Mikel Interview!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Mikel Interview!

Post by The YeyeMan »

Enugu II wrote:Yeyeman,

There are numerous. I am aware that some have already mentioned a few games but I believe has had outstanding games a lot. Hard for me to pick one game to be honest. He has been consistent. It is easier to pick one for likes of a player who plays one good game once in a while, much easier.
So numerous that you can't name any. Let's leave that there as you couldn't answer that one. :D
Enugu II wrote:JJ was not a better passer of the ball, IMO. JJ is Nigeria's best midfielder ever, IMHO, but in passing he takes a back seat to Mikel. I do not recall JJ making accurate long passes like Pirlo. In fact, the first time I watched Mikel's games was in 2005 WYC and I saw him make those long passes. At first, I thought he was just hoofing the ball until I realized that he was consistently finding a team mate. No one before him was even close making such a long pass except Oliseh. JJ was not that with such passes.
Oga, please delete this before people see it. Once you've done so, I'll follow suit and delete your quote from my post. Okocha could pass over long range with either foot, kai!
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

JJ fans done derail this thread. Predictable.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The YeyeMan wrote:

There are numerous. I am aware that some have already mentioned a few games but I believe has had outstanding games a lot. Hard for me to pick one game to be honest. He has been consistent. It is easier to pick one for likes of a player who plays one good game once in a while, much easier.
So numerous that you can't name any. Let's leave that there as you couldn't answer that one. :D
Enugu II wrote:JJ was not a better passer of the ball, IMO. JJ is Nigeria's best midfielder ever, IMHO, but in passing he takes a back seat to Mikel. I do not recall JJ making accurate long passes like Pirlo. In fact, the first time I watched Mikel's games was in 2005 WYC and I saw him make those long passes. At first, I thought he was just hoofing the ball until I realized that he was consistently finding a team mate. No one before him was even close making such a long pass except Oliseh. JJ was not that with such passes.
Oga, please delete this before people see it. Once you've done so, I'll follow suit and delete your quote from my post. Okocha could pass over long range with either foot, kai!
Yeyeman,

You get mouth ooo! However, I hope say na joke you dey joke oo. I am a JJ fan but bros I know where Mikel does better than JJ and vice versa.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Yeyeman,

You get mouth ooo! However, I hope say na joke you dey joke oo. I am a JJ fan but bros I know where Mikel does better than JJ and vice versa.
Blasphemy!!!!!! Uncle abeg even Mikel no go gree!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

green4life wrote:JJ fans done derail this thread. Predictable.
JJ vs Mikel in passing, which one abeg!?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

maceo4 wrote:
In terms of technical skill, JJ was better but in terms of overall accuracy, range, effectiveness and consistency of passing, no doubt its Mikel. To succeed at Chelsea in an environment where your performance is analyzed after every game and where nothing but wining silverware counts as success takes a skilled professional performing consistently at a top level. JJ was very inconsistent compared to Mikel so how was he a better passer? I’m assuming that we’re not talking about a Hollywood pass here or there but getting it done consistently at the top level. Go and watch all of Mikel’s big games for u20, Chelsea, Olympic, Confederation Cup and SE as a whole in consideration of end result or objective and tell me that Mikel was not better overall and more purposeful in passing.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Enugu II wrote: Yeyeman,

JJ was not a better passer of the ball, IMO. JJ is Nigeria's best midfielder ever, IMHO, but in passing he takes a back seat to Mikel. I do not recall JJ making accurate long passes like Pirlo. In fact, the first time I watched Mikel's games was in 2005 WYC and I saw him make those long passes. At first, I thought he was just hoofing the ball until I realized that he was consistently finding a team mate. No one before him was even close making such a long pass except Oliseh. JJ was not that with such passes.
If you were picking a SE squad with both players in their prime, would you pick JJ over Mikel?
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

platinum wrote:
Enugu II wrote: Yeyeman,

JJ was not a better passer of the ball, IMO. JJ is Nigeria's best midfielder ever, IMHO, but in passing he takes a back seat to Mikel. I do not recall JJ making accurate long passes like Pirlo. In fact, the first time I watched Mikel's games was in 2005 WYC and I saw him make those long passes. At first, I thought he was just hoofing the ball until I realized that he was consistently finding a team mate. No one before him was even close making such a long pass except Oliseh. JJ was not that with such passes.
If you were picking a SE squad with both players in their prime, would you pick JJ over Mikel?
I will pick Mikel every time because all he cares about is wining and will do whatever the coach tells him to do to help his team win. Whether he shines or not is not his problem. JJ on the other hand was the opposite of Mikel in almost every way. I like entertainment but I prefer wining.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

If you want a match winner then you choose JJ over Mikel. Simple.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

green4life wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
In terms of technical skill, JJ was better but in terms of overall accuracy, range, effectiveness and consistency of passing, no doubt its Mikel. To succeed at Chelsea in an environment where your performance is analyzed after every game and where nothing but wining silverware counts as success takes a skilled professional performing consistently at a top level. JJ was very inconsistent compared to Mikel so how was he a better passer? I’m assuming that we’re not talking about a Hollywood pass here or there but getting it done consistently at the top level. Go and watch all of Mikel’s big games for u20, Chelsea, Olympic, Confederation Cup and SE as a whole in consideration of end result or objective and tell me that Mikel was not better overall and more purposeful in passing.
Can we factor in their respective roles one a DM whose instructed to kept it simple, while JJ was an old school no. 10 who could carve a team open with his short and long range passing. Of course JJ would be less accurate given the type of passes he was on the field to make. There are passes JJ could give that Mikel wouldn't even conceive to do, while on the other hand JJ could do all those short to mid range passes at a high accuracy level if that was the role he was put on the field to play.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

maceo4 wrote:
green4life wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Can we factor in their respective roles one a DM whose instructed to kept it simple, while JJ was an old school no. 10 who could carve a team open with his short and long range passing. Of course JJ would be less accurate given the type of passes he was on the field to make. There are passes JJ could give that Mikel wouldn't even conceive to do, while on the other hand JJ could do all those short to mid range passes at a high accuracy level if that was the role he was put on the field to play.
Was Mikel playing DM for the SEs when they won the title in 2013? Otherwise, I agree that if you want a match winner to win the odd game en route to nothing of significance, JJ is your man. But if you want a player who will be purposeful in his overall performance and also encourage others around him to pull together towards the same goal, Mikel is your man. The choice is clear for me.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

green4life wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
green4life wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Was Mikel playing DM for the SEs when they won the title in 2013? Otherwise, I agree that if you want a match winner to win the odd game en route to nothing of significance, JJ is your man. But if you want a player who will be purposeful in his overall performance and also encourage others around him to pull together towards the same goal, Mikel is your man. The choice is clear for me.
I was speaking specifically about passing. But yea I do agree Mikel is more of a team player whose discipline can help a team win things. I think they could have played well together with Mikel deeper and a better more complete version of Oliseh covering behind.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

The YeyeMan wrote:If you want a match winner then you choose JJ over Mikel. Simple.
The counter to that is...Mikel has won Nigeria an ANC (being arguably the most influential part of the campaign). He has taken Nigeria to several World Cups and been influential.
What about JJ?

Mikel did all that with some of the least talented SE sides ever. JJ, for most of his career, played alongside most of the very best Nigeria ever had.

Right?
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

As a pass master, creating chances for the attack - JJ lacks behind Mikel IMO..

If you talking about playmaking via individual brilliance (dribble your way to go or bullala shot) then JJ for sure.

Enugu Ii, you stats man. Do you have any assist or chances created stats for Mikel vs. JJ?
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......

64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

analyzer wrote:As a pass master, creating chances for the attack - JJ lacks behind Mikel IMO..

If you talking about playmaking via individual brilliance (dribble your way to go or bullala shot) then JJ for sure.

Enugu Ii, you stats man. Do you have any assist or chances created stats for Mikel vs. JJ?
Wondering where Mikel is ranked on this list with all his defense splitting passes and assists: https://m.guardian.ng/sport/okocha-rank ... l-players/
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

analyzer wrote:As a pass master, creating chances for the attack - JJ lacks behind Mikel IMO..

Analyzer,

Unfortunately, I do not have those stats because my collection of assists data does not cover JJ's career. I hope to go back and get that done but I do not have those now.

Your thoughts about the two are exactly my thoughts. The reality if I had to choose one that I will pay to watch it will be JJ but as for passing, no matter the range, I will give it to Mikel without batting an eyelid. JJ was mercurial but also inconsistent and he turned over the ball far more than Mikel.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Mikel Obi compared to the most skillful African player of all times? You guys are jokers! Football isn’t just about silverware
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

platinum wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:If you want a match winner then you choose JJ over Mikel. Simple.
The counter to that is...Mikel has won Nigeria an ANC (being arguably the most influential part of the campaign). He has taken Nigeria to several World Cups and been influential.
What about JJ?

Mikel did all that with some of the least talented SE sides ever. JJ, for most of his career, played alongside most of the very best Nigeria ever had.

Right?
JJ also won an ANC with Nigeria and has taken Nigeria to several World Cups. Btw, Mikel has only attended one World Cup where he was largely anonymous so I'd strongly disagree with your claim he's been influential there,

Also Nigeria always qualified for ANCs during JJ's era. Not the case during Mikel's era.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Chelsea had a special coach in Roberto DiMatteo and they let him just slip away for nothing.
So sad..... :atc:
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Jj and Mikel together, will be a dream midfield..we are blessed ..
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

The YeyeMan wrote:
platinum wrote:
What about JJ?

Right?
JJ also won an ANC with Nigeria and has taken Nigeria to several World Cups. Btw, Mikel has only attended one World Cup where he was largely anonymous so I'd strongly disagree with your claim he's been influential there,

Also Nigeria always qualified for ANCs during JJ's era. Not the case during Mikel's era.
What role did JJ play in Nigeria winning that ANC? Was he the key like JMO was in 13?
Nigeria always qualified during the JJ years but wasn't that a superbly gifted squad most years?

In 2014, Mikel wasn't as good as he could/should have been but Okocha had one superb world cup...98, it is no surprise that was probably Nigeria's most underachieving WC showing as it was all JJ and no one else in two games, the other two games he was a passenger. :tic:

Mikel will have a superb 2018 Mundial. I think if all things pan out, he will cement his place firmly as Nigeria's greatest ever midfielder and kill this debate once and for all.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

platinum wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
platinum wrote:
What about JJ?

Right?

What role did JJ play in Nigeria winning that ANC?
Nigeria always qualified during the JJ years but wasn't that a superbly gifted squad most years?

In 2014, Mikel wasn't as good as he could/should have been but Okocha had one superb world cup...98, it is no surprise that was probably Nigeria's most underachieving WC showing as it was all JJ and no one else in two games, the other two games he was a passenger. :tic:

Mikel will have a superb 2018 Mundial. I think if all things pan out, he will cement his place firmly as Nigeria's greatest ever midfielder and kill this debate once and for all.
Nah did you see all our post 2002 ANC teams? You can't be for real, you forgot the NFF disbanded the team after 2002 ANC so 2004, 2006 were actually crappy team that relied heavily on JJ to carry us with free kicks, corners, assists goals etc. The auto ANC qualification stopped after JJ and Kanu retired. JJ had to play with the likes of Olofufu and Prince Ekong in midfield. Compare that to Onazi and even Mba.

And stop making it seem like Mikel carried us to ANC 2013 victory, that couldn't be further from the truth. We struggled to make it out of the group stages with Mikel missing a PK, then Moses took over the PKs and won and scored two vs Ethiopia to help us scrape through to the next round. Then Emenike and Mba gave us victory against CIV, paving the way for the run to our victory with Mba again the hero in the final. Mikel played well in a CM/DM position giving us balance and chipping in with a couple of assists, but he wasn't our lynchpin player he played within himself and within the team structure to very good effect.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

maceo4 wrote:
platinum wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
platinum wrote:
What about JJ?

Right?

What role did JJ play in Nigeria winning that ANC?

Nah did you see all our post 2002 ANC teams? You can't be for real, you forgot the NFF disbanded the team after 2002 ANC so 2004, 2006 were actually crappy team that relied heavily on JJ to carry us with free kicks, corners, assists goals etc. The auto ANC qualification stopped after JJ and Kanu retired. JJ had to play with the likes of Olofufu and Prince Ekong in midfield. Compare that to Onazi and even Mba.

And stop making it seem like Mikel carried us to ANC 2013 victory, that couldn't be further from the truth. We struggled to make it out of the group stages with Mikel missing a PK, then Moses took over the PKs and won and scored two vs Ethiopia to help us scrape through to the next round. Then Emenike and Mba gave us victory against CIV, paving the way for the run to our victory with Mba again the hero in the final. Mikel played well in a CM/DM position giving us balance and chipping in with a couple of assists, but he wasn't our lynchpin player he played within himself and within the team structure to very good effect.

04 had kanu, utaka, agali, yak, etc. 06 had even better with taiwo, martins and others sprinkled in. And those were not tournament wins.

Mikel and Moses carried that 13 side. The formula was simple. Defense wins ball, get it to mikel, who passed deep to Emenike/Ideye or got it to VM on the wings. Without Mikel, there's no 2013 ANC. He played within the structure of the team, yes....but that's why it's a TEAM sport. The 98 WC saw Okocha voted in the team of tournament, he was a super star, alas that was a team with no structure, little wonder caning was always just round the corner.

Mikel will always have the failure to qualify for ANCs following him around but he had worse teams than JJ. In a time when Nigeria suffered a dip in available talent, Mikel was probably the one constant bright spot.

Playing within a team structure to good effect should NEVER be a demerit. This is exactly why many flash players will NEVEr make it in Europe today. You think Germany and Spain created what they did with players who couldn't function within the confines of a structure? You think Pep's sides have not done same? Stop it.