Southgate deserves credit for learning from Bobby Robson

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Southgate deserves credit for learning from Bobby Robson

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

(1) It is unfortunate that no one is giving England manager Gareth Southgate the credit he deserves
(2) In the past, England managers, media and fans have arrogantly assumed that they just have to turn up and are automatically one of the World Cup favourites
(3) This time around, Southgate has brought everyone down to earth, making it clear that the team is not good enough and he needs to rebuild it
(4) Southgate said after the World Cup draw that they would not want to regard the tournament as a throw-away one but he made it clear that aspiring to winning it was not a realistic option
(5) Now Southgate secures draws against Brazil and Germany, the world’s top two teams. I do not think he had received enough credit for stifling both of them
(6) He actually did it with a young and experimental team making it more impressive
(7) For me, Southgate is taking a leaf from the book of Bobby Robson who rebuilt his team for the 1990 World Cup after a disastrous Euro 1988
(8) After losing all three group games in Euro 88, Robson introduced the sweeper system and brought in several key new players
(9) Paul Parker, Stuart Pearce, Des Walker, Paul Gascoigne, David Platt and Terry Butcher (returning from injury), were all brought into the Italy 90 England starting line-up to great effect. It is no surprise they got tovtre semi final and only got eliminated on penalties
(10) I can see Southgate doing well in Russia because of hay humility. Who is prepared to bet on a Nigeria vs England final?
goldenera94
Egg
Egg
Re: Southgate deserves credit for learning from Bobby Robson

Post by goldenera94 »

Interesting piece.
Goldenera94
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

We should give him credit for telling the truth. England is still useless even with Draws against Brazil and Germany at wembley. They have an easy group but could very well trip up against Tunisia. No better than a 2nd rd team.
OCCUPY NFF!!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

goldenera94 wrote:Interesting piece.
What piece the usual 10 pointers?
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Let's see how England perform in a real competition situation... Interestingly, not only have they been draw is a relatively easy group but the order of fixtures is also in their favour. A quarter final berth is realistic. Anything short of that and Southgate will be forced to walk the plank
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

What I like about Southgate is the way he is holding his hands up, admitting his team is not good enough and looking for replacements. That is exactly what Bobby Robson did in 1990 and got to the World Cup semi finals.

I love the fact that Gernot Rohr has adopted a similar stance. He appears to have finally accepted that the following players who played on the qualifiers are not good enough:

Daniel Akpeyi
Ikechukwu Ezenwa
Uwua Echiejile
Ahmed Musa
Simon Moses
Mikel Agu
John Ogu
Ogene Etebo

It is why he is looking at replacements. Like Robson did on 1990, Rohr must be brave enough to drop big names like Hoddle and bring in kids like Gascoigne if that is what is required.
solo
Egg
Egg

Post by solo »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:What I like about Southgate is the way he is holding his hands up, admitting his team is not good enough and looking for replacements. That is exactly what Bobby Robson did in 1990 and got to the World Cup semi finals.

I love the fact that Gernot Rohr has adopted a similar stance. He appears to have finally accepted that the following players who played on the qualifiers are not good enough:

Daniel Akpeyi
Ikechukwu Ezenwa
Uwua Echiejile
Ahmed Musa
Simon Moses
Mikel Agu
John Ogu
Ogene Etebo

It is why he is looking at replacements. Like Robson did on 1990, Rohr must be brave enough to drop big names like Hoddle and bring in kids like Gascoigne if that is what is required.
funkfunk
Egg
Egg

Post by funkfunk »

Not even Hoddle is deluded enough to think he can get into this Super Eagles side. However, Gascoigne is a different matter, I look forward to seeing him partnering Mikel in that midfield!!!
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

England - Nigeria final. No chance. Well of course there is a possibility, but that's slimmer Anny Rexia with Bulimia.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Mr Shows wrote:Let's see how England perform in a real competition situation... Interestingly, not only have they been draw is a relatively easy group but the order of fixtures is also in their favour. A quarter final berth is realistic. Anything short of that and Southgate will be forced to walk the plank
England’s FA have already extended Southgate’s contract beyond the World Cup. They have realised that they need continuity if the rebuilding process is to continue. Not all movement is progress!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:(1) It is unfortunate that no one is giving England manager Gareth Southgate the credit he deserves
(2) In the past, England managers, media and fans have arrogantly assumed that they just have to turn up and are automatically one of the World Cup favourites
(3) This time around, Southgate has brought everyone down to earth, making it clear that the team is not good enough and he needs to rebuild it
(4) Southgate said after the World Cup draw that they would not want to regard the tournament as a throw-away one but he made it clear that aspiring to winning it was not a realistic option
(5) Now Southgate secures draws against Brazil and Germany, the world’s top two teams. I do not think he had received enough credit for stifling both of them
(6) He actually did it with a young and experimental team making it more impressive
(7) For me, Southgate is taking a leaf from the book of Bobby Robson who rebuilt his team for the 1990 World Cup after a disastrous Euro 1988
(8) After losing all three group games in Euro 88, Robson introduced the sweeper system and brought in several key new players
(9) Paul Parker, Stuart Pearce, Des Walker, Paul Gascoigne, David Platt and Terry Butcher (returning from injury), were all brought into the Italy 90 England starting line-up to great effect. It is no surprise they got tovtre semi final and only got eliminated on penalties
(10) I can see Southgate doing well in Russia because of hay humility. Who is prepared to bet on a Nigeria vs England final?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

:bump:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:(1) It is unfortunate that no one is giving England manager Gareth Southgate the credit he deserves

so to summarize your 10 points, "oyinbo na oyinbo"....
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:Let's see how England perform in a real competition situation... Interestingly, not only have they been draw is a relatively easy group but the order of fixtures is also in their favour. A quarter final berth is realistic. Anything short of that and Southgate will be forced to walk the plank
England’s FA have already extended Southgate’s contract beyond the World Cup. They have realised that they need continuity if the rebuilding process is to continue. Not all movement is progress!
If England don't make it out of a group that their entire nation already think is a stroll in the park, then frankly it does not matter what is on that contract extension... It will be fish and chips paper the morning after.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Mr Shows wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
If England don't make it out of a group that their entire nation already think is a stroll in the park, then frankly it does not matter what is on that contract extension... It will be fish and chips paper the morning after.
In 1988, England lost all three games at Euro 88. However, they left Bobby Robson in place and two years later, he got to the semi finals of the World Cup.

For me, that is thew way to go. Continuity for me is something that is key. We learnt that lesson from Clemence Westerhoff. His five years was good for us, as it gave us time to build.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
In 1988, England lost all three games at Euro 88. However, they left Bobby Robson in place and two years later, he got to the semi finals of the World Cup.

For me, that is thew way to go. Continuity for me is something that is key. We learnt that lesson from Clemence Westerhoff. His five years was good for us, as it gave us time to build.
In this day and age, don't think the fans are that patient...BR was on 6 game no loss, in the run up to that tournament, thrashing Turkey 8-0 at Wembley along the way. Anyway, there is a good case for continuity but the modern game has a higher propensity for immediate gratification. Time will tell.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Mr Shows wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

In this day and age, don't think the fans are that patient...BR was on 6 game no loss, in the run up to that tournament, thrashing Turkey 8-0 at Wembley along the way. Anyway, there is a good case for continuity but the modern game has a higher propensity for immediate gratification. Time will tell.
I believe England have learnt the folly of short-termism!