Of all our players in Europe only Ndidi is improving

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Of all our players in Europe only Ndidi is improving

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

(1) Who else is bothered about the current form of our players across Europe?
(2) Most of our boys appear to either be going through a rough patch right now or have simply refused to light up the place. Just look at the form of say Hazard, De Bryne, Sterling, Wilshire, Salah, Coutinho, Kane, Son, Matic, Pogba, etc to get my point
(3) In goal, Uzoho has not made the Deportivo number one jersey his
(4) I was expecting Tyrone Ebuehi to have been so hot by now that all the major clubs would be after him
(5) There is a desperate search on for quality centre backs but no one is mentioning Awaziem, Balogun, Omeruo or Ekong. When central defenders are going for £75m, no one appears willing to even pay £5m for any of them
(6) Joel Obi is not back to his best form
(7) I do not see any mad rush to recall our boys in China like Mikel and Ighalo. See how Barcelona went to snap up Paulinho from Chima and revived his career
(8) Our Premiership regulars like Moses, Iwobi and Iheanacho are creating a lot of concern at the moment. Moses, our great hope had a stinker of a game last night
(9) Our bright youngsters like Onyekuru, Nwakali, Ajagun, Olanrewaju, Osimhen, Awoniyi, etc have not really shone through. Compare them with say Dele Alli, Marcus Rashford, Jessie Lingard, Anthony Martial, Harry Winks, etc
(10) I hope this is just a blip but for now, Ndidi is the only bright star shinning!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Of all our players in Europe only Ndidi is improving

Post by Tbite »

I have stopped losing sleep over them. Let them do as they please.

Modern day footballers are so spoiled! There are some people (myself included) who would have gladly played professional football for free! Heck some footballers might even have paid to play the game.

but these lot, money is the only thing in their brains. Let them enjoy their earnings. If they stink up the joint, I won't lose any sleep. But if they turn up like Ndidi, then I will pay attention. But I am done wasting my time on spoiled millionaires.

And then they will start telling us that they are doing us a favour, abeg. Remember that time Nsofor was running his mouth.

And then when they end up as free agents or chasing clubs in Greece and the third division, they will be crying. Wetin consign me. The success gets into their heads.

God bless you Ndidi.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Wow, talk about exaggeration!

Yes, I am concerned about how some of our players are developing. But the blanket statement is ricidulous.

Ndidi stands out because he's so good at the moment he could well start for any team in the world.

But:
a) Uzoho is obviously progressing. He had a shot at two La Liga starts by luck, because there was no other keeper the team could turn to. Uzoho impressed, took his chance and went back to the development squad when the first team goalkeepers returned. So his progress has not stopped, we just can't expect a Nigerian GK to suddenly explode in Europe. Europe still struggles with accepting African goalkeepers.
b) Ebeuhi is hot. So he's obviously progressing. But I'm sorry to say he's not elite talent and never was.
c) Shehu reached the peak of what he could do on Cyprus. Now needs a move to truly shine.
d) Two players you failed to mention are Sarenzeen Bazee and Okwonkwo, who are both wowing whenever they get a chance to play.
e) How can you say Awaziem is not progressing? At 20 he's a first choice defender and Nantes just offered 13 mln EUR to buy him permanently and Porto don't want to sell!
f) Obi is used sparingly because of his injury history, but he continues to impress when played. Its pretty obvious the coach doesn't want him playing too often, but not for footballing reasons.
g) Onyekuru has not shone through? He was top goalscorer in the league before his injury. Was purchased by a reknowned EPL team. He's being watched by all the big teams. What else can one expect? You compete with what you can.
h) Moses Simon has truly improved his game lately. But he needs a move, because he can't progress any further in Belgium.

The rest is worrying, but you're obviously talking loads of crap.
Last edited by marutimon on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

There are three players that are progressing very nicely: Ndidi, Awaziem, Onyekuru.

A lot of others are making progress.

But there is still a lot to be worried about.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

It’s Jan 4th and Ayo aleady has 8 pointless threads. By June 10the he will have 326 pointless threads at this rate. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Okochadman2Nas
Egg
Egg

Post by Okochadman2Nas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:It’s Jan 4th and Ayo aleady has 8 pointless threads. By June 10the he will have 326 pointless threads at this rate. :laugh:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

marutimon wrote:Wow, talk about exaggeration!

Yes, I am concerned about how some of our players are developing. But the blanket statement is ricidulous.

Ndidi stands out because he's so good at the moment he could well start for any team in the world.

But:
a) Uzoho is obviously progressing. He had a shot at two La Liga starts by luck, because there was no other keeper the team could turn to. Uzoho impressed, took his chance and went back to the development squad when the first team goalkeepers returned. So his progress has not stopped, we just can't expect a Nigerian GK to suddenly explode in Europe. Europe still struggles with accepting African goalkeepers.
b) Ebeuhi is hot. So he's obviously progressing. But I'm sorry to say he's not elite talent and never was.
c) Shehu reached the peak of what he could do on Cyprus. Now needs a move to truly shine.
d) Two players you failed to mention are Sarenzeen Bazee and Okwonkwo, who are both wowing whenever they get a chance to play.
e) How can you say Awaziem is not progressing? At 20 he's a first choice defender and Nantes just offered 13 mln EUR to buy him permanently and Porto don't want to sell!
f) Obi is used sparingly because of his injury history, but he continues to impress when played. Its pretty obvious the coach doesn't want him playing too often, but not for footballing reasons.
g) Onyekuru has not shone through? He was top goalscorer in the league before his injury. Was purchased by a reknowned EPL team. He's being watched by all the big teams. What else can one expect? You compete with what you can.
h) Moses Simon has truly improved his game lately. But he needs a move, because he can't progress any further in Belgium.

Chief Marutimon: You stated your points in a very - CLEAN and RESPECTFUL way - in my opinion. However, in your last paragraph as I have highlighted, is your choice of words necessary? Would it not have been better to NOT say those words? What meaning (respect at least) does it add to the very well written points you have presented in disagreement to Chief Ayo's position?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I would feel a lot more comfortable if the following were happening right now:

[1] One of the other struggling sides in La Liga takes Francis Uzoho on loan until the end of the season
[2] A mid table French side puts in a bid for Tyronne Ebuehi
[3] A team like say Southampton, Spurs, Newcastle or West Ham put in a bid for Chigozie Awaziem for say £10m
[4] A Champions League side like say Bayern Munich or Roma put in a bid for Mikel Obi
[5] A mid table Premiership side like say Everton put in a bid for Odion Ighalo
[6] Wilfred Ndidi becomes the subject of a bidding war between two over-hyped top clubs like say Arsenal and Liverpool. Both teams have serious defensive problems, especially in front of the back four
[7] Chelsea suddenly start using Victor Moses in his natural position again. I guess for this to happen, they would need to abandon their 3-5-2 formation
[8] Henry Onyekuru miraculously recovers and is recalled by his parent club Everton
[9] A struggling Premiership team like say West Brom, Crystal Palace, Swansea or Bournemouth make a bid for Abdul Ajagun
[10] William Ekong makes a return to England joining a team like say Huddersfield or Burnley on loan until the end of the season
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Tbite wrote:I have stopped losing sleep over them. Let them do as they please.

Modern day footballers are so spoiled! There are some people (myself included) who would have gladly played professional football for free! Heck some footballers might even have paid to play the game.

but these lot, money is the only thing in their brains. Let them enjoy their earnings. If they stink up the joint, I won't lose any sleep. But if they turn up like Ndidi, then I will pay attention. But I am done wasting my time on spoiled millionaires.

And then they will start telling us that they are doing us a favour, abeg. Remember that time Nsofor was running his mouth.

And then when they end up as free agents or chasing clubs in Greece and the third division, they will be crying. Wetin consign me. The success gets into their heads.

God bless you Ndidi.
Do you guys really think all footballers are lazy and don't work to improve their game? Do you guys realize what it takes to be a pro footballer player at all? I am sure that 99% of you complainers do not have what it takes to do what even some of the worst players do...trust me.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Ayo, your negative energy is intoxicating..Get a detox, you can do with some positive energy that can spur you to more balanced analysis, its early days in 2018 yet... Good thing you are not coach otherwise you will surrender to Iceland
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

airwolex wrote:
Tbite wrote:I have stopped losing sleep over them. Let them do as they please.

God bless you Ndidi.
Do you guys really think all footballers are lazy and don't work to improve their game? Do you guys realize what it takes to be a pro footballer player at all? I am sure that 99% of you complainers do not have what it takes to do what even some of the worst players do...trust me.
A lot of them don't have their heads screwed on right. Even those that succeed. Overindulging, getting unfit, partying excessively, turning up late to training. Most professionals I see week in, week out are predictable as they come. And among those that fit the billing, you never hear of their exceptional exploits training. And yes you also see it on the pitch!

I'm not saying it is easy, but it is their livelihood and they get paid handsomely for it. If they can't go above and beyond, I will not lose any sleep over them. When you look at the work ethic of athletes like Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Cristiano Ronaldo etc. Players that maximize their chances. Then I have seen some footballers that cannot even stay in shape.

I don't know their circumstance, so I said let them do as they please. But natural selection will deal a blow to those that do not put their all into the game. There is no shortage of players that have ruined their careers by what I have stated. If they want to go in that direction, wetin consign me.

Now I can say this as an opinion without it being reflected back on me, but when I played football I put 300% on the pitch. I don't work that hard doing anything else, but on the pitch I ALWAYS put in 300%, so for me personally, I have no respect for lazy footballers. You might find the example laughable or nonsensical, given the differences in professionalism. but this is my standpoint nonetheless. If you can't put in 300% into football, I will never pity your circumstance. For some of us, it is something that we love.

Perhaps these guys are like Nick Kyrgios or Assou Ekotto, i.e. athletes who do not love what they do, but simply the money., and if that is the reason why they can't put in 300%, then all the more reason why I will not lose sleep over them. If you don't love football, football will leave you. And it happens to even the GREATEST of talents.
Last edited by Tbite on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

I'
Odas wrote:
marutimon wrote:Wow, talk about exaggeration!

But:

Chief Marutimon: You stated your points in a very - CLEAN and RESPECTFUL way - in my opinion. However, in your last paragraph as I have highlighted, is your choice of words necessary? Would it not have been better to NOT say those words? What meaning (respect at least) does it add to the very well written points you have presented in disagreement to Chief Ayo's position?
I understand I went overboard there. But Akinfe keeps on downgradid and attacking and his negativity is just tiresome.
There is a difference between being realistic and just plain negative. And Ayo has crossed that line.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

[quote="Ayo Akinfe"]
[2] A mid table French side puts in a bid for Tyronne Ebuehi
[3] A team like say Southampton, Spurs, Newcastle or West Ham put in a bid for Chigozie Awaziem for say £10m
[6] Wilfred Ndidi becomes the subject of a bidding war between two over-hyped top clubs like say Arsenal and Liverpool. Both teams have serious defensive problems, especially in front of the back four
[8] Henry Onyekuru miraculously recovers and is recalled by his parent club Everton

[2] Ebuehi
Championship not good enough?
https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_n ... ?nid=26037
[3] Awaziem
10 million? Nantes put in a bid of 13 and Porto refused.
[5] Ndidi
I would much prefer he stays where he is and continues to develop. Big clubs will come in summer.
[8] Onyekuru
Everton would love to bring him in. But they can't.

Besides - its best that players like Ndidi, Ebuehi, Awaziem, Moses to continue playing and not to have them thrown into another club mid-season. If they are playing regularly and developing they need to stay where they are.

The rest - would be great.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

If a player cannot improve over a space of 5 years, and you stress over that player, you get time.

If a player struggles over 1,2,3 years fine. But if he shows no improvement in 5-10 years, abeg there is no way that player is putting in work. NO WAY!

Someone like Moses Simon, may not have improved as much as we would have liked, but he made some improvement, good.

Isaac Success, zero improvement since Granada...pfft. That is an example of a clear sign that a player is not putting in work, shayoing everywhere. It's been 3 years since Granada. Bobo is getting close to stale.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Some of our players are making gradual improvements:

Awazeim is about 21 and is featuring prominently for Nantes. He has even had some team of the week performances this season.
Simon's final ball has improved since he first played for the SE.
Troost-Ekong is looking more composed on the ball and went from being in and out of the line up at Gent to starting every week in one of the better teams in Turkey.
Uzoho became the youngest goalie to start in La liga, and is slowing progressing in the lower division.

We may not have as many players in big clubs like we did in the 90s, but some of them are improving. The truth is at the moment we have several good players, but the only player in our squad that I can truly call world class is possibly Moses. Ndidi and Iwobi have potential to be world class, but we will see what happens.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

If we (and I mean the players) can keep things in relative control, we'll be fine. Our most likely risks are:

-Moses losing his starting shirt to Zapacosta
-Iwobi not getting any run outs at arsenal (being in and out of the starting lineup is fine, but not getting any runs will rob us of an important outlet)
-Iheanacho not getting any playing time.
-Leon Balogun not getting playing time.

If these can be prevented, barring major injuries, we'll be as good as we can be in Russia. Its too late for transformational events. Moses Simon is not going to be transformed in 6 months. Neither is Ebuehi. So what we need to do is guard against losing what we already have. We do that, and many of us should be happy with the WC. I don't think Ndidi is any better than he was this time last year - a very very good player - and I don't expect him to be transformed in 6 months.
Last edited by deanotito on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

olu wrote:Some of our players are making gradual improvements:

Awazeim is about 21 and is featuring prominently for Nantes. He has even had some team of the week performances this season.
Simon's final ball has improved since he first played for the SE.
Troost-Ekong is looking more composed on the ball and went from being in and out of the line up at Gent to starting every week in one of the better teams in Turkey.
Uzoho became the youngest goalie to start in La liga, and is slowing progressing in the lower division.

We may not have as many players in big clubs like we did in the 90s, but some of them are improving. The truth is at the moment we have several good players, but the only player in our squad that I can truly call world class is possibly Moses. Ndidi and Iwobi have potential to be world class, but we will see what happens.
Would be good to have a player like Awaziem in the squad, but I've now watched the argentina game several times, and his mistakes were plenty. He lacked composure. So I'm happy he doesn't appear to be a starter for us at the current time.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Aminu Umar has been voted into the Turkish mid season Team of the year and Turkish giants, Fernabache and Besiktas want to sign him. Anderson Esiti has also been included in the Belgian league's mid season Team of the year and has Olympique Marseilles chasing him. Tyrone Ebuehi has also been voted the best RB in the first half of the Dutch Eredivisie. So it is wrong to assume that our players are not progressing.
I am happy
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Dammy wrote:Aminu Umar has been voted into the Turkish mid season Team of the year and Turkish giants, Fernabache and Besiktas want to sign him. Anderson Esiti has also been included in the Belgian league's mid season Team of the year and has Olympique Marseilles chasing him. Tyrone Ebuehi has also been voted the best RB in the first half of the Dutch Eredivisie. So it is wrong to assume that our players are not progressing.

Everything is relative. You have set the bar way too low.

Have you been watching players like:

Son Heung-min
Mohamed Salah
Raheem Sterling
Andreas Christensen

Now, that is what I call improvement!
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Not to knock our players, but the truth is at the moment we don't have any players as good as Sterling or Salah.
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Dammy wrote:Aminu Umar has been voted into the Turkish mid season Team of the year and Turkish giants, Fernabache and Besiktas want to sign him. Anderson Esiti has also been included in the Belgian league's mid season Team of the year and has Olympique Marseilles chasing him. Tyrone Ebuehi has also been voted the best RB in the first half of the Dutch Eredivisie. So it is wrong to assume that our players are not progressing.

Son Heung-min
Mohamed Salah
Raheem Sterling
Andreas Christensen

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

olu wrote:Not to knock our players, but the truth is at the moment we don't have any players as good as Sterling or Salah.
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Son Heung-min
Mohamed Salah
Raheem Sterling
Andreas Christensen

A year or two years ago, Kelechi Iheanacho and Alex Iwobi were considered better than both Salah and Sterling but look at what has happened. Some of our players need to look themselves in the mirror and ask what they are doing wrong.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

The truth is Nigeria, and indeed Africa has never produced a plethora of talented players except maybe in the mid 90's. There are a wide variety of reasons for this, mostly stemming from a lack of grassroots strategy and cutting corners (age cheating for example).

There's absolutely no proof that Nigerian players are lazy, lack ambition or have a bad work ethic. If they were they'd stay in the Country like East and South African players; instead they take a long hard route playing in back water leagues for years hoping for a break.

How many of you for example can go to Poland, Croatia, Ukraine, Israel as young men and play in leagues like that? How many of you guys have the mental character to do what Kayode did and play in CIV, Israel and Austria before finally ending in La Liga. Do you really think someone like that ends up in Girona and suddenly becomes lazy or distracted? Have you guys any idea what Emenike did to be a successful footballer?

Before you can get to be a Belgium, and have players like Hazard, Lukaku, De Bryne, Vertonghen, you really need to have a plan and enforce it with laser precision. We are precisely were we should be with the way the NFF runs our football....be thankful that we can even make WC's regularly.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

airwolex wrote:The truth is Nigeria, and indeed Africa has never produced a plethora of talented players except maybe in the mid 90's. There are a wide variety of reasons for this, mostly stemming from a lack of grassroots strategy and cutting corners (age cheating for example).

There's absolutely no proof that Nigerian players are lazy, lack ambition or have a bad work ethic. If they were they'd stay in the Country like East and South African players; instead they take a long hard route playing in back water leagues for years hoping for a break.

How many of you for example can go to Poland, Croatia, Ukraine, Israel as young men and play in leagues like that? How many of you guys have the mental character to do what Kayode did and play in CIV, Israel and Austria before finally ending in La Liga. Do you really think someone like that ends up in Girona and suddenly becomes lazy or distracted? Have you guys any idea what Emenike did to be a successful footballer?

Before you can get to be a Belgium, and have players like Hazard, Lukaku, De Bryne, Vertonghen, you really need to have a plan and enforce it with laser precision. We are precisely were we should be with the way the NFF runs our football....be thankful that we can even make WC's regularly.
Part of the problem is that by the time many of our players get to play in major leagues, they are way past their best. When you get to play in La Liga, the Premiership or Serie A at the age of 32, clearly, you are not going to be in your prime.

Even those who join in their mid 20s find it hard to change bad habits. In contrast, European and South American players come through at the age of around 18,allowing them time to develop.