Not a bad weekend for our Eagles in the main

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Not a bad weekend for our Eagles in the main

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Tyronne Ebuehi has served his one match ban and played the full 90 minutes for Aso Den Haag

Leon Balogun is back for Mainz. He played the full 90 minutes against Leipzig but alas gave a penalty away in first half injury time. Fortunately, Mainz equalised to save his blushes

Kelechi Nwakali started for Venlo. I hope this trend continues

Wilfred Ndidi won the man of the match award against Newcastle United

Victor Moses once more showed how suicidal it is not to start him for Chelsea

Taiwo Awoniyi played 90 minutes for Mouscotn again

Victor Osimhen made a cameo appearance for Wolfsburg
Last edited by Ayo Akinfe on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Not a bad weekend for our Eagles in the main

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Tyronne Ebuehi has served his one match ban and played the full 90 minutes for Aso Den Haag

Leon Balogun is back for Mainz. He played the full 90 minutes against Leipzig but alas gave a penalty away in first half injury time. Fortunately, Mainz equalised to save his blushes

Wilfred Ndidi won the man of the match award against Leicester

Excellent but Ndidi played against Newcastle United.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Tyronne Ebuehi has served his one match ban and played the full 90 minutes for Aso Den Haag

Wilfred Ndidi won the man of the match award against Leicester

Excellent but Ndidi played against Newcastle United.
Ayo's over-excitement got the better of him, but it's understandable. Of all the players listed up there, the only one that excites me is Oshimen. I think that boy is the dark horse for a place among the forwards. The few glimpses of him I have seen shows a box 18 striker, who runs and positioning come naturally. He is big and can hold his own. He is a gem waiting to be unleashed.

If I were to chose, he will be my gamble in the 23. But that choice is for Rohr.
To stop trying is to start dying
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

Wilfred Ndidi won the man of the match award against Leicester :???:

Ayo take am easy, world cup fever
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Players who really have to grab starting shirts in their teams by March when we play our next two friendlies:

Francis Uzoho
Kelechi Nwakali
Victor Osimhen
Kayode Olanrewaju
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Players who really have to grab starting shirts in their teams by March when we play our next two friendlies:

Francis Uzoho
Kelechi Nwakali
Victor Osimhen
Kayode Olanrewaju

1. Aside from injuries to the first team guys, I don't see Uzoho breaking into the first team.

2. Nwakali really needs a consistent run in the starting line-up for MVV to be considered. All the same, I don't think that he stands much of a chance to make the World Cup squad.

3. Mario Gomez is the starting forward for Wolfsburg. Barring injury or an unlikely January sell-off, Osihmen will not start ahead of him. A more realistic wish for Osihmen would be for him to see consistent minutes off the bench and maybe occasionally start as a wing forward.

4. Kayode really needs to be starting for Girona. No question about that.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

mystic wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Players who really have to grab starting shirts in their teams by March when we play our next two friendlies:

Francis Uzoho
Kelechi Nwakali
Victor Osimhen
Kayode Olanrewaju

1. Aside from injuries to the first team guys, I don't see Uzoho breaking into the first team.

2. Nwakali really needs a consistent run in the starting line-up for MVV to be considered. All the same, I don't think that he stands much of a chance to make the World Cup squad.

3. Mario Gomez is the starting forward for Wolfsburg. Barring injury or an unlikely January sell-off, Osihmen will not start ahead of him. A more realistic wish for Osihmen would be for him to see consistent minutes off the bench and maybe occasionally start as a wing forward.

Name me one player who can match what Nwakali offers Nigeria as a playmaker. Of the 180m of us, I do not see anyone who comes close!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
mystic wrote:

Francis Uzoho
Kelechi Nwakali
Victor Osimhen
Kayode Olanrewaju

Name me one player who can match what Nwakali offers Nigeria as a playmaker. Of the 180m of us, I do not see anyone who comes close!
You've watched him zero times this season. Zero!
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
mystic wrote:

Francis Uzoho
Kelechi Nwakali
Victor Osimhen
Kayode Olanrewaju

The better question is: What has Nwakali ever done for Nigeria as a playmaker?? Hell! He has NEVER EVEN played for Nigeria, so how can we compare him to anyone?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
mystic wrote:

Francis Uzoho
Kelechi Nwakali
Victor Osimhen
Kayode Olanrewaju

It's not about naming names, but whether the young man is ready for the World Cup stage. At this point, he's not ready - not by a long-shot.

Furthermore, Nigeria's current squad has several players capable of slotting into that advanced central midfield role. Mikel, Iwobi, Etebo and Ihenacho are all superior options to Nwakali at present. And if I were looking to add anyone else into the mix, my first choice would be Omatsone Aluko.

No doubt Nwakali is a major talent. But he doesn't currently merit consideration for the March friendlies. As you intimated before, he needs to be starting week in and week out. That should be his focus for now.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

mystic wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
mystic wrote:

Francis Uzoho
Kelechi Nwakali
Victor Osimhen
Kayode Olanrewaju

It's not about naming names, but whether the young man is ready for the World Cup stage. At this point, he's not ready - not by a long-shot.

Furthermore, Nigeria's current squad has several players capable of slotting into that advanced central midfield role. Mikel, Iwobi, Etebo and Ihenacho are all superior options to Nwakali at present. And if I were looking to add anyone else into the mix, my first choice would be Omatsone Aluko.

No doubt Nwakali is a major talent. But he doesn't currently merit consideration for the March friendlies. As you intimated before, he needs to be starting week in and week out. That should be his focus for now.
None of those players you listed are playmakers. When I look at Neymar, Erickson, Ozil, Modric, etc I see how badly we need Nwakali to come good. I like in hope that he can deliver before the season ends.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Bazee is on the bench for Hannover

Success was also on the bench for Watford.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Chidozie injured in pre-match warmups? I thought I saw him in the line up but he's not playing now and he's not on the bench either
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

:thumbs:
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Good that our long term injured players are coming back and were named on the bench I.e. Bazee (Hannover), Nura (Roma), Success (Watford) and Enyeama played his first game in 7 months. The omens are looking good.
I am happy
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
mystic wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
mystic wrote:

Francis Uzoho
Kelechi Nwakali
Victor Osimhen
Kayode Olanrewaju

None of those players you listed are playmakers. When I look at Neymar, Erickson, Ozil, Modric, etc I see how badly we need Nwakali to come good. I like in hope that he can deliver before the season ends.

I honestly don't think that you know what are talking about.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Dammy wrote:Good that our long term injured players are coming back and were named on the bench I.e. Bazee (Hannover), Nura (Roma), Success (Watford) and Enyeama played his first game in 7 months. The omens are looking good.
Add Joel Obi to the list. To be honest, the only area where I have concerns now is the playmaker position.
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
mystic wrote:

Francis Uzoho
Kelechi Nwakali
Victor Osimhen
Kayode Olanrewaju

Name me one player who can match what Nwakali offers Nigeria as a playmaker. Of the 180m of us, I do not see anyone who comes close
!
Abdul Ajagun - consistently playing regardless of club in the AM role the last 3 seasons. Good scoring ability and assist. Mobile, smart and good at set pieces.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Francis Uzoho
Kelechi Nwakali
Victor Osimhen
Kayode Olanrewaju
Uzoho being a young goal keeper either has to go out on loan or play regularly with the reserves who in Spain play lower league football against other professionals.The other three out field players should be able to to atleast play regularly with the first whether they start or not that's another story.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

icee wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
mystic wrote:

Francis Uzoho
Kelechi Nwakali
Victor Osimhen
Kayode Olanrewaju

Name me one player who can match what Nwakali offers Nigeria as a playmaker. Of the 180m of us, I do not see anyone who comes close
!
Abdul Ajagun - consistently playing regardless of club in the AM role the last 3 seasons. Good scoring ability and assist. Mobile, smart and good at set pieces.
Not a bad idea to be honest. I hope Rohr is watching him.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Our super star was again on the score sheet agaiin for Anderlect in their 3-1 defeat at home.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

At the moment I would start Iwobi, Mikel, Ajagun, Etebo, and even Aluko in that order all ahead of Nwakali as AMs for the simple fact that they have all played that position for their club or the SE. Nwakali hasn't played as an AM since the U17 world cup, and has been used mainly on the wings since he arrived Holland.

He needs to play more regularly at Venlo to be considered for the SE. It's one thing to struggle to get minutes at Arsenal, Wolfsburg, or Leicester; however, it's hard for me to imagine Rohr would invite a player that's struggling to get minutes at lowly Venlo.

We have limited options at goalie, so I won't be surprised if Uzoho wins the starting spot before the world cup. Oshimen and Kayode have their work cut out for them too, but the advantage they have over Nwakali is Rohr has had them in camo before.

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
icee wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
mystic wrote:

Francis Uzoho
Kelechi Nwakali
Victor Osimhen
Kayode Olanrewaju

!
Not a bad idea to be honest. I hope Rohr is watching him.