The truth about SE preparation for Zambia

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
The truth about SE preparation for Zambia

Post by Enugu II »

It is amazing that most of us on CE are playing the Ostrich when our NT is in serious financial problem as it prepares for the World Cup qualifier in Zambia. Some are quickly dismissing any negative financial news as JJ.

Please take a few seconds and visit the goal.com Nigeria site. It reports on Amaju Pinnick's visit to the House of Assembly. Amaju confirms what many have dismissed as JJ. Players having to purchase own flight tickets. Arik charter on standby but no money to pay Arik at this time. There other somber news, folks. Let's quit the Ostriching.
Pinnick on Financial Problems (my headline)
Oct 5, 2016 10:53:36
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/17252/su ... ID=HP_HN_2

The Super Eagles may not prosecute Sunday’s qualifier against the Chipolopolo as the NFF boss claims the body is financially incapacitated

President of the Nigeria Football Federation, Amaju Pinnick has admitted that the Super Eagles are attending Sunday's Fifa 2018 World Cup qualifier against Zambia in Ndola due to financial challenges.

After refuting early claims on this, the NFF boss told the senate committee on sports that the body need government intervention to prosecute the game.

"The draw was done for 20 teams that we qualify for the final phase of the World Cup and Nigeria was drawn against Zambia, Cameroon that has won the Nations Cup and attended the World Cup seven times," Pinnick said.

"Algeria is the highest rank team in Africa. Is a group that goes beyond the group of death. The good news is that we have sound technical crew and a lot of players doing well.

"But the missing link is our financial incapacitation which activates all we do on and off the field.

"Before now we have done a request to government for intervention because funds were not coming from our sponsors because it is been very difficult for them so they claimed and so we did not have any choice than to resort to writing to the government.

"So we are awaiting a response from them and the game is just in five days. We've put all arrangement on ground already.

"We have discussed with Arik to go on a chartered flight and we are also about sending somebody to Ndola because there is a new hotel we have secured in Ndola but we could not pay for it.

"We have been about to secure about 60 rooms but we could not buy their ticket because we own our traveling agent about 300 million naira.

"So there is no way we could get it and we have to request the players to come with economy tickets in reflection of what is happening to our economy and eighty percent of them obliged our request," he concluded.
Last edited by Enugu II on Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The truth about SE preparation for Zambia

Post by txj »

What concerns me here is the extent to which Pinnick is willing to go in playing the game of financial chicken. Same thing he did wrt to the Olympics team...

This game and the entire WCQs have been on the calendar for a while now; what was his contingency for raising funds in the absence of govt funds?
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

We all know that Nigeria is dead broke . what is it that u want us to do? The players aren't complaining and are infect busting their tail as we speak. Move on bro.
OCCUPY NFF!!
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Pinnick is risking being lynched in the streets.
He better quit while he can, as he is clueless about running the football federation.
Nothing will piss most Naijas off more than not qualifying for the WC due managerial
incompetence.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Mankinka
Egg
Egg

Post by Mankinka »

We are waiting for you. After Sunday we do not want any excuses. Nigeria is awash with money I am not buying all this stuff about financial difficulties.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Is it all Pinnick or money is not coming from the ministry/govt?
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Mankinka wrote:We are waiting for you. After Sunday we do not want any excuses. Nigeria is awash with money I am not buying all this stuff about financial difficulties.
Awash with money? Really! Why don't you come get some for yourself? :rotf:
OCCUPY NFF!!
damekadon
Egg
Egg

Post by damekadon »

I dont get it. If you cannot manage an organization and generate needed revenue, you should be relieved of your position. Can we just get a consulting firm to manage the NFA?
Musician wey go sing for deaf and dumb reunion don miss road.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I have been through this so many times, I am not shocked any more.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote:What concerns me here is the extent to which Pinnick is willing to go in playing the game of financial chicken. Same thing he did wrt to the Olympics team...

This game and the entire WCQs have been on the calendar for a while now; what was his contingency for raising funds in the absence of govt funds?
The man is just his own worst enemy. When he was lying against and fighting the Sports Minister (and the VP) during the Olympics debacle did he not know that the WCQ has been scheduled? When he hired a Foreign Coach did he not know he had no money? He does so many things that you wonder why he does what he does.

He is running out of people to blame for his own failings. But I doubt if it will stop him from finding someone to blame.

Anyway, they are hoping to turn this into an emergency so that it will present an opportunity to chop. Maybe get another Presidential Taskforce.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:What concerns me here is the extent to which Pinnick is willing to go in playing the game of financial chicken. Same thing he did wrt to the Olympics team...

txj,

TBH, I am deeply concerned about these issues. While a lot of it is not caused by Pinnick, he is responsible for making some questionable choices with the little funds that he had. Moreover, he blew opportunities to raise funds when one recalls the shirt sponsorship deal with Nike.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Despite all these our players still play and win? Dudes are heroes through and through. Nobody should dare question our players and their commitment. In a nation where it is okay for a Petroleum Minister to cart away more oil money than Donald Trump's real estate worth, in a country where it is normal for legislators to pad budgets for personal gain, where legislators get N100m monthly as "running costs", where Governors treat State funds like their personal account, Local Government chairmen run a financial empire, the Army Chief owns several choice property in Dubai, AND WE CANNOT FLY OUR NATIONAL TEAM TO ZAMBIA?
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Obong wrote:Despite all these our players still play and win? Dudes are heroes through and through. Nobody should dare question our players and their commitment. In a nation where it is okay for a Petroleum Minister to cart away more oil money than Donald Trump's real estate worth, in a country where it is normal for legislators to pad budgets for personal gain, where legislators get N100m monthly as "running costs", where Governors treat State funds like their personal account, Local Government chairmen run a financial empire, the Army Chief owns several choice property in Dubai, AND WE CANNOT FLY OUR NATIONAL TEAM TO ZAMBIA?
You are talking about a history.

What of today?

We voted for change. And change does come with consequences. They don't want known criminals and criminal enterprises to be doing business as usual. And the criminals will keep trying...

They have mastered the art of blackmail. They are using the National team as the battleground... Olympics, now WCQ.
If you don't comply they take you to FIFA or worse, make sure you don't qualify...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Enugu II wrote:

txj,

TBH, I am deeply concerned about these issues. While a lot of it is not caused by Pinnick, he is responsible for making some questionable choices with the little funds that he had. Moreover, he blew opportunities to raise funds when one recalls the shirt sponsorship deal with Nike.
I have asked this before and the person that raised it starting babbling gibberish. Can you share with us the details of the Nike contract so we can all see how opportunities to raise funds with the deal was squandered? Thanks in advance as you oblige.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

txj,

I have asked this before and the person that raised it starting babbling gibberish. Can you share with us the details of the Nike contract so we can all see how opportunities to raise funds with the deal was squandered? Thanks in advance as you oblige.
Don't know the details but the execution of the contract leaves a lot to be desired. Some of the issues that NFF is experiencing could have been accommodated in the contract.

BTW, he, Pinnick negotiated it himself when there were alternatives that required competent people to do the negotiations on behalf of the NFF. He got what he asked for... sometimes, if you don't know what to ask for, don't blame the people who give you what you ask for. Even attorneys use other attorneys whose expertise is contract negotiation to negotiate contracts. ITK when it comes to dealing with large corporate bodies is not a good thing. They are not in business to tell you what is good for you.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

txj,

1naija,

You should know that the actual deal is never shared on the pages of newspapers. It makes no sense to request for it here. What should be enough, for those who care, is the defense that the President of the NFF puts up for signing the deal as well as the questions surrounding the deal from those who may have access. That should be enough for any perceptive analyst to evaluate the deal as it pertains to a team like the Super Eagles. You surely can google Nike and the Super Eagles to find Pinnick's defense and the questions raised about the deal. To help with that, you may want to search around the month of April 2015.
Last edited by Enugu II on Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Mankinka wrote:We are waiting for you. After Sunday we do not want any excuses. Nigeria is awash with money I am not buying all this stuff about financial difficulties.
MIND GAMES. :idea: :taunt:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Enugu II wrote:
1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

txj,

1naija,

You should know the actual deal is never shared on the pages of newspapers. It makes no sense to request for it. What should be enough for those who care is the defense that the President of the NFF puts up for signing the deal as well as about the questions surrounding it. That should be enough for any perceptive analyst to evaluate the value of the deal as it pertains to a team like the Super Eagles. You surely can google to Nike and the Super Eagles to find that defense by Pinnick and the questions raised about it. To help with that you may want to search around the month of April 2015.
Our deal with Nike was chosen solely based on Pinnick's love for the brand. Not based on financial incentives or nothing like that... rumours are that we make next to nothing from this deal. Honestly having a hard time believing this man is a rational adult with the capacity to make decisions for himself.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

niyi wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

txj,

1naija,

You should know the actual deal is never shared on the pages of newspapers. It makes no sense to request for it. What should be enough for those who care is the defense that the President of the NFF puts up for signing the deal as well as about the questions surrounding it. That should be enough for any perceptive analyst to evaluate the value of the deal as it pertains to a team like the Super Eagles. You surely can google to Nike and the Super Eagles to find that defense by Pinnick and the questions raised about it. To help with that you may want to search around the month of April 2015.
Our deal with Nike was chosen solely based on Pinnick's love for the brand. Not based on financial incentives or nothing like that... rumours are that we make next to nothing from this deal. Honestly having a hard time believing this man is a rational adult with the capacity to make decisions for himself.
KPOM. That is the general belief and Pinnick's activity indicates his love for "shiny" rather than substantive things. For instance, he reportedly broke off any serious discussion with an emerging company like Under Armour for a uniform deal. Of course, Under Armour has no "bling bling" image like Nike, at least at the moment.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Enugu II wrote:
1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

txj,

1naija,

You should know that the actual deal is never shared on the pages of newspapers. It makes no sense to request for it here. What should be enough, for those who care, is the defense that the President of the NFF puts up for signing the deal as well as the questions surrounding the deal from those who may have access. That should be enough for any perceptive analyst to evaluate the deal as it pertains to a team like the Super Eagles. You surely can google Nike and the Super Eagles to find Pinnick's defense and the questions raised about the deal. To help with that, you may want to search around the month of April 2015.
So you don't know for a fact if the deal was good, bad or what we deserve given our current standing in world soccer. As you know Nike is not a charity company so they have to make deals based on the returns they will get. Even the staunchest SE fan will admit that the brand is not the most lucrative brand in the world. So on what basis should the Nike deal have been different? Is it the huge SE jersey sales record in Nigeria and across the world? We must be realistic about our status.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Mankinka
Egg
Egg

Post by Mankinka »

Damunk wrote:
No mind games at all Nigerians are swimming in it. :rotf: :rotf:

One only needs to attend a Nigerian function to see how affluent our Nigerian brethren and sistern are
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Mankinka wrote:
Damunk wrote:
No mind games at all Nigerians are swimming in it. :rotf: :rotf:

One only needs to attend a Nigerian function to see how affluent our Nigerian brethren and sistern are
Funds or no funds, the pussycats will be given a smack down..nonsense and ingredients..
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
1naija wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

txj,

1naija,

So you don't know for a fact if the deal was good, bad or what we deserve given our current standing in world soccer. As you know Nike is not a charity company so they have to make deals based on the returns they will get. Even the staunchest SE fan will admit that the brand is not the most lucrative brand in the world. So on what basis should the Nike deal have been different? Is it the huge SE jersey sales record in Nigeria and across the world? We must be realistic about our status.
I do not know that any one knows for a FACT, not even Pinnick who did the deal would. What you do know is that there is a likelihood that the deal is good or bad based on indices like previous deal signed by the team, comparison deals reported for other NTs, etc. Those are usually how such deals are evaluated.

The Nike deal includes very little financial contribution. It is largely based in-kind or goods delivered. For an NT like Nigeria the barest minimum is to require not only goods given in kind but also cash payment annually. Pinnick does not deny any of those requirements, BTW. Instead, his argument is that Nigerian soccer was at such a low ebb and had much uncertainty around it that he got the best deal possible. However, most people disagree with his analysis of what is possible because there are NTs out there with lower profile that get cash as part of those deals. Moreover, the adidas deal reported severally here on CE and elsewhere had monetary value attached annually. Thus it is those type of comparisons that help in judging the deal.
Last edited by Enugu II on Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.