Tributes pour in for Guinea legend Papa Camara

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Tributes pour in for Guinea legend Papa Camara

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

RIP
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Rest in peace to the great Papa Camara.
What a player!
The legendary Hafia handed me my first football heartbreak in 1975.
Guineans scared the living daylights out of us nigerians with the names Bangouras, Syllas and Keitas.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

mcal wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
mcal wrote:...his club beating Rangers in '75 was the saddest day of my life. I refused to eat for some time.
Did you also starve after the Bendel Insurance thrashing?
...that was local challenge cup, but Rangers did retaliate, abi? Beat Bendel few years later.

Back in those days, Challenge Cup no be joke ooo. To get beaten 3-0 in the final was a major catastrophe.
Mankinka
Egg
Egg

Post by Mankinka »

RIP to a Guinean and African Legend. Go well Mr Camara.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

RIP and PEACE to his family members
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Goldleaf wrote:Rest in peace to the great Papa Camara.
What a player!
Guineans scared the living daylights out of us nigerians with the names Bangouras, Syllas and Keitas.
YES! Hafia of Guinea, they were good, very good indeed.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Odas wrote:
What a player!
Enugu Rangers were their wife. Papa and Musa Camara and Benga Isilya had Rangers in their back pocket anyday. Rangers had several husbands in the 1970s and 80s, including Police of Senegal, Bendel Insurance and Canon Sportif (Although Rangers did beat the latter to win the Cup Winners Cup in 77)
gmoni1
Egg
Egg

Post by gmoni1 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:(1) What a player Papa Camara was
(2) In the 1970s, he, Musa Camara and Bengar Isilya were the fastest front trip in African football
(3) They were comparable to say Salah, Mane and Firmino today
(4) In 1975 Camara’s Club Hafia of Guinea beat Enugu Rangers in Lagos to lift the African Champions League
(5) Back then, Guinea was a giant in African football
(6) Their two leading clubsides Haifa and Horoya were continental giants
(7) Papa Camara will always be remembered by Super Eagles fan for his near goal at Lagos during the 1982 World Cup qualifiers
(8) It is sad that today Guinea is no longer the power it once was
(9) Guinea is one country long overdue for a World Cup appearance
(10) I hope Keita and co qualify for Qatar 2022 as a tribute to Camara. RIP Great icon!
I was a kid in living in Guinea and Papa Camara, Petit Sorie, Bangale Sillah, Osman Tolo were a class of footballers..
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Odas wrote:
What a player!
Enugu Rangers were their wife. Papa and Musa Camara and Benga Isilya had Rangers in their back pocket anyday. Rangers had several husbands in the 1970s and 80s, including Police of Senegal, Bendel Insurance and Canon Sportif (Although Rangers did beat the latter to win the Cup Winners Cup in 77)
How? If NFA had allowed the match to be played in Enugu , I believe Rangers would have won. Rangers gave Hafia a tough game in Conakry.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Makanaky
Egg
Egg

Post by Makanaky »

Baller from Guinea Conakry! Man from Guinea Conakry! You blazed a trail Papa Camara. You where loved and revered well beyond the borders of Guinea! Rest in perfect peace Papa Camara!
Nkono, Kunde, Massing, Tataw, Ebwelle , Pagal,Mbida, Mfede, Mbouh,Makanaky,Kana-Biyik,Oman-Biyik, Ekeke, Milla,.....Too Strong to be Intimidated, Too Stong to be defeated! Indomitable!!!! Marc Viven-Foe R.I.P!!!
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

by someone .........."How? If NFA had allowed the match to be played in Enugu , I believe Rangers would have won. Rangers gave Hafia a tough game in Conakry"............

Actually Rangers refused NFA surprise decision to play the match in Lagos, and would not go to Enugu airport to fly to Lagos. NFA hurriedly sent a telegram to Enugu asking Rangers to pay it some money so they can play the match in Enugu to which Rangers refused. We left the Rangers Sports Hall and headed home. Later heard that 'CAF" stepped in asking Rangers in the name of Goodwill to fly to Lagos.
If you think corruption & wishing bad luck to people started today, think again.