Time to launch Operation Catch Up With the Sextet

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Time to launch Operation Catch Up With the Sextet

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Enugu II, population remains a key factor for me anyway, anytime and anywhere. You know why:

(1) It gives you a large talent pool to chose from
(2) According to the law of averages, when you have 100m to choose from you should likely get 23 better players than a nation that only had 10m to chose from
(3) Holland has been inconsistent because of its population limitations
(4) Uruguay and Hungary fell by the wayside because of their limited populations
(5) Belgium will go into another haitus once this its golden generation passes. Small nations need at least 20 years to rebuild their teams
(6) Brazil and Nigeria should between them be winning two out if every three World Cups
(7) What makes the two of us unique is that football reigns supreme
(8) India (cricket), Indonesia (badminton), Mexico (wrestling), Russia (ice skating), America (baseball), China (table tennis), etc will never be able to give football their full attention like Nigeria and Brazil
(9) I would go as far as to say winning the World Cup is our birthright
(10) It is highly embarrassing that we have never been beyond the last 16. Totally unacceptable to me
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Enugu II, population remains a key factor for me anyway, anytime and anywhere. You know why:

(1) It gives you a large talent pool to chose from
(2) According to the law of averages, when you have 100m to choose from you should likely get 23 better players than a nation that only had 10m to chose from
(3) Holland has been inconsistent because of its population limitations
(4) Uruguay and Hungary fell by the wayside because of their limited populations
(5) Belgium will go into another haitus once this its golden generation passes. Small nations need at least 20 years to rebuild their teams
(6) Brazil and Nigeria should between them be winning two out if every three World Cups
(7) What makes the two of us unique is that football reigns supreme
(8) India (cricket), Indonesia (badminton), Mexico (wrestling), Russia (ice skating), America (baseball), China (table tennis), etc will never be able to give football their full attention like Nigeria and Brazil
(9) I would go as far as to say winning the World Cup is our birthright
(10) It is highly embarrassing that we have never been beyond the last 16. Totally unacceptable to me
Ayo
Your argument relating population to sustainability substantially changes your initial goal which is time for Nigeria to win or do better in the World Cup. Without debating the significance of population, you are now really talking about two separate things: 1) doing well at a World Cup, and 2) doing well st the World Cup repeatedly. So which one is the issue?

Your no. 8 isn't accurate as you well know. Are you claiming football is not the major sport in Russia and Mexico?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Enugu II, joining the big six implies doing well consistently. I fail to understand what is confusing here.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Enugu II, joining the big six implies doing well consistently. I fail to understand what is confusing here.

Ayo,

Should we not take the first step before thinking about doing so each World Cup?

In any case, let me not divert. The issue is how do we challenge the Top Six?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Enugu II wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Enugu II, joining the big six implies doing well consistently. I fail to understand what is confusing here.

Ayo,

Should we not take the first step before thinking about doing so each World Cup?

In any case, let me not divert. The issue is how do we challenge the Top Six?
Are we interested in doing a Turkey or South Korea in 2002? What we want is something sustainable.

Now, this involves the constant production of players. We have 774 local government areas. If each of them produces two players a year, we will easily get 11 world class players.