Five reasons Iceland can shock the world

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

We can't say we haven't been warned.

(FIFA.com) 21 Dec 2017
Iceland's football team wave the fans after the 2018 World Cup qualifier football match of Iceland vs Turkey

There is an undeniable novelty factor to Iceland’s participation at Russia 2018.

Even their manager, Heimir Hallgrimsson, acknowledged as much after their spot at the FIFA World Cup™ - and place in history as the smallest nation ever to qualify - was secured. “This is really odd,” he said. “I mean, Pele, Maradona... Aron Einar Gunnarsson.”

But don’t be fooled by this light-hearted suggestion that Iceland, and their bearded captain, might seem out of place among the game’s greats on the global stage. For all the focus on their record-breaking population, they were also the smallest country ever to qualify for the UEFA European Championship – and everyone knows how that tale unfolded.

Indeed, while Iceland’s World Cup hopes haven’t been aided by a tough draw that has pitted them against Argentina, Croatia and Nigeria, there is plenty of cause for optimism. And if Lionel Messi, Luka Modric and Co need any reminding, FIFA.com has five reasons why the Nordic newcomers are a team worth fearing.

1. They are serial giant-killers
‘The bigger they are, the harder they fall’ seems to be the motto of a team that, over the past couple of years, has beaten the likes of Croatia, the Netherlands, Turkey, Ukraine, Greece and, most famously of all, England. As midfielder Olafur Skulason said: "I could see the newspapers in other countries talking about how unlucky we are to get that kind of group - but that is exactly what we want. We want those big games. We want to play against Argentina. What an amazing team to play against in the first game ever for Iceland in the World Cup!"

2. They can better EURO heroics
Iceland stunned the football world by qualifying from their group at UEFA EURO 2016, then knocking out England in the last 16. But despite their outstanding results, which also included a win over Austria and a draw with eventual champions Portugal, the players insisted that performance levels were below par. “I strongly believe we’re better than we showed in most of those games,” veteran defender Kari Arnason told FIFA.com. “There were nerves at the EURO but we’re normally better in keeping the ball, working openings.” This was borne out in qualifying, when Iceland impressed en route to topping a group featuring Croatia, Turkey and Ukraine. It also bodes well for Russia 2018. As Arnason said: “It’s nice to say that we did so well [at the EURO] and still have a lot of room to improve.”

3. They have a star No10 of their own
Lionel Messi might be Group D’s headline act, but Iceland also have an influential and highly effective No10 in the shape of Gylfi Sigurdsson. The midfielder is undoubtedly the ace in the debutants’ pack, with vision, shooting ability and set-piece expertise among his most notable attributes. As Sigurdsson’s former manager, Lars Lagerback, pointed out, he also epitomises Iceland’s team-centred approach. “Together with Henrik Larsson, I would say that Gylfi is the best team player I’ve worked with,” Lagerback said of the man Everton paid £45 million for. “He always plays for the team and must be one of the best two-way midfield players out there."

4. Their team spirit is second-to-none
Though their midfield playmaker stands out, Iceland’s strength lies not in star players, but in unity. Sigurdsson himself acknowledged this when asked about the secret behind their success. “It has a lot to do with the team spirit that we have,” he said. “How we are as a group is unique.” The country’s modest population, and the consequently small pool of players to pick from, ensures that Hallgrimsson's squad rarely changes, and is largely comprised of close friends who have come through the youth ranks together.

5. They have a special bond with their supporters
In most countries, the idea of the national coach visiting fans in the pub ahead of matches would be unthinkable. Not in Iceland, where Hallgrimsson has maintained this remarkable routine - briefing supporters on tactics, sharing motivational videos – throughout the last two qualifying campaigns. “There’s a closeness there that makes us a little special,” he explained. “We have built a unique relationship with our fans and my visits to the bar have become a sweet Icelandic tradition.” Another tradition, which became famous at the EURO – when almost ten per cent of Iceland’s population headed to France to cheer the team on - is the ‘Thunderclap’. The war cry-like chant drew inspiration from the film ‘300’ and made for an intimidating sight and sound. As one Portuguese journalist wrote at the EURO: "Don't cross Iceland - their Viking chant is terrifying!"
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=201 ... 228_newsid
http://www.naijiant.com/
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Five reasons Iceland can shock the world

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Nobody with a brain will be underrating them. Anybody who does will be Leicesterized.

Wha choo looking at?!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

we need 10 reasons. This writer needs to visit Ayo.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

To me, all teams must be respected and be played like there is no tomorrow. All the teams in the world cup tournament are good and hence they are there.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Iceland are dangerous for many reasons (well balanced and organized, and good chemistry) but to be frank they have a major weakness not many seem to be mentioning.
They have little to no experience playing football against teams outside of Europe. They remind me of Bulgaria in 1994 led by Hristo Stoichkov. also noted as being highly organized with a reputation for being giant killers (knocked out France). Stoichkovs Bulgeria went on to the semi-finals but that was mostly luck (we won the group but got to play eventual finalists Italy in the 2nd round while they got Mexico). If Italy had won their group as expected, we might have been the ones in the Semis.

The world cup is about contrasting styles of football. We've seen European teams do well on the continent yet fail to delivier at the world cup in the group stages in previous world cups (remember Germany vs Algeria last world cup)
I think teams like Iceland will struggle against unpredictable teams like Argentina or Nigeria at the world cup simply because of a lack of exposure.

Croatia though is another story. Their experience at the world cup make them much more dangerous than Iceland.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Iceland beat Nigeria 3-0 in a friendly match back in the day.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Sir V wrote:Iceland beat Nigeria 3-0 in a friendly match back in the day.
You mean in 1981?
https://athlet.org/football/friendly/19 ... geria.html

Yeah,....doesnt count.
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

Nigeria will deal with Iceland
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

charlie wrote:Iceland are dangerous for many reasons (well balanced and organized, and good chemistry) but to be frank they have a major weakness not many seem to be mentioning.
They have little to no experience playing football against teams outside of Europe. They remind me of Bulgaria in 1994 led by Hristo Stoichkov. also noted as being highly organized with a reputation for being giant killers (knocked out France). Stoichkovs Bulgeria went on to the semi-finals but that was mostly luck (we won the group but got to play eventual finalists Italy in the 2nd round while they got Mexico). If Italy had won their group as expected, we might have been the ones in the Semis.

The world cup is about contrasting styles of football. We've seen European teams do well on the continent yet fail to delivier at the world cup in the group stages in previous world cups (remember Germany vs Algeria last world cup)
I think teams like Iceland will struggle against unpredictable teams like Argentina or Nigeria at the world cup simply because of a lack of exposure.

Croatia though is another story. Their experience at the world cup make them much more dangerous than Iceland.
Croatia also has problem playing with non European teams. I think the last time they bet a non Euroside was when they beat those ganja smokers from Jamaica back in 1998.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

bret- hart wrote:
charlie wrote:Iceland are dangerous for many reasons (well balanced and organized, and good chemistry) but to be frank they have a major weakness not many seem to be mentioning.

Croatia also has problem playing with non European teams. I think the last time they bet a non Euroside was when they beat those ganja smokers from Jamaica back in 1998.
You forgot the 4-0 drubbing they gave Cameroon in the last WC.
Croatia is the key hurdle for us to solve.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

charlie wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
charlie wrote:You forgot the 4-0 drubbing they gave Cameroon in the last WC.
Croatia is the key hurdle for us to solve.
Obviously Croatia is a key hurdle, but how much should we look into that game? Every team at that World Cup rolled over Cameroon.
Not to mention Alex Song's intent to get a red card. Also it was the game that Cameroonian players were fighting each other.

Cameroon totally sabotaged that game. The less said, the better.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

If we had any sense, we would regard any Nordic countries with the dark foreboding of the climax of a Nordic literary thriller.

What they may lack in skill, the make up for in good organisation and a cold Viking killer instinct.

Remember Denmark anyone?
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

cchinukw wrote:If we had any sense, we would regard any Nordic countries with the dark foreboding of the climax of a Nordic literary thriller.

What they may lack in skill, the make up for in good organisation and a cold Viking killer instinct.

Remember Denmark anyone?
I will say it’s more like remember the Laudrups
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

cchinukw wrote:If we had any sense, we would regard any Nordic countries with the dark foreboding of the climax of a Nordic literary thriller.

Remember Denmark anyone?
I was actually more pained by our loss to Sweden in 2002. That loss knocked us out of that WC before the garri had even finished soaking.

Wha choo looking at?!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Lolly wrote:

Remember Denmark anyone?
I will say it’s more like remember the Laudrups
Our defense made them look world class even their striker Moller.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

We in deep trouble in dis group. :scared: :scared: :scared:
OCCUPY NFF!!
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:We in deep trouble in dis group. :scared: :scared: :scared:
Very true, if we want to be realistic, but we can prepare to overcome the situation.
Only those with minimal knowledge of sports/football would believe this group is easy.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Iceland and Nigeria will make last 16.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:We in deep trouble in dis group. :scared: :scared: :scared:
Phew! We don qualify be dat :thumbs:
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

The teams in this group could possibly be tied after the final game at four points each,
with the teams moving to the next round to be decided by other means.
If any team in this group can accumulate seven points, that team will play in the final game
of the world cup, baring injuries.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I just do not think the fairy tale will continue at the World Cup but this is just a hunch. Somehow I feel that Iceland has used its discipline to handle underwhelming competition in Europe and the period of reckoning comes in June. No one will underrate them and they would have to defend their ranking on the field.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

I feel the same. It feels like Europeans are justifying the fact that Iceland managed to qualify when the likes of Italy or Holland didn't. For me it seems like Iceland had one good tournament in them and that was the Euro 2016.

They have Sigurdsson and Finnbogason, but thats about it. There are even no 'exceptional young talents' in the wings and Iceland will likely be one of the oldest squads at the World Cup. I expect them to be another Czech Republic, Serbia or Bosnia.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

marutimon wrote:I feel the same. It feels like Europeans are justifying the fact that Iceland managed to qualify when the likes of Italy or Holland didn't. For me it seems like Iceland had one good tournament in them and that was the Euro 2016.

They have Sigurdsson and Finnbogason, but thats about it. There are even no 'exceptional young talents' in the wings and Iceland will likely be one of the oldest squads at the World Cup. I expect them to be another Czech Republic, Serbia or Bosnia.
Bosnia almost beat us o. We were lucky in that game. :l :sneaky:
OCCUPY NFF!!