Realities of Nigeria's World Cup Group....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Realities of Nigeria's World Cup Group....

Post by Enugu II »

Theoretically, it is always best to encounter the top seeded team in the final round of group games. The reasoning is that the top seed will come into that game already qualified and may rest some of its top players. But that is if the top seed has taken care of business in its first two games! That is a big IF because the top seed may disappoint in one of those earlier games and, thus, not always qualified before the final round of group games.
Croatia certainly expects to qualify as one of the best two teams in the group and has the star names to support this expectation. This is a team that has been troubled for a while and has made several coaching changes as it sought to produce results that reflect its make up of star players. While it beat Spain at the Euro in 2016, it has drawn with likes of Finland and lost to Iceland. The midfield may be one of the best in the world but the reality is that this team needs loads of attempts to score.
Details can be found by clicking the link below:

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2017/12/r ... group.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Realities of Nigeria's World Cup Group....

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Enugu II, the biggest problem Croatia will have is that its "big names" like Rakatic and Modric are only functional when they have the ball. They will not want to do the dirty work when opponents have the ball and I see them coming unstuck against Nigeria and Iceland that have good work ethics.

Remember we used to have this problem with Kanu and Okocha. I remember that once, Sir V, Gotti, Waffiman and myself took several players out to dinner once and they complained bitterly about it to us.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Enugu II, the biggest problem Croatia will have is that its "big names" like Rakatic and Modric are only functional when they have the ball. They will not want to do the dirty work when opponents have the ball and I see them coming unstuck against Nigeria and Iceland that have good work ethics.

Remember we used to have this problem with Kanu and Okocha. I remember that once, Sir V, Gotti, Waffiman and myself took several players out to dinner once and they complained bitterly about it to us.
TBH,

I am quietly confident that Nigeria can beat Croatia especially if the SE go up early. They have names but names matter very little. What will matter is how much work the players are willing to put in and how confidently they do so.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Enugu II wrote:
Theoretically, it is always best to encounter the top seeded team in the final round of group games. The reasoning is that the top seed will come into that game already qualified and may rest some of its top players. But that is if the top seed has taken care of business in its first two games! That is a big IF because the top seed may disappoint in one of those earlier games and, thus, not always qualified before the final round of group games.
Croatia certainly expects to qualify as one of the best two teams in the group and has the star names to support this expectation. This is a team that has been troubled for a while and has made several coaching changes as it sought to produce results that reflect its make up of star players. While it beat Spain at the Euro in 2016, it has drawn with likes of Finland and lost to Iceland. The midfield may be one of the best in the world but the reality is that this team needs loads of attempts to score.
Details can be found by clicking the link below:

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2017/12/r ... group.html
Croatia will NOT beat us (Nigeria). We will beat Croatia and TOP the group. I want everyone in this forum to write down this prediction in a place they can see everyday as they pass-by.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Enugu II wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Enugu II, the biggest problem Croatia will have is that its "big names" like Rakatic and Modric are only functional when they have the ball. They will not want to do the dirty work when opponents have the ball and I see them coming unstuck against Nigeria and Iceland that have good work ethics.

TBH,

I am quietly confident that Nigeria can beat Croatia especially if the SE go up early. They have names but names matter very little. What will matter is how much work the players are willing to put in and how confidently they do so.
... not CAN, but WILL! EnuguII, we will beat Croatia and top the group. Just wait and see
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Odas wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

TBH,

... not CAN, but WILL! EnuguII, we will beat Croatia and top the group. Just wait and see
Odas,

I hope you are correct. I no get dat kin confidence o!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Enugu II wrote:
Odas wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

TBH,

Odas,

I hope you are correct. I no get dat kin confidence o!
Chief Enugu II, we WILL, mark my word! I am excitedly looking forward to the RESULTS of the games.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

I couldn't bring myself to read the full article...I couldn't cope
the paragraph on Argentina for example is just stating the bleeding obvious
they have messi aguero and higuain. Wow This is not exactly a revelation
I had to stop reading at that point
I encourage to wait until you have something worthwhile to say before writing articles or posting them here in the future
Alternatively you could consider hiring people with real insight to write for you
People like CE's Patrick for example ..oh wait
Anyway IMO this was a poor effort
But maybe it was just a bad day at the office
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Smartbro ease up. You are both valuable contributors on the site... It's the ground suffering here. I beg sheath your sword
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

smartbrother wrote:I couldn't bring myself to read the full article...I couldn't cope
I encourage to wait until you have something worthwhile to say before writing articles or posting them here in the future
Alternatively you could consider hiring people with real insight to write for you
Glad you attempted to read it and shared your opinion. Thanks.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Enugu II wrote:
smartbrother wrote:I couldn't bring myself to read the full article...I couldn't cope
Glad you attempted to read it and shared your opinion. Thanks.
"attempted' is the key word :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Nice read. I think analysts are making too much of Croatia struggles in the qualifiers. As you know, there are teams who struggle through the qualifiers only to find their mojo when the tournament proper begins.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mystic wrote:Nice read. I think analysts are making too much of Croatia struggles in the qualifiers. As you know, there are teams who struggle through the qualifiers only to find their mojo when the tournament proper begins.
True word. However, somehow I feel that Croatia's problems scoring go further than just the qualifiers. I have seen a few of their games and they are not that efficient in front of goal, Mandzuric and all. I hope it remains that way when we meet them in June.