Echiejile Joins Second-Tier Belgian Club Cercle Brugge

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Echiejile Joins Second-Tier Belgian Club Cercle Brugge

Post by vancity eagle »

felarey wrote:The Echiejile that just got us the WC ticket is yet to be displaced by Ola Aina. Dunno which games you guys have been watching. Brian Idowu after 45 mins of a competent job?? Give me a break! He needs more minutes.
So Echijele got us the WC ticket on his own did he?

In case u haven't noticed we are in a WC group of death.

Only the best players will do. Echijelehas for a while been the weakest link.

We have 2 better left backs playing week in week out in better leagues.

This should be the end for Echijele. Unless you do not wish Nigeria well.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

vancity eagle wrote:
felarey wrote:The Echiejile that just got us the WC ticket is yet to be displaced by Ola Aina. Dunno which games you guys have been watching. Brian Idowu after 45 mins of a competent job?? Give me a break! He needs more minutes.

Ok, but allow them to show what they've got to offer the SE and not crown them with the position. Going to war in successive competitive games with all on the table is different from friendlies as good as Argentina may be. Ola Aina so far doesn't look good enough in SE shirt, Idowu has never been to war with Ekong nor Balogun and didn't put in a world class performance. Ebuehi was perfect and did all he could to grab a spot but Shehu is no slouch. I'd say we have much less problems at RB. LB is still very much wide open.

This is the national team and you guys are going full on with Pa Oni type selections all over again when we dropped Oliseh, Finidi etc for rookies or junk players as Taribo call it. The days when Ogbeche made the cut after one bicycle kick. It's good to have Idowu and Aina, but please let them earn their spots on the pitch. I'm completely fine with Echiejile not going but these guys have to earn their right to displace him. Remember Ola Aina did a competent job to finish the last 15 mins against Zambia but was found out in 45 mins against Argentina.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

This is a disappointing move for Nigeria's safest LB choice. I'm curious to see how Rohr deals with it, and would like to see Echiejile start in the next friendly (just so I can assess him).
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

felarey wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

Ok, but allow them to show what they've got to offer the SE and not crown them with the position. Going to war in successive competitive games with all on the table is different from friendlies as good as Argentina may be. Ola Aina so far doesn't look good enough in SE shirt, Idowu has never been to war with Ekong nor Balogun and didn't put in a world class performance. Ebuehi was perfect and did all he could to grab a spot but Shehu is no slouch. I'd say we have much less problems at RB. LB is still very much wide open.

This is the national team and you guys are going full on with Pa Oni type selections all over again when we dropped Oliseh, Finidi etc for rookies or junk players as Taribo call it. The days when Ogbeche made the cut after one bicycle kick. It's good to have Idowu and Aina, but please let them earn their spots on the pitch. I'm completely fine with Echiejile not going but these guys have to earn their right to displace him. Remember Ola Aina did a competent job to finish the last 15 mins against Zambia but was found out in 45 mins against Argentina.
Those guys were not dropped for their performances on the field, but due to clashes and external issues between Amodu & Keshi on one hand and Pat Ekeji and the Sports Minister (Mark Aku) on the other.

This is different. Echiejile has barely looked competent in his spot over the last decade. Gets injured in just about every tournament he goes to, (including 2 World Cups), and has been particularly horrendous over the last year. Over the years, the likes of Chima Akas, Valentine Nwabili and Stanley Amuzie have looked better than him in that spot, but among other reasons, Echiejile's backers have mentioned his European club status (Monaco), and the poor club situation of the others as the basis for Echiejile as the undisputed starter.

He still continues with very poor performances for the Eagles, and now he is pretty much being pushed around by lmid to low level clubs in Europe (he was mostly bad in Turkey).

I won't be surprised if he makes it to Russia, but it will be totally undeserved.
soma
Egg
Egg

Post by soma »

He’s done his bit for SE time for him to retire from SE.

3. Thomas Sankara
4. Patrice Lumumba
5. Robert Mugabe
6. Murmar "the Lion" Ghaddafi....
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

It's only a Nigerian that will herald a player solely based on his "dedication and service" to the national team(same recycled nonsense we hear folks here chat when the argument to drop Musa is mentioned, they begin to revisit how he scored a banger against Argentina 4 freaking Years ago as the mainstay of their warped attempt to justify mediocrity) ... what happened to quality? so because a 30 year old very average player with no standout resume and a rather colorless football career for Nigeria has served us well, we should then be held to sentimental hostage on the basis of that crap logic? Echejilie might be a great guy in real life, needless to override his long service to the national team, but going by his present form and lack of growth as a player over the past years... it's only plausible to suggest he makes way for the younger players to step up, it'll be very wicked and unproductive for a player in the downward slide of his career who should be enjoying the last quarter of his football career on his retirement money to remain in the team, and stifle the progress of the younger ones fighting to make a name and career for themselves, makes absolutely no sense.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Not only are we going to give you a break, we are going to give your client a break! :roll:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?