Popular Lastnames Used by SE Players.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Popular Lastnames Used by SE Players.....

Post by Enugu II »

Ultimately, the name with most multiple entries is not surprising if you think about it. The most common last name used is Mohammed (Table 1). It appears in 11 entries! The closest other last names were distant second at six entries each.
...how many times players using those last names played for Nigeria is also insightful (Figure 1). Of the three, players with the last name "Lawal" have played a combined 208 times....
Click below for details:

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2018/01/p ... agles.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Popular Lastnames Used by SE Players.....

Post by Damunk »

Mohammed is the commonest name in the world, so its not surprising.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Okoro? :lol:
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

EnuguII,
Very insightful and one for the archives. However, there's a typo. Ibrahim Mohammed certainly didn't play for us in 1881! Another observation, Okechukwu Uche, the central defence "Gentle Giant" of the 1994 and 1998 World Cups and one of the trojans of the 1996 Olympic team is not listed. Maybe his name is actually Uche Okechukwu, but he used "Uche" on his jersey at those tournaments.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
ogiso
Egg
Egg

Post by ogiso »

Very interesting. But I may have spotted some errors (maybe). First with Fregene - you have Augustine down twice, supposedly as two different persons? If memory serves me right, this is one and the same person - only that there was a massive gap between his two stints. Secondly you may have transposed the caps between the Kanus - surely Nwankwo had more caps than Ogbonna?
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Enugu II wrote:
Ultimately, the name with most multiple entries is not surprising if you think about it. The most common last name used is Mohammed (Table 1). It appears in 11 entries! The closest other last names were distant second at six entries each.
...how many times players using those last names played for Nigeria is also insightful (Figure 1). Of the three, players with the last name "Lawal" have played a combined 208 times....
Click below for details:

Is there any correlation between names or how many times it appears and anything else ? And if not what a waste of bandwidth
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Best Eagles player name for me:

Romanus Orjinta!

2nd

Wilifred Agbonabare
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Obong wrote:EnuguII,
Very insightful and one for the archives. However, there's a typo. Ibrahim Mohammed certainly didn't play for us in 1881! Another observation, Okechukwu Uche, the central defence "Gentle Giant" of the 1994 and 1998 World Cups and one of the trojans of the 1996 Olympic team is not listed. Maybe his name is actually Uche Okechukwu, but he used "Uche" on his jersey at those tournaments.
Obong,

Thank you. Will be able to correct the typo right away. Eagle-eye on these. I am not certain of a few last names because sometimes media report last names as first names. Hoping others may be able to note errors like those if they are able to provide strong evidence.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ogiso wrote:Very interesting. But I may have spotted some errors (maybe). First with Fregene - you have Augustine down twice, supposedly as two different persons? If memory serves me right, this is one and the same person - only that there was a massive gap between his two stints. Secondly you may have transposed the caps between the Kanus - surely Nwankwo had more caps than Ogbonna?
There were actually two different Augustine Fregenes and my understanding is that they are not related. The one that played under Bonfrere (v Eritrea) was a young player at the time of his debut, several years after the initial one played for Berger in Nigeria from late 70s to early 1980s. Same with the two Peter Aniekes who are also listed.

You are very correct on the Kanus and that will be corrected.
Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

EIi, great compilation.
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Nkume wrote:Best Eagles player name for me:

Romanus Orjinta!

2nd

Wilifred Agbonabare

Ademola Adeshina for me any day. The man demolished Roger Millar well well.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Thunder wrote:EIi, great compilation.
Thunder, thanks.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Nothing beats my boys:

Sia Sia

Okorowanta

Ilerika
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Nkume wrote:Best Eagles player name for me:

Romanus Orjinta!

2nd

Wilifred Agbonabare
There is a thread for that nah.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

EnuguII,

You seem to have forgotten the Atuegbu brothers. Alloysius must have had enough appearances to pad up their stats,whie adding Andrew too. Enough to measure up to other names listed.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

You seem to have forgotten the Atuegbu brothers. Alloysius must have had enough appearances to pad up their stats,whie adding Andrew too. Enough to measure up to other names listed.
Obong,

Yea, both of them were quite good and Andrew would have made even more appearances if he had not left early to the USA. However, I did not include them since atleast three players would have shared the last name for a last name to be included. If Mathew had also played, Atuegbu would have been one of the last names included.

You can see the blog on Siblings/Father-Son here: http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2016/05/s ... -team.html

Here is one on players who share first and last names:
http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2016/12/n ... names.html
BigMuze
Egg
Egg

Post by BigMuze »

Abubakar Balarabe (late 80s)
"Everyone, and particularly every true beliver, should decide which is more important to them. But as for me, I choose eternity over lifetime".
Dr. Sabinus Okoro Phd
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dr. Sabinus Okoro Phd »

Enugu II wrote:
Click below for details:

I believe there was a Godwin Kanu from ACB that played for the eagles sometime in the 80's. Also the Okala brothers.
An ignorant mind abhors knowledge.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Okonkwo

Babaginda

Ochechukwu
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dr. Sabinus Okoro Phd wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Click below for details:

I believe there was a Godwin Kanu from ACB that played for the eagles sometime in the 80's. Also the Okala brothers.
Dr. Okoro,

You may be referring to Godwin Eke, I believe. On the Okala brothers, I did not include any last names with less than three entries. The Okalas were only two. However, you can find both of them included in other article on siblings.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Enugu II wrote:

Obong,

Yea, both of them were quite good and Andrew would have made even more appearances if he had not left early to the USA. However, I did not include them since atleast three players would have shared the last name for a last name to be included. If Mathew had also played, Atuegbu would have been one of the last names included.

You can see the blog on Siblings/Father-Son here: http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2016/05/s ... -team.html

Here is one on players who share first and last names:
http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2016/12/n ... names.html
Thanks, EnuguII for the clarification. Interesting read. Keep 'em coming. :clap:
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

:mad: :mad: :mad: :boo:

And you know why. This is like Disu 11.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.