NIGERIA(2) VS ANGOLA(1) FT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mystic
Egg
Egg
Re: NIGERIA(2) VS ANGOLA(1) FT

Post by mystic »

Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:Ezenwa is a good backup for Nigeria.

We need Enyeama back in goal.
Ezenwa will most likely be the starter at the WC. I just do not see Enyeama fit enough to make the WC. Ezenwa has earned it right now. Lets call a spade a spade.
Robby,

Ol'boy it is not easy ooo! The saves Ezenwa made today were ridiculous! Kai, the one he did in the first half diving almost parallel to the bar to save after a defender's error. Then the two quick one and ones against an Angolan attacker. But can he do this again? He possibly can but today some of the saves were simply unreal.

I really was pissed when someone tried to blame him for the goal wondering why he came out. I can only believe the guy who attempted that blame was not watching the game.

His saves today (as good as they were) is what I have come to expect from him. Where I have issues with him is his judgement (both in terms of gauging high balls and decision making). And this is the area of his game that he needs to work on the most ahead of the Mundial.
Mystic,

Agreed as those were the issues in the Algeria/Zambia games. However, today he did well with the crosses and had a heck of an all round game.

In my view, the crosses that he dealt with today weren't the sort that gave him trouble in the past. However he did impress me with his decision making. In one instance when Angola broke from one of our corners; a through ball found a streaking Angolan striker zooming towards our goal past the halfway line with no defender within 10 yards of him (a situation very similar to the 2nd goal that we conceded against South Africa).

Now the Ezenwa that I know would have rushed out in a rash manner to close the space and perhaps make that last ditch effort to save the situation (Again, ala the South Africa game where Akpeyi rushed out and attempted to foul the breakaway player). But in this case he stayed calm, and allowed the nearest Nigerian defender to close down the Angolan striker to the point where the striker was forced to shoot. To be fair, the Angolan striker still managed to get off a quality strike, but a well positioned Ezenwa, with his reflexes and athleticism, simply dove to his right to make a superlative save.

Mind you, the reflexes and acrobatics, we know that Ezenwa has got that in his back pocket. But the calmness and decision making - now that was key.

In a couple of those one on one duels that he won, these same traits were on display. He rushed out to narrow the space and the striker's angle, but was totally under control, making himself big at the exact moment that it was necessary. So many goalkeepers get these situations wrong, and Nigerian goalkeepers in particular, seem to make rash decisions in these moments (Ezenwa vs Cameroon for instance).

But today, he was on his P's and Q's. And we need to see more signs like this that his judgement is improving, both in terms of of reading situations like these, as well as reading high balls (particularly in traffic) as we draw closer to the World Cup.

So really it was his judgement and composure that impressed me today.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

How can we lose to Angola like that. Oh well we will make up for it in the Semis while Angola celebrate their "win" on the way to Luanda
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

[/video]
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

pajimoh wrote:[/video]
...good fight back. Their one goal was avoidable, Ezenwa and defender should have taken better control of the ball, stay back or tell defender to clear better. Tough to pull though in the heat of the moment.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

mcal wrote:...good fight back. Their one goal was avoidable, Ezenwa and defender should have taken better control of the ball, stay back or tell defender to clear better. Tough to pull though in the heat of the moment.
How could Ezenwa had taken "better control of the ball" in that situation? Let us not criticize just for the heck of it...haba
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

mcal wrote:
...good fight back. Their one goal was avoidable, Ezenwa and defender should have taken better control of the ball, stay back or tell defender to clear better. Tough to pull though in the heat of the moment.
I have sent this video clip to Uncle Pinnik to use our influence in CAF to ban Angola from celebrating any goal they score in the future. These Southern and Eastern African countries are hell bent on disgracing Africa. What sort of rubbish was that?

And add Ghana to that list!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

1naija wrote:
mcal wrote:
I have sent this video clip to Uncle Pinnik to use our influence in CAF to ban Angola from celebrating any goal they score in the future. These Southern and Eastern African countries are hell bent on disgracing Africa. What sort of rubbish was that?

You see am too? Dem ne er win game but dey jump fence go dance. The best time to score and damage their morale and break their will to continue -90th minute
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

pajimoh wrote:
1naija wrote:
mcal wrote:

You see am too? Dem ne er win game but dey jump fence go dance. The best time to score and damage their morale and break their will to continue -90th minute
The celebration was over elaborate :rotf:, these guys need to learn that in football the game is never over and won even if you score in the 90th+ minute... until the final whistle is blown don't overcelebtate yet.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Robbynice wrote:
mcal wrote:...good fight back. Their one goal was avoidable, Ezenwa and defender should have taken better control of the ball, stay back or tell defender to clear better. Tough to pull though in the heat of the moment.
How could Ezenwa had taken "better control of the ball" in that situation? Let us not criticize just for the heck of it...haba
...as a one time part-timer goalie :thumbs: Ezenwa should have communicated to the defender something drastic.
You see the defender was clueless in smacking the ball on advancing opponent causing the goal.
Watch many seasoned goalies or defenders how they clear ball during a melee inside the box.
And don't get me wrong, I back Ezenwa as our number one at the wc, but let this be a lesson.
Goalie is the last line of defense, he sees everything, and what to do or not do.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Tobi17 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
1naija wrote:
mcal wrote:

The celebration was over elaborate :rotf:, these guys need to learn that in football the game is never over and won even if you score in the 90th+ minute... until the final whistle is blown don't overcelebtate yet.
...i guess they never heard of the colloquialism "until the fat lady sings" :laugh:
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

mcal wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
...as a one time part-timer goalie :thumbs: Ezenwa should have communicated to the defender something drastic.
You see the defender was clueless in smacking the ball on advancing opponent causing the goal.
Watch many seasoned goalies or defenders how they clear ball during a melee inside the box.
And don't get me wrong, I back Ezenwa as our number one at the wc, but let this be a lesson.
Goalie is the last line of defense, he sees everything, and what to do or not do.
But we do not know for sure that Ezenwa did not communicate with the defender...He might have and I think he did while coming out but the defender did not react...
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Robbynice wrote:
mcal wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
But we do not know for sure that Ezenwa did not communicate with the defender...He might have and I think he did while coming out but the defender did not react...
...could be, and they will learn from this.