Roy Hodgson is a horrible person

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Roy Hodgson is a horrible person

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

danfo driver wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Hodgson tried to get word to Benteke to drop the gall but was unable to. League rules do not allow coaches on to the pitch.

Palace’s other players should have acted. They should just have taken Benteke aside quietly and explained matters to him.
I suspect league rules also disallow coaches from:

1. asking a player on the pitch to run to Benteke and instruct him to step aside; and

2. having a substitute or asst. coach run to behind the post (where players warm up) and scream at Benteke?
In his post-match interview, Hodgson explained that he tried in vain to get word to Benteke. They elected a penalty taker before the game, so he should not even have needed to.
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

danfo driver let's agree to disagree.

Given his actions yesterday Benteke did not deserve the managers protection. Each to his own
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Hodgson tried to get word to Benteke to drop the gall but was unable to. League rules do not allow coaches on to the pitch.

Palace’s other players should have acted. They should just have taken Benteke aside quietly and explained matters to him.

1. asking a player on the pitch to run to Benteke and instruct him to step aside; and

2. having a substitute or asst. coach run to behind the post (where players warm up) and scream at Benteke?
In his post-match interview, Hodgson explained that he tried in vain to get word to Benteke. They elected a penalty taker before the game, so he should not even have needed to.
I saw his post match -- he specifically said "if it was a training session, i could have gotten a word to him." he didnt try to do that on the match day.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

danfo driver wrote:

1. A couple of the players tried to dissuade Benteke but he no gree. He insisted on missing the penalty.

2. Scream ke? Nah. :lol:
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Benteke is a buffoon. Milo is a far better penalty taker than Benteke...
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

See how selfishness can ruin a whole team? Individual glory hunting has no place in football!
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Benteke was wrong on this one, he deserves the flack as he would have taken credit if he scored. He took a gamble and it failed, so he must deal with the consequences. Not w fan of Roy Hodgson but I don't see anything wrong to call him a horrible person
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Just saw video breakdown of it, showed that one of the players (Morrison I believe) was told by Hodgson to let the designated taker take it and he ran to tell them but Benteke still took it. Not sure how anybody can blame the manager.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

It's a calculated risk that had no payout in the end
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Wetin the Captain dey do for pitch, nah?

The Captain sef deserve slap for not keeping players in line...Abi the Captain dey fear Benteke?

Who born Benteke to try rubbish if Roy Keane wear arm-band for pitch...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

FATHER TIKO wrote:Wetin the Captain dey do for pitch, nah?

The Captain sef deserve slap for not keeping players in line...Abi the Captain dey fear Benteke?

True, leadership is key. Keane, Adams, Beckanbauer, Baresi, etc were master skippers.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

True, leadership is key. Keane, Adams, Beckanbauer, Baresi, etc were master skippers.
Sometimes because you dont want to create nore distraction that could unsettle the penalty taker, everyone often hold their peace until there after. But yes i remember when this happened at City and Balo was insisting on taking the penalty, Kompany went in and hurled his arse away.

Sometimes some players have strong personality,confronting them in the open is not the best option, especially if you dont want a scene that would embarass the club. These things are not straight forward, a lot of thought goes in to determine the best line of option to take on the spot.

That they allowed him to take without harassing his arse is more from psychological side of things....let him take in peace. But when you decide to puff your chest out like proud greyback or peacock, be sure you know what you are doing else a serious grovelling and humbling awaits!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

oloye wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Sometimes because you dont want to create nore distraction that could unsettle the penalty taker, everyone often hold their peace until there after. But yes i remember when this happened at City and Balo was insisting on taking the penalty, Kompany went in and hurled his arse away.

Sometimes some players have strong personality,confronting them in the open is not the best option, especially if you dont want a scene that would embarass the club. These things are not straight forward, a lot of thought goes in to determine the best line of option to take on the spot.

That they allowed him to take without harassing his arse is more from psychological side of things....let him take in peace. But when you decide to puff your chest out like proud greyback or peacock, be sure you know what you are doing else a serious grovelling and humbling awaits!
Oga Oloye, na true you talk...

But for team wey get better captain, everybody sabi him mate, nah...

Na weak leadership create that kind situation wey another player go even contemplate to usurp due process for match...

You think say for SEagles of yesteryears Humphrey Edobor go carry ball for critical PK when Henry Nwosu or Yekini dey there..?
Na one look Keshi go give am, and he go drop ball quick-quick...

Especially for game wey 3pts na difference between relegation place and survival...
- Bill Shankly
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

E be like say you never see "horrible" people before.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
oloye wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Oga Oloye, na true you talk...

But for team wey get better captain, everybody sabi him mate, nah...

Na weak leadership create that kind situation wey another player go even contemplate to usurp due process for match...

You think say for SEagles of yesteryears Humphrey Edobor go carry ball for critical PK when Henry Nwosu or Yekini dey there..?
Na one look Keshi go give am, and he go drop ball quick-quick...

Especially for game wey 3pts na difference between relegation place and survival...
My brother Etim did the same for Keshi, all Keshi could do was leave him alone. Leadership is not neccesarilly having your way, but finding a way to be in the leading position at the end of the day.

Etim fell on his pride and where was he when SE made the historic WC appearance. Benteke fell flat on his face..sometimes the best way to deal with a fool is to allow him to fall on his blade.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Etim na yeye guy o...

I heard that after a game, Coach Udemezue wanted him to join his mates rather than strutting away alone to town, and Etim shrugged off Udemezue:
"Wetin..? I never win the match for you? Wetin again?"

Yeye guy...
- Bill Shankly
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

A few weeks ago Lukaku (who was on a long scoring drought) tried to take a penalty for Man Utd in similar circumstances. Mourinho shouted from the bench and forbade him from taking it. Then he also forbade Andrew Smith from taking the penalty, and instead called up a third player (Daley Blind) who converted the penalty.
oluphemmie007 wrote:any manager that didnt do his most outrageous to stop a Benteke from taking today's penalty kick is a proper misfit. Dude does not even know what it means to score anymore.