Can we Revisit 2002 and 2014 World Cup

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

john12
Egg
Egg
Can we Revisit 2002 and 2014 World Cup

Post by john12 »

how Did
1, shola ameobi
2, Uche nwafor
3, uchebo
4, Ramon azeez
5, Babatunde micheal
6, Gabriel reuben
7, kunle odunlami
How did all these players mysteriously got a call up to our World Cup team? Let’s be clear, they weren’t exceptional at that period, nor better than their experienced precedent players. So, the question is How did they get in? This is why people are skeptical and worried about nowadays call up for mysterious newer inexperienced players. We have witnessed repeated nonsense ad-infinitum and are tired of consistent bribery and corruption.

Let’s revisit 2002 how did

1, justice christopher
2, James obiora
3, Femi opabunmi
4, pius ikedia
5, ogbeche
6, agwuegbu
7, Eric ejiofor
8, afolabi
How did all these inexperienced/unexceptional players receive a World Cup call up at the expense of oruma, oliseh, finidi, Babangida, Agali, aiyebeni??? Once again, another fraudulent call-up happened right in front of us. How did it happen??? We no no.

My point is that we shouldn’t be deceived by “inexperienced flash in the pan” players that would impress you leading to World Cup only to be oblivious at the World Cup. We shouldn’t be advocating for players that hasn’t shown consistency or are quite unknown. This time we can’t repeat same mistakes as 2002 and 2014. The coach decision should be respected and he shouldn’t be criticized for sticking to the same familiar players that qualified us for the World Cup. Let’s be clear, we have tried to integrate newer players at the World Cup twice in the past and Failed at both instances. insanity is doing the same thing ad-infinitum and expecting a different result.
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg
Re: Can we Revisit 2002 and 2014 World Cup

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Shola Ameobi who turned Nigeria down so many times ...Eagles should learn not call up players that are not committed ala Boateng type players who use the World cup to get new contracts.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

There has to be a law stipulating refusals of players that previous rejected Nigeria in their prime. That shola own pain me well
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

2002 and 2014 cannot be compared to 2018.

To try and do so shows an extreme ignorance of football or the current situation.

2002 we dropped experienced players because we lost to Senegal in the ANC semifinals. Nigerians in their arrogance thought it our birthright to beat a very good Senegal team so we disbanded our team for younger nobodies when we failed to do so. A case of extreme over reaction.

2014 Keshi was just trying to make money so he took a good starting 11 and a bunch of junk players he could market.

2018 we have the deepest player pool Nigeria has perhaps ever had and there are many legitimate options, unlike 2002 and 2014 who have boy yet even been tried. The core of the team is set, however there is certainly room to upgrade at least 5 players in the overall squad.

I know u represent Ahmed Musa, but he is not good enough for SE period. This is not 2014. SE has moved on, Musa remains stagnant or has even regressed.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Wow! This is a great topic. Because of respect to the dearly departed I’ll refrain from passing blame or judgement on this issue. However, I think we’ve passed that stage with Rohr. Unless a player gets into the Barca,Real or Bayern first team and is banging goals on the regular they’ll be no flash in the pan in Russia.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

It is no coincidence that the squads mentioned were picked by local coaches. It is not a simple case of coaches being bribed but rather succumbing to pressure. The local coach's return the favour of those who helped them to get the job e.g. influential former colleagues, agents, media, NFF and Sports Ministry staff etc. We have a scenario where former SE players like Eguavoen and Mutiu have been campaigning for certain players to be included in the WC squad. The difference is that a foreign coach is immune from all these pressure.'
I am happy
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Exactly, that’s why I don’t want rohr to succumb to any pressure of inviting inexperienced unexceptional players. He should use his trusted confidant to continue and build a strong team
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Even in Ahmed Musa lowest career club point at super eagles he has scored 2 goals and 2 assists this year all from the bench. How Can I possibly represent musa when he has been playing for SE even before my appearance on cyber eagles.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Many of these players weren't even good enough to be the "flash in the pan” type. While we shouldnt succumb to inviting every Tom, d#$% and Harry we should look for exceptional players. We should give them chances and incorporate them if they are good enough.

It's a bit unfair to compare Onyekuru to Nwofor or Uchebo. None of these guys got any close to being top scorers in a top 8 European league at 18/19 years old.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

This topic highlights why Nigerians have to be vigilant. There has been a clamor for certain players by influential figures in Nigerian football which reveals their unpatriotic traits. Why would Eguavoen, a former SE captain and coach make a plea for the inclusion of Qatar based Michael Babatunde or Mutiu Adepoju do the same for Obafemi Martins? These are all coming out in the open because they have been unable to penetrate Rohr and the SE. In the past, all these would have been done because they had unlimited access to the SE. Using 2014, as an example, the SE was handled by Keshi, Amokachi and Shorounmu. their former colleagues and friends. It would have been easier to get their players into the SE behind the scene. A website, ScoreNigeria seems to be dedicated to the campaign for these players and it makes you wonder if we are all pulling in the same direction for the SE. ScoreNigeria has clamored for the inclusion of Okwuosa, Sunday Stephen, Michael Babatunde etc among many other below average players. Why would anyone want Okwuosa, a CD, with Chippa United in South Africa, who could not make it at Orlando Pirates and had to return to Chippa Utd, to be included in the WC party? or Sunday Stephen, whose best days are behind him to be taken to the WC? It is obvious the people behind this website do not have Nigeria's best interest at heart. As if looking for an opportunity to derail the SE plans fo the WC, because their pleas have fallen on deaf ears, they want to use the Shehu Abdullahi fiasco to get the NFF sacked. They have been strident in their calls o the Federal Government to open up an inquiry into the incident and sanction the NFF. Nigeria's WC plans do not need that distraction but hey do no care. We are lucky to have a coach that has the NFF behind him and I do not see the 2002 and 2014 scenarios happening again in 2018 despite the best efforts of internal enemies.
I am happy
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

john12 wrote:how Did
1, shola ameobi
2, Uche nwafor
3, uchebo
4, Ramon azeez
5, Babatunde micheal
6, Gabriel reuben
7, kunle odunlami
How did all these players mysteriously got a call up to our World Cup team? Let’s be clear, they weren’t exceptional at that period, nor better than their experienced precedent players. So, the question is How did they get in? This is why people are skeptical and worried about nowadays call up for mysterious newer inexperienced players. We have witnessed repeated nonsense ad-infinitum and are tired of consistent bribery and corruption.

1, justice christopher
2, James obiora
3, Femi opabunmi
4, pius ikedia
5, ogbeche
6, agwuegbu
7, Eric ejiofor
8, afolabi
How did all these inexperienced/unexceptional players receive a World Cup call up at the expense of oruma, oliseh, finidi, Babangida, Agali, aiyebeni??? Once again, another fraudulent call-up happened right in front of us. How did it happen??? We no no.

My point is that we shouldn’t be deceived by “inexperienced flash in the pan” players that would impress you leading to World Cup only to be oblivious at the World Cup. We shouldn’t be advocating for players that hasn’t shown consistency or are quite unknown. This time we can’t repeat same mistakes as 2002 and 2014. The coach decision should be respected and he shouldn’t be criticized for sticking to the same familiar players that qualified us for the World Cup. Let’s be clear, we have tried to integrate newer players at the World Cup twice in the past and Failed at both instances. insanity is doing the same thing ad-infinitum and expecting a different result.

Stop disrespecting Ikedia, he was one of the reason we qualified for the World Cup. We need to hear Sudan 4-0 in their country, I still remember the solo Ikedia did, he dribble about 4 players and scored the fourth goal. Remember Okocha doing atilogo somersault. 2002 team wasn’t actually bad maybe inexperienced; sometimes experience is overrated being the people that were supposed to provide experience were useless, common veron took Kanu...the team was built around Kanu and Okocha, Adepoju had no business in that team, he could have told Onigbide to drop him, a junk(at that time) player called Taribo had the gut to called his fellow team mates junk players.....maybe Opabunmi. Justice was good, injury killed. Ike also killed us with his inability to kick the ball out. All in all team wasn’t bad.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

eyan wrote:
1, shola ameobi
2, Uche nwafor
3, uchebo
4, Ramon azeez
5, Babatunde micheal
6, Gabriel reuben
7, kunle odunlami

1, justice christopher
2, James obiora
3, Femi opabunmi
4, pius ikedia
5, ogbeche
6, agwuegbu
7, Eric ejiofor
8, afolabi

Stop disrespecting Ikedia, he was one of the reason we qualified for the World Cup. We need to hear Sudan 4-0 in their country, I still remember the solo Ikedia did, he dribble about 4 players and scored the fourth goal. Remember Okocha doing atilogo somersault. 2002 team wasn’t actually bad maybe inexperienced; sometimes experience is overrated being the people that were supposed to provide experience were useless, common veron took Kanu...the team was built around Kanu and Okocha, Adepoju had no business in that team, he could have told Onigbide to drop him, a junk(at that time) player called Taribo had the gut to called his fellow team mates junk players.....maybe Opabunmi. Justice was good, injury killed. Ike also killed us with his inability to kick the ball out. All in all team wasn’t bad.
Ikedia did not play against Sudan in Omdurman.
I am happy
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

john12 wrote:Even in Ahmed Musa lowest career club point at super eagles he has scored 2 goals and 2 assists this year all from the bench. How Can I possibly represent musa when he has been playing for SE even before my appearance on cyber eagles.
I think he is just pointing out to you what I tried to do last week - and that is you can't just be accusing people of being agents because their choices make no sense to you.
I don't believe you are an agent for Musa, but many could be forgiven for thinking that you are, just like you think others are agents for pushing players you do not agree with.

You might believe your accusations are totally justified, but it is subjective and all in the mind.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Dammy wrote:It is no coincidence that the squads mentioned were picked by local coaches. It is not a simple case of coaches being bribed but rather succumbing to pressure. The local coach's return the favour of those who helped them to get the job e.g. influential former colleagues, agents, media, NFF and Sports Ministry staff etc. We have a scenario where former SE players like Eguavoen and Mutiu have been campaigning for certain players to be included in the WC squad. The difference is that a foreign coach is immune from all these pressure.'
Thank you!

It is more of them succumbing to pressure and not necessarily bribe-taking or inducement.

Just take a look at this site for example, if you advocate for a player you are automatically tagged an agent. Now, imagine a local coach choosing a player he prefers over another player, he will first be tagged with tribalism and if that doesn't stick, they will say he took money.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cellular wrote:
Dammy wrote:It is no coincidence that the squads mentioned were picked by local coaches. It is not a simple case of coaches being bribed but rather succumbing to pressure. The local coach's return the favour of those who helped them to get the job e.g. influential former colleagues, agents, media, NFF and Sports Ministry staff etc. We have a scenario where former SE players like Eguavoen and Mutiu have been campaigning for certain players to be included in the WC squad. The difference is that a foreign coach is immune from all these pressure.'
Thank you!

It is more of them succumbing to pressure and not necessarily bribe-taking or inducement.

Just take a look at this site for example, if you advocate for a player you are automatically tagged an agent. Now, imagine a local coach choosing a player he prefers over another player, he will first be tagged with tribalism and if that doesn't stick, they will say he took money.
I think its probably the other way round.
Nigerians can sell their mama for money.
I think politics has shown us that money trumps ethnicity all day, every day.

I don't even know whether that is a good thing or a bad thing. :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

For me, the players who sweated through the qualifiers must get first consideration. Only if a position is feeble AND the new player is giving the incumbent(s) a run for the money should he be given a chance in the coming friendlies...the other issue is consistency, it's one thing to do a byclcle flip to earn a World Cup place, it's another to consistently perform to stake your place in the team
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

1, shola ameobi
2, Uche nwafor
3, uchebo
4, Ramon azeez
5, Babatunde micheal
6, Gabriel reuben
7, kunle odunlami
Ramon Azeez was a starter in a La Liga club, so that was a justifiable callup. For one thing he should have come on for Onazi in the France game. Likely he would have done better than Reuben.
Kunle Odunlami was a question of lack of options. We didn't have defenders playing in Europe that we could choose from. Who exactly would you have taken to the World Cup ahead of him?
Also it has to be said 2014 was a low point as for Nigerians playing first team football in top leagues or performing well in secondary leagues.

But despite this lack of depth the selection of Ameobi, Nwofor, Uchebo, Reuben and to a lesser extent Babatunde was inexcusable. For one thing the missed opportunity was that Keshi could have even taken some young prospects like Ndidi or Iheanacho, if there really were no options. Iheanacho was on fire then and could have been a secret weapon.

And those players you mentioned are nothing like the discourse we are having now.
Henry Onyekuru is the only Nigerian top scorer in a notable European league and he's at the top of the table again this season.
Even Fanendo Adi that was mentioned lately is no one season wonder in the States. He's consistently scored for years now.
If you look at the credentials of the 2002 and 2014 players and compare them to what who we are looking into right now the difference in class is all too great.

What is worrying right now is that some of our greatest talents are wasting away on bench duties: Kelechi Iheanacho, Isaac Success, Kelechi Nwakali, Victor Osimhen and yes even Ahmed Musa.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

I'm not a fan of Musa, but I have to admit that he has been playing well for Nigeria lately. He doesn't look like a headless chicken on the pitch anymore. A player will have to come in and play great in the upcoming friendlies to displace him.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

You list all these players you think were not good enough by automatically assuming we had better available replacements.

Just listing a player you think was not good enough to make the team is incomplete. For each player you also need to list an alternative player who you thought was better at that time, was available (i.e. not injured), and played the same position as this player, let's analyse it.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Dammy wrote:
eyan wrote:
1, shola ameobi
2, Uche nwafor
3, uchebo
4, Ramon azeez
5, Babatunde micheal
6, Gabriel reuben
7, kunle odunlami

1, justice christopher
2, James obiora
3, Femi opabunmi
4, pius ikedia
5, ogbeche
6, agwuegbu
7, Eric ejiofor
8, afolabi

Ikedia did not play against Sudan in Omdurman.
You are correct. It wasn't Ikedia that scored that goal, it was Yakubu.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Orion I didn’t list the alternatives because that was irrelevant. The ones I listed weren’t part of 2014 wcq nor where they exceptional or playing at a big club at that time. The alternatives was to use trusted players whom qualified us for he World Cup. No way Ramon azeez deserves to attend World Cup aged of Nosa, Joel Obi, Raheem lawal or even Sunday mba.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Pius Ikedia was a good player. He singlehandely qualified our useless U23 team for the 2000 olympics. Dude was qiuck and had an eye for goal but Amodu never gave him an invite despite the team at the time lacking pace. I had no problem with his inclusion as i think Tijani got waaay to comfortable in that position. James Obiorah aslo was very good. He was top scorer in Russia at the time. could play as an AM or foward. Again he like ikedia should have been integrated into the team long before 2002 but Amodu kept inviting the same old players in a team that was clearly aging.

As for the rest, yea they were trash especially Afolabi. How he made 2 wc squads is beyound me.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Bret Hart stop talking nonsense. Ikedia was a fast headless chicken winger he wasn’t better than tijani babangida nor Experienced Finidi George. Dude didn’t deserve to go to World Cup ages of those 2. As for obiora James, the likes of Oruma, Agali and prime Aiyebeni should had taken his place