Ndidi is in a league of his own in the EPL

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

waka-man
Egg
Egg
Ndidi is in a league of his own in the EPL

Post by waka-man »

Check out these stats:
https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top ... tal_tackle
I know we know it, but it’s worth a conversation after yesterday’s masterclass.
He’s got over 30% more tackles than the next best guy, almost 50% more than the great Kante.
I’m not a hyper, but it’s time to hype this guy. Within the year he’ll probably become the most expensive player in African history.
And in the World Cup, maybe, just maybe, he’ll be the rock on which we build our house.
Exciting times.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Ndidi is in a league of his own in the EPL

Post by Bigpokey24 »

:roll:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Like I have been saying, and some people were arguing with me, he is our best midfielder! He is on a completely separate level!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Well PSG had guys at bridge to watch him and Kante but e be like the Arab people want him but French connection pushing for Kante
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

You guys should chill with the overhype. Ndidi is a decent dm but he needs to add more qualities to his game. He used to scored screamers every season but hasn’t scored any this season. He also needs to add some attacking qualities to his game and become a box to box dm as opposed to pure dm
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

john12 wrote:You guys should chill with the overhype. Ndidi is a decent dm but he needs to add more qualities to his game. He used to scored screamers every season but hasn’t scored any this season. He also needs to add some attacking qualities to his game and become a box to box dm as opposed to pure dm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Statistically, Ndidi is the best DM in the league. Nothing you can do about that. Absolutely nothing! :D
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

john12 wrote:You guys should chill with the overhype. Ndidi is a decent dm but he needs to add more qualities to his game. He used to scored screamers every season but hasn’t scored any this season. He also needs to add some attacking qualities to his game and become a box to box dm as opposed to pure dm
I’m not a hyper.
Neither do I just a player by “screamers”.
I look at the stats that underpin great teams. With how well teams protect the ball these days, being able to win the ball has never been more important. Over more than half the season, one person is outperforming everyone is the league by a country mile.
If he was German we for no hear word.
Give the guy the credit he’s due
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

waka-man wrote:
I’m not a hyper.
Neither do I just a player by “screamers”.
I look at the stats that underpin great teams. With how well teams protect the ball these days, being able to win the ball has never been more important. Over more than half the season, one person is outperforming everyone is the league by a country mile.
If he was German we for no hear word.
Give the guy the credit he’s due

No need, bro. After this summer (by God's grace, health and WC performance), a huge club will give credit where its due. :D

Like I told Yujam, if there is one position i know better than any other position, its the DM position.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Actually Ndidi has the best stats in all five top leagues.
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

Decent, is how you describe someone with those stats. Bros, na wa for you. There is something you are struggling with. I pray, you get over whatever it is.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

That stat doesn't mean much. It could just be that his team has been under pressure more. Or they rely on him to do more defensive work

Anyway this is probably the more meaningful stat

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top ... terception
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

YUJAM wrote:That stat doesn't mean much. It could just be that his team has been under pressure more. Or they rely on him to do more defensive work

Yujam, the beauty of stats and analysis is that your outputs can often warn you that your thinking is flawed.
If interceptions were more important than tackles (which I have to say Yujam, would be odd as interceptions are more dependent on opposition mistakes than tackles but hey!)... if they were more important, the stats would mean that this list of players (interception leaders):
1. Christopher Schindler
2. Nacho Monreal
3. Yohan Cabaye
4. Zanka
5. Steven Defour

Were better than this list (tackles leaders)
Wilfred Ndidi
Idrissa Gueye
Aaron Mooy
N'Golo Kanté
Pablo Zabaleta

Which you are free to do, but you'd be on your own. Perhaps you follow american basketball were steals are so important. In football, tackling without fouling is so much more important than interceptions, that is doesn't warrant a debate.

As for team being under pressure, again, a tiny bit of googling would help you not make that point. In possession stats, Leicester are comfortably in the top half:
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier ... bewerb/GB1

Lets raise the standard of our punditry here.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

YUJAM wrote:That stat doesn't mean much. It could just be that his team has been under pressure more. Or they rely on him to do more defensive work

My analysis and opinion is based on watching his performance.

I only rely on stats, because I recognize that, unlike my opinion, stats are facts and can hardly be challenged.

Trust me, Sir, Ndidi is one of the two best defensive midfielders in the league. His stats are also much better than the other guy (Kante).
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

I believe you guys are misquoting me. I didn’t say ndidi isn’t a good player or doesn’t have the potential to become world class. All I said is that we should reduce the hyping of ndidi. He is obviously a good player but calm down with they hype. The ndidi of gent and Leicester was more of a cm than this present ndidi. I need ndidi to be scoring screamers like he used to do previously. It seems to me like you guys are comfortable with just a “pure dm” (ndidi) well, I’m not. Ndidi has the potential to be like yaya Toure and we have to encourage him to become that great Cm/box to box dm
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

I will stand by my word that this ndidi just wins balls and pass it to the next man. I want the old ndidi scoring world class goals and attacking like an animal
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

john12 wrote:I believe you guys are misquoting me. I didn’t say ndidi isn’t a good player or doesn’t have the potential to become world class. All I said is that we should reduce the hyping of ndidi. He is obviously a good player but calm down with they hype. The ndidi of gent and Leicester was more of a cm than this present ndidi. I need ndidi to be scoring screamers like he used to do previously. It seems to me like you guys are comfortable with just a “pure dm” (ndidi) well, I’m not. Ndidi has the potential to be like yaya Toure and we have to encourage him to become that great Cm/box to box dm
Is the Ndidi of Leicester different from the Ndidi of Leicester? :lol:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

john12 wrote:I will stand by my word that this ndidi just wins balls and pass it to the next man. I want the old ndidi scoring world class goals and attacking like an animal
I think you have the right to stand by your words. But those of us who have seen him make outrageous passes against Argentina for our 2nd goal (?) and also saw his 70 yard assist some games ago, just smile. :D
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Again anyone can attempt a tackle. The key us wining tackles.
waka-man wrote:

Yujam, the beauty of stats and analysis is that your outputs can often warn you that your thinking is flawed.
If interceptions were more important than tackles (which I have to say Yujam, would be odd as interceptions are more dependent on opposition mistakes than tackles but hey!)... if they were more important, the stats would mean that this list of players (interception leaders):
1. Christopher Schindler
2. Nacho Monreal
3. Yohan Cabaye
4. Zanka
5. Steven Defour

Wilfred Ndidi
Idrissa Gueye
Aaron Mooy
N'Golo Kanté
Pablo Zabaleta

Which you are free to do, but you'd be on your own. Perhaps you follow american basketball were steals are so important. In football, tackling without fouling is so much more important than interceptions, that is doesn't warrant a debate.

As for team being under pressure, again, a tiny bit of googling would help you not make that point. In possession stats, Leicester are comfortably in the top half:

Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

You’ve really not done your work on this have you? That’s ok, but then why engage in a debate?
The tackles stat is for successful tackles. You seem to be mistaking it for interceptions which is about cutting out a pass without it being in a challenge.
I love debates, but without proper background it’s disrespectful on people’s time.
YUJAM wrote:Again anyone can attempt a tackle. The key us wining tackles.
waka-man wrote:

1. Christopher Schindler
2. Nacho Monreal
3. Yohan Cabaye
4. Zanka
5. Steven Defour

Wilfred Ndidi
Idrissa Gueye
Aaron Mooy
N'Golo Kanté
Pablo Zabaleta

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Really? 8-) Where does it say successful tackle?

In my view a tackle can be unsuccessful. For example a tackle can result in a foul.

Look at this stat where Ndidi has second highest no of fouls

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/fouls

Don't get me wrong. Ndidi is pure class. But this tackle stat doesn't tell the story about his standing among EPL DMs
waka-man wrote:You’ve really not done your work on this have you? That’s ok, but then why engage in a debate?
The tackles stat is for successful tackles. You seem to be mistaking it for interceptions which is about cutting out a pass without it being in a challenge.
I love debates, but without proper background it’s disrespectful on people’s time.
YUJAM wrote:Again anyone can attempt a tackle. The key us wining tackles.
waka-man wrote:

1. Christopher Schindler
2. Nacho Monreal
3. Yohan Cabaye
4. Zanka
5. Steven Defour

Wilfred Ndidi
Idrissa Gueye
Aaron Mooy
N'Golo Kanté
Pablo Zabaleta

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Ndidi is a good player; more importantly, he is improving steadily.

He is not in the top echelon of DMs, YET. Hopefully he will be in next year or thereabouts...

Luckily he has a manager who is a teacher and he will improve, because he both understands and fits into the tactical scheme of his club.

Sadly one cannot say the same for his two compatriots...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

If he can add more offensive capabilties to his game, he can go on and become a genuinely world class player ala Frank Rijkaard.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

We need to chill, Ndidi is good and deserves to be on a better team. Let’s not overhype too much, he is still growing and like his own coach said he’s working on improving the offensive side of his game. I mean the boy is only 21 he still has a long way to go in this game and I think he will be an elite baller.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!