Rohr embraces the Underdog strategy

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Rohr embraces the Underdog strategy

Post by 1naija »

I am Watching "Soccer Africa" program on SupperSports and the panel are discussing the World cup draw. Rohrs was interviewed about his thoughts on the draw in one of the segments and his comments were very calculated and interesting.

He said we are the 4th team in the group because we were the lowest in Fifa ranking

He said we just played Argentina in a friendly so we know a bit about them. And that we would have to play some European teams in Friendlies to prepare for Croatia and Iceland.

He highlighted the travel distance between where we would play Croatia and the following game against Iceland. But he said most of our players play in Europe and travel all the way back to Africa for games so we are used to traveling long distances between games.

The reporter pressed about our chances of advancing out of the group and then he doubled down on the underdog card. He said we are the youngest team to qualify for the WC and we were ranked 15 by Fifa so we are going to the WC to learn as well. And then he did "ajasco" and jumped to the fact that we were ranked 15th so expecting to go on and win the WC (nobody asked him about winning the WC :D) is a bit much.

He concluded by saying he would like to think we have an outside chance ..

1Naija's Comments:

I like this approach. I think this is how he intends to motivate our young players to excel. I can see him telling them that the other teams don't respect them because of the ranking so they have to prove them wrong by their performances. I See us winning the group, period!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Rohr embraces the Underdog strategy

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

1naija wrote:I am Watching "Soccer Africa" program on SupperSports and the panel are discussing the World cup draw. Rohrs was interviewed about his thoughts on the draw in one of the segments and his comments were very calculated and interesting.

He said we are the 4th team in the group because we were the lowest in Fifa ranking

He said we just played Argentina in a friendly so we know a bit about them. And that we would have to play some European teams in Friendlies to prepare for Croatia and Iceland.

He highlighted the travel distance between where we would play Croatia and the following game against Iceland. But he said most of our players play in Europe and travel all the way back to Africa for games so we are used to traveling long distances between games.

The reporter pressed about our chances of advancing out of the group and then he doubled down on the underdog card. He said we are the youngest team to qualify for the WC and we were ranked 15 by Fifa so we are going to the WC to learn as well. And then he did "ajasco" and jumped to the fact that we were ranked 15th so expecting to go on and win the WC (nobody asked him about winning the WC :D) is a bit much.

1Naija's Comments:

I like this approach. I think this is how he intends to motivate our young players to excel. I can see him telling them that the other teams don't respect them because of the ranking so they have to prove them wrong by their performances. I See us winning the group, period!

50th not 15th!
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
1naija wrote:I am Watching "Soccer Africa" program on SupperSports and the panel are discussing the World cup draw. Rohrs was interviewed about his thoughts on the draw in one of the segments and his comments were very calculated and interesting.

1Naija's Comments:

50th not 15th!
Na accent cos am not Johnny Walker - can't someone drink and type in peace again?? :mrgreen:
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

YemiBrazil wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

1Naija's Comments:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

50th not 15th!
Na accent cos am not Johnny Walker - can't someone drink and type in peace again?? :mrgreen:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: simple engrish
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1Naija's Comments:

how you take watch that channel for H-town, send me link nah
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

YemiBrazil wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

1Naija's Comments:

50th not 15th!
Chop rice leave stone
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Sampo
Egg
Egg

Post by Sampo »

1naija wrote: 1Naija's Comments:

No be this same reason I been dey wonder why Pinnick dey go CNN to make noise about us?

If it's about the sponsors' wallets, couldn't he, as an Exec, employ better, boardroom-type strategies to get us better deals? Why go out there to attract attention and spoil our underdog chances with his noise? The need to be heard! Who needs that? For instance, did anybody hear about the German Federation's camping strategy in 2014 on TV, ahead of the event proper? Strategies are for result-oriented folks. Self-advertised publicity, for image-launderers.
S a m p o
Fly, Eagles! Fly!!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Sampo wrote:

No be this same reason I been dey wonder why Pinnick dey go CNN to make noise about us?

If it's about the sponsors' wallets, couldn't he, as an Exec, employ better, boardroom-type strategies to get us better deals? Why go out there to attract attention and spoil our underdog chances with his noise? The need to be heard! Who needs that? For instance, did anybody hear about the German Federation's camping strategy in 2014 on TV, ahead of the event proper? Strategies are for result-oriented folks. Self-advertised publicity, for image-launderers.
It was public as early as December 2013.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 03580.html
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Sampo
Egg
Egg

Post by Sampo »

metalalloy wrote:
Sampo wrote:

I didn't say it was a secret. They set things up, did the actual deed. Didn't go on PR drive!!!
That's the difference.
S a m p o
Fly, Eagles! Fly!!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Sampo wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
Sampo wrote:

I didn't say it was a secret. They set things up, did the actual deed. Didn't go on PR drive!!!
That's the difference.
Oh you want more?

Here is the website from the German football association with an article about the proposed camp still under construction:
https://www.dfb.de/en/news/detail/campo ... d7bb8f65ea
The article is dated December 13, 2013, 6 months before the world cup

Here are some quotes for you:
"Campo Bahia" will provide ideal conditions for both the team and its support staff, with a nearby training pitch, its own fitness centre and sufficient functional space for the team’s needs.
"Bearing in mind the size of the country and the considerable distances between each tournament venue, it was important for us to minimise the strain of travelling to and from matches as much as possible. Acclimatisation and recovery will also play a major role at this World Cup, and our camp offers ideal conditions in these respects. Due to the early kick-off times and the heat and high humidity expected in Salvador, Fortaleza and Recife, we looked for a base where the players could adapt effectively to the kind of things they can expect to encounter during each match."
Print's not enough? You did ask for it on Tv abi? , Here is a video of the German fa publicizing the proposed camp:

[/video]

This Sir, is PR. So no, there is NO difference.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Speaking the truth is now strategy. Thank is the honest truth about the situation, every team in our group is supposed to beat us, doesn’t mean we can’t overcome our deficiencies and beat them.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Speaking the truth is now strategy. Thank is the honest truth about the situation, every team in our group is supposed to beat us, doesn’t mean we can’t overcome our deficiencies and beat them.
I don't know why some forumers always make a big mess out of nothing. Personally, I prefer the "underdog" position they are giving or have given us. Let's wait and meet on the pitch and go from there.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

metalalloy wrote:
Sampo wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
Sampo wrote:

That's the difference.
Oh you want more?

Here is the website from the German football association with an article about the proposed camp still under construction:

"Campo Bahia" will provide ideal conditions for both the team and its support staff, with a nearby training pitch, its own fitness centre and sufficient functional space for the team’s needs.
"Bearing in mind the size of the country and the considerable distances between each tournament venue, it was important for us to minimise the strain of travelling to and from matches as much as possible. Acclimatisation and recovery will also play a major role at this World Cup, and our camp offers ideal conditions in these respects. Due to the early kick-off times and the heat and high humidity expected in Salvador, Fortaleza and Recife, we looked for a base where the players could adapt effectively to the kind of things they can expect to encounter during each match."
Print's not enough? You did ask for it on Tv abi? , Here is a video of the German fa publicizing the proposed camp:

[/video]

Chai...metalalloy.
This is a very rare Silencer you have served Sampo today.

Sampo, you be correct guy, but today.....sorry. :P :P :P
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Sampo
Egg
Egg

Post by Sampo »

metalalloy wrote:
Sampo wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
Sampo wrote:

That's the difference.
Oh you want more?

[/video]

Granted. But you miss the point completely about the DIFFERENCE.

I wrote that their camping programme was not a secret. The world got to know about it because they didn't make it a clandestine operation. What you have here, both on the German Federation's website and the YouTube post, is the official announcement/confirmation around the same date.

Oliver Bierhoff in his role here (equivalent to our own Toyin Ibitoye's) was breaking the news to the German media - mainly their own reporters, who as would be expected had vested interest in Die Mannschaft. The press conference, in such a situation, was a normal course of action and the duty aptly being delivered by the right personnel. It wasn't a PR offensive, rather somewhat routine in the circumstance - another day in the office for Oliver.
There is nothing out of place for Toyin Ibitoye to have a national media press briefing on SE matters. The Germans, renowned the world over for their superlative efficiency, after this announcement quietly went straight to business.

By no means was this equivalent to the referenced NFF President's forays and dalliance with the foreign press, particularly trumpeting our team's chances to global audiences more than six months before the big party. The Germans, whose efficacy on- and off-field we cannot pretend to match, don't globetrot to sing about their team's prowess (on CNN, BBC, BSkyB and what have you). If and when they really need to speak at all, they know enough to leave such tasks to the Bierhoffs of their organization and to address their domestic audiences, who are the mutual stakeholders in the success of their team.
S a m p o
Fly, Eagles! Fly!!!
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

metalalloy wrote:
Sampo wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
Sampo wrote:

That's the difference.
Oh you want more?

[/video]

That my friends is a blueprint of how you present a case.
You throw a little bone , and when the opposition shows his hands then you let the hammer fall.
:D
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

YemiBrazil wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

1Naija's Comments:

50th not 15th!
Bros, why are you assuming? Considering the channel (highlighted) 1Naija was watching at the time, Johnny Walker could be a meal taken at night o.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Bigpokey24 wrote:

1Naija's Comments:

how you take watch that channel for H-town, send me link nah
He's in Nigeria on vacation too scared to watch his Sooners lose college football playoff :woot:
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923