Your opinion on foreign born Naijas in our Youth teams

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Your opinion on foreign born Naijas in our Youth teams

Post by 1naija »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:CE needs to update its rules to address this new trends of anti-diaspora bigotry and xenophobia. I see no difference between it and Donald Trump’s immigration controls.

There are some vile people who just hate diaspora kids. No matter how good they are, these people simply do not want them.

If anyone needs to be reigned in, it's someone who constantly belittle our players that worked hard and sacrificed everything to qualify us for Russia!
Last edited by 1naija on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:CE needs to update its rules to address this new trends of anti-diaspora bigotry and xenophobia. I see no difference between it and Donald Trump’s immigration controls.

There are some vile people who just hate diaspora kids. No matter how good they are, these people simply do not want them.
I'm not sure that I can see the so called bigotry in the OP. He asked a good question which has nothing to do with bigotry (before you accuse me my son was born in the UK). The argument by some is that including players born (and living) outside Nigeria might be disruptive given our penchant for thinking that everything foreign is better. However, if we have organized and structured programmes that are talent based and not subjective it might work.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

My concern here is that when I raised this issue after NFAChairman showed his bigotry, YOU (YES YOU--AYO) told me to leave it alone and you tried to sweep it under the rug, because NFAChair is your friend. Why are you, all of a sudden, now finding offense? :sneaky:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Yes o. In fact, we should go ahead and put quota on former Bendel (Edo and Delta). They are only 2 of 36 states, therefore should not produce more than 1 in 11 players. They are blocking development of Hausa and Yoruba players.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

So a foreign born player of Nigerian heritage can walk into the first team no question (how did Ameobi accomplish it?) But a question is raised about a player starting from youth level.Either way it’s happened and will continue (I have no problem with the question but I answered it how I see fit).
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Foreign born players must not be allowed in our youth teams because their birth certificates reveal their true ages!

God forbid we waive our competitive advantage!

Cmoke :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

It is a shame that in the year 2018 we have bigots on this forum that see it fit to even post this kind of statement under the guise of free speech. Almost all reading this will take great offense to this thread and as a parent of foreign born Nigerian athletes, I do. I fail to understand what gives you the moral right or makes you a constituted authority to determine that a Nigerian born and raised in Nigeria has more rights than one born overseas and alternatively of mixed race.

Until this small minded mentality changes, we have no hope. It's going to be Igbo vs Yoruba, Ijaw vs Hausa, Light skin vs dark skin and so on.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

This is how we missed out on Alaba. :D
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

airwolex wrote:This is how we missed out on Alaba. :D
Alaba is the exception, rather than the rule.

All this furore is lies solely at the comments and actions of Pinnick, who believes those playing in Arsenal second team is/are better than home based players to drive home his inferiority complex point. Pinnick claimed Ahmed Musa "has" a poor techique because he transferred from Nigeria to Russia (forgetting he played in Holland, before Russia).

Everyone should be given equality of opportunity not preference due to location.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Its neither bigotry nor xenophobia.
Its just a sense of injustice that many feel.
It is not an untenable argument and I agree with it.

If you want to develop your youths, focus on them.
If anyone has the resources to travel and come to compete and they are Nigerian, fine. But they have to meet up and the risk is theirs. No automatic inclusion just because you've taken that risk.
And no crying 'foul' after, like that American kid a few years ago.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Damunk wrote:

If anyone has the resources to travel and come to compete and they are Nigerian, fine. But they have to meet up and the risk is theirs. No automatic inclusion just because you've taken that risk.

you just threw a red herring into the discussion. The 'American kid' was not disqualified because of his inferior talent, but rather, because the MRI test declared him older than his birth certificate. It was his right to cry foul. If British DaMunk goes to Nigeria, and an immigration officer pockets your Naija Kpali, alleging that the picture no resemble you, you no go cry foul?

By the way, as a Diasporan (even born abroad), maybe you are taking the space of my village boy that could have been directing movies in Nollywood? :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Damunk wrote:

you just threw a red herring into the discussion. The 'American kid' was not disqualified because of his inferior talent, but rather, because the MRI test declared him older than his birth certificate. It was his right to cry foul. If British DaMunk goes to Nigeria, and an immigration officer pockets your Naija Kpali, alleging that the picture no resemble you, you no go cry foul?

By the way, as a Diasporan (even born abroad), maybe you are taking the space of my village boy that could have been directing movies in Nollywood? :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:
Chief, you're right. It was the MRI.
But they still cried foul which I felt was rather cynical of them. Basically, they were arguing that the MRI could not be right because they knew their son was the right age. So they were riding on the bad rep of the NFF and virtually accusing them of fraud without reckoning with the fact that the MRI was not infallible - false positives and false negatives are real possibilities as you know.
That to me, is still crying 'foul'. Sour grapes.

Re British born vs Naija born kids
I believe the recruitment should be done at home. Emphasis on kids. I have no problem with full grown men (not the subject of this thread).

However, as a youth development policy with limited resources, I see no reason why the NFF should go looking for Nigerian kids around the world when there are 100m or more right here at home.
A special concession could be made for those who are confident and monied enough to travel over at their own expense without invitation. They can be given a fast track, direct trial with the other local kids for their troubles, but no guarantees just like anyone else. I just don't see why we should go the extra mile scouting abroad when we can't even scout the length and breadth of Nigeria effectively.

Lets face it...the only reason why a talented foreign-based Nigerian kid would get into the Naija youth set-up teams would be because they are at a financial advantage (to travel) OR the NFF is using their limited resources to seek them out and bring them over at the expense of some local kid marooned in some remote town in the ND or Boko Haram territory or Ilorin :tic:

This is a youth development program - a means to an end and not an end in itself as Pinnick rightly stated recently. Naija kids abroad have all the development facilities our local kids could only dream of. As youths, if they're so patriotic, they can develop abroad, become adult superstars and then opt to play for the SE instead of England or Germany or France.

Its that simple really. As they get older we can be more flexible. But anything under 20 years of age, I'd say no.
gmoni1
Egg
Egg

Post by gmoni1 »

pastorhotr99 wrote:Totally against it. Bad for our soccer development and it will destroy us.
Were Oliseh, Okocha, Kanu or Rufai, Ikpeba, Taribo or Amokachi foreign born?

It will stifle and destroy our talent production line and we will only get the inferior talent at the days end.

Abeg abeg.

So my children born outside the shores of Nigeria, should not represent Nigeria.. The west is not our problem, but ourselves..
monkeypost
Egg
Egg

Post by monkeypost »

This is the most annoying thread I have ever read on this forum, and this is coming from one of the oldest members on CE, the moderators should take charrge and be responsible, we dont need this nonsense with our football, my advice is lock this thread, it is divisive and sowing of bad blood between Nigerians at home and Nigerians in the diaspora.
If you give me Cole and I give you Gallas, surely, SURELY, you owe me money? waka man on the Cole Gallas transfer saga
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

monkeypost wrote:This is the most annoying thread I have ever read on this forum, and this is coming from one of the oldest members on CE, the moderators should take charrge and be responsible, we dont need this nonsense with our football, my advice is lock this thread, it is divisive and sowing of bad blood between Nigerians at home and Nigerians in the diaspora.
I disagree.
Its just some responders going OTT.
There's nothing inherently divisive about this topic, though some might be trying their best to make it appear so.
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

monkeypost wrote:This is the most annoying thread I have ever read on this forum, and this is coming from one of the oldest members on CE, the moderators should take charrge and be responsible, we dont need this nonsense with our football, my advice is lock this thread, it is divisive and sowing of bad blood between Nigerians at home and Nigerians in the diaspora.
Why should the thread be locked? If you think it is divisive it is all n your head.
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

joao wrote:We all know that football is all about hype, and considering our love of foreign this and that
we should be careful how this is done.
I think a match between foreign born U-17 and local kids should settle who gets to be selected
for the main team.
That should make things interesting.
COME TO THINK OF IT...

...a match between local and diaspora youths (not necessarily in the format you are suggesting) is not such a bad idea. Could be a nice way to attract some of the diaspora kids (both the hopefuls and the legits).
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

pastorhotr99 wrote:Totally against it. Bad for our soccer development and it will destroy us.
Were Oliseh, Okocha, Kanu or Rufai, Ikpeba, Taribo or Amokachi foreign born?

It will stifle and destroy our talent production line and we will only get the inferior talent at the days end.

Abeg abeg.
HAVE TO DISAGREE HERE

The Olisehs and Okochas would not be displaced by diaspora kids. And I don't think there are enough diaspora kids to submerge capable local kids who'd have plenty of opportunities to demonstrate their abilities.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

aruako1 wrote:

I'm not sure that I can see the so called bigotry in the OP. He asked a good question which has nothing to do with bigotry (before you accuse me my son was born in the UK). The argument by some is that including players born (and living) outside Nigeria might be disruptive given our penchant for thinking that everything foreign is better. However, if we have organized and structured programmes that are talent based and not subjective it might work.
I AGREE WITH YOU

I don't see this as a case of bigotry and it appears some are just getting unduly worked up.
Bell
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

I don’t see the problem it shows dedication or even loyalty (if they remain with the National Team until senior level) to play for a National Team from youth level so that should be understandable,we have seen young players born abroad turn down playing for the Nigerian senior team without playing for their country of birth at senior level (the likes of Jordan Ibe) so why question a player that wants to play for Nigeria at youth level regardless of where he/she was born?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Bell wrote:
joao wrote:We all know that football is all about hype, and considering our love of foreign this and that
I think a match between foreign born U-17 and local kids should settle who gets to be selected
for the main team.

COME TO THINK OF IT...

...a match between local and diaspora youths (not necessarily in the format you are suggesting) is not such a bad idea. Could be a nice way to attract some of the diaspora kids (both the hopefuls and the legits).
Bell

Actually, such a match was played not too long ago but I do not think it definitive as the boys coming from outside Nigeria may not have been the best. The result? The foreign-based lads were walloped.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Seems more like a resource issue. Should the NFF use scarce resources to go scouting abroad for U17 kids and set up camps abroad? Probably not. Should they do it for kids around Nigeria, definitely yes. But if a camp is opened, foreign based kids should be allowed in camp to fight for a spot. I believe this is how it's been. The NFF should also be proactive with contacting foreign based kids with the potential to join the national teams while they're still eligible i.e. register the interest and let the kid know that option is available.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Enugu II wrote:
Bell wrote:
for the main team.

COME TO THINK OF IT...

Bell

Actually, such a match was played not too long ago but I do not think it definitive as the boys coming from outside Nigeria may not have been the best. The result? The foreign-based lads were walloped.
WHAT THEY CAN DO IS TO ESTABLISH CRITERIA SUCH AS...

...making an invitation only thing with a prospect providing his/her club or high school affiliation, or a video. Need I mention that if it's done for guys it should be done for the girls as well?
Bell