Personal Insults & Acceptable Forum Behaviour - Your View

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

CE Rules on Personal Insults...

Should not be allowed at all
42%
Should be allowed, with modifications to current rules
3%
Should remain as they are - anything goes
26%
Let's first define what a personal insult actually is
19%
It doesn't matter to me
11%

Total votes: 74

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Personal Insults & Acceptable Forum Behaviour - Your Vie

Post by Waffiman »

Damunk wrote:Moved to Eagles Nest for a while to catch the heavier traffic in here.
There are some that rarely visit Rant n Rave (and vice versa)
I appreciate this thread for it has led to a debate again on this issue. I have at times responded to insults in kind myself.

The poll is interesting, hopefully we can all meet in the middle ground on this issue.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Waffiman wrote:
Damunk wrote:Moved to Eagles Nest for a while to catch the heavier traffic in here.
I appreciate this thread for it has led to a debate again on this issue. I have at times responded to insults in kind myself.

The poll is interesting, hopefully we can all meet in the middle ground on this issue.
The middle ground could be that the moderators respond to insults where the target complains or where persistent insults derail a thread. That way we can preserve the banter. For instance, I do not imagine that you would complain about the 'insults' from Arsenal and rival supporters on the Arsenal thread. If you don't then the moderators have no reason to act. I personally will not object if I am told that I am a very bad lawyer (I have heard that before and I don't mind :D) or a panty washer or a 'good' Igbo or Sabo. However if the recipient objects to it why do we have to continue? Must everyone have this 'backbone' that we keep talking about? Respect is also about considering, within reason, the person who reacts differently from the way we do.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Goldleaf wrote:Damunk,

Thanks for this poll and thread. The current result of the poll is not surprising to me. I feel there is a certain determination from some folks to bring CE down and so far over the years, the quality of discourse here has largely deteriorated. I think we should be more determined to rid CE of those folks that want to bring it down otherwise CE will sink into the history of ignominy.

As Oloye rightly stated, there are some who easily display their poor upbringing, poor education and parental training together with a clear lack of desire to progress/improve and you can easily identify them by their quick recourse to abuse. What I find weird and peculiar is this; how can you insult or throw abuse at someone that you have never met before, you don't know his/her age or whether his/her kids are even older than you? It really is despicable. My approach has been not to launch insult first but to respond overwhelmingly when provoked and if I must throw insults at parents, then so be it.

Over the years, some like me have picked up great insight from outstanding and truly unforgetable analysis. Who will not cherish old SE tales from Oloye or who has not gained knowledge from stories about SE going back to late 60s and early 70s for example? Certainly I have and my nigerian football experience took off from the 1976 AFCON in Ethiopia. Ohsee's tales about Biafra is a joy and who will turn down E11's analysis? Heavyd's book on the history of nigerian football remains a joy. So why should someone who was born in 80s, 90s be able to throw insults around to much older folk and bring meaningful threads to ruin? Why should good folks stand by and watch rotten folks destroy a good thing?

My suggestion is that we adopt a zero tolerance approach. At the first insult thrown by a respondent on CE, the mods should be contacted and a warning issued promptly. At the 3rd warning, the "insulter" should be struck off! Over time, the irritants will be weeded out or forced to conform to decent behaviour and the sanctity of CE will be maintained.

My 2 kobo.
Nonsense ...................this is how Oba the clown nearly DESTROYED CE.
Una don come with una crazy overkill.........................typical BLACK folks reaction.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

zee wrote:

Thanks for this poll and thread. The current result of the poll is not surprising to me. I feel there is a certain determination from some folks to bring CE down and so far over the years, the quality of discourse here has largely deteriorated. I think we should be more determined to rid CE of those folks that want to bring it down otherwise CE will sink into the history of ignominy.

As Oloye rightly stated, there are some who easily display their poor upbringing, poor education and parental training together with a clear lack of desire to progress/improve and you can easily identify them by their quick recourse to abuse. What I find weird and peculiar is this; how can you insult or throw abuse at someone that you have never met before, you don't know his/her age or whether his/her kids are even older than you? It really is despicable. My approach has been not to launch insult first but to respond overwhelmingly when provoked and if I must throw insults at parents, then so be it.

Over the years, some like me have picked up great insight from outstanding and truly unforgetable analysis. Who will not cherish old SE tales from Oloye or who has not gained knowledge from stories about SE going back to late 60s and early 70s for example? Certainly I have and my nigerian football experience took off from the 1976 AFCON in Ethiopia. Ohsee's tales about Biafra is a joy and who will turn down E11's analysis? Heavyd's book on the history of nigerian football remains a joy. So why should someone who was born in 80s, 90s be able to throw insults around to much older folk and bring meaningful threads to ruin? Why should good folks stand by and watch rotten folks destroy a good thing?

My suggestion is that we adopt a zero tolerance approach. At the first insult thrown by a respondent on CE, the mods should be contacted and a warning issued promptly. At the 3rd warning, the "insulter" should be struck off! Over time, the irritants will be weeded out or forced to conform to decent behaviour and the sanctity of CE will be maintained.

My 2 kobo.
Una don come with una crazy overkill.........................typical BLACK folks reaction.
Well, you are also part of the perceived problem.
Look at how you and danfo driver were going at each other on another (Isaac Success) thread recently...and to think you are both grown men with kids. :idea:

Would that ever happen if you were seated across the table from one another in public, talk less if your kids were actually present?

This is what people have a problem with and as a mature adult the least you can do is give their views some respect, even if you do not agree with it.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Damunk wrote:
zee wrote:

My 2 kobo.
Well, you are also part of the perceived problem.
Look at how you and danfo driver were going at each other on another (Isaac Success) thread recently...and to think you are both grown men with kids. :idea:

Would that ever happen if you were seated across the table from one another in public, talk less if your kids were actually present?

This is what people have a problem with and as a mature adult the least you can do is give their views some respect, even if you do not agree with it.
You don't get it.................................I have watched Danfo driver (for a very long time), how he insulted everybody into submission :D . All Arsenal fans dreaded him, I just decided to stoop to his gutter-level and flog the silliness out of him......................and I DID A GREAT JOB OF IT. :clap: :clap:
Arsenal fans :mrgreen: actually see the great Zee :thumbs: :thumbs: as a hero :thumbs: .

BTW.........you need new glasses 'cos I AM NOT chief nfachairman. Check the Isaac Success thread AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

I haven't read this thread but I support Zee in his right to insult:
Dr Sab
AIr head
Ijonnywaka
Oya back to the matter
open and close
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

1naija wrote:
Damunkey, you are abusing your murderaror powers. If i abuse you now you will say i am insulting you. What is the point of the poll? Na by force?

:lol:
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Prince wrote:I haven't read this thread but I support Zee in his right to insult:
Dr Sab
AIr head
Ijonnywaka

you mean 1jonnywaka?

:lol: :lol:
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

airwolex wrote:Most guys here are okay. Sure some lose it, but it's not a pattern. Certainly not as bad as Nairaland or Ghanaweb.

However there are a few forumers that are just over the top. It's impossible for them to disagree with you without resorting to name-calling. I know them and try not to engage them in any form of discussion. It's not that I can't give it back, just that I try to avoid too much negativity when I can. When you think about it, it's ridiculous spending hours exchanging insults with a stranger online. You never know, the guy could be a complete nut-job and there you are wasting your time. I was shocked to hear that people threaten each other and abuse with private messages as well. I have had a few people that have disagreed with me pm me, but they were never disrespectful.

:rotf: :rotf: This says it all.

The forum is just right as it is. There are many people that i don't even read, I just scroll to the next write-up. The forum has been cleaned up a lot, I see nothing wrong as is. I mean what is personal insult anyway, if I call 1naija, 1johnywalker, is that not a personal insult? abeggiii just ignore people.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

ANC wrote:
Prince wrote:I haven't read this thread but I support Zee in his right to insult:
Dr Sab
AIr head
Ijonnywaka

you mean 1jonnywaka?

:lol: :lol:

who be dat? when was this name released?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

just nau nau...abi you no fit read? Thats the new 1naija...made in China.
gmoni1
Egg
Egg

Post by gmoni1 »

We don,t any censorship, we are living in an egalitarian society, let freedom of speech prevail..
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

gmoni1 wrote:We don,t any censorship, we are living in an egalitarian society, let freedom of speech prevail..
Then we should unban words like 1diot and allow parental insults.
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

Damunk wrote:
joplass wrote:I did not need to participate to the poll but I like the thread. I tend to see those who insult as intelligently inferior. When you either can't accept that you are wrong or you don't have arguments to support you point.
Joplass, you would be helping the forum by voting in the poll because we need to have an objective basis on which we can make a decision.
It only takes a few seconds, is anonymous and you even have an option to say the matter is of no importance to you if that is how you feel. :idea:
Bro, I have voted and I am glad to see that I belong with the majority of voters. A forum is a place of ideas, if you are unable to construct an intelligent argument then you don't belong in a forum. Go and and create your own where you can only insult others.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

I believe firmly in the freedom of speech. Inasmuch as it is provided for by both the Nigerian and USA Constitutions (I am citizen and lawyer in both countries), I also believe it need not be spelled out as a fundamental right. It is exactly that - fundamental. Opinion, whether extreme or mundane drives discourse in modern society,while the virtual non-restriction of the internet and social media platforms, blogs and forums provide disparate avenues for expression. Self-regulation becomes extremely important. Every contributor to the forum owes a minimum of civility in the course of exchanges and interaction. When one considers the sheer quality and depth of individuals on this forum, it will indeed be a travesty to allow the transgressions of a deluded few to erode the strides achieved by the forum over the years, and the sheer potential it harbors for Nigerian football and other spheres. Personal insults, hate language and intrinsically divisive speech should NOT be allowed on the Cybereagles Forum.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

We will need to define clearly what is personal insult...
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Obong wrote:I believe firmly in the freedom of speech. Inasmuch as it is provided for by both the Nigerian and USA Constitutions (I am citizen and lawyer in both countries), I also believe it need not be spelled out as a fundamental right. It is exactly that - fundamental. Opinion, whether extreme or mundane drives discourse in modern society,while the virtual non-restriction of the internet and social media platforms, blogs and forums provide disparate avenues for expression. Self-regulation becomes extremely important. Every contributor to the forum owes a minimum of civility in the course of exchanges and interaction. When one considers the sheer quality and depth of individuals on this forum, it will indeed be a travesty to allow the transgressions of a deluded few to erode the strides achieved by the forum over the years, and the sheer potential it harbors for Nigerian football and other spheres. Personal insults, hate language and intrinsically divisive speech should NOT be allowed on the Cybereagles Forum.
And that is the bottom line, when we talk of personal insult, this is what is implied!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
bouncino
Egg
Egg

Post by bouncino »

When is the vote ending?
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

the vote button is not working for me, rigged poll? voter id law?
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
seara
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by seara »

Maybe you've a setting on in you're browser, or an add-on, that is keeping it from working?
Don't take us too serious, we're here to Rant and Rave. - otite
accidental on purpose - Cellular
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

seara wrote:Maybe you've a setting on in you're browser, or an add-on, that is keeping it from working?
thank you seara... i had to change the board style i use, to vote, i have withdrawn my lawsuit.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

Voting will continue until Damunk wins.. :idea:
bouncino wrote:When is the vote ending?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

bouncino wrote:When is the vote ending?
The poll has been up for only 5 days with 61 votes so far. It'd be nice to get to 100 votes at least.
Time-wise, I think 3 weeks is fair, if not 4.

By the way, this isn't Damunk's poll.
Its official.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "