Belgian-Born Midfielder appointed as new captain of Sparta

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Belgian-Born Midfielder appointed as new captain of Sparta

Post by iworo »

Belgian-Born Midfielder Who Wants To Play For Nigeria Appointed Sparta

Belgian-born Nigerian midfielder Ryan Sanusi has been appointed the new captain of Dutch Eredivisie side Sparta Rotterdam.

Manager d#$% Advocaat confirmed at a press conference on Monday that central defender Michel Breuer has lost the captain's armband to Sanusi.

The Belgian-Nigerian was the third captain of the team, behind Breuer and goalkeeper Roy Kortsmit in the first half of the season.

Sanusi joined Sparta Rotterdam from Willem II in 2015 and helped the club gain promotion to the top-flight in his first season; he has suited up 76 times in all competitions for the oldest club in the Netherlands.

He will lead his teammates, including Nigerian striker Fred Friday, when they enter the pitch in Tuesday's home game against Vitesse.

The 26-year-old is targeting a place in Nigeria's 23-man 2018 World Cup roster.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=26189
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg
Re: Belgian-Born Midfielder appointed as new captain of Spar

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Na wa....before you know it ..we will be like Morocco ..I ain't hating though. These boys are getting wiser.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

He’s not good enough to make SE C team let alone go to Russia.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Benedict Iroha wrote:Na wa....before you know it ..we will be like Morocco ..I ain't hating though. These boys are getting wiser.
That's what I said, they said...but aren't they all Nigerians.

It has NOTHING to do with their nationality. I am questioning if somebody can lay claim to a team if all they do to that team is tweak it. If the Europeans laid the foundation for 90% of your team, and all you do is assign a coach, is it really your team? And let us not forget that the last 10% may very well even be European as well; it could be a Euro handler!

It is not who they are or what they look like (the detractors should know), for me the question is WHAT was and WHO invested in them.

It doesn't become an issue if there is dilution, if we are assuming the bulk of responsibility. But Europeans have assumed the bulk of the responsibility then these are not really national teams, they are glorified club sides, albeit ones with national flags and badges.

Even club sides for that matter have regulations pertaining to home grown footballers.

When people respond to some of my posts, you would think I was speaking a language from another galaxy. The concepts I am referring to are ALREADY instilled even in European football! It has not really become an issue for them in terms of the national side, because well, none of them have ever had that problem. But certainly in the club terrain they have laws for that.

National FAs have their rules, and even UEFA have theirs as well! If you want to claim to be a representation of SOMETHING you MUST have a homegrown element, otherwise you are just a representation of ANYTHING. It cannot be about allegiance.

But this is the argument side of things, there is also the natural order way of looking at things. If Nigeria was a country with a decent sporting system, we would NEVER arrive at this juncture ANYWAY, even without the opinions and the regulation! The natural order of things would mean, that we would NEVER be bombarded with too many players that aren't homegrown. If we are (and I am not saying we are, but getting close to), it would suggest that Nigeria as a nation is failing.

Today Europe has about 4 times Nigeria's population, in another 33 years it will only be twice our population! So you begin to see that just logically speaking (not based on any ideological position), this is an anomaly. How can a relatively small Diaspora, rival or (God forbid) dominate one of the largest football clusters in human history? It makes no rational sense.

I am not against the inclusion, I am just scratching my head at the numbers.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I haven't even adjusted for footballing age brackets.

By 2050 we could have the largest pool of raw talent in the entire world to choose from. when factoring the age structure and also interest in the sport.

Brazil, India, China, USA etc. none of them would have a bigger raw talent pool than us. China would have about 100 million more in the raw basket, but factoring for interest we would be ahead. At that point, Brazil wouldn't even be close.

Alright India would have about 300 million more in the basket, but interest in the sport might put us ahead.

Going by current interest levels 83% in Nigeria and 30% in China and India, I have actually managed to do the math and Nigeria would potentially have the largest football basket in the ENTIRE WORLD, slightly pipping India! Interest in China and India is growing, but we still have room for growth as well.

And you are telling me that this cluster should somehow be dominated by a Diaspora? Madness.

Well I could also have used the participation rate, but the proportions would produce the same result, Nigeria at the top in 2050.

Based on pure logic we should be winning a World Cup in my lifetime with the bast majority being homegrown talent, anything short of that amounts to COMPLETE failure of the Nigerian sporting system.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

I brought his name up few year ago, He is a good player but we have better players ahead of him in the middle.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

Tbite wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:Na wa....before you know it ..we will be like Morocco ..I ain't hating though. These boys are getting wiser.
That's what I said, they said...but aren't they all Nigerians.

It has NOTHING to do with their nationality. I am questioning if somebody can lay claim to a team if all they do to that team is tweak it. If the Europeans laid the foundation for 90% of your team, and all you do is assign a coach, is it really your team? And let us not forget that the last 10% may very well even be European as well; it could be a Euro handler!

It is not who they are or what they look like (the detractors should know), for me the question is WHAT was and WHO invested in them.

It doesn't become an issue if there is dilution, if we are assuming the bulk of responsibility. But Europeans have assumed the bulk of the responsibility then these are not really national teams, they are glorified club sides, albeit ones with national flags and badges.

Even club sides for that matter have regulations pertaining to home grown footballers.

When people respond to some of my posts, you would think I was speaking a language from another galaxy. The concepts I am referring to are ALREADY instilled even in European football! It has not really become an issue for them in terms of the national side, because well, none of them have ever had that problem. But certainly in the club terrain they have laws for that.

National FAs have their rules, and even UEFA have theirs as well! If you want to claim to be a representation of SOMETHING you MUST have a homegrown element, otherwise you are just a representation of ANYTHING. It cannot be about allegiance.

But this is the argument side of things, there is also the natural order way of looking at things. If Nigeria was a country with a decent sporting system, we would NEVER arrive at this juncture ANYWAY, even without the opinions and the regulation! The natural order of things would mean, that we would NEVER be bombarded with too many players that aren't homegrown. If we are (and I am not saying we are, but getting close to), it would suggest that Nigeria as a nation is failing.

Today Europe has about 4 times Nigeria's population, in another 33 years it will only be twice our population! So you begin to see that just logically speaking (not based on any ideological position), this is an anomaly. How can a relatively small Diaspora, rival or (God forbid) dominate one of the largest football clusters in human history? It makes no rational sense.

I am not against the inclusion, I am just scratching my head at the numbers.
It makes sense
It was inevitable really...
Normal migration trends would have increased the pool of the diaspora pool of footballers slightly but with the massive economic migration of Nigerians in the last 30 years this number has increased exceptionally.
If the Nigerian league does not improve drastically over the next 20 years the third generation of diasporans WILL most definitely dominate the Super Eagles in years to come
YNWA
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Funny how so many players are coming out of the woodwork - wanting to play for Nigeria AFTER the team already qualified for the WC...
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

wiseone wrote:Funny how so many players are coming out of the woodwork - wanting to play for Nigeria AFTER the team already qualified for the WC...
I really don't know what is funny about it. We want all Nigerian teams, regardless of which sport, be attractive enough for any one with a trace of Naija blood have desire representing the country. If the SE is hip, successful and well managed, I think it's a BIG plus our "born abroad" want to represent
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:He’s not good enough to make SE C team let alone go to Russia.
Oga Emir, please have you seen him play before? If so, do you not think he should come and compete for a place (position) to be in Russia?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

We have to live with the changing demographics of Nigeria, If we have 20m diasporans worldwide and they have children, the reality is that these kids will be eligible to play for Nigeria.

I see no difference between a footballer born in Brussels and one born in Lagos. Why should one be discriminated against? Did they chose where they were born?
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

wiseone wrote:Funny how so many players are coming out of the woodwork - wanting to play for Nigeria AFTER the team already qualified for the WC...
It's not only funny, but it makes me wonder where they (the players and their interests) were during the qualifiers
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

pajimoh wrote:
I really don't know what is funny about it. We want all Nigerian teams, regardless of which sport, be attractive enough for any one with a trace of Naija blood have desire representing the country. If the SE is hip, successful and well managed, I think it's a BIG plus our "born abroad" want to represent
True, but where were they during the qualifiers? Didn't they know the qualifiers were going on? Why did they not crash into the SE's camp if they are so interested in playing for Nigeria? It is funny because suddenly, they now know they are Nigerians.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

If he's a DM/CM, then we probably don't need him, we have many of those. If he's an AM, Rohr should at least watch clips of him to see if he's worth trying out in a friendly.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Odas wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
True, but where were they during the qualifiers? Didn't they know the qualifiers were going on? Why did they not crash into the SE's camp if they are so interested in playing for Nigeria? It is funny because suddenly, they now know they are Nigerians.

Some of you are totally unbvelievable. Do you just invite yourself to camp?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Odas wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
There was a story posted here since March of last year where he made intentions known. But putting that to the side, why does it matter where he was during qualifiers? Its not like he refused a SE call up during the qualifiers. The coach never looked his way and you don't just gate crash a WC qualifier, that ludicrous, this is how you do it by trying to get the coaches attention and there is nothing wrong in doing that. Maybe the coach didn't know his intention or didn't know he was available for selection, but he is saying hey if you think a player like me can help your team I am available. There's nothing wrong in that, its now up to Rohr to decide what he needs to prosecute a successful world cup, sentiments aside his job is what is on the line.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Odas wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

Some of you are totally unbvelievable. Do you just invite yourself to camp?
Pot to Kettle....my bad couldn't resist :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

But yea, that's quite asinine...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

If I am a player that played all the qualifiers and then lose my place to a guy that has never shown interest in playing for Nigeria until after Nigeria qualified from the hardest WC qualifying group in African history...I will not be thrilled.
Odas wrote:
It's not only funny, but it makes me wonder where they (the players and their interests) were during the qualifiers
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

wiseone wrote:If I am a player that played all the qualifiers and then lose my place to a guy that has never shown interest in playing for Nigeria until after Nigeria qualified from the hardest WC qualifying group in African history...I will not be thrilled.
Odas wrote:

Take your anger out on the coach who did not invite him for the qualifiers. Or do you have any evidence to prove that these players were invited and shunned Rohr's invitation?
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Only reason you would lose your place to him is if he is much better than you are. If he's not, then you need not worry.
Point is: if you were a starter during the qualifying series, you pretty much have stamped your passport to be on the team. Its those that didn't contribute much to the campaign that need be worried.
wiseone wrote:If I am a player that played all the qualifiers and then lose my place to a guy that has never shown interest in playing for Nigeria until after Nigeria qualified from the hardest WC qualifying group in African history...I will not be thrilled.
Odasi wrote:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Odas wrote:
Not that I think he should be invited, but he didn't just now start showing interest, this (http://goldenclassics.cybereagles.com/v ... 1&t=279305) was posted in March of last year, and he's been mentioned here 6/7 years ago by Patrick...
Super Eagus 4 Life!