Fecafoot sack Hugo Broos as Indomitable Lions coach

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Fecafoot sack Hugo Broos as Indomitable Lions coach

Post by bamenda boy »

Senator WIRES wrote:
bamenda boy wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Is Hugo Boos to blame though? he had a poor crop of players to choose from. Bear in mind he was only in the job for a year, so did not have the time to rebuild the squad.

Personally, I think he did very well getting them to win the Nations Cup with the limited players at his disposal. Sacking him will only be beneficial if they give the new coach a four year contract with a mandate to prepare for the 2022 World Cup.
So benching the likes of Matip and co, benching the best goal keeper in the Dutch league, in favor of mediocre players was what again?
:roll: Was Matip benched or he decided not to heed the call-up?
He got tired of seating on the bench and playing with players who cannot do simple one two pass because the coach prefers loyalty to talent.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

The anglophone situation has nothing to do with the state of football in Cameroon. The anglophone situation was always there even when Cameroon was playing in the WC in Italy.

Paul Biya should go that's for sure.

Cameroon heavily lost to Nigeria in Nigeria because of Broos' poor tactic on that particular day. He had a deal in his contract with Fecafoot to go to Russia, Cameroon is not going to Russia, Broos is fired simple. Is Broos a bad coach? No. Not after what he did in Gabon with a team of "talentless" players.
camex wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Cameroon's problems are long term. To be honest, I do not see them addressing them until they resolve the Anglophone spat tearing the nation apart at the moment. Paul Biya has to save his country from destruction by stepping down.
:agree:
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

His contract was to be up in February and since Cameroon had nothing scheduled within that period, it was only logical that they not renew it.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

bamenda boy wrote:His contract was to be up in February and since Cameroon had nothing scheduled within that period, it was only logical that they not renew it.
Besides, how can he work with a board that has passed a vote of no confidence in him? He should do the honourable thing and leave of his own volition.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

bamenda boy wrote:His contract was to be up in February and since Cameroon had nothing scheduled within that period, it was only logical that they not renew it.
Lame excuse. Football development goes beyond playing a match. You need to start preparing towards the next Afcon and you're also defending champions. They did not want him anymore, period
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Read a story which indicates that the sack has not been approved or confirmed by Sports Minister who has final say on the matter. Meanwhile Broos has stated he needs to fully know his status by end of this month.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Enugu II wrote:Read a story which indicates that the sack has not been approved or confirmed by Sports Minister who has final say on the matter. Meanwhile Broos has stated he needs to fully know his status by end of this month.
One of the problems we face in Africa. When an FA does not have the financial clout to make independent decisions, it will always be at the mercy of politicians.
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

In general, someone is always at the mercy of someone else. In Almighty America, politics is at the mercy of economic powers.
The question is if the people making the decision act for the good of the parties involved or for their own interests (and their masters).
The problem in Cameroon is that the word accountability doesn't mean anything. And I'm not talking short term views of things and firing people every month. In Cameroon league, many teams replace coaches 2-3 times per season. What's happening at the national team level is not different from what has become the norm in Cameroon. We are still awaiting when the Final of the Cameroon cup will be played ... although, because nobody knows when the President of the Republic will come back home from a forever vacation ...
Cameroon is a very sick country.
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Read a story which indicates that the sack has not been approved or confirmed by Sports Minister who has final say on the matter. Meanwhile Broos has stated he needs to fully know his status by end of this month.
One of the problems we face in Africa. When an FA does not have the financial clout to make independent decisions, it will always be at the mercy of politicians.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] Cameroon's problems are no different from that of most African countries
[2] We are not like Brazil, Argentina and Europe, where football clubs fund and run the FA
[3] In these countries, the FA just gets a grant from the government. other than that, it is self-funding and runs its own affairs irrespective of what the government says or does
[4] Cameroonian football, however, is a brand and ideally, the Indomitable Lions should be able to raise enough funds to run Fecafoot
[5] As things stand, Fecafoot has to run to Paul Biya whenever it needs money for anything. This is a recipe for disaster as if he refuses to fund your, then your plans go nowehere
[6] For me, Fecafoot's first aim has got to be to get Les Lions Indomitable generating enough sponsorship to run its activities. A good contract with Puma, playing six to eight high profile friendlies a year and working closely with rthe academies should be able to do the trick
[7] In the past, Cameroon's academies like the Kadji Sports Academy, Njala Quan Sports Academy and Besters Academy generated a lot of money by producing players like Eto'o, Sing, Kalla, Wome, Geremi, etc. These academies were privately funding and did not need a penny of government money
[8] I ask why clubs like Coton Sport, Tonnerre Kalala, Canon Sportif, Union Douala, etc are not commercially successful enough to raise funding for the FA. Ideally, they should be able to generate enough cash to bankroll the FA if they are sincere about breaking away from government interference
[9] If you ask me, the biggest problem Cameroon faces at the moment, is that quality players have not come through to replace those of the Eto'o era. Ask yourself how many of the current players would get into the 2000 Nations Cup wining team
[10] All I can blame the coach for is not getting the likes of Nyom, Matip, Choupo-Moting, Onana, etc to play for the team. However, these players cannot come along and claim an automatic place. Are they aware of the fact that Aboubacar and Nkolou both accepted roles on the bench?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cameroon coach Hugo Broos refuses to quit after dismissal
Evwiro Toma December 9, 2017
https://www.aclsports.com/cameroon-coac ... dismissal/

Cameroon coach Hugo Broos says he is still on board, days after he was handed a notification by the football federation normalisation committee to quit his post.

The 65-year-old Belgian was appointed in February 2016, and led the Indomitable Lions to clinch the Africa Cup of Nations a year later in Gabon.

However, the team’s failure to qualify for the 2018 Fifa World Cup prompted the decision to part ways with him ahead of the expiration of his contract next February.

In Cameroon, the sports ministry is responsible for the recruitment and dismissal of the national team’s coach and not the football federation.

“I don’t know what will happen now. I am waiting for the ministry (sports). They have not said anything and so I remain on board,” Broos said on Friday.

Indomitable Lions fans must be wondering what is going on.
“I think what the Fecafoot (FA) did is not serious. It’s a joke, a drama, what is currently happening in Cameroon.”

Last month, Broos issued an ultimatum to both the Fecafoot and the ministry of sports to renew his contract or release him.

“All I want is some respect and consideration. We won the 2017 Afcon and so I expected to be treated differently,” he said at that time.

Despite enjoying a wide popularity in the central African country after his team, composed largely of fringe players, went on to claim the ultimate at the 2017 Afcon, the former Anderlecht coach is reportedly having issues with a couple of his players including Karl Toko-Ekambi of French club Angers due to the coach’s choices during the 2018 World Cup qualifying.

“It is going to be a difficult situation. Even if the ministry decides for me to stay, I would have to work with a football body that no longer wants me in the house,” Broos said.

Cameroon will return to action in January with friendly matches against Congo and Angola.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics