Super Eagles' Russia 2018 and Video Review System

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

doctorollie
Egg
Egg
Super Eagles' Russia 2018 and Video Review System

Post by doctorollie »

FIFA has decided to adopt the VRS in Russia. I think this bodes well for our dear SE.

Reviewing our performances in previous WC, one can easily conclude that we have been shortchanged by some ridiculous decisions and actions that mitigated our progress. Such decisions could have been reversed if the VRS had been used.

SE plays clean and fair 90% of the time so one can be excited that the VRS will only enhance our chances.

What do you think?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Super Eagles' Russia 2018 and Video Review System

Post by Enugu II »

doctorollie wrote:FIFA has decided to adopt the VRS in Russia. I think this bodes well for our dear SE.

Reviewing our performances in previous WC, one can easily conclude that we have been shortchanged by some ridiculous decisions and actions that mitigated our progress. Such decisions could have been reversed if the VRS had been used.

SE plays clean and fair 90% of the time so one can be excited that the VRS will only enhance our chances.

What do you think?

I feel the same way. Of course, as a fan.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I agree, Nigeria plays fairer than most teams in the world, when it comes to ON THE PITCH antics.

As far as off the pitch, I will not comment. But on the pitch, we are saints and have been hard done by in Africa and in the World.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Tbite wrote:I agree, Nigeria plays fairer than most teams in the world, when it comes to ON THE PITCH antics.

As far as off the pitch, I will not comment. But on the pitch, we are saints and have been hard done by in Africa and in the World.
Antics maybe.

Argentinians would say otherwise when it comes to fouling.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

At least, if the likes of Matuidi now tries to break Onazi's ankle, he will be given the red card because the ref will be forced to check on VRS.
All those ref who cannot deal with the success of countries outside the traditional powers to break through, now have their work cut out.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Goldleaf wrote:At least, if the likes of Matuidi now tries to break Onazi's ankle, he will be given the red card because the ref will be forced to check on VRS.
All those ref who cannot deal with the success of countries outside the traditional powers to break through, now have their work cut out.
KPOM.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

It is very badly needed in the World Cup :!:

Cheers.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

doctorollie wrote:FIFA has decided to adopt the VRS in Russia. I think this bodes well for our dear SE.

What do you think?
I thought the video assistance is automatically going to be used in Russia? Anyway, I think it is needed and we will probably benefit for it. I used the word "probably", because it is still up to the referee to make the final decision, which means the referee can review the video and still decide crap.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

They still used the vid system to send a cameroonian off during the confed cup even though it was a yellow card at best.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

What do you think?
I am happy beyond description! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I cannot wait for some real, drama free ... football! :thumbs: :thumbs:

but wait o, where is the link to the news?

Wha choo looking at?!
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

This is good, not just for the SE, but for football in general. If players know they'll likely get caught by Video Review, they'll tone down on the antics and just focus on playing, which will be great.

I should add that even though we tend to play clean and have mostly been on the wrong end of antics and wrong decisions, we've done our own bit of gamesmanship, although we're not very good at it (thankfully), and it often comes back to bite us in the behind.

A good example was Eguavoen rolling all over the floor when Zola barely touched him in 94 (the intention was there, but actual contact was zero to minimal). Zola got sent off, but it also meant the ref was reluctant to send off a much more important Maldini for a foul on a goal bound Yekini. It also deepened the Italian resolve to come back and win the game (although many will also point to Demetrio Albertini's hit job on our dangermen).