George Weah Becomes PRESIDENT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: George Weah Becomes PRESIDENT

Post by pajimoh »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:At the very least, I would expect Weah to have had a policy document that reads like this:

(1) We will end open cast diamond mining on Liberia to preserve the environment and end the trade in blood diamonds

(2) Liberia will sign 10 year technology transfer deals with Australian mining companies to train our youth

(3) All child soldiers and ex militants will be given free education up to university level under a UN-sponsored programme

(4) We will ask UNESCO to fund free training and education for all women in Liberia

(5) We will ask the G8 to invest 1% of its FDI in Liberia to help develop its rubber, cocoa, palm oil, coconut, cashew and banana industries

(6) 10-year tax holidays will be given to all agro-allied companies investing in Liberia

(7) All Ecowas investors will be given free housing, tax holidays and security to encourage them to open facilities in Liberia

(8) Given the relationship between the US and Liberia, we will push for Washington to allow us retail all our cash crops into their market

(9) We will push for a Monrovia to Calabar railway line to open up Liberia to the Ecowas market

(10) 50% of all political appointments in Liberia will go to women to eliminate the terrible scourge of female illiteracy and poverty
So you have a 10 pointer on how to manage Liberia as well? :shock: You should recognize you're delusional. You think you're expert at everything including policies. I don tire for your matter :tic:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

pajimoh wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:At the very least, I would expect Weah to have had a policy document that reads like this:

(1) We will end open cast diamond mining on Liberia to preserve the environment and end the trade in blood diamonds

(2) Liberia will sign 10 year technology transfer deals with Australian mining companies to train our youth

(3) All child soldiers and ex militants will be given free education up to university level under a UN-sponsored programme

(4) We will ask UNESCO to fund free training and education for all women in Liberia

(5) We will ask the G8 to invest 1% of its FDI in Liberia to help develop its rubber, cocoa, palm oil, coconut, cashew and banana industries

(6) 10-year tax holidays will be given to all agro-allied companies investing in Liberia

(7) All Ecowas investors will be given free housing, tax holidays and security to encourage them to open facilities in Liberia

(8) Given the relationship between the US and Liberia, we will push for Washington to allow us retail all our cash crops into their market

(9) We will push for a Monrovia to Calabar railway line to open up Liberia to the Ecowas market

(10) 50% of all political appointments in Liberia will go to women to eliminate the terrible scourge of female illiteracy and poverty
So you have a 10 pointer on how to manage Liberia as well? :shock: You should recognize you're delusional. You think you're expert at everything including policies. I don tire for your matter :tic:

:lol:
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Goodluck to Weah. Naija has had plenty of PHD and Doctors as Presidents and Governors and they have done exactly nothing. Let's hope Weah will lead Liberia well.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Congrats to George Weah. He beat the establishment. A fighter like Trump. I wish him the best of luck. Anybody wishing him ill luck should just delete because at this point of the century I pray for all african leaders to just do the right thing. Doing the right thing does not require a higher education.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Here is my take on the impact of George Weah's victory:

https://www.aclsports.com/8076-2/
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

This is the type of thinking Liberia needs:

(1) She produces 100,000 tonnes of bananas
(2) Let us say for arguments sake that this generates $500m in exports earnings for Liberia
(3) Let us work on the assumption that banana production employs 200,000 Liberians
(4) Now, President Weah should have a programme to increase production to 500,000 tonnes, boost revenue to $2bn and raise the number of Liberians working in the sector to 500,000
(6) To boost earnings, he will need to get exports into key markets in Europe, China and America
(7) To do this, he will need a husbandry programme to guarantee the quality of produce and to ensure aflatoxin levels are within global limits. This will need key training of smallholders
(8) It will involve getting a major global player like Fyffes to open up shop in the country. They will need tax breaks, a stream of skilled labour, access to raw materials and transport links to their key markets
(9) If President Weah is negotiating with such companies, he must tell them why they should open a facility in Liberia and not any other Ecowas nation. What can he offer them which no one else can?
(10) Over the long term, this programme should also involve the establishment of a university of agriculture, food processing and the manufacturing of equipment.

As you can see, moving a country forward requires lateral thinking. A good heart is not enough!
Mister Dolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mister Dolly »

For once I have to agree with Ayo on this. I have a close family friend who was recruited from the USA years ago by the outgoing President to head the Liberian Ports Authority. She was the one who really opened my eyes recently to the shenanigans the female President got up to and how out of his depth Weah is but also acknowledged he would probably win die to Sirlef's sabotage of her former deputy's candidacy.

Opong Weah ran as a populist candidate. Let's hope he surrounds himself with bright minds and truly take the country forward. Good luck to him and the Liberian people.
Ayo Akinfe wrote:This is actually a worrying development. I have listened to Weah during the campaigns and he is way out of his depth here. He has no idea about the issues. His candidacy is based on populism and has no intellectual substance.
"Because of Jesus, it's a glorious life...."
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

http://www.naijiant.com/
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Mister Dolly wrote:For once I have to agree with Ayo on this. I have a close family friend who was recruited from the USA years ago by the outgoing President to head the Liberian Ports Authority. She was the one who really opened my eyes recently to the shenanigans the female President got up to and how out of his depth Weah is but also acknowledged he would probably win die to Sirlef's sabotage of her former deputy's candidacy.

Opong Weah ran as a populist candidate. Let's hope he surrounds himself with bright minds and truly take the country forward. Good luck to him and the Liberian people.
Ayo Akinfe wrote:This is actually a worrying development. I have listened to Weah during the campaigns and he is way out of his depth here. He has no idea about the issues. His candidacy is based on populism and has no intellectual substance.

MD, the underlined will be what counts. He doesn't have to be a genius in education or public speaking. Some of the most powerful people in the world are people with tremendous EQ and the ability to surround themselves with intelligent LOYAL acolytes. Let's see how Weah plays it.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

I honestly don't know how this will play out.

But Sirleaf-Johnson's cronies needed to be removed from power. They were stealing the country.

For now I still have hope that Weah will populate his government with competent people. I heard a rumour he aims to install Silas Siakor as environmental minister. If that happens it would be a very good sign - his government will be built on credibility, not connections.

BTW The thing they often now call populism is what Scandinavia called social democracy in the XXth century, when countries like Sweden or Finland were just building their wealth and position. Don't allow yourself to be manipulated by neocolonial neoliberal lies.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:This is the type of thinking Liberia needs:

(1) She produces 100,000 tonnes of bananas
(2) Let us say for arguments sake that this generates $500m in exports earnings for Liberia
(3) Let us work on the assumption that banana production employs 200,000 Liberians
(4) Now, President Weah should have a programme to increase production to 500,000 tonnes, boost revenue to $2bn and raise the number of Liberians working in the sector to 500,000
(6) To boost earnings, he will need to get exports into key markets in Europe, China and America
(7) To do this, he will need a husbandry programme to guarantee the quality of produce and to ensure aflatoxin levels are within global limits. This will need key training of smallholders
(8) It will involve getting a major global player like Fyffes to open up shop in the country. They will need tax breaks, a stream of skilled labour, access to raw materials and transport links to their key markets
(9) If President Weah is negotiating with such companies, he must tell them why they should open a facility in Liberia and not any other Ecowas nation. What can he offer them which no one else can?
(10) Over the long term, this programme should also involve the establishment of a university of agriculture, food processing and the manufacturing of equipment.

As you can see, moving a country forward requires lateral thinking. A good heart is not enough!
This is the type of economic illiteracy that has bankrupted many African countries.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Molue Conductor wrote:Didn't he run and lose in 2005 or 2006?
Yes, he did. I hope he will do a very good job and set examples for other African Presidents to follow. I am happy for him :clap: :clap: :clap:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
aykwes8
Egg
Egg

Post by aykwes8 »

I'm not sure if this is good thing. this is Mr. Weah talking
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

A forensic analysis of George Weah’s solo goal against Verona, 21 years on

http://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia ... -21-years/
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

aykwes8 wrote:I'm not sure if this is good thing. this is Mr. Weah talking
Lol, but honestly that’s how Liberians speak, I lived around a community of them and when we played soccer, jeeez they will just be speaking all types of messed up sounding ‘English’ but they all understood each other. But men to be speaking like that on the international stage na real wa, I guess as long as the people that elected him are happy then wetin be our own.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

maceo4 wrote:
Lol, but honestly that’s how Liberians speak, I lived around a community of them and when we played soccer, jeeez they will just be speaking all types of messed up sounding ‘English’ but they all understood each other. But men to be speaking like that on the international stage na real wa, I guess as long as the people that elected him are happy then wetin be our own.
Not to hang up on his English...

I deal with results. If he can develop Liberia's economy that's all I need.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

fabio wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

:clap: :clap:

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

fabio wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Point. Liberians did not elect him to be best speaker of English. In my opinion, how well he speaks English is largely immaterial.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

fabio wrote:
YUJAM wrote:
You haven't listened to the Gambian president then.
You supported him, no?
Anything to get rid of Yahaya :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Economic orthodoxy along "Washington Consensus" diktats is what got Liberia and the rest of Africa in a mess. Weah, as likable and popular as he is, is unlikely to challenge that orthodoxy. So he will either fail or just be a cosmetic improvement on the rulers before him.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Good he lost twice and has served in the senate.. Good experience with his contacts. I pray he succeeds. Congrats Weah.
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

The only african to win world football of the year award...how dumb can he possibly be to kinda figure out how to be president....

As long as he surround himself with straight, patriotic and honest Liberian people he'll be fine.
http://www.melangeGO.com/
A family oriented online fashion store. Offering high quality products at low cost.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

maceo4 wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: