George Weah Becomes PRESIDENT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: George Weah Becomes PRESIDENT

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Prince wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
fabio wrote:
pajimoh wrote:This is why Africa will find it difficult to progress. Anyone thinks they have what it takes to lead a country. Can I count on Weah to articulate Liberia's position or be astute enough to know when he's been manipulated when meeting world leaders?
Oh please...
George Weah is as intellectually lightweight as they come. I really fear for Liberia’s future. Is this a man going to negotiate with the IMF and World Bank? They will run rings round him non stop.
The one that worked in the world bank what did she negotiate

See an agreement she signed with Hillary Clinton:
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Good luck with Liberia and Weah. All I know is Liberia cannot afford to be getting it wrong with the choice of leaders. They need an effective leader not populist leader.

All the money that was pumped into Liberia post war has been terribly misused. Good luck with whoever is chosen to lead
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Weah's lack of education became a campaign issue. He has been highly critical of those who say he is not fit to govern: "With all their education and experience, they have governed this nation for hundreds of years. They have never done anything for the nation."

He initially claimed to have a BA degree in Sports Management from Parkwood University in London, however this is an unaccredited diploma mill which awards certificates without requiring study.[51] Weah then pursued a degree in business administration at DeVry University in Miami.[52][53]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Weah
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
George Weah is as intellectually lightweight as they come. I really fear for Liberia’s future. Is this a man going to negotiate with the IMF and World Bank? They will run rings round him non stop.
Any athlete who makes it to the top of their profession is not an intellectual lightweight.... Intelligent is not limited to academia.

Please give the ball to mama intelligent and ask her to create space or beat a defender or even score a late minute penalty to save the team.

The ability to receive instructions from your coach and apply it on the pitch despite all the pressures is a form of intelligent.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

May wisdom and courage be his guide.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

platinum wrote:May wisdom and courage be his guide.
Amen.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
fabio wrote:
pajimoh wrote:This is why Africa will find it difficult to progress. Anyone thinks they have what it takes to lead a country. Can I count on Weah to articulate Liberia's position or be astute enough to know when he's been manipulated when meeting world leaders?
Oh please...
You're well educated yet it's never stopped you from spewing out absolute garbage about something as simple as football so what are you talking about?!

If Weah has the wisdom to surround himself with bright minds, his 'intellect' won't matter as much as you theorize.

Is there a risk that things will go belly up? Sure but idiots have ruled more powerful kingdoms than Liberia and survived. The world's most powerful nation today has been ruled by absolute dummies in two of it's last three presidencies, at the very worst Liberia will kick Weah out after four years.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

platinum wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
fabio wrote:
Oh please...
You're well educated yet it's never stopped you from spewing out absolute garbage about something as simple as football so what are you talking about?!
Shots fired officer down! Shots fired officer down! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

By the way this is all a bit premature. They are still counting votes even Weah has not claimed victory on his official Twitter account.
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

I wish you the absolute best, George Opong Weah.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Prince wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
fabio wrote:
Oh please...
She at least has an idea of the issues. Weah cannot string two coherent sentneces together:

Look at him trying to talk about the economy:

At least Sirleaf-Johnson can debate the issues:

She did not embarrass Liberia speaking here at Harvard:
ability to debate issues and not embarrass your country while speaking are your criteria for good leadership?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Prince wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
fabio wrote:
Oh please...
She at least has an idea of the issues. Weah cannot string two coherent sentneces together:

ability to debate issues and not embarrass your country while speaking are your criteria for good leadership?
Na so we see am :tic:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Have you ever played any team sport or captained a squad?

There's more to Leadership than "academic" qualifications. Dude for one has A LOT of people with capacity both intellectual and practical application at his disposal. He can lean on a lot of international relationships he has developed over the years should he choose to. He knows how to lead.

He has been working on this for a long time. When CIA/State Department installed Ellen Johnson Sirleaf he already had a plan on what he wanted to do with Liberia.

My disappointment is that many of you commenting here have a bias most Naijarians or even most people have about footballers or jocks... as being daft. Dude is hardly daft... he knows what he doesn't know and seeks counsel. He also knows how to weed out chaff and BS. Moreover, he has the sense of purpose to stand for something and see it through.

My fear for him is that some people will work extra hard to prove (confirm) their bias. Unfortunately, there are lots of Africans who take pride in undermining Africa and Africans.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Being a good president often isn't about being a superb economist, but leading by example and getting the proper people in power to lead. His right hand man is economist prof. McIntosh so likely he will get to lead the economic aspect.

As for Sirleaf-Johnson: don't know what good she did for Liberia apart from selling off the country's prize assets and handing over contracts to her family and closest friend. She was as crony as they come. Its better to take a risk on Weah than to fall back on Sirleaf-Johnson's lapdog.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Chimurenga Rebel wrote:
platinum wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
fabio wrote:
Oh please...
Shots fired officer down! Shots fired officer down! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Ouch... :mrgreen:

I am struggling to see where all the bashing are coming from. If this man sorrounds himself with capable hands, he should be able to govern effectively. At least he is not one to promote himself as better than the generals.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

wanaj0 wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Prince wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
fabio wrote:
Oh please...

Na so we see am :tic:
Ayo the ITK just couldn't resist spreading his peacock feathers. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Cellular wrote:

There's more to Leadership than "academic" qualifications. Dude for one has A LOT of people with capacity both intellectual and practical application at his disposal. He can lean on a lot of international relationships he has developed over the years should he choose to. He knows how to lead.

He has been working on this for a long time. When CIA/State Department installed Ellen Johnson Sirleaf he already had a plan on what he wanted to do with Liberia.

My disappointment is that many of you commenting here have a bias most Naijarians or even most people have about footballers or jocks... as being daft. Dude is hardly daft... he knows what he doesn't know and seeks counsel. He also knows how to weed out chaff and BS. Moreover, he has the sense of purpose to stand for something and see it through.

My fear for him is that some people will work extra hard to prove (confirm) their bias. Unfortunately, there are lots of Africans who take pride in undermining Africa and Africans.
Chief, this is not a fight. If you think playing sport makes him more than capable of running a country and dealing with seasoned politicians across the globe, fine. I just expressed my opinion. I also wish Weah and Liberia good luck.
I will be more than joyfulocious for Weah to prove me totally and utterly wrong cos the opposite helps no one
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

marutimon wrote:Being a good president often isn't about being a superb economist, but leading by example and getting the proper people in power to lead. His right hand man is economist prof. McIntosh so likely he will get to lead the economic aspect.

As for Sirleaf-Johnson: don't know what good she did for Liberia apart from selling off the country's prize assets and handing over contracts to her family and closest friend. She was as crony as they come. Its better to take a risk on Weah than to fall back on Sirleaf-Johnson's lapdog.
Kpom
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

pajimoh wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Chief, this is not a fight. If you think playing sport makes him more than capable of running a country and dealing with seasoned politicians across the globe, fine. I just expressed my opinion. I also wish Weah and Liberia good luck.
I will be more than joyfulocious for Weah to prove me totally and utterly wrong cos the opposite helps no one
You know I can never fight you. I dey craze!

Just that it takes a special skill set to be made captain amongst your equals. Dem no dey dash am to olodos. Also one being able to recognize where one is deficient in and seeks help in addressing it is what makes one a good leader. Dude has never claimed to be a repository of knowledge.

Have an open mind... don't join the bandwagon that betrays their prejudice regarding athletes transitioning to being successful outside of the pitch.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Cellular wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Cellular wrote:

You know I can never fight you. I dey craze!

Just that it takes a special skill set to be made captain amongst your equals. Dem no dey dash am to olodos. Also one being able to recognize where one is deficient in and seeks help in addressing it is what makes one a good leader. Dude has never claimed to be a repository of knowledge.

Have an open mind... don't join the bandwagon that betrays their prejudice regarding athletes transitioning to being successful outside of the pitch.
Lets be honest about this. Weah will not have the professionals and professional attitude and setup that made him a household name in Europe
No matter how he tries to surround himself with good people, one would be extremely naive to think such people are abundantly available in Liberia and they end up ruining the country and have been unable to get it back to some semblance of its past status.
Weah would have to do something so markedly different from almost all the leaders before him and also he has to drag a politically divided nation along. He also has to be at least intelligent enough to know the wise counsel is not a trap with grass covering.
If this was a profession like brain surgery we won't say Weah is qualified but politics, we think anyone can be a politician when in other countries it's actually a curriculum and you can rely on season tacticians and astute thinkers. Politics is about name and face in Africa and that is why we are in such mess in most African countries. The thinkers have been systematically removed and are no longer produced in any telling numbers
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

At the very least, I would expect Weah to have had a policy document that reads like this:

(1) We will end open cast diamond mining on Liberia to preserve the environment and end the trade in blood diamonds

(2) Liberia will sign 10 year technology transfer deals with Australian mining companies to train our youth

(3) All child soldiers and ex militants will be given free education up to university level under a UN-sponsored programme

(4) We will ask UNESCO to fund free training and education for all women in Liberia

(5) We will ask the G8 to invest 1% of its FDI in Liberia to help develop its rubber, cocoa, palm oil, coconut, cashew and banana industries

(6) 10-year tax holidays will be given to all agro-allied companies investing in Liberia

(7) All Ecowas investors will be given free housing, tax holidays and security to encourage them to open facilities in Liberia

(8) Given the relationship between the US and Liberia, we will push for Washington to allow us retail all our cash crops into their market

(9) We will push for a Monrovia to Calabar railway line to open up Liberia to the Ecowas market

(10) 50% of all political appointments in Liberia will go to women to eliminate the terrible scourge of female illiteracy and poverty
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I am yet to read or see any coherent policies like this. If anyone saw any during the campaign, please post post them here as I am keen to read such a document.

What will almost certainly happen now is that Weah will spend the next two years searching for policies. Every appointee willl come up with ideas of their own.

Now how do you run a government with everyone pulling in different directions? Where is the blueprint and master plan?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

If I want to reduce class sizes to 30 pupil per class, or increase hospital beds from one to 5,000 citizens to say 10 to every 5,000 citizens, how do I do this without coherent policies?

If I sit down with Rio Tinto directors and want them to invest $100m a year in my country’s mining industry, how do I do this without coherent policies? When they ask for an industrial blueprint do I just tell them my love will suffice?

How many times have we seen this before? In Egypt, the goal of industrial expansion died when Abdul Nasser suffered a stroke and died because his dreams with not formalised into any policy documents.