NFF SEC: Egypt Among 3 Friendlies for Abuja......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
NFF SEC: Egypt Among 3 Friendlies for Abuja......

Post by Enugu II »

Super Eagles consider Abuja friendly against World Cup-bound Egypt – NFF
http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/12/14/s ... egypt-nff/
By admin - December 14, 2017, 7:17 am252 0
Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter

World Cup qualifying action Nigeria vs Cameroon in Uyo
Nigeria are considering a friendly in Abuja against fellow Russia 2018 qualifiers Egypt before the World Cup in June, officials have disclosed.

The secretary general of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Mohammed Sanusi, said two other friendlies are also being considered.

He said although no final decision has been reached, the three friendly matches would be played in Abuja before the World Cup to be hosted by Russia in June.

He said, “We’re looking at three countries. We want to play in Abuja. We haven’t finalised, but Egypt is one of them.”

Sanusi has already spoken about a high-profile against England in June, while Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has disclosed his team will face another Russia 2018-bound team Poland on March 23.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NFF SEC: Egypt Among 3 Friendlies for Abuja......

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Why Egypt and why Abuja?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Eaglezbeak wrote:Why Egypt and why Abuja?
Rohr believes the team should have an official send off game at home in Nigeria (either in Uyo or Abuja) before the world cup. I'm guessing Egypt because not too many European teams are willing to travel down to Abuja in preparation for a tournament holding in Russia.
Last edited by niyi on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

I was thinking that we should consider Morocco. Since they are supposedly very good defensively... Never watched them play, but if they play defensively, they could possibly be a good test for Iceland?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Only one friendly will be in Abuja. All the others will be in Europe where the team will be camped in the run-up to the World Cup.

I will work on the assumption that Mohammed Sanusi was misquoted. Our schedule is looking something like this:

March 23: Poland in Warsaw
March 27: Serbia in London

June 1: England in London
June 6: Another friendly in London
June 10: Egypt in Abuja
June 14: A final game in Russia before the tournament
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

What kind of madness would make nff schedule 6 games before World Cup and 4 games in the same month as World Cup. Do you want the players to suffer from injury?
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

john12 wrote:What kind of madness would make nff schedule 6 games before World Cup and 4 games in the same month as World Cup. Do you want the players to suffer from injury?
Please stop asking. ITK Ayo, said it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Only one friendly will be in Abuja. All the others will be in Europe where the team will be camped in the run-up to the World Cup.

I will work on the assumption that Mohammed Sanusi was misquoted. Our schedule is looking something like this:

Wow, thats a lot of traveling...I guess that would help them in Russia
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

john12 wrote:What kind of madness would make nff schedule 6 games before World Cup and 4 games in the same month as World Cup. Do you want the players to suffer from injury?

That is standard procedure. Every other team is doing it. For me, the only match I consider not really necessary is the one in Abuja, which is just for the fans.

What Westerhoff did was camp the team in Europe and play friendlies there. If you look at every other team, they will all camp away from home to avoid distractions.
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

ANC wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Only one friendly will be in Abuja. All the others will be in Europe where the team will be camped in the run-up to the World Cup.

3 games in June should be fine. Anything more will burn out the team before opening game. Am cool with 2 games in March
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

walesvilla wrote:
ANC wrote:

3 games in June should be fine. Anything more will burn out the team before opening game. Am cool with 2 games in March

I agree. Rohr should be persuaded to drop his idea of a send-off match in Abuja. Nobody really needs it.

Distractions like this can be costly at times. This is a classic case of a European coach believing that he has to placate the fans, not knowing that in Africa all the fans care about is the team doing well.

We are not like Germany and England where the team has to be sent off in style posing for a picture on the steps of a plane of their national carrier in sharp suits. Our team should camp in Europe in June and proceed to Russia from there. Going back to Nigeria serves no useful purpose whatsoever.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Ayo, you seem to have connections, please hook us up with some recent games involving iceland and croatia
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

ANC wrote:Ayo, you seem to have connections, please hook us up with some recent games involving iceland and croatia
Iceland and Croatia were in the same World Cup qualification group:

They also played each other in a play-off in 2013:

Make no mistake about it, they know each other very well.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

fullgame not highlights
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

ANC wrote:fullgame not highlights

Google no dey your machine?
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Stick to 4 friendlies ....
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Benedict Iroha wrote:Stick to 4 friendlies ....

I can see them playing five as one will be needed in Russia as a final tune-up.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Assuming Ayo is correct with the dates he listed, why are we playing a friendly match on "June 14", when we have a world cup opener two days later? Will our boys (men) not be tired?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Odas wrote:

Assuming Ayo is correct with the dates he listed, why are we playing a friendly match on "June 14", when we have a world cup opener two days later? Will our boys (men) not be tired?
Those dates are not caste in stone. The NFF is still negotiating dates, terms, venues and opponents
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Odas wrote:

Those dates are not caste in stone. The NFF is still negotiating dates, terms, venues and opponents
I see! Thx!!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Nothing wrong with playing a friendly in Abuja before the world cup. During Westerhof's era I remember we played a friendly in Lagos against Ghana right before the 94 nations cup and another against Georgia in Lagos right before the world cup.
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
walesvilla wrote:
ANC wrote:

I agree. Rohr should be persuaded to drop his idea of a send-off match in Abuja. Nobody really needs it.

Distractions like this can be costly at times. This is a classic case of a European coach believing that he has to placate the fans, not knowing that in Africa all the fans care about is the team doing well.

We are not like Germany and England where the team has to be sent off in style posing for a picture on the steps of a plane of their national carrier in sharp suits. Our team should camp in Europe in June and proceed to Russia from there. Going back to Nigeria serves no useful purpose whatsoever.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

I don't think that Sanusi was misquoted. Rather, the writer misunderstood him. Read the quote again. Egypt is one of three countries being considered for the Abuja friendly.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Please, Ayo isn't an insider