Who agrees with Van Gaal that it's not just about winning?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Who agrees with Van Gaal that it's not just about winning?

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] I for one am in 100% with Luis Van Gaal that Jose Mourinho's philosophy of winning at all costs is unacceptable. As a football purist, I simply cannot stomach teams that park the bus and look for wins through set pieces. Football is supposed to be the beautiful game

[2] Most people my age grew up appreciating Brazilian football. For us, the 1970 Brazilian World Cup-winning squad is the best national team ever and we simply want to see the kind of display we saw in the World Cup final that year everyday. Brazil hammered 4-1 in one of the finest displays of football you will ever see. Those of you who also watched the 1978 Challenge Cup final will appreciate what I am saying. Bendel Insurance brought Brazilian football to Nigeria that day

[3] In Europe, the person who stands out as the best ever master of the game is the Dutchman Rinus Michels. First of all with Ajax and then Barcelona and of course Holland, he introduced the concept of Total Football. Under this philosophy, every player could play in every position. You could watch Holland for five hours non-stop and never get bored under Michels

[4] Brazil and Holland are two teams that appeal to neutrals because of the inhibited way in which they play and the fluidity of their game. If Nigeria wants to become a genuine footballing power, we have to provide an appeal and not just grinds results out

[5] As we prepare for Russia 2018, there is once more a big buzz around the Super Eagles and Gernot Rohr has to capitalise on this by winning in style. Fans must see a team that plays expansive, free-flowing and entertaining football that not only wins but does so in style

[6] For me, having a playmaker is central to this. Whether it be Kelechi Nwakali or Abdul Ajagun, I want to see a playmaker who can pass the ball with the outside of his foot, deliver cross-field passes, ping 50 yard balls to team mates and split opposing defences open with one-twos on the edge of their penalty area

[7] On top of this , we need to adopt the Brazilian approach of using the full width of the pitch to play. Good fullbacks, who can bomb up and down the pitch and whip in crosses that mesmerise are essential to this, which is why I would play Tyronne Ebuehi and Joel Obi as my two fullbacks. I want to see them go past opponents and whip balls into the opposing area

[8] When you add having a good targetman who can hold up the ball and bring his team mates into play, you have the making of a good team. For now, Odion Ighalo is the only one I can see playing that role but it is a delight to see a targetman bring the ball down and with the flick of a boot, take out two defenders and then lay on a pass to an uncoming team mate

[9] I am quite happy with our central midfield as Mikel and Ndidi are both versatile, When we win the ball, one can sit and the other drive the play forward. This combination needs to be worked upon though

[10] for me, the only missing ingredient left to add to the mix is centrebacks who can play the ball out of defence. Let us see who delivers out of Ekong, Balogun, Awazien and Omerui but we have the nucleus of a good team here. Those of you whio watched Franz Beckanbauer, Franco Baresi, etc will appreciate what I am on about

If the World Cup were starting today, this would be my starting 11:

*************************************************Ighalo***********************************************

*******************Onyekuru***************************************Moses***************************

**************************************************Nwakali*********************************************

*************************Mikel*************************************Ndidi*******************************

***Joel***********************Balogun***********************Ekong***********************Ebuehi***

*****************************************************Uzoho***********************************************

Subs
Aiyenugba
Alampasu
Abdullahi
Idowu
Awaziem
Omeruo
Onazi
Etebo
Iwobi
Iheanacho
Bazee/Dessers/Bonaventura
Awoniyi/Osimhen/Kayode

Standby
Ezenwa
Aina
Agbo
Ogu
Ajagun
Awoniyi/Osimhen/Kayode

If playing to their full potential, these guys can deliver the goods. They can win and win in style. Add the lovely kit Andrew Randa designed for the team to the mix and yes, we are on the verge of something great. Whether we live this dream is another matter as there is a huge gulf between potential and actualisation.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Who agrees with Van Gaal that it's not just about winnin

Post by Dammy »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] I for one am in 100% with Luis Van Gaal that Jose Mourinho's philosophy of winning at all costs is unacceptable. As a football purist, I simply cannot stomach teams that park the bus and look for wins through set pieces. Football is supposed to be the beautiful game

[2] Most people my age grew up appreciating Brazilian football. For us, the 1970 Brazilian World Cup-winning squad is the best national team ever and we simply want to see the kind of display we saw in the World Cup final that year everyday. Brazil hammered 4-1 in one of the finest displays of football you will ever see. Those of you who also watched the 1978 Challenge Cup final will appreciate what I am saying. Bendel Insurance brought Brazilian football to Nigeria that day

[3] In Europe, the person who stands out as the best ever master of the game is the Dutchman Rinus Michels. First of all with Ajax and then Barcelona and of course Holland, he introduced the concept of Total Football. Under this philosophy, every player could play in every position. You could watch Holland for five hours non-stop and never get bored under Michels

[4] Brazil and Holland are two teams that appeal to neutrals because of the inhibited way in which they play and the fluidity of their game. If Nigeria wants to become a genuine footballing power, we have to provide an appeal and not just grinds results out

[5] As we prepare for Russia 2018, there is once more a big buzz around the Super Eagles and Gernot Rohr has to capitalise on this by winning in style. Fans must see a team that plays expansive, free-flowing and entertaining football that not only wins but does so in style

[6] For me, having a playmaker is central to this. Whether it be Kelechi Nwakali or Abdul Ajagun, I want to see a playmaker who can pass the ball with the outside of his foot, deliver cross-field passes, ping 50 yard balls to team mates and split opposing defences open with one-twos on the edge of their penalty area

[7] On top of this , we need to adopt the Brazilian approach of using the full width of the pitch to play. Good fullbacks, who can bomb up and down the pitch and whip in crosses that mesmerise are essential to this, which is why I would play Tyronne Ebuehi and Joel Obi as my two fullbacks. I want to see them go past opponents and whip balls into the opposing area

[8] When you add having a good targetman who can hold up the ball and bring his team mates into play, you have the making of a good team. For now, Odion Ighalo is the only one I can see playing that role but it is a delight to see a targetman bring the ball down and with the flick of a boot, take out two defenders and then lay on a pass to an uncoming team mate

[9] I am quite happy with our central midfield as Mikel and Ndidi are both versatile, When we win the ball, one can sit and the other drive the play forward. This combination needs to be worked upon though

[10] for me, the only missing ingredient left to add to the mix is centrebacks who can play the ball out of defence. Let us see who delivers out of Ekong, Balogun, Awazien and Omerui but we have the nucleus of a good team here. Those of you whio watched Franz Beckanbauer, Franco Baresi, etc will appreciate what I am on about

*************************************************Ighalo***********************************************

*******************Onyekuru***************************************Moses***************************

**************************************************Nwakali*********************************************

*************************Mikel*************************************Ndidi*******************************

***Joel***********************Balogun***********************Ekong***********************Ebuehi***

*****************************************************Uzoho***********************************************

Subs
Aiyenugba
Alampasu
Abdullahi
Idowu
Awaziem
Omeruo
Onazi
Etebo
Iwobi
Iheanacho
Awoniyi/Osimhen/Kayode

Standby
Ezenwa
Aina
Agbo
Ogu
Ajagun
Awoniyi/Osimhen/Kayode

If playing to their full potential, these guys can deliver the goods. They can win and win in style. Add the lovely kit Andrew Randa designed for the team to the mix and yes, we are on the verge of something great. Whether we live this dream is another matter as there is a huge gulf between potential and actualisation.
Everything you write must revolve around Nwakili.
I am happy
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Dammy wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] I for one am in 100% with Luis Van Gaal that Jose Mourinho's philosophy of winning at all costs is unacceptable. As a football purist, I simply cannot stomach teams that park the bus and look for wins through set pieces. Football is supposed to be the beautiful game

Subs
Aiyenugba
Alampasu
Abdullahi
Idowu
Awaziem
Omeruo
Onazi
Etebo
Iwobi
Iheanacho
Awoniyi/Osimhen/Kayode

Standby
Ezenwa
Aina
Agbo
Ogu
Ajagun
Awoniyi/Osimhen/Kayode

Yep, However, you look at it, a playmaker is key to playing well. We all have our different footballing philosophies but for me, having a man who can playmake is simply a must.

I have tagged my brand of soccer Palmwine Football. It is a mix between Brazilian Samba and Dutch Total Football but it is based on pace, athleticism and turning defence into attack within seconds. Without a playmaker who can deliver kliller passes, it simply will not work.

How I wish we had JJ at our disposal now. If Nwakali cannot do the job, then Abdul Ajagun has to step up to the plate. Let us entertain the world. Spain have given us Tika Taka, Brazil have given us Samba and Holland, to use a Ruud Guillet phrase have given us "sexy football."
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Ayo did you see the 1978 African Nation's Cup games?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Kabalega wrote:

That was 40 years ago. What relevance has that got with Russia 2018?
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Dammy wrote:

Subs
Aiyenugba
Alampasu
Abdullahi
Idowu
Awaziem
Omeruo
Onazi
Etebo
Iwobi
Iheanacho
Awoniyi/Osimhen/Kayode

Standby
Ezenwa
Aina
Agbo
Ogu
Ajagun
Awoniyi/Osimhen/Kayode

Yep, However, you look at it, a playmaker is key to playing well. We all have our different footballing philosophies but for me, having a man who can playmake is simply a must.

I have tagged my brand of soccer Palmwine Football. It is a mix between Brazilian Samba and Dutch Total Football but it is based on pace, athleticism and turning defence into attack within seconds. Without a playmaker who can deliver kliller passes, it simply will not work.

How I wish we had JJ at our disposal now. If Nwakali cannot do the job, then Abdul Ajagun has to step up to the plate. Let us entertain the world. Spain have given us Tika Taka, Brazil have given us Samba and Holland, to use a Ruud Guillet phrase have given us "sexy football."
I hate to burst your bubble, but you'd better start preparing yourself for a huge disappointment. Nwakili is not going to the 2018 WC. He should look forward to the 2022 edition.
I am happy
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Dammy wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Dammy wrote:

Subs
Aiyenugba
Alampasu
Abdullahi
Idowu
Awaziem
Omeruo
Onazi
Etebo
Iwobi
Iheanacho
Awoniyi/Osimhen/Kayode

Standby
Ezenwa
Aina
Agbo
Ogu
Ajagun
Awoniyi/Osimhen/Kayode

I hate to burst your bubble, but you'd better start preparing yourself for a huge disappointment. Nwakili is not going to the 2018 WC. He should look forward to the 2022 edition.
For arguments sake, let us assume you are right, I would like to see another playmaker in the role. Other than Nwakali, the only other two candidates I can think of are Abdul Ajagun and Alex Iwobi. Can you think of anyone else?

If Nwakali does not come through on time, it exposes a major fundamental problem with our player development. By the World Cup, Iwobi will be 20 officially. At that age, he should be ready to go. By 2022, he will be 24 officially, now that, is not the time to start your international career as by that age, he should have about 30 caps to his name.

If you look at most other playmakers, at the last World Cup, Neymar was 21, Christian Ericson made his debut for Denmark at the age of 18 and Luca Modric made his full international debut for Croatia on 1 March 2006 in a friendly match against Argentina in Basel, at the age of 21. Our own Okocha too made his debut at the age of 19 against ivory Coast.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

If Ayo is giving props to Rinus Michels and LVG for their gorgeous brand of football, pls include Johannes Bonfrere and the Atlanta squad into your kudos record. The football played by Nigeria during that tournament took the world's breath away! :thumb:

I swear if Gernot Rohr and this current crop repeats that 1996 overall attacking brand (which I believe this squad is more than capable of), the world will shake to its foundations. That 2nd half demolition job of Argentina confirmed that potential.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: is better than :atc: :atc: :atc: over the silliness of the thread.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Goldleaf wrote:If Ayo is giving props to Rinus Michels and LVG for their gorgeous brand of football, pls include Johannes Bonfrere and the Atlanta squad into your kudos record. The football played by Nigeria during that tournament took the world's breath away! :thumb:

I swear if Gernot Rohr and this current crop repeats that 1996 overall attacking brand (which I believe this squad is more than capable of), the world will shake to its foundations. That 2nd half demolition job of Argentina confirmed that potential.
You are right but the Olympics is still a youth tournament. Our achievements in Atlanta will never be fully appreciated because it was an U23 tournament.

We need to repeat that feat at the senior level to get the required kudos. This team is getting there but we are only three quarters of the way there.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

What about the 1978 Challenge cup?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Kabalega wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

What are you on about?
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

Ayo,

Playmaker this, playmaker that! It shows you know very little about Nigerian football. Since time Imo River, our playmakers have been/are the wingers.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

How quickly we forget France '98. We won with style and we played with panache...

We were also bundled out of the tournament in grand style.

Style is nice. Style is preferred. But what matters at the end of the day is winning.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Gadfly wrote:Ayo,

Playmaker this, playmaker that! It shows you know very little about Nigerian football. Since time Imo River, our playmakers have been/are the wingers.
Very ignorant thing to say when we have produced the likes of:
Alloysius Atuegbu
Godwin Iwelumo
Sheffiu Mohammed
Dahiru Sadi
Henry Nwosu
Sam Okwaraji
Austin Okocha
Wilson Oruma
Nosa Igiebor
Sunday Mba

This debate is redundant anyway as in 2017 no one talking about playing with wingers. There was no need to derail the debate just because you had nothing to contribute to it!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

mystic wrote:How quickly we forget France '98. We won with style and we played with panache...

Style is nice. Style is preferred. But what matters at the end of the day is winning.
I disagree. Uruguay have won the World Cup twice and England once. Ask yourself why no one respects them or accords them the same respect as Spain or Holland who have not even won it before.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
mystic wrote:How quickly we forget France '98. We won with style and we played with panache...

I disagree. Uruguay have won the World Cup twice and England once. Ask yourself why no one respects them or accords them the same respect as Spain or Holland who have not even won it before.
:???: :???: :???:
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

What are you on about?
You saw the 1978 Challenge cup so I asked whether you saw the bigger African Nation's Cup?
I didn't see the tournament but I have seen clips here and there.

I just want an honest anecdotal account of the tournament.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

ukwala wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

:???: :???: :???:
Have the Netherlands ever won the World Cup before? Some of you are just impossible.

It is clear many of you just think football is just about turning up and winning. It involves a lot of tactical planning and discipline.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

He should own a soccer academy and leave the winning to those interested.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Don't be silly. Neither team has won in the modern era. That's why they aren't spoken of in the same breath as Spain.

Italy are among the teams that everyone respects. Do they play beautiful football? They are respected because they play winning football.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

mystic wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Don't be silly. Neither team has won in the modern era. That's why they aren't spoken of in the same breath as Spain.

Italy are among the teams that everyone respects. Do they play beautiful football? They are respected because they play winning football.

Italy has provided the World with some of the most entertaining players ever. Alesandro Del Piero and Roberto Baggio are two of the skilful footballers I have ever seen. At Italia 90, Baggio scored a goal after beating six players with a run that started from the halfway line.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Ayo, in all the years you have yearned opaks on CE, you have never figured out what it takes to be a champion?

FYI, it is the journey not the crowning that is the sweetest.
So winning is one thing, but how you get there is more important.

You should have figured this out by now too, from Africa's age cheating World Cups at youth level.
See Naija is finally beating Argentina with legit youngsters dominating the team (albeit with many oyibos whose stated ages can be trusted).

The best coaches remind their players to "live in the moment." Take it one game at a time. Work hard in training and leave it all in the arena come game time. No regrets!

If you lose, well, at least you gave it your best shot.

If I were coaching Iwobi, I would tell the lad to work hard in training and have fun come game time. You know, let him play like he is a little boy -which he is- but within the team structure because the team comes first.