ADEPOJU: Give Oba Martins a Recall....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
ADEPOJU: Give Oba Martins a Recall....

Post by Enugu II »

Obafemi Martins should be given Eagles’ chance ahead of World Cup – Mutiu Adepoju
By Iroha Udoka - December 9, 2017
https://www.today.ng/sport/football/407 ... um=twitter

Former Nigeria midfielder Mutiu Adepoju believes Shanghai Shenhua striker Obafemi Martins has done enough to return to the Super Eagles ahead of the Russia 2018 World Cup.

Martins, who joined Shenhua in 2016, returned to the news recently after he scored a scorcher in his team’s Chinese FA Cup win over city rivals Shanghai SIPG.

The 33-year-old has successfully relegated world’s highest earning footballer, Carlos Tevez, to the bench with his performance for the club.

Apart from leading them to the FA Cup title, Martins helped Shenhua finish 11th in the 16-team Chinese Super League.

In his first season in China, Martins scored 15 goals in 31 appearances while in the 2017 season, he scored 13 goals in 21 appearances for the club.

Martins, who was part of Nigeria’s team to the South Africa 2010 World Cup, is Nigeria’s sixth highest goalscorer with 18 goals in 41 appearances. He last featured for the team in 2015 in a Russia 2018 World Cup qualifier against Swaziland.

After his performance in the Chinese FA Cup, Eagles coach, Gernot Rohr, said the former Inter Milan striker was open to an invitation to the team ahead of the World Cup because the team needed to get competition in all areas.

And Adepoju, who represented Nigeria at the 1994 and 1998 World Cups, told newsmen during the week that Martins’ performances in China were good enough to earn him a return to the Eagles.

The former Spain-based footballer said the Eagles could do with Martins’ experience and fitness to enhance competition in the attacking department of the team.

“The coach can never be wrong with opening the door to all good players ahead of the World Cup. The World Cup is a competitive event and every coach wants to do well. Before Rohr can make that comment about Martins, he must have observed his performance for a while and not with just a match,” he said.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: ADEPOJU: Give Oba Martins a Recall....

Post by 1naija »

Agents
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
opine
Egg
Egg

Post by opine »

Are the things he said about Martins true? If so why not.
Tbite wrote: Yes we have deadweights in our team like Babatunde, Agbim and Rueben, but they are OUR deadweights! Our wastepipes! We must love them...respect them! If we do not love our junks....who will? Who?
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Martins is a complete baller, surely better than nwakeame and kayode
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

I am actually for this...
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Wouldn’t mind Obagoal at all. If ighalo and Mikel are called then world class obagoal deserves a chance
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Especially if he is currently out performing Ighalo in the same league
john12 wrote:Wouldn’t mind Obagoal at all. If ighalo and Mikel are called then world class obagoal deserves a chance
esosa
Egg
Egg

Post by esosa »

Do we have a better striker than Martins at the moment? If so, who is he.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

9jaMan wrote:Martins is a complete baller, surely better than nwakeame and kayode
... if so, he should be called to camp and let the coaches tell us what they think of him. Who knows, he might be one of our best - at least - to come from the bench.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

9jaMan wrote:Martins is a complete baller, surely better than nwakeame and kayode
Not true. Martins is just a goal scorer. He cannot play with his back to goal.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

This.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

If Martins is just a goal scorer what’s wrong with that? Isn’t striker responsibility to score goals? Anyway, Martins game transcends goal scoring. In addition to goal scoring, his creative, technical, skillful and fast. In fact, the Martins of MLS and China is more intelligent than young oba goal. I believed eve that he at least deserves a chance to show if his still capable of performing
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by General Trousers »

I am 100% for this. It is necessary that he be included.

<
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Martins’ best days are way behind him. He was invited back by I think Oliseh and it was clear he was no longer up to international football. Can we please leave sleeping dogs lie abeg.

Obafemi Martins has zero business around the Super Eagles. If he has a teenage son then yes, let us look at him.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

2 of our best players ighalo and Mikel plays at the same league with Martins. Now, tell me why you’re discriminating against oba goal? Or why you believe he doesn’t deserve a chance?
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Not true. Martins is just a goal scorer. He cannot play with his back to goal.
that's what we need up front because martins pose constant threat every ball he gets; it frees the back for support of a more offensive posture but ready to withdraw in the event of a counter offense. Point is martins inclusion make the SE a more formidable Team in Russia given the experience factor that he brings. Good to see a majority consensus in support & recognition of his capacities
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

Why is nobody campaigning for Ike Uche the garri master? SE need him too.
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

achuzia-the-air-raid wrote:Why is nobody campaigning for Ike Uche the garri master? SE need him too.
Abi oooo. If Martins comes back, so too should Uche, Emenike, Ameobi, Dike, Nwofor, Ideye and maybe Yakubu self!
ok will be done
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

Agreed, and has less baggage in terms of issues with distraction.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
achuzia-the-air-raid wrote:Why is nobody campaigning for Ike Uche the garri master? SE need him too.
Abi oooo. If Martins comes back, so too should Uche, Emenike, Ameobi, Dike, Nwofor, Ideye and maybe Yakubu self!
ok will be done
Definitely not Yakubu. He retired.

But our former Everton Ace can still do the do - Victor Anichebe. We should call him up?

But first you have to create spots for him in your 10-pointers and mock lineups.

Russia go take!!
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

balo wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
ok will be done
Definitely not Yakubu. He retired.

But our former Everton Ace can still do the do - Victor Anichebe. We should call him up?

But first you have to create spots for him in your 10-pointers and mock lineups.

Russia go take!!

Fans can be naive. Obafemi Martins has no business near the Super Eagles. What role will he play?
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Hmm, na wa-oo! I am surprised with what I am reading in this thread. Thus, Forumers want coach Rohr and his crew to recall these players listed in the above posts? Well, the coach should call me to camp as well. I think I can help the Super-eagles.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Martins’ best days are way behind him. He was invited back by I think Oliseh and it was clear he was no longer up to international football. Can we please leave sleeping dogs lie abeg.

Obafemi Martins has zero business around the Super Eagles. If he has a teenage son then yes, let us look at him.

Not even a month ago a 28 year old plying his trade in Israel was stinking up the joint in Algeria.

Martins has better technique, intelligence, and scoring ability than Nwakaeme. He is more dynamic as well.

IMO Nwakaeme should never have been called in the first place, but I think Martins deserves a chance

but so does

Bonaventure, Okonkwo

Not much time left tbh

I have not been impressed by Kayode, watched him for his club a few times and he just strikes me as a fast runner and not much else.

Oddly enough I think Nigeria could use Martins right now.