Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:00 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:48 pm
Posts: 21333
He's experienced, but im not sure his game will fit the current style of play. I'll let coach decide, it's up to them really. If he's outperforming Ighalo in the same league he's atleast worth a look.

It's about current performance.

_________________
http://www.webtraffichighway.com
Web Traffic tutorial 101. Drive web traffic to your website yourself.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:46 am
Posts: 28895
NO!!

_________________
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB GT755M | 8GB DDR3L | 1TB 5400RPM | N2230 | LGIPS237L/LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: HP Pavilion 2500: Core2Duo T5250 1.5GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 320GB | 64MB NVidia GeF8400M - Linux Mint Cinnamon
HTC One - BB Z10 - APPLE IPad Mini


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:57 pm
Posts: 53397
Location: United Kingdom
vancity eagle wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Martins’ best days are way behind him. He was invited back by I think Oliseh and it was clear he was no longer up to international football. Can we please leave sleeping dogs lie abeg.

Obafemi Martins has zero business around the Super Eagles. If he has a teenage son then yes, let us look at him.



Not even a month ago a 28 year old plying his trade in Israel was stinking up the joint in Algeria.

Martins has better technique, intelligence, and scoring ability than Nwakaeme. He is more dynamic as well.

IMO Nwakaeme should never have been called in the first place, but I think Martins deserves a chance

but so does

Bonaventure, Okonkwo

Not much time left tbh

I have not been impressed by Kayode, watched him for his club a few times and he just strikes me as a fast runner and not much else.

Oddly enough I think Nigeria could use Martins right now.


Martins cannot play as a targetman. He is nowhere near strong or big enough to hold the ball up. He also does not have the legs to play as a wife forward. There is simply no place for him in the squad.

Our choices for targetman are two out of Ighalo, Kayode, Okonkwo, Osimhen and Awoniyi. Our choices for wide men are four out of Moses, Onyekuru, Iheanacho, Bazee, Bonaventure, Dessers and Nwakaeme.

_________________
www.fuellingthedeltafires.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Posts: 845
What’s with you and target man? Do Nigeria look like we like hoofing the ball around? Strikers responsibilities are to score goals and Martins has proven that he can score goals


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:57 pm
Posts: 53397
Location: United Kingdom
john12 wrote:
What’s with you and target man? Do Nigeria look like we like hoofing the ball around? Strikers responsibilities are to score goals and Martins has proven that he can score goals


Rohr will not be irresponsible and play a World Cup match without a targetman who can hold the ball up. Every one of the 11 players in his team must have a role.

_________________
www.fuellingthedeltafires.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Posts: 845
You’re a learner. So, you would rather have a target man that holds the ball than a top striker that will score goals? This is the nonsense that got ameobi, uchebo, nwafor to World Cup ahead of Martins, Ike uche


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:57 pm
Posts: 53397
Location: United Kingdom
john12 wrote:
You’re a learner. So, you would rather have a target man that holds the ball than a top striker that will score goals? This is the nonsense that got ameobi, uchebo, nwafor to World Cup ahead of Martins, Ike uche


Thomas Muller
Jesus Gabriel
Alexander Lacazette
Sergio Aguero
Diego Costa
Harry Kane
Mario Mandzukic
Romelu Lukaku

Every serious team plays with a targetman. He and the goalkeeper are the first names on the scoresheet!

_________________
www.fuellingthedeltafires.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Posts: 33643
Location: Land of the Terrapins
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
john12 wrote:
You’re a learner. So, you would rather have a target man that holds the ball than a top striker that will score goals? This is the nonsense that got ameobi, uchebo, nwafor to World Cup ahead of Martins, Ike uche


Thomas Muller - Not a target man, jeez
Jesus Gabriel - Not a target man, he's a tiny quick forward
Alexander Lacazette - Maybe if you said Giroud, but really?
Sergio Aguero - Not a City starter, not really a target man either.
Diego Costa
Harry Kane
Mario Mandzukic
Romelu Lukaku

Every serious team plays with a targetman. He and the goalkeeper are the first names on the scoresheet!

_________________
Super Eagus 4 Life!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Posts: 845
Ayo, most of the strikers you listed are pure strikers and not targetman so your example are flawed. I grew up with strikers like ronaldo, etoo, henry, and this guys weren’t target men but they knew how to core, create, dribble etc. A striker main responsibility is to score goals and not hold the ball. If he scores consistently and additionally holds the ball that’s extra. However, a striker main responsibility is to score goals


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:29 am
Posts: 49796
friendlies will decide

_________________
Image
MISSION STATEMENT:To help Middle America’s families identify and resolve
critical financial matters that they have not addressed
and of which they may not even be aware

I KNOW MY FOOTBALL!!!!!
You have eyes, use it!-Robbynice,2011
CLUBS: CHELSEA FC, 3SC IBADAN.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:57 pm
Posts: 53397
Location: United Kingdom
john12 wrote:
Ayo, most of the strikers you listed are pure strikers and not targetman so your example are flawed. I grew up with strikers like ronaldo, etoo, henry, and this guys weren’t target men but they knew how to core, create, dribble etc. A striker main responsibility is to score goals and not hold the ball. If he scores consistently and additionally holds the ball that’s extra. However, a striker main responsibility is to score goals


(1) I do not want to be rude but you are really taxing my patience
(2) Every serious team needs a striker who can hold on to the ball when it is played up to him
(3) At the World Cup chances are at a premium, so this talk about endless goals is just naive
(4) Against top teams, you have to try and keep hold of the ball as much as possible
(5) When you are under pressure you need an outlet upfront
(6) Your target man holds on to the ball, fights of challenges and brings his team mates into play
(7) If you play the ball forward and it keeps coming back, you are just inviting pressure on yourself
(8) Ideally, I would love a world class targetman like Eto’o, Drogba, Van Basten, Bergkamp, Diego Costa, Klinsman, Ronaldo, Batistuta, Salas, Vialli, Kliuvert, etc, who are complete players
(9) A world class striker gives you everything- Holding up the ball, scoring, heading, dribbling, defence splitting passes, etc
(10) We need a player in this mould for the World Cup and in my book, Odion Ighalo is the best we have. As his back-up, I would take one of Awoniyi, Okonkwo, Osimhen or Kayode!

_________________
www.fuellingthedeltafires.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Posts: 845
1, You’re talking nonsense as usual. Every team needs a top striker that can score and goals create goals. (Peel, Ronaldo, Henry)
2, what’s the essence of holding the ball if you cannot score
3, this is not English football that you will hold the ball and not score.
4, omo i don tire for this 10 pointers
5, today I went to church in the morning
6, the name of my church is redemers chapel of Christ Maryland
7, our pastor name is pastor Kobe sarpong (pastor Kobe)
8, he officially became a doctor today
9, pastor Kobe preached about praying without ceasing
10, 21 days fasting already started but I have missed 11 days
11, ayo, omo you get time


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:18 pm
Posts: 23
A striker who can actually strike is always worth looking at. At present we don't have a striker who is so dominant that we can say we don't need to explore further options. So let Martins come to camp if he keeps his form and fight for a shirt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:21 pm
Posts: 7842
donadoni wrote:
A striker who can actually strike is always worth looking at. At present we don't have a striker who is so dominant that we can say we don't need to explore further options. So let Martins come to camp if he keeps his form and fight for a shirt.



simple as that. Is not like i am a super fan of martins...but someone like him can come off the bench and contribute in key situations. And he has a lot of experience to offer. I wouldn't use martins against african teams, but in the world cup proper...he can add a lot.

Ighalo is not it, SE is just managing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 5866
ANC wrote:
donadoni wrote:
A striker who can actually strike is always worth looking at. At present we don't have a striker who is so dominant that we can say we don't need to explore further options. So let Martins come to camp if he keeps his form and fight for a shirt.



simple as that. Is not like i am a super fan of martins...but someone like him can come off the bench and contribute in key situations. And he has a lot of experience to offer. I wouldn't use martins against african teams, but in the world cup proper...he can add a lot.

Ighalo is not it, SE is just managing.


If both of you are willing to pay for Martins' flight, hotel room, feeding, transportation, kit, etc etc, then we will let him come to camp and "fight for a shirt"

_________________
metalalloy wrote:
Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:14 pm
Posts: 7188
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Martins’ best days are way behind him. He was invited back by I think Oliseh and it was clear he was no longer up to international football. Can we please leave sleeping dogs lie abeg.

Obafemi Martins has zero business around the Super Eagles. If he has a teenage son then yes, let us look at him.



Not accurate Ayo. Martins actually played well in his brief stint under Oliseh.

All the same, I would say no to his recall. We have enough options in attack. Rohr needs to choose wisely from among our younger options. Recalling Martins is the lazy man's solution, rather than the right solution to finding that 3rd striker that we need.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:21 pm
Posts: 7842
@Mystic River. Martins is not a lazy mans solution...but an insurance policy.,


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:46 pm
Posts: 52947
Here we go again with the hyping.

All I know is Ighalo is playing well for Nigeria and he is scoring goals in China.


And it is not true that Obafemi Martins is outperforming Ighalo in China.


Ighalo has 15 goals in all competitions in 2017, Martins has 7.

http://us.soccerway.com/players/obafemi-martins/4466/

_________________
Winners do it the right way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kimbo5c0Ak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAchpi46lA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:46 pm
Posts: 52947
mystic wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Martins’ best days are way behind him. He was invited back by I think Oliseh and it was clear he was no longer up to international football. Can we please leave sleeping dogs lie abeg.

Obafemi Martins has zero business around the Super Eagles. If he has a teenage son then yes, let us look at him.



Not accurate Ayo. Martins actually played well in his brief stint under Oliseh.

All the same, I would say no to his recall. We have enough options in attack. Rohr needs to choose wisely from among our younger options. Recalling Martins is the lazy man's solution, rather than the right solution to finding that 3rd striker that we need.


If Martins is playing well, he should be recalled and given a chance. We are playing Seychelles and Poland in March. Playing England in June.

_________________
Winners do it the right way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kimbo5c0Ak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAchpi46lA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:57 pm
Posts: 53397
Location: United Kingdom
Martins' official age is 33. Only a madman ready for admission into the lunatic asylum would invite him back to the Super Eagles camp!

_________________
www.fuellingthedeltafires.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:46 pm
Posts: 52947
The best players must play regardless of age and etc. Watching him recently, I don't think he is better than what we currently have. I may be wrong. I am not buying the hype. But there is no harm inviting Martins to camp to fight for a place.

_________________
Winners do it the right way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kimbo5c0Ak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAchpi46lA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:57 pm
Posts: 53397
Location: United Kingdom
ohenhen1 wrote:
The best players must play regardless of age and etc. Watching him recently, I don't think he is better than what we currently have. I may be wrong. I am not buying the hype. But there is no harm inviting Martins to camp to fight for a place.



What role would Martins be fighting for?

_________________
www.fuellingthedeltafires.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:46 pm
Posts: 52947
Ighalo
Iheanacho
Success
Aaron Samuel
Musa- should be tried out as a center forward.
Osimhen
Bazee
Umar Sadiq
Chikatara
Awoniyi


We have enough options

_________________
Winners do it the right way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kimbo5c0Ak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAchpi46lA


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bk-one, cchinukw, Google [Bot], ikeo, Tunisian Gooner and 37 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group