!Members of the public want jobs or rewards from these corrupt fools so no one makes their lives hard by boycotting or even more aggressive tactics delivered by organisations world wide!

_________________
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Posts: 28506
The real deal wrote:
Why is it that exchange of positions and solutions have to sound like we are FIGHTING? Your prose and tone is like you're fighting or trying to prove like the one opposite you don't know that there are Nigerians that "sweep" or run "world class...."....this is a country without postcodes!! Rail system? Organized transport system that runs every TIMED intervals ( every 30 mins)? World class Hotel all over the place? Portable water everyone?......I'm not in the business of just crticizing but proffering solutions
I challenge you to pick the 5 busiest stadia in the country and show 40 events in each stadium in a 365 day calendar year....
Whats the gate fee for soccer matches....... I'm not interested in these bitter arguments. Its obvious to any fair onlooker that we are not organized, thoughtful, do not have a maintenance culture.....
Post a picture of your former secondary and primary school compound, Headmaster and principal office.....the bathrooms we used......
Only people that want to be dishonest will argue abt us not having basics of an organized society.....stuff you take for granted.....Fact that some few individuals have created corridors that look "world class cannot hide the larger disorganization in the land...Fuel queues anyone?...... LOL @ your wall street and US economic migrant.....That has nothing to do with this discussion

Abegi, quit making overbroad generalizations...
Some of you really need to do more than occasionally "visit" Nigeria on the Internet.

FYI, Abuja has postal codes (CBD 900211, Asokoro 900231, Garki 900421, etc.), and Lagos has been renumbering houses using a standard uniform since 2012. Obviously, there's a ton of work to be done in a developing country like Nigeria, but some places and some things are better off than there were years and some are worse off. That's just the manner of life. Accordingly, the BRT in Lagos have air-conditioned buses that run relatively on time (given the vicissitudes of Lagos traffic), and are most definitely much better than the rickety old Molues of yesteryears. The CBD in Lagos Island, as well as several other roads on the Island and in Ikeja have been rebuilt and upgraded with covered drainage and standard road architecture in place of open gutters and non-existent sidewalks. The new Abuja to Kaduna standard guage rail is better than anything that previously ever existed in Nigeria, and of course there are world-class hotels in Nigeria much better than the Federal Palace or Ikoyi Hotels of our youth.

The Nigerian government (or the Nigerian public sector) is NOT synonymous with Nigerians and thus it is a fallacy to point to deficiencies in the public sector (lack of postal codes, water, power, etc.) as evidence that Nigerians inherently lack a maintenance culture - particularly galling when Nigerians privately provide much of such services (eg, Nigerians privately generate more than twice as much electric power as the National Grid). Nonetheless, places like the NDA in Kaduna is in much better shape than it was when I first visited it back in the day (same can't be said for ABU), and the same government that is letting its buildings and roads in Lagos fall apart has maintained and further developed Aso Rock than it's state back in the IBB days. It has expanded and maintains the airport road and several other highways in Abuja, as well as places like the National Assembly building, Apo Villa (Senate President's house) and Abuja House. So, it's not that Nigerians (or even the Nigerian government) inherently lacks a maintenance culture, but rather that the Nigerian government often only serves its own narrow self-interest instead of the public interest, and that public sector distortions often works to incentivize or encourage the non-maintenance of public infrastructure. That's why (for example) places like St. Peter's House on the Marina is well-maintained while most of public buildings in the neighbourhood (Independence House, National Museum, etc) have fallen into abject disrepair.

BTW, my high school in Nigeria is in a new campus and much better off (and better equipped) than when I was there (like many other private schools in Nigeria). And I am not sure what your own family, communal or individual circumstances or experiences may be (and thus will not seek to de-validate same), but my grandfather's houses still stand and are well-maintained, while my mom was buried not too long ago in the compound of a house that my dad built in the 1960s/70s (that's about 50 years ago or thereabouts) that still looks like new - complete with fresh cut flowers and a garden. So, HECK NO! the PEOPLE of Nigeria do not have an inherent culture of non-maintenance.

_________________
#BRINGBACKALLOURGIRLS#


Last edited by Gotti on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Posts: 28506
The real deal wrote:
Why is it that exchange of positions and solutions have to sound like we are FIGHTING? Your prose and tone is like you're fighting or trying to prove like the one opposite you don't know that there are Nigerians that "sweep" or run "world class...."....this is a country without postcodes!! Rail system? Organized transport system that runs every TIMED intervals ( every 30 mins)? World class Hotel all over the place? Portable water everyone?......I'm not in the business of just crticizing but proffering solutions
I challenge you to pick the 5 busiest stadia in the country and show 40 events in each stadium in a 365 day calendar year....
Whats the gate fee for soccer matches....... I'm not interested in these bitter arguments. Its obvious to any fair onlooker that we are not organized, thoughtful, do not have a maintenance culture.....
Post a picture of your former secondary and primary school compound, Headmaster and principal office.....the bathrooms we used......
Only people that want to be dishonest will argue abt us not having basics of an organized society.....stuff you take for granted.....Fact that some few individuals have created corridors that look "world class cannot hide the larger disorganization in the land...Fuel queues anyone?...... LOL @ your wall street and US economic migrant.....That has nothing to do with this discussion

Just as I would challenge you to name just ONE private stadium in Nigeria (Rojenny Oba, Ifeanyi Ubah Stadium Nnewi, Neros Stadium, Ikpeazu Stadium Onitsha, etc.) that hosts 20 (not even 40) events in any calendar year. :lol:

_________________
#BRINGBACKALLOURGIRLS#


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Posts: 28506
Eaglezbeak wrote:
I was waiting for a hot head to get angry despite the facts and say "what have you done about it" as if you're the government.
You have a point but the public of Nigeria are so used to things falling apart it's easy for the government to believe its just too easy!Members of the public want jobs or rewards from these corrupt fools so no one makes their lives hard by boycotting or even more aggressive tactics delivered by organisations world wide!

Dude, the majority of positive developments in Nigeria over the past couple of decades have been largely the result of private initiative or investment. So, yes, there is an incredibly significant lot that private individuals who are not "the government" can do - rather than of course just running around with bullhorns and chanting "Aluta Continua" (in a country that already has more 'Comrades' than Communist China :D ).

_________________
#BRINGBACKALLOURGIRLS#


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], kzz5joa and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group