Of all our players in Europe only Ndidi is improving

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

osita
Egg
Egg
Re: Of all our players in Europe only Ndidi is improving

Post by osita »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:I would feel a lot more comfortable if the following were happening right now:

[1] One of the other struggling sides in La Liga takes Francis Uzoho on loan until the end of the season
[2] A mid table French side puts in a bid for Tyronne Ebuehi
[3] A team like say Southampton, Spurs, Newcastle or West H ... ie Awaziem for say £10m
[4] A Champions League side like say Bayern Munich or Roma put in a bid for Mikel Obi
[5] A mid table Premiership side like say Everton put in a bid for Odion Ighalo
[6] Wilfred Ndidi becomes the subject of a bidding war between two over-hyped top clubs like say Arsenal and Liverpool. Both teams have serious defensive problems, especially in front of the back four
[7] Chelsea suddenly start using Victor Moses in his natural position again. I guess for this to happen, they would need to abandon their 3-5-2 formation
[8] Henry Onyekuru miraculously recovers and is recalled by his parent club Everton
[9] A struggling Premiership team like say West Brom, Crystal Palace, Swansea or Bournemouth make a bid for Abdul Ajagun
[10] William Ekong makes a return to England joining a team like say Huddersfield or Burnley on loan until the end of the season

Ayo the world does not revolve around the EPL. There are other better league.
Atimes you mess up your points thinking British. Think international
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

marutimon wrote:Wow, talk about exaggeration!

Yes, I am concerned about how some of our players are developing. But the blanket statement is ricidulous.

Ndidi stands out because he's so good at the moment he could well start for any team in the world.

But:
a) Uzoho is obviously progressing. He had a shot at two La Liga starts by luck, because there was no other keeper the team could turn to. Uzoho impressed, took his chance and went back to the development squad when the first team goalkeepers returned. So his progress has not stopped, we just can't expect a Nigerian GK to suddenly explode in Europe. Europe still struggles with accepting African goalkeepers.
b) Ebeuhi is hot. So he's obviously progressing. But I'm sorry to say he's not elite talent and never was.
c) Shehu reached the peak of what he could do on Cyprus. Now needs a move to truly shine.
d) Two players you failed to mention are Sarenzeen Bazee and Okwonkwo, who are both wowing whenever they get a chance to play.
e) How can you say Awaziem is not progressing? At 20 he's a first choice defender and Nantes just offered 13 mln EUR to buy him permanently and Porto don't want to sell!
f) Obi is used sparingly because of his injury history, but he continues to impress when played. Its pretty obvious the coach doesn't want him playing too often, but not for footballing reasons.
g) Onyekuru has not shone through? He was top goalscorer in the league before his injury. Was purchased by a reknowned EPL team. He's being watched by all the big teams. What else can one expect? You compete with what you can.
h) Moses Simon has truly improved his game lately. But he needs a move, because he can't progress any further in Belgium.

The rest is worrying, but you're obviously talking loads of crap.
This right here is some SERIOUS contradiction and smells of BEEF!
Blukyt
Egg
Egg

Post by Blukyt »

With all due respect to you Mr. Ayo Akinfe, you are not being realistic. I don't think we have the quality of player to be playing at the highest level. Yes there is potential in Iwobi, Nacho, and Nwakali. These are young players that will hopefully improve and realise this potential. But unfortunately we currently don't have that level of player.

We are expecting too much.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Blukyt wrote:With all due respect to you Mr. Ayo Akinfe, you are not being realistic. I don't think we have the quality of player to be playing at the highest level. Yes there is potential in Iwobi, Nacho, and Nwakali. These are young players that will hopefully improve and realise this potential. But unfortunately we currently don't have that level of player.

How come their age mates who came through the U17 and U20 World Cups with them are now playing at the highest level? Ask yourself why Mbappe, Jesus, Rashford, etc are all starting for top Uefa Champions League clubsides.
Blukyt
Egg
Egg

Post by Blukyt »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Blukyt wrote:With all due respect to you Mr. Ayo Akinfe, you are not being realistic. I don't think we have the quality of player to be playing at the highest level. Yes there is potential in Iwobi, Nacho, and Nwakali. These are young players that will hopefully improve and realise this potential. But unfortunately we currently don't have that level of player.

How come their age mates who came through the U17 and U20 World Cups with them are now playing at the highest level? Ask yourself why Mbappe, Jesus, Rashford, etc are all starting for top Uefa Champions League clubsides.
You know individuals have different abilities right. These guys are better than what we have. In my opinion Iwobi is the best we've got and even he is struggling right now. There's levels to this. Some people are obviously just better. Not sure what the "age-mate" relevance is?
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Wow at Akinfe nagging...
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Blukyt wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

You know individuals have different abilities right. These guys are better than what we have. In my opinion Iwobi is the best we've got and even he is struggling right now. There's levels to this. Some people are obviously just better. Not sure what the "age-mate" relevance is?
You say they have potential then wonder why we are pointing out that kids younger than them are performing at the highest level. If you are saying Iheanacho, Iwobi, Onyekuru and Nwakali will never have the ability of say Mbappe, Rashford, Jesus, Lingard, etc, then stop saying they have "potential to be great."
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

What negativity or negative energy are you guys saying Ayo is spewting? It even shows more of someone that is concerned for the boys and the national team. if you have standards and that standard is to get to atleast the semi's or win the damn WC then you should know having majority of your players playing in backwater leagues or playing on the bench would not get you past 2nd round.

Personally, I hoped our boys would explode from this season but that didnt happen. Now i am hoping it happens this half of the season.

Our current Squad
1. Ighalo: CHina (not even top 3 highest goal scorers. I pray he makes it back to a good European league this January
2. Moses: World class
3. iwobi: Still more of a benchy than starter. I hope he finally wrestles that starting spot from NOW
4. Mikel: Captain fantastic. ko soro
5. Onazi: From Serie A to turkey and almost landed in the CHampionship.
6. Ndidi: You too much
7. Balogun: iffy but hoping he can permanently get back that starting spot. if yes, then good fit. if he does not play regularly in the Bundesliga, he would have serious issues at the world cup. The World Cup is not African qualifiers with a bunch of poor and useless teams.
8. Ekong: been doing a yeoman's job in Turkey. Can be rated top 3 CDs in Turkey. Can we refer to this as steady progress? Can he stand the best in the world? Would Le Guen allow him go on loan to a better league in this window?
9. Shehu: Cyprus. Na wa o
10. Elderson: nna meeeeen
11. Akpeyi/ezenwa: nuff said

2nd team + prospects:
1. Uzoho: div 3. if he has his head screwed on right, he should request a move this window to france, netherland or portugal just like Awaziem.
2. Kayode: Top league but hasnt made his mark yet. I hope he can wrestle the starting shirt and bang in goals this half of the season.
3. Iheanacho: Sad situation
3. Nwakaeme: plays in a back back water league of isreal but outrightly the best player in the league. Was voted best player last season and doing it again this season.
4. Onyekuru: though in a backwater league, he is one of the biggest prospects in World football, and playing for a top team in Belgium and popular one in the World. Did well in the CL. Highest goal scoeer in the league last season and was already leading again this season, all from the left wing!
5. Isaac success: One player that i expected to have shutdown the EPL by now but alas injury and sex messing up his career. I hope he breaks though this half of the season.
6. Simon Moses: hmmmm. not top 5 attackers or even left winger in the back water league of Belgium.
7. Ahmed Musa: SMH
8. JOel Obi: When fit, he starts in a top league. THough the coach started using him off and on after his last bout of injury. I guess this is to preserve him longer
9. Etebo: Banging tins in Portugal. The heartbeat of his fereinse team and one of the top midfielders in portugal. His club chariman even confirmed discussions with Porto.
10.Mikel Agu: Been off and on with his performance in Turkey.
11.John Ogu: Top mifielder in Isreal but .... I dont know how to place this guy
12.Awaziem: Great fit. Steady progress in the Top french league in a team doing very well. Dont be shocked if he becomes a starting CD for SE by the WC.
13.Omeruo: 1 great game in Turkey and every other have been just ok
14. Ola Aina: championship
15.Ebuehi: Dutch league is one of the top 8 in Europe. Ebuehi has been voted the best Right back and he progressing fantastically well. He is just one season or WC away from playing in a top league
16. Esiti: made best team list in belgium for half of the season. He is in the same situation Ndidi was a little over a year ago which finally landed him in the 2nd best league in the world. Esiti is almost there.

*The 3 guys in red are sure top players.
*The 6 players in Blue are progressing nicely and could still have a break out season and a massive showing at the WC.
*I just cant place Balogun now. Tough call. If he plays regularly from now, sure top player for us else, he's a risk
Last edited by chief nfachairman on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Iheanacho was better than Rashford. He still has the potential to be world class.
Iwobi, Onyekuru and Nwakali are all elite talent.
For players like Nwakali the problem for now has been England's law. He probably shouldn't have chosen Arsenal, instead chosen a more low key first European signing and taken the path of Onyekuru. I don't know what is happening at VVV. Whenever he's on the field he's heads and shoulders above everyone else, but yet he's been relegated to the bench. I honestly can't get my head around it.

Onyekuru is obviously treated as an elite talent. Now we have to wait and see whether he makes the big step to Europe.

Another player of elite talent is Success. There is no reason why he shouldn't be as good as Sterling. However he really needs to refocus.
Last edited by marutimon on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

chief nfachairman wrote: 8. JOel Obi: When fit, he starts in a top league. THough the coach started using him off and on after his last bout of injury. I guess this is to preserve him longer
Yes, the coach said exactly that in one interview.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Blukyt wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

You say they have potential then wonder why we are pointing out that kids younger than them are performing at the highest level. If you are saying Iheanacho, Iwobi, Onyekuru and Nwakali will never have the ability of say Mbappe, Rashford, Jesus, Lingard, etc, then stop saying they have "potential to be great."
:agree: :agree:
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

marutimon wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote: 8. JOel Obi: When fit, he starts in a top league. THough the coach started using him off and on after his last bout of injury. I guess this is to preserve him longer
Yes, the coach said exactly that in one interview.
Nice. :thumbs:
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

NFA Chair, our people appear confused. They want the Eagles to do well but they do not realise that this can only happen if the players play well.

A country the size of Nigeria where football is a religion, should always have at least six or seven world class players at every point in time. We should always be able to boast of at least one player in clubs like PSG, Barca, Real Madrid, Man City, Juventus, Inter Milan, Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Borrussia Dortmund, etc.

Ideally, by now, the following players should be playing at that level:

Francis Uzoho
Tyronne Ebuehie
Chiagozie Awaziem
Wilfred Ndidi
Kelechi Nwakali
Henry Onyekuru
Odion Ighalo

Ogenzi Onazi went from playing for Lazio to Trabzonspor and was then offloaded to Birmingham City, the club at the foot of the English Championship and my people do not see this as a crisis. So were it not for British immigration rules, we would have gone to the World Cup with a player plying his trade in the English third tier. Hmmmmmm.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

You didn't even know who the hell Uzoho was two months ago and now you expect him to 'already be playing for an elite club' :) He wasn't even the starting keeper in the 2013 team.

Meanwhile Onyekuru - wisely in my opinion - choose to not go to a bit club, because he wants to develop.

And most of those players you meantioned are 18-21 years old. They are at the start of their career.

Keep it real man.

Honestly, I can't take another six months of your nagging.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

marutimon wrote:You didn't even know who the hell Uzoho was two months ago and now you expect him to 'already be playing for an elite club' :) He wasn't even the starting keeper in the 2013 team.

Meanwhile Onyekuru - wisely in my opinion - choose to not go to a bit club, because he wants to develop.

And most of those players you meantioned are 18-21 years old. They are at the start of their career.

Keep it real man.

Honestly, I can't take another six months of your nagging.

How old are the following:

Jesus Gabriel
Marcus Rashford
Kylian Mbappé
Anthony Martial
Jordan Pickford
Christian Pulisic
Leroy Sane
Andre Silva
Thomas Lemar
Dele Alli
Blukyt
Egg
Egg

Post by Blukyt »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Blukyt wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

IMO Iwobi is better than Lingard and Rashford. Being great still has levels. The players you keep listing in every post are getting chances to play regularly. Some of these guys are struggling (and will do at some point). They are young guys and still have some way to go to become the full package. With Iwobi I don't really see him as the problem, the system is the problem. He is a #10 which is currently what Ozil is doing very well. He has all that is required. With more games and not being shackled by the presence of Alexis he will be fine. Greatness takes time. Don't be a prisoner of the moment.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Blukyt wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Blukyt wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

IMO Iwobi is better than Lingard and Rashford. Being great still has levels. The players you keep listing in every post are getting chances to play regularly. Some of these guys are struggling (and will do at some point). They are young guys and still have some way to go to become the full package. With Iwobi I don't really see him as the problem, the system is the problem. He is a #10 which is currently what Ozil is doing very well. He has all that is required. With more games and not being shackled by the presence of Alexis he will be fine. Greatness takes time. Don't be a prisoner of the moment.
Have to disagree there, maybe you are talking about potential, but Iwobi hasn't shown to be better on the field of play. He's a bit part player for Arseanal and just does the basics when he's on while Rashford is actually an impact player. I don't agree with Lingard either.

But that said, we should allow these boys to grow, Arsene still gives Iwobi chances regardless of his play so that's good for him, and hopefully he takes those chances and improves and gains the confidence to actually try things like he does when he plays for the SE.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Blukyt wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Blukyt wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Against West Brom, Ozil did not play. Why did Iwobi not use it as his opportunity to shine like a thousand stars?
Blukyt
Egg
Egg

Post by Blukyt »

maceo4 wrote:
Blukyt wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Blukyt wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Have to disagree there, maybe you are talking about potential, but Iwobi hasn't shown to be better on the field of play. He's a bit part player for Arseanal and just does the basics when he's on while Rashford is actually an impact player. I don't agree with Lingard either.

But that said, we should allow these boys to grow, Arsene still gives Iwobi chances regardless of his play so that's good for him, and hopefully he takes those chances and improves and gains the confidence to actually try things like he does when he plays for the SE.
Yes in terms of potential. I like to judge footballers by taking away their pace. Can they paint or make things happen without their pace as it will diminish in time. Iwobi is more rounded than the Utd boys. Only thing lacking for me is shooting/finishing power and accuracy. With maturity and good health it will all come together. Yes he is a player that needs to be free to express himself. SE affords him this and my hope is that he can do this at Arsenal. He showed this when he initially broke into the 1st team. I fully believe in the kid.
Last edited by Blukyt on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blukyt
Egg
Egg

Post by Blukyt »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Blukyt wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Blukyt wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Against West Brom, Ozil did not play. Why did Iwobi not use it as his opportunity to shine like a thousand stars?
Players will struggle with form at some point or the other. It is all part of the sport
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Blukyt wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Blukyt wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Blukyt wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Yes in terms of potential. I like to judge footballers by taking away their pace. Can they paint or make things happen without their pace as it will diminish in time. Iwobi is more rounded than the Utd boys. Only thing lacking for me is shooting/finishing power and accuracy. With maturity and good health it will all come together. Yes he is a player that needs to be free to express himself. SE affords him this and my hope is that he can do this at Arsenal. He showed this when he initially broke into the 1st team. I fully believe in the kid.
I hear you, I don't know what happened but in his first season he was always asking for the ball, he wanted it all the time even get frustrated if you didn't give it to him, even with the big boys like Sanchez (always made me chuckle). I really loved that boldness about him, he wanted to show what he can do, but that has seemed to all but disappeared this season.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

The SE players are not doing badly in their clubs. The team is greater than the sum of it's parts. The clubs they play for currently may not be the best but they are getting playing time and improving. There is a strong desire by the players to make the WC squad and I see the team exploding in Russia.
I am happy
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

I wish ALL of our players the very best. Shame on those of you disparaging them, while expecting them to SERVE and ENTERTAIN you.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."