NO NAIJA REF FOR CHAN 2018

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
NO NAIJA REF FOR CHAN 2018

Post by Gotti »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

CAF on Tuesday named 32 match officials for the 2018 CHAN tournament in Morocco - and apparently there was not a single Nigerian listed as referee or assistant referee, not even as Video Assistant Referee. And here I was thinking that the NFF flew our ‘refs’ to England to (literally) learn how to wave flags. SMDH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
ukwala
Egg
Egg
Re: NO NAIJA REF FOR CHAN 2018

Post by ukwala »

We must be doing very poorly in the refereeing department. We had just one assistant referee in AFCON 2017 and now no ref/AR in CHAN 2018. I wonder whether our refs are that bad or there is more to it??
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Why should a Nigerian referee be invited when they’ve been messing up games in their domestic league?If you can’t show pride in your job you should never be allowed to work at a higher level!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ukwala wrote:We must be doing very poorly in the refereeing department. We had just one assistant referee in AFCON 2017 and now no ref/AR in CHAN 2018. I wonder whether our refs are that bad or there is more to it??
I think it is safer to go with the former.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Let is be honest with ourselves here, there has to be more to this...there has got to be more to this! Perhaps there os some training or certification requirement that is missing.....Naija not being represented at any football competition on the continent is not something that can just be swept away.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

oloye wrote:Let is be honest with ourselves here, there has to be more to this...there has got to be more to this! Perhaps there os some training or certification requirement that is missing.....Naija not being represented at any football competition on the continent is not something that can just be swept away.
I think we need to look within before we seek explanations from the outside.
It may well be true that we are trying to clean up our act but we have a whole backlog of cleaning to do regarding our referees and I am not sure we are there yet.

Considering the AFCON will aim to recruit 32 of the very best of Africa's top referees ('la crème de la crème'), it will take a brave man to point at a Naija referee that makes that grade.

No be by quota system.
Just sayin'... :?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Fifa do not like our referees because it cannot verify their ages. Our age cheating causes all sorts of problems.
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

Nigeria has fallen behind in everything. And we don't even seem to admit our tendencies in poor qualities and below standards. God have mercy!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...fix your house before stepping outside to see others.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

ukwala wrote:We must be doing very poorly in the refereeing department. We had just one assistant referee in AFCON 2017 and now no ref/AR in CHAN 2018. I wonder whether our refs are that bad or there is more to it??
Pesin way dey chop akara dey chop im money.

They should try to improve their professionalism.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Fifa do not like our referees because it cannot verify their ages. Our age cheating causes all sorts of problems.
It has nothing to do with FIFA or with age cheating.

It is a CAF tournament for one. And CAF has consistently overlooked Naijarian referees. I actually believe they are the ones who recommend CAF referees to FIFA.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

:clap:
Damunk wrote:
oloye wrote:Let is be honest with ourselves here, there has to be more to this...there has got to be more to this! Perhaps there os some training or certification requirement that is missing.....Naija not being represented at any football competition on the continent is not something that can just be swept away.
It may well be true that we are trying to clean up our act but we have a whole backlog of cleaning to do regarding our referees and I am not sure we are there yet.

Considering the AFCON will aim to recruit 32 of the very best of Africa's top referees ('la crème de la crème'), it will take a brave man to point at a Naija referee that makes that grade.

No be by quota system.
And how bad can naija refs be compared to the clowns being banned by fifa for bungling the wcq! While it is not a case for quota system, the fact still femains i refuse to believe that our refs are so bad that they cannot even be called in to handle CHAN. We have FIFA graded and not CAF graded refs......these are FIFA certified refs we are talking about and the grading or certification is conducted by who? If you certify someone i thought the whole odea is making ot clear they are good enough to handle matches at certain levels?

We cannot simply sweep these things away just because of self loathing...yes we have bad refs...so do other countries.

As long as our refs are still being ceetified and awarded fifa badges they deserve an explanation why they are being omitted!

I wont be surprised if there are other issues behind the scene responsible.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Bros, Pinnick is now a top insider at CAF, so the politics angle would not seem to hold water...
Nigerian refs officiated in the CAF club competitions and WCQs, and I suspect they graded poorly.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

oloye wrote::clap:
Damunk wrote:

No be by quota system.
And how bad can naija refs be compared to the clowns being banned by fifa for bungling the wcq! While it is not a case for quota system, the fact still femains i refuse to believe that our refs are so bad that they cannot even be called in to handle CHAN. We have FIFA graded and not CAF graded refs......these are FIFA certified refs we are talking about and the grading or certification is conducted by who? If you certify someone i thought the whole odea is making ot clear they are good enough to handle matches at certain levels?

We cannot simply sweep these things away just because of self loathing...yes we have bad refs...so do other countries.

As long as our refs are still being certified and awarded fifa badges they deserve an explanation why they are being omitted!

I won't be surprised if there are other issues behind the scene responsible.
But chief, certification is no guarantee of performance. No-one can ever take your certificate away from you, but they can take away your licence, or hold back on your career progress if your performance is not up to scratch.

Just to take my own profession as an example; I am appalled by the standards some of my colleagues in Naija have fallen to despite the fact that we all trained together to very high standards.
They will tell you 'na condition' and that Naija 'is different'.

So its not about self-loathing.
That 'diagnosis' simply prevents self-examination.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Damunk wrote:
Damunk wrote:

No be by quota system.

As long as our refs are still being certified and awarded fifa badges they deserve an explanation why they are being omitted!

But chief, certification is no guarantee of performance. No-one can ever take your certificate away from you, but they can take away your licence, or hold back on your career progress if your performance is not up to scratch.

Just to take my own profession as an example; I am appalled by the standards some of my colleagues in Naija have fallen to despite the fact that we all trained together to very high standards.

Well all i see here is people hastily reaching conclusions that the reasons we dont have refs selected is because we are not good enough without asking for the evidence of our performances on the continental stage. Strangely enough here i am asking questions while others have simply agreed we are not good enough. I dont see any self examination here other than self condemnation. As far as i am concerned i cannot believe we do not have any ref competent enough to officiate at the CHAN level, this does not mean we dont have more work to do in improving the lot of the refs.

The issue of the certification does not give blanket pass, but it gives credibility. If naija refs are still passing and are still being certified it means they are good enough. That is the whole essence.

You brought up the medical profession....i thought the regulatory body has a way of withdrawing the licence of practitioners who dont meet up?

The reasons why i am rainsing these questions is because i suspect the NRA have a lot to answer for on this issue, truth is of you have a body that is not bothered with keeping certain standards then it compromises everyone within it. It is not fair to simply assume that it is because all of them are not good enough and yet we still have more and more of the same refs collecting their fifa badges.

This is not about conspiracy theory, even as Gotti has pointed out we have Pinnick in the top echelon of CAF, one can only hope he is not there doing self service.
He should be able to question this status...not with the aim of influencing it,but instead providing a feed back for the NRA, because no matter how you look at it, it reflects badly on him as well.

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

oloye wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Damunk wrote:

No be by quota system.

Well all i see here is people hastily reaching conclusions that the reasons we dont have refs selected is because we are not good enough without asking for the evidence of our performances on the continental stage. Strangely enough here i am asking questions while others have simply agreed we are not good enough. I dont see any self examination here other than self condemnation. As far as i am concerned i cannot believe we do not have any ref competent enough to officiate at the CHAN level, this does not mean we dont have more work to do in improving the lot of the refs.

The issue of the certification does not give blanket pass, but it gives credibility. If naija refs are still passing and are still being certified it means they are good enough. That is the whole essence.

You brought up the medical profession....i thought the regulatory body has a way of withdrawing the licence of practitioners who dont meet up? .
O'boy forget that one.
The medical (and dental) regulatory body (MDCN) is doing jack to effectively monitor standards of practice in Nigeria.
Like I said, certification and performance (i.e. practice) are two separate things. You can be a very poor practitioner yet retain your certification, esp in Nigeria.
I do not expect the referees' regulatory body to be any different.
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

Nigerians BAD MOUTHING everything is the BIGGEST problem.
Nothing happening in Nigeria that cannot be found in Italy.
We need to TONE it down
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

The real deal wrote:Nigerians BAD MOUTHING everything is the BIGGEST problem.
We need to TONE it down
Exactly bros! It's the "bad-mouthing" that caused CAF not to list Naija refs... :roll:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

Gotti wrote:
The real deal wrote:Nigerians BAD MOUTHING everything is the BIGGEST problem.
We need to TONE it down
Exactly bros! It's the "bad-mouthing" that caused CAF not to list Naija refs... :roll:
Its a MAJOR reason Gotti.
We run down our own so much.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA ... _officials
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

The real deal wrote: Its a MAJOR reason Gotti.
Until Nigerians start to introspect and confront our shortcomings, we'll remain a 3d World Toilet...
But sadly we have become (or perhaps remain) a people looking to blame 'enemies' for our issues.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

Gotti wrote:
Until Nigerians start to introspect and confront our shortcomings, we'll remain a 3d World Toilet...
But sadly we have become (or perhaps remain) a people looking to blame 'enemies' for our issues.

List our shortcomings and who are the ENEMIES you are referring to
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The real deal wrote:
Gotti wrote:

List our shortcomings and who are the ENEMIES you are referring to
We are our own worst enemies.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Eaglezbeak wrote:Why should a Nigerian referee be invited when they’ve been messing up games in their domestic league? If you can’t show pride in your job you should never be allowed to work at a higher level!
Good question and a very good point you've made in this your thread - Sir! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.