CHAN Eagles - Final list

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
CHAN Eagles - Final list

Post by truetalk »

Goalkeepers: Ikechukwu Ezenwa (Enyimba FC); Oladele Ajiboye (Plateau United); Theophilus Afelokhai (Enyimba FC)

Defenders: Osas Okoro (Rangers International); Daniel James Itodo (Plateau United); Kalu Orji Okogbue (Rangers International); Ikouwem Utin (Enyimba FC); Abdullahi Musa (Wikki Tourists); Timothy Danladi (Katsina United); Ifeanyi Nweke (Kano Pillars); Stephen Eze (Kano Pillars)

Midfielders: Ifeanyi Ifeanyi (Akwa United); Rabiu Ali (Kano Pillars); Augustine Oladapo (Enyimba FC); Ekundayo Ojo (Sunshine Stars)

Forwards: Emeka Atuloma (Rivers United); Anthony Okpotu (Lobi Stars); Eneji Moses (Plateau United); Ibrahim Mustapha (Enyimba FC); Emeka Ogbuh (Rivers United); Sunday Faleye (Akwa United); Nura Muhammed (El-Kanemi Warriors); Okechukwu Gabriel (Akwa United)

http://dailypost.ng/2018/01/02/super-ea ... full-list/
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: CHAN Eagles - Final list

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Rabiu Alli try sha, he's been repping us at the local level for a long time but we rarely ever talk about him. :clap: :clap: :clap:
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

kai even these homebased squads they no value midfielders.

How can you take 4 midfielders to a tournament.

These people never learn.
Polly
Egg
Egg

Post by Polly »

vancity eagle wrote:kai even these homebased squads they no value midfielders.

Ahhh...midfield is overrated ke! Is it not just a transition from defence to attack? Anybody fit play am nau?
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Polly wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:kai even these homebased squads they no value midfielders.

Ahhh...midfield is overrated ke! Is it not just a transition from defence to attack? Anybody fit play am nau?
Salisu must be an apostle of the Amodu (no disrespect, RIP) school of 'midfield is overrated'.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Rabiu Ali again?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

With very poor preparations for this tourney and with defensive stalwart Lekan Adeleye out due to a broken toe, Nigeria is stuck with the central defensive duo that conceded 4 from the hapless Ghanaians in the WAFU CHAN finals last year.

We still have literally all the characters that played on the team and were below average, including Anthony Okpotu who could hit a barn door even if it stared him in the face. Not to mention the old man, Rabiu Alli, who is pushing close to 40.

Nigerians should be prepared for another failure here. I suspect we'll go 3 and out - I hope I am wrong.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Basically the same team that lost to Ghana in the WAFU final. Hopefully they have improved.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

These LCs are a joke. Only 4 midfielders. :lol:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

bret- hart wrote:These LCs are a joke. Only 4 midfielders. :lol:
Na today you know? The team na paddy paddy team :lol: :lol:
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

bret-hart,

Are you criticizing the way the players are listed or are you criticizing the number of players selected for the position? If it is the latter, then you are incorrect. There are no less than 7 players on that list who actually play in the midfield or forward positions. In essence, it appears you are not aware of the players and the positions that they play. Even some, like Osas Okoro listed in the defense can actually play in the midfield. So also is Eneji listed as a forward.

A closer read of the list shows that only players who play either in DM or CM positions are listed as midfielders. The wide midfielders are listed with the forwards.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Otitokoro wrote:The more things change, the more they stay the same.

With very poor preparations for this tourney and with defensive stalwart Lekan Adeleye out due to a broken toe, Nigeria is stuck with the central defensive duo that conceded 4 from the hapless Ghanaians in the WAFU CHAN finals last year.

We still have literally all the characters that played on the team and were below average, including Anthony Okpotu who could hit a barn door even if it stared him in the face. Not to mention the old man, Rabiu Alli, who is pushing close to 40.

Nigerians should be prepared for another failure here. I suspect we'll go 3 and out - I hope I am wrong.

Otitokoro,

I hope you are wrong as well. TBH, I believe that preparations have not been strong as was the case in the past. That actually is the very reason why it may be best that the team is kept together than simply inject too many new faces. Unfortunately, what this team has is many new faces!!

Therefore, you are wrong with the highlighted observations above. I wish you are correct. Here are the details, 13 of the listed players on this thread are NEW!! Guess what, 8 players from the WAFU Cup are not listed!!

Only Stephen Eze is a returning central defender. Gone are Adeleye (You correctly noted) and Ariwachukwu. Only three defenders from the WAFU Cup squad are listed.

NEW ON THIS LIST
Theophilus Afelokhai
Kalu Orji
Ikouwen Udoh
Abdullahi Musa
Timothy Danladi (CD)
Ifeanyi Nweke
Augustine Oladapo
Ekundayo Ojo
Emeka Atuloma
Ibrahim Mustapha
Emeka Ogbuh
Sunday Faleye
Nura Mohammed

AT WAFU, BUT NOT LISTED
Emma Ariwachukwu
Hafiz Aremu (transferred out of Nigeria)
Destiny Ashadi (injured)
Chima Akas (transferred out of Nigeria)
Lekan Adeleye (injured)
Kingsley Eduwo
Friday Ubong
Last edited by Enugu II on Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Enugu II wrote:
bret-hart,

Are you criticizing the way the players are listed or are you criticizing the number of players selected for the position? If it is the latter, then you are incorrect. There are no less than 7 players on that list who actually play in the midfield or forward positions. In essence, it appears you are not aware of the players and the positions that they play. Even some, like Osas Okoro listed in the defense can actually play in the midfield. So also is Eneji listed as a forward.

A closer read of the list shows that only players who play either in DM or CM positions are listed as midfielders. The wide midfielders are listed with the forwards.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Even the teenage lefty Nura Mohammed can play in midfield....
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

That team collapsed in the final.

Didn't think they conceded a goal until the finals. The had beaten the same Ghana 2:0 in the same tourney.

They conceded late in the first half (the first ever goal they let in) and never could quite regain the momentum.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

Enugu II wrote:
bret-hart,

You are right. The main eagles lists have this also.
yes o
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:

Otitokoro,

I hope you are wrong as well. TBH, I believe that preparations have not been strong as was the case in the past. That actually is the very reason why it may be best that the team is kept together than simply inject too many new faces. Unfortunately, what this team has is many new faces!!

Therefore, you are wrong with the highlighted observations above. I wish you are correct. Here are the details, 13 of the listed players on this thread are NEW!! Guess what, 8 players from the WAFU Cup are not listed!!

Only Stephen Eze is a returning central defender. Gone are Adeleye (You correctly noted) and Ariwachukwu. Only three defenders from the WAFU Cup squad are listed.

NEW ON THIS LIST
Theophilus Afelokhai
Kalu Orji
Ikouwen Utim
Abdullahi Musa
Timothy Danladi (CD)
Ifeanyi Nweke
Augustine Oladapo
Ekundayo Ojo
Emeka Atuloma
Ibrahim Mustapha
Emeka Ogbuh
Sunday Faleye
Nura Mohammed

AT WAFU, BUT NOT LISTED
Emma Ariwachukwu
Hafiz Aremu (transferred out of Nigeria)
Destiny Ashadi (injured)
Chima Akas (transferred out of Nigeria)
Lekan Adeleye (injured)
Kingsley Eduwo
Friday Ubong
Man you try.
Me I don taya for Nigerians and their emotional outbursts.
People don't even remember to check the facts before they 'lose it'.

Reminds me of my landlady back in my Housemanship year in Abeokuta. There was a problem with water so my flatmate climbed to check the tank on the roof and accidentally dislodged an old plastic tank which crashed to the ground. The landlady - big madam - heard the crash, ran out into the compound and started rolling on the ground in despair, thinking my friend had fallen.

We were telling her that the guy had climbed down and was okay and was even standing beside her as she was rolling and wailing. She no hear. It was so embarrassing.
She finally picked herself up off the ground when he spoke to her at close quarters, praising God. :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
chuks69
Egg
Egg

Post by chuks69 »

Walahai... ... just 4 Mfs? Maybe a 4-2-4 formation is anticipated. Wing forwards playing the roles of wingers... Our LCs are too naïve...
afc##
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

chuks69 wrote:Walahai... ... just 4 Mfs? Maybe a 4-2-4 formation is anticipated. Wing forwards playing the roles of wingers... Our LCs are too naïve...
Did you read through the post below the thread opener that debunked the little to no midfielders narrative? Or it doesn't fit your narrative?

Please do so especially Enugu's response and adjust your post accordingly.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Home Eagles Players Unhappy With CHAN Preparation
https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/h ... eparation/
0 January 4, 2018 2:58 pm
Home Eagles Players Unhappy With CHAN Preparation

By Adeboye Amosu: Home-based Super Eagles players are unhappy with the handling of their preparation for the African Nations Championship (CHAN) in Morocco, Completesportsnigeria. com reports.

The team was expected to jet out to Rabat , Morocco this Wednesday for the final lap of their preparation for the biennial competition designed for players plying their trade in their countries’ domestic leagues but are still in the country and are now unaware of the new travel date.

Two of Nigeria’s Group C opponents, Rwanda and Libya, have set up camp in Tunisia ahead of the competition.

Rwanda will play tune-up games against Sudan, Namibia and Algeria before their opening group game against Nigeria on January 15 in Tangier.

Libya, who won the competition in 2014, drew 1-1 with Jordan in Amman in a pre-CHAN friendly game last December and are looking to play at least one more tune-up game before leaving for Morocco.

Rwanda and Libya also participated in the CECAFA Senior Challenge Cup last November as part of their preparation for CHAN 2018.

Salisu Yusuf’s charges only began camping early December ahead of the Nigeria Professional Football League invitational tournament in Kano and have engaged lower league and amateur clubs in friendly games.

“We don’t know when we will be travelling to Morocco for the training tour anymore. I doubt it if our coaches are aware too,” one of the players disclosed to Completesportsnigeria.com on the condition of anonymity.

“Other countries in our group are playing top quality friendlies and are training outside their country to get acclimatized with the weather in Morocco but we are not doing the same.”

Another player who spoke to Completesportsnigeria. com also expressed his concern over the team’s preparation.

“Our job is to play and give our all on the pitch but when things don’t go right in terms of preparation, it’s not good for us. If we look at what the countries in our group are doing, one won’t feel happy,” the player said.

“Whatever the situation, we will do our best in Morocco, but we must learn to do things right.”

CHAN will start on January 13 and end on February 4.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Cellular wrote:

Didn't think they conceded a goal until the finals. The had beaten the same Ghana 2:0 in the same tourney.

They conceded late in the first half (the first ever goal they let in) and never could quite regain the momentum.
You would think we lost in the first round the way critics ganged up on this team list. One would have thought continuity and player improvement since the loss to Ghana would have played a part in the team selection. Looks like people are saying throw that team away for losing in the finals and build another that would win CHAN! But then here we are on CE...as Robby would say..a damn..whatever :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

oloye wrote:
Cellular wrote:

You would think we lost in the first round the way critics ganged up on this team list. One would have thought continuity and player improvement since the loss to Ghana would have played a part in the team selection. Looks like people are saying throw that team away for losing in the finals and build another that would win CHAN! But then here we are on CE...as Robby would say..a damn..whatever :lol:

:rotf: :rotf: I hope say you get copyright permission from Robbynice ooo. If you no get I'm go let you know say: "It is a damn shame, if you ask me" signed Robbynice.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:
bret-hart,

For me the issue is neither of both. It is more about the quality of the talents or lack thereof...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Eagles fly out to Morocco on Monday
http://www.thenff.com/2018/01/eagles-fl ... on-monday/
By The NFF
Save
Updated: January 7, 2018
NPFLMD27

Nigeria’s trophy –hunting Home-based Senior Team will fly out of the country on Monday night for the 5th African Nations Championship taking place in Morocco, 13th January – 4th February 2018.

A few days ago, Head Coach Salisu Yusuf named a 23 –man team to fly Nigeria’s flag at the finals, where the 2014 bronze medallists will play 2014 champions Libya, Rwanda and Equatorial Guinea in Group C.

Team Administrator, Dayo Enebi Achor told thenff.com at the weekend that the delegation will fly aboard a Turkish Airline flight from the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, and connect Rabat from Istanbul on Tuesday morning.

“The team will train for a few days in Rabat before heading to Tangier on Friday, 12th January,” Achor explained to thenff.com.

The Ikechukwu Ezenwa –captained squad will take on Rwanda (hosts of the last edition of the competition two years ago) at the Stade Ibn Batouta on Monday, 15th January, starting from 7.30pm (8.30pm Nigeria time), before games against Libya at the same venue on Friday, 19th January (starting from 4.30pm; 5.30pm Nigeria time) and Equatorial Guinea in Agadir on Tuesday, 23rdJanuary (starting 7pm Morocco time; 8pm Nigeria time).

Nigeria failed to qualify for the final competition of the first two editions of the CHAN, losing to Ghana in 2008 (ahead of Cote d’Ivoire 2009) and beaten on aggregate by Niger Republic in 2010 (ahead of Sudan 2011).

The Class of 2014 led by Stephen Keshi (of blessed memory) qualified after edging Cote d’Ivoire 4-3 on aggregate, and then finished third in South Africa.

In 2015, the team coached by Sunday Oliseh also defeated Burkina Faso to qualify for the finals, but lost out at group phase in the finals in Rwanda few months later.

To reach the finals this time, Salisu Yusuf’s wards edged Benin Republic 2-1 on aggregate.