Rohr at loggerheads with NFF over Chile friendly

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Next
Egg
Egg
Rohr at loggerheads with NFF over Chile friendly

Post by Next »

Apparently Rohr does not buy into the SE playing a friendly against Chile nine days before their encounter against Croatia in the FWC. Already SE will be playing six warm up matches before their opening game and Rohr does not see the need for another extra game. His reason is that he wants to keep his team injury free..

http://punchng.com/rohr-at-loggerheads- ... -friendly/

"Gernot Rohr is allegedly at loggerheads with the Nigeria Football Federation over the proposed friendly against Chile ahead of the Super Eagles’ trip to Russia for the 2018 World Cup.

Nigeria, who begin their Russia 2018 campaign against Croatia at the Kaliningrad Stadium in Kaliningrad on June 16, have already secured six warm-up games ahead of the tournament.

The NFF announced last week that the three-time African champions would play Poland (March 23), Serbia (March 27), DR Congo (May 28), England (June 2) and Czech Republic (June 6) before hitting Russia to make their six appearance at the world football showpiece.

President of the federation Amaju Pinnick said the team would face a South American opponent in a friendly affair before the world’s football showpiece.

Our correspondent learnt on Tuesday that the NFF had allegedly sealed a friendly against back-to-back Copa America champions Chile, who failed to qualify for Russia 2018.

The source said the encounter had been fixed for Austria on June 9, despite reports the NFF was speaking to World Cup-bound Morocco.

However, it was learnt that Nigeria manager Rohr is not comfortable with his team playing a warm-up game nine days to their World Cup opener against Croatia.

Sources close to the NFF claimed that while the national football governing body is insistent on the encounter, Rohr is against it.

“The coach is against playing Chile when his World Cup squad would have been announced – and allowing them to play a match nine days before the match against Croatia,” an NFF source, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak about the issue publicly, told our correspondent.

“But the federation wants him to play the match because of its benefits.

“I’m not sure the Eagles will play the game because the federation would not want to be seen as interfering in the coach’s plans for the World Cup.”

The source added, “I think the coach is correct because the national team will play a game (against England in London) on June 2 and another one (against Czech Republic in Austria) four days later."

Gernot Rohr

Festus Abu

Gernot Rohr is allegedly at loggerheads with the Nigeria Football Federation over the proposed friendly against Chile ahead of the Super Eagles’ trip to Russia for the 2018 World Cup.

Nigeria, who begin their Russia 2018 campaign against Croatia at the Kaliningrad Stadium in Kaliningrad on June 16, have already secured six warm-up games ahead of the tournament.

The NFF announced last week that the three-time African champions would play Poland (March 23), Serbia (March 27), DR Congo (May 28), England (June 2) and Czech Republic (June 6) before hitting Russia to make their six appearance at the world football showpiece.

President of the federation Amaju Pinnick said the team would face a South American opponent in a friendly affair before the world’s football showpiece.

Our correspondent learnt on Tuesday that the NFF had allegedly sealed a friendly against back-to-back Copa America champions Chile, who failed to qualify for Russia 2018.

The source said the encounter had been fixed for Austria on June 9, despite reports the NFF was speaking to World Cup-bound Morocco.

However, it was learnt that Nigeria manager Rohr is not comfortable with his team playing a warm-up game nine days to their World Cup opener against Croatia.

Sources close to the NFF claimed that while the national football governing body is insistent on the encounter, Rohr is against it.

“The coach is against playing Chile when his World Cup squad would have been announced – and allowing them to play a match nine days before the match against Croatia,” an NFF source, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak about the issue publicly, told our correspondent.

“But the federation wants him to play the match because of its benefits.

“I’m not sure the Eagles will play the game because the federation would not want to be seen as interfering in the coach’s plans for the World Cup.”

The source added, “I think the coach is correct because the national team will play a game (against England in London) on June 2 and another one (against Czech Republic in Austria) four days later.”

But spokesman for the NFF Ademola Olajire denied any rift between the federation and Rohr over any friendly game.

The football chief, who said Chile were among the South American teams being considered for a friendly game against the Eagles, declined any further comments on the national team.

Copyright PUNCH.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH. "
TERRORISM is the WAR of the POOR while WAR is the TERRORISM of the RICH!

The Best Quotes For Me So Far: "I was born here but brought up as an African. When you reach adulthood you either feel African or you don't, and it's not worth playing if you don't have that feeling." Efan Ekoku
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rohr at loggerheads with NFF over Chile friendly

Post by Eaglezbeak »

We have a 22 man squad so if it has to happen he’ll have to shuffle the squad dramatically but that isn’t a problem as long as the first 11 aren’t thoroughly involved and remember you can make up to 6 substations in international friendlies.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Eaglezbeak wrote:We have a 22 man squad so if it has to happen he’ll have to shuffle the squad dramatically but that isn’t a problem as long as the first 11 aren’t thoroughly involved and remember you can make up to 6 substations in international friendlies.
23 man squad
I am happy
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Eaglesbreak this is Nigeria for goodness sake 1 poor performance from his bench team and it’s going to be criticism from the entire nation. Even 6 friendlies are too much for a team like us that heavily relies on certain players
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

If we are going to play a game on June 9, it should be in Russia against a team also at the World Cup. I can understand them wanting to play a South American team so they should speak to Colombia, Uruguay or Peru.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

They should allow the coach to decide. I think the six matches already scheduled is enough. The planned match for June 9 is NOT nine days; but SEVEN, considering our first game is on the 16th. Like coach Rohr, I am concerned about injuries and tiredness. We need to be FRESH, very fresh when the tournament commences and we need to win our first game (we will by the way) to have the tournament result (group stage) roll in our favor
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

1. Too many friendlies as it is.
2. The team needs to be fresh.
3. Playing Chile is a tough friendly.

4. Chile has a poor defense that struggles to move the ball from the back. A. Vidal has to go back and help them move the ball from the back then go score. if he doesn't play, there is no Chile. The explosive 9ja will beat them, if they press them up high. Tactically, Nigeria don't need the game.

5. Most importantly, you never, ever, want to play a strong team so close to the World Cup. Injuries, morale, e.t.c. Brazil takes it even further, they play only weak teams before a World Cup. I was even surprised they played England. The financial incentives must have been very great and the game was months away from June.

6. Rohr is right but the NFF, erred on the side of caution. Schedule as many friendlies as you can and cancel the ones that do not benefit you.
7. I hope the NFF listen because we don't want to hear any excuses .... :-)

EDIT: I posted with one eye closed :lol:
Last edited by Kabalega on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

6 matches is too much. 5 is ok. These guys are not robots.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Kabalega wrote:1. Too many friendlies as it is.

4. Chile has a poor defense that struggles to move the ball from the back. A. Vidal has to go back and help them move the ball from the back then go score. if he doesn't play, there is no Chile. The explosive 9ja will beat if they press them up high. Tactiaclly, Nigeria don't need the game.

5. Most importantly, you never, ever, want to play a strong team so close to the World Cup. Injuries, morale, e.t.c. Brazil takes it even further, they play only weak teams before a World Cup. I was even surprised they played England. The financial incentives must have been very great and the game was months away from June.

6. Rohr is right but the NFF, erred on the side of caution. Schedule as many friendlies as you can and cancel the ones that do not benefit you.
Kai, for the first time - to the best of my knowledge - I am agreeing with Chief Kabalega. Thanks chief! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Last edited by Odas on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Dammy wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:We have a 22 man squad so if it has to happen he’ll have to shuffle the squad dramatically but that isn’t a problem as long as the first 11 aren’t thoroughly involved and remember you can make up to 6 substations in international friendlies.
23 man squad
Ok,thanks we’ve not been to a major tournament for a while I forgot the obvious.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

john12 wrote:Eaglesbreak this is Nigeria for goodness sake 1 poor performance from his bench team and it’s going to be criticism from the entire nation. Even 6 friendlies are too much for a team like us that heavily relies on certain players
I agree but if we are to play Chile 9 days before we play Croatia then starting our first 11 just to get a result could back fire considering it’s a game of two halves.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

The 9 days are better spend calibrating the tactics we’re going to use vs Croatia. Playing a 6th game is a waste of time, I suspect some match agents are trying to make money. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Odas wrote:

4. Chile has a poor defense that struggles to move the ball from the back. A. Vidal has to go back and help them move the ball from the back then go score. if he doesn't play, there is no Chile. The explosive 9ja will beat if they press them up high. Tactiaclly, Nigeria don't need the game.

Kai; for the first time I can remember, I am agreeing with Chief Kabalega. Thanks chief! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I agree with him too. The good Kabalega is a Cybereagle asset. The bad one... Let's just not go there.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

if Nigeria doesnt work; dont forget CE is a microcosm of Nigeria
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

:agree: but u r 3 points short.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

For all we know this might well be fake news.
For some reason I find it hard to believe that the NFF is "insisting" while Rohr is "against it", putting them "at loggerheads".

Worst case, they are (or were) in the process of arranging it and Rohr is saying its not really necessary.

But toilet paper must sell.... :P
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

eyan wrote:

:agree: but u r 3 points short.
Abeg, let Ayo help me out here. :D

Anyway....

8. If this game goes ahead, Chile will play their younger squad as the likes of Aturo will want to rest their bodies for their clubs. Unless the organizers insist.

9. If 9ja plays Chile, Rohr should play only his bench warmers but the cost to morale will be too great.

10. Ideally you want a team that is well rested, injury free, relaxed and loose; beaming with confidence but also sharp and ready to go at the sound of the whistle.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

4. Chile has a poor defense that struggles to move the ball from the back. A. Vidal has to go back and help them move the ball from the back then go score. if he doesn't play, there is no Chile. The explosive 9ja will beat them, if they press them up high. Tactically, Nigeria don't need the game.

Why would Chile which is not going to the WC bother fielding a strong squad?
Agree, the game is unnecessary - except if it is in May in Abuja to replace the Congo game.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Gotti wrote:

Why would Chile which is not going to the WC bother fielding a strong squad?
Agree, the game is unnecessary - except if it is in May in Abuja to replace the Congo game.
They would if required by the organizers.

Neymar was not going to play against England but was required to do so by the agreement Brazil signed.

Though, I don't see anyone forcing Aturo Vidal to play this friendly if he didn't want to play it.
He would probably just give them the middle finger and let the Chilean FA take the heat.

Also, Chile would still have a strong team even if Chile they don't play their first eleven.