Best left back to ever come out of Africa

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Best left back to ever come out of Africa

Post by bamenda boy »

Who will you guys pick? I think Wome at his prime was second to non.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Best left back to ever come out of Africa

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

As long as it's not football related then, Yes - wome is the best ever. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:As long as it's not football related then, Yes - wome is the best ever. :laugh:

JJ Okocha!
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

not that i'm counting or anything but you have to hold the record for threads opened in the wrong forum.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

We were fortunate to have at the same time Wome on the left and Song on the right.
Okocha10
Egg
Egg

Post by Okocha10 »

Ogolo Makambo wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:As long as it's not football related then, Yes - wome is the best ever. :laugh:

JJ Okocha!
The man was a magician, he probably would have excelled in that position too. :taunt:
<b> EGBON MEKUS OF CYBEREAGUS</b>
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

camex wrote:We were fortunate to have at the same time Wome on the left and Song on the right.

right back was LAUREN, not Song.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
camex wrote:We were fortunate to have at the same time Wome on the left and Song on the right.

It was Song until after ANC 2000 when Wenger turned him into a wing back. I believe it was a mistake. He was more effective as a midfielder
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

camex wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

It was Song until after ANC 2000 when Wenger turned him into a wing back. I believe it was a mistake. He was more effective as a midfielder

No Sir,. At ANC 2000, Lauren was right back, where he tag-teamed with Geremi to molest Babayaro, the opposing left/wingback.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Okocha10 wrote:
Ogolo Makambo wrote:

JJ Okocha!
The man was a magician, he probably would have excelled in that position too. :taunt:
:thumbs: :thumbs:
Whenever we played Nigeria, he was always defending. The best player to ever come out of Nigeria if we don't count goals.
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
camex wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

No Sir,. At ANC 2000, Lauren was right back, where he tag-teamed with Geremi to molest Babayaro, the opposing left/wingback.
No Geremi was right back. Lauren played in front of him
It was Wenger who turned him into a wing back.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

Ogolo Makambo wrote:
Okocha10 wrote:
Ogolo Makambo wrote:

JJ Okocha!
Whenever we played Nigeria, he was always defending. The best player to ever come out of Nigeria if we don't count goals.
Okocha's Appearances at Nations Cup = 5 (1994, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006)
The Entire Country of Kenya's Appearances at Nations Cup = 5 (1972, 1988, 1990, 1992, 2004)

Total Goals Scored by Okocha across 5 Nations Cup tournaments: 7
Total Goals Scored by The Entire Country of Kenya across 5 Nations Cup tournaments: 8

Looking at these statistics, I am disappointed that politics denied Nigeria a chance to participate in the 1996 and 1998 Nations Cups. Had we gone to these tournaments, the statistics for Okocha by himself would have far outweighed those of the entire country of Kenya. :)

PS: What happened between 1988 and 1992? It is like this was the <ahem> golden age of the Kenyan football. Granted, you didn't make it out of the group phases in any of those three tournaments, but still, it was an impressive run .... by East African standards.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

The Eagle wrote:
Ogolo Makambo wrote:
Okocha10 wrote:
Ogolo Makambo wrote:

JJ Okocha!
The Entire Country of Kenya's Appearances at Nations Cup = 5 (1972, 1988, 1990, 1992, 2004)

Total Goals Scored by The Entire Country of Kenya across 5 Nations Cup tournaments: 8

Looking at these statistics, I am disappointed that politics denied Nigeria a chance to participate in the 1996 and 1998 Nations Cups. Had we gone to these tournaments, the statistics for Okocha by himself would have far outweighed those of the entire country of Kenya. :)

PS: What happened between 1988 and 1992? It is like this was the <ahem> golden age of the Kenyan football. Granted, you didn't make it out of the group phases in any of those three tournaments, but still, it was an impressive run .... by East African standards.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I always look forward to reading from you! You really know how to put your thoughts together so well even though your arguments always fall short. :taunt: Excuses, excuses, excuses! After Mandela turned down that briefcase full of Naira from Abacha, we knew your dictator would throw tantrums and boycott the Nation's cup in RSA! As for Kenya it's all politics! Btw, we recently won CECAFA cup. Uganda was eliminated by either Burundi or Zanzibar. One of those tiny countries. Hard to remember.
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Best left back to ever come out of Cameroon

Post by Undertaker »

I have corrected your title................... Yes, Wome it is!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

Ogolo Makambo wrote:
The Eagle wrote:
Ogolo Makambo wrote:
Okocha10 wrote:
Ogolo Makambo wrote:

JJ Okocha!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I always look forward to reading from you! You really know how to put your thoughts together so well even though your arguments always fall short. :taunt: Excuses, excuses, excuses! After Mandela turned down that briefcase full of Naira from Abacha, we knew your dictator would throw tantrums and boycott the Nation's cup in RSA! As for Kenya it's all politics! Btw, we recently won CECAFA cup. Uganda was eliminated by either Burundi or Zanzibar. One of those tiny countries. Hard to remember.
You see, this is how you failed KCPE. Kenya could have added an additional appearance had they hosted like they were supposed to in 1996 .... instead of failing and opening the door for CAF to switch the tournament to South Africa. Unlike Mandela, I doubt Abacha would have had a falling out with Daniel Arap Moi. Basically, Kenya cost us a trophy (or two) and cost Yekini (RIP) a chance to hold the goals record between Pokou and Eto'o. :curse:

No wonder we went on a binge of thrashing Kenya 3-0. Vengeance, unlike sukuma wiki, is best served cold. :clap:
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Wome was good but he could be an absolute brute. I witnessed one katakata this guy got into with Salgado of Real Madrid. It was just back and forth with the two of them just kicking each other when they had the chance. Wome eventually was sent off

He was great when he was playing footballl. The best for me though is the Ghana man at Juventus
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
globalinksnn
Egg
Egg

Post by globalinksnn »

celestine babayaro
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

:agree:
globalinksnn wrote:celestine babayaro
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

YUJAM wrote:Wome was good but he could be an absolute brute. I witnessed one katakata this guy got into with Salgado of Real Madrid. It was just back and forth with the two of them just kicking each other when they had the chance. Wome eventually was sent off

He was great when he was playing footballl. The best for me though is the Ghana man at Juventus
Kwadwo Asamoah is not a left back. he is a Left midfielder or Left Defensive Midfielder. It is true that he has played as a left back on a few occasions.

The best left back from Africa at the moment plays for Napoli, Faouzi Ghoulam. He is incredible.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Ifeanyi Udeze is clearly the best ever :thumbs:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Not many memorable names come to mind but one who does is Celestine Babayaro.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Babayaro or Ben Iroha
kastro11
Egg
Egg

Post by kastro11 »

We had an ace LB who would have been great - Mohamed Abdelwahab. He had a heart defect though and passed away aged 22 during training. Was the best LB during the 2006 ACN and our best defender. Had he not passed away, he would have 100+ caps and played for a top club in Europe. Absolutely no doubt.

Lauren was great. Could play LB just as well as RB.