Cyrille Regis dead at 59

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Cyrille Regis dead at 59

Post by Prince »

Damunk wrote:
Prince wrote:
realtrouble wrote:Cyrille, was one of my early football hero and one of the few black faces on Tiger and Roy of the Rovers comics, but his main achievement was his battle against racism (Racist fans, football management and the racist media).

It was a horrendous period in football and the like of Cyrille and many others lay the foundation for many black footballers and managers in the UK and all over the world.
It was? and it is still is...I keep hearing it has improved bloody liars......
Prince, to say racism in football hasn't improved since the days of Cyril Regis is to be ignorant of what the UK was like in the 60s and 70s.
Of course its nowhere near good enough but let's keep things in proper perspective.
If you want to know what racism in the UK (and in its football) was like before you came over, send me a polite PM and I will fill you in. :D
12 year old boy racially abused?
Eni Aluko cannot play for England again despite being top scorer.........as CIC will say they have just become more sophisticated.
Racism is racism you have to explain early to your kids now and guess what we are still being told to put your head down and get on with it. Which was what Brewster was told to do
Oya back to the matter
open and close
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Prince wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Prince wrote:
realtrouble wrote:Cyrille, was one of my early football hero and one of the few black faces on Tiger and Roy of the Rovers comics, but his main achievement was his battle against racism (Racist fans, football management and the racist media).

It was a horrendous period in football and the like of Cyrille and many others lay the foundation for many black footballers and managers in the UK and all over the world.
Prince, to say racism in football hasn't improved since the days of Cyril Regis is to be ignorant of what the UK was like in the 60s and 70s.
Of course its nowhere near good enough but let's keep things in proper perspective.
If you want to know what racism in the UK (and in its football) was like before you came over, send me a polite PM and I will fill you in. :D
People get racially abused every day. But to say things haven't improved is unacceptable. You did not live in that era so it's easy for you to make that comment. The days when they used to have "No Irish, no blacks and no dogs" sign on doors of pubs etc. It's unfortunate that people are still getting racially abused. You just can't get rid of hate. But things have definitely improved.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Prince wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Prince wrote:

Eni Aluko cannot play for England again despite being top scorer.........as CIC will say they have just become more sophisticated.
Racism is racism you have to explain early to your kids now and guess what we are still being told to put your head down and get on with it. Which was what Brewster was told to do
"Cannot play again..."
That, right there, is the difference.

Back in the day she would never get to play for England in the first place. FULL STOP.
And that is NOT saying things are now honkey dorey, but you can't keep misspeaking in an attempt to keep the conversation going because you lose credibility.

I grew up in the UK as a child/near-adolescent and know what I experienced. I also heard what my parents experienced first hand. My kids are nowhere near going through that, but that is not to say racism isnt still there. Without a doubt, it is.

My father told us stories of how he and his friends used to walk around with 'werepe' in their pockets as protection.
You know what that is, right? :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

R.I.P Cyrille. One of the players I always looked out for in the days of "Shoot" magazine.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Damunk wrote:
Prince wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Prince wrote:

"Cannot play again..."

Back in the day she would never get to play for England in the first place. FULL STOP.
And that is NOT saying things are now honkey dorey, but you can't keep misspeaking in an attempt to keep the conversation going because you lose credibility.

I grew up in the UK as a child/near-adolescent and know what I experienced. I also heard what my parents experienced first hand. My kids are nowhere near going through that, but that is not to say racism isnt still there. Without a doubt, it is.

My father told us stories of how he and his friends used to walk around with 'werepe' in their pockets as protection.
The days when 3 players stood out like sore thumb and they were the extreme few. Now clubs paid 97m for a black player and the English team has a fair number of black players. A lot of people gave their life for the cause, Cyril included and I'm sure he would have admitted things are a lot better now compared to his days. This is one of the tributes we can pay to him and not our off the cuff opinions
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Damunk wrote:
Prince wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Prince wrote:

"Cannot play again..."

Mate I wasnt born during that period again i accept that overt racism has reduced but they have become more sophisticated and am not buying this well it has improved narative by the press.
Not to diminish Regis accomplishments or what he had to go through but am not letting them get away with things have improved. I just hate their hypocrisy

Anyway let us not spoil the tribute thread of a great player and person
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Dammy wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:We have come a long way. Do you that it was not until 1978 that a black first player featured for England. Up until then, it was official not to play them as they were not "English enough." Players like Regis and Anderson suffered unbelievable racism, which we can only imagine today.
Viv Anderson went to 2 WCs, 1982 & 1986 without getting to kick the ball at either tournaments

I know, even John Barnes, only got a few minutes in 86 despite being one of the stalwarts of the team in the qualifiers. It was not until 1990 that England really felt relaxed about using black players.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Regis received a bullet in the post when he 1st appeared for England.

[/video]
http://www.naijiant.com/
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Prince wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Prince wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Prince wrote:

"Cannot play again..."

Mate I wasnt born during that period again i accept that overt racism has reduced but they have become more sophisticated and am not buying this well it has improved narative by the press.
Not to diminish Regis accomplishments or what he had to go through but am not letting them get away with things have improved. I just hate their hypocrisy

Anyway let us not spoil the tribute thread of a great player and person
Yes, we all hate the hypocrisy but that bitterness should not blind you to what has changed and what hasn't.
You might wish to call it window dressing but the difference is that you today have a degree of protection you once upon a time never would have had.

There is a whole generation of white Britons that have been brought up to think about racism and how wrong it is and that in itself has had an impact. Not eveyone is going to buy into it but a significant percentage of the white British poulation now knows that racism is wrong. Whether you are willing to admit it or not, it is a fact.

The kind of racial abuse I went through in primary school here, my kids would NEVER have gone through it in their own generation. It was so bad that most black African kids my age at the time even changed their names in school just to reduce the ridicule.

Now, most of today's African kids are proud of their African heritage and flaunt it. Just last week I was asking my daughter her opinion on the matter and she confidently said that it is because it makes her "different".
Now if that is not progress, then I don't know what is.

If you want, we can start a thread of our experiences as children in the UK and US back in the day and how our experiences back then are so different from what our kids are experiencing today.

And yes, even in the parks playing football for our schools, it was there too. So this is still in line with paying tribute to a great player that walked the walk and his pain and sacrifice have not been in vain.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

RIP Cyrille Regis he lay the path that many have followed.
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Couldn't agree more. One wonders what effect the bananas may have had on Adebayor?

Cyril's legacy will live on. Few can turn such vitriol into fuel for their engine. 59 is far too soon and should send a tremor through the population. Who knows the length of string, do that one can to keep its length lengthy and fill it's every inch with great experiences.

Go well brave Soldier, those battles of back then, have played their part in a 100 million pound Pogba today.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Giant of a man, humble to the core, turns on the power that leaves others gasping and struggling, the heroes of "Star Soccer" in the 70s, recognised everywhere he went as a true gentleman.
What a man!
Rest in peace, big Cyrille Regis.
Totally gutted.
59 is far too young to go. :sad:
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

RIP
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

cic old boy wrote:Regis received a bullet in the post when he 1st appeared for England.

[/video]

After that goal, the West Brom fans started a chant for him:

Nice one Cyril
Nice one son
Nice one Cyril
Let's have another one

I believe that was the first time a black player was appreciated by English fans. he was a pioneer in every sense of the word!
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Sir Alf Ramsey made it clear that he would never feature black players in his team. It was not until Ron Greenwood became manager in 1977 that the embargo was lifted.
I didnt know this, so the highly touted Alf Ramsey was nothing but a racist, like his player...Geoff Hurst

Must admit, I only heard of Cyril Regis in bits and pieces growing up, but seeing the tributes to the man and what I have read about him, it is far to early for him to depart this world.
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

May he RIPP.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

RIP Cyrille Regis.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.