Nigeria v Serbia is at The Hive in Barnet

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria v Serbia is at The Hive in Barnet

Post by danfo driver »

highbury wrote:Don't forget Nigerians in the UK in general are broke while those in the US have money.
Are you referring to CIC? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

cic old boy wrote:I don buy my ticket. Unless, anyone has a better idea, the usual suspects can meet at Spoons b/4 and after the match.
http://africanspoons.com/
Another alcohol filled day, i see. You no dey taya? :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

i will get my ticket from the ground this week- 10mins drive away
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

danfo driver wrote:Another alcohol filled day, i see. You no dey taya? :rotf: :rotf:
You can wash the glasses afterwards.
http://www.naijiant.com/
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

cic old boy wrote:
danfo driver wrote:Another alcohol filled day, i see. You no dey taya? :rotf: :rotf:
You can wash the glasses afterwards.
Na ice tea be that! :lol: :lol:
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Ticket sales are not going well at all!!! If you on Barnet site you can buy a seat and the site also shows seats already sold and it is not a pretty site. Wondering if I should take the kids with me.... it’s on a school night and it might be very cold.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

cic old boy wrote:I don buy my ticket. Unless, anyone has a better idea, the usual suspects can meet at Spoons b/4 and after the match.
http://africanspoons.com/
That girl no work for the place again o :D :D :D :D Not sure I will bring the kids for this one, school night
Oya back to the matter
open and close
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

How can you organise a match like that on a Tuesday evening and expect it to be sold out?

Erm...sorry, not with local and international bills to pay. Sorry!
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Prince wrote:That girl no work for the place again o :D :D :D :D Not sure I will bring the kids for this one, school night
Make we change venue. Their food wasn't that good and the place far small from stadium. Anyway, unless you have any closer venue, I should be at Spoons around 6pm or earlier.
Okochadman2Nas
Egg
Egg

Post by Okochadman2Nas »

cic old boy wrote:Nice little stadium, but can be quite cold.
see you there Bro
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

cic old boy wrote:
Prince wrote:That girl no work for the place again o :D :D :D :D Not sure I will bring the kids for this one, school night
Make we change venue. Their food wasn't that good and the place far small from stadium. Anyway, unless you have any closer venue, I should be at Spoons around 6pm or earlier.
New Mama Calabar is closer 5 mins drive
Oya back to the matter
open and close
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

This new generation of naija kids in London are not eagles fans. I even heard some naija kids say they went to the Nigeria vs Senegal game at the Hive last year just to watch Mane play. In the early 2000s, we used to play at Charlton Athletic's ground and at Upton Park and always had a full house. Now we can't even fill up the Hive. Unfortunately most of us that were around in the early 2000s have relocated. I bet Wembley will be filled with naija fans for the England game.
yes o
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

papilo wrote:This new generation of naija kids in London are not eagles fans. I even heard some naija kids say they went to the Nigeria vs Senegal game at the Hive last year just to watch Mane play. In the early 2000s, we used to play at Charlton Athletic's ground and at Upton Park and always had a full house. Now we can't even fill up the Hive. Unfortunately most of us that were around in the early 2000s have relocated. I bet Wembley will be filled with naija fans for the England game.
I sent link for one of my paddies to order his ticket he text me back saying no he is only interested in England Vs Nigeria. I have accepted that not everyone feels the same way about the Nigerian football team.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Okochadman2Nas wrote: see you there Bro
:thumbs: :thumbs:
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Prince wrote:New Mama Calabar is closer 5 mins drive
Isn't Spoons about the same distance? If Mama Cal is nearer, we should go there.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Flex Swift wrote: I sent link for one of my paddies to order his ticket he text me back saying no he is only interested in England Vs Nigeria. I have accepted that not everyone feels the same way about the Nigerian football team.
2 of my friends are going to the England game but not the Serbia one. It also helps that the England game is on Saturday.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

cic old boy wrote:
Prince wrote:New Mama Calabar is closer 5 mins drive
Isn't Spoons about the same distance? If Mama Cal is nearer, we should go there.
Mama Cal is nearer
Oya back to the matter
open and close
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

papilo wrote:..... Now we can't even fill up the Hive.
Na your selenge be dat eo. The extreme side of town on a week day.

And you are surprised the game is not well subscribed. :roll:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

papilo wrote:This new generation of naija kids in London are not eagles fans. I even heard some naija kids say they went to the Nigeria vs Senegal game at the Hive last year just to watch Mane play. In the early 2000s, we used to play at Charlton Athletic's ground and at Upton Park and always had a full house. Now we can't even fill up the Hive. Unfortunately most of us that were around in the early 2000s have relocated. I bet Wembley will be filled with naija fans for the England game.
Nigeria - Scotland was well attended. The venue and publicity have not helped.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I still maintain that games like this have to be properly sold to the UK public. You are not going to expect young men and women, youths, mothers to carry themselves to a stadium in Barnett on a cold Tuesday night to watch football.
Meanwhile we have at least FOUR Nigerian TV stations in the UK - Channels TV, TVC News, Nollywood TV and Iroko TV and I can bet you NONE of them have been approached with ads for the game.

Bad timing and bad venue for everyone except die hard soccer fans.
Nigerians will attend properly timed games in large numbers but you just have to make the game 'sexy' to families and women which isn't hard at all.

It wasn't particularly hard for me to get my sisters, daughters, niece and a couple of female friends to attend the game v Italy in ?Fulham some years ago and that was also a cold weekday night. Nigerians are interested but the games have to be properly sold to them.
Assuming they will just turn up is stupid and lazy.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

Damunk wrote:
I still maintain that games like this have to be properly sold to the UK public. You are not going to expect young men and women, youths, mothers to carry themselves to a stadium in Barnett on a cold Tuesday night to watch football.
Meanwhile we have at least FOUR Nigerian TV stations in the UK - Channels TV, TVC News, Nollywood TV and Iroko TV and I can bet you NONE of them have been approached with ads for the game.

Nigerians will attend properly timed games in large numbers but you just have to make the game 'sexy' to families and women which isn't hard at all.

It wasn't particularly hard for me to get my sisters, daughters, niece and a couple of female friends to attend the game v Italy in ?Fulham some years ago and that was also a cold weekday night. Nigerians are interested but the games have to be properly sold to them.
Well, true fans do not care about this which justifies my point that eagles fans are not there anymore. You want to tell me that if we were playing Argentina on the same day at the same venue the stadium won't be full? If the England vs Nigeria game was at the Hive and Nigeria vs Serbia was at Wembley, I am sure we'd have more naija fans at the Hive than in Wembley.
yes o
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

papilo wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Well, true fans do not care about this which justifies my point that eagles fans are not there anymore. You want to tell me that if we were playing Argentina on the same day at the same venue the stadium won't be full? If the England vs Nigeria game was at the Hive and Nigeria vs Serbia was at Wembley, I am sure we'd have more naija fans at the Hive than in Wembley.
Papillo, you may be right, you may be wrong but we wil never know until a proper attempt is made to 'sell' a match.

I remember the Nig v Jamaica games which always seemed to be in the summer season and during the day. It was always a celebration of colour and culture and the only area the Jamaicans outshone us was in the 'babes' dept because their women went 'all out' (in more ways than one) for the game. :D
One of the times we met in a friendly, the game was played somewhere abroad but a huge viewing centre was set up which I attended - it was again packed with Nigerians and Jamaicans.
In France '98, Nigerians full there.... driving overnight back and forth from the UK to the games in France.

My point is, it is premature for you to conclude 'the fans are not there' because it appears these issues are not a problem in the US where they sell these games better and make them family-friendly.
The male dominated UK 'football' culture is very different from the US (family-friendly) 'soccer' culture and to get Nigerians in huge numbers attending football games here needs a marketing rethink. The two societies are different too.
I just think the marketers are not being creative and are not willing to make the required financial outlay.

When the BBC or SKY start their WC TV campaigns and you see how they set the pulses racing with their packaging of the teams, nobody will beg you to start looking for TV schedules or even tickets for your team like a mad man. There have been build-up promos for the Super Eagles done by the BBC in the past that have been absolutely spectacular. Why have we not started doing it for ourselves to sell our team and sell tickets, merchandise etc?. There just seems to be a lack of creativity.

Give me a budget and I will sell the team to Nigerians including your grand mama easy peasy! :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Will be attending the game ! managed to persuade two of my friends to attend. So far I have been content will all the decisions the coach has made with the exception of the selection of Akpeyi this selection alone will garantee 9ja is eliminated in the group stages. If Akpeyi and his people were patriotic they would withdraw from the squad...... instead he using agidi

Outside of Cybereagles I haven’t seen a single advert for this game and the game is a week away