West Ham Don't Want More African Players

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: West Ham Don't Want More African Players

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:The reality is that this believe was only known because it was voiced and got into the media. You have to realize that there are many like this working today at various clubs but have not and may not be outed. To think that many here believe that there is a level ground (fairness) in evaluating players from various parts of the world is to realize the extent of naivety abound among us. Overt racism may be largely over but much of racism today exists underground, far removed from the comprehension of the naive, and many of it is systematic rather than overt.
I think it is a prevailing sentiment.

I remember my college coach sharing the same sentiment. That he will only recruit 2 or 3 Africans, max.

That our wahala is just too much.

Teams like West Ham will remain where they are... they rather not win than recruit players who can help them win.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...do black players have serious advocacy at the epl or European football in general?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Enugu II wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:Thank goodness the angel* was not smart enough to keep quiet about his bias. Now it is being addressed and hopefully he will suffer the full consequences.
West Ham has taken action but this episode should remind all of us that things are not fair and that racism is still out there.
Kpomed. No be only in football. In all our professional fields, e dey dia, systematic and well hidden. In fact maybe the playing fields of football are more meritocratic than the various professions from which we make our living. Managerial ranks of football na anoda matter.

Wha choo looking at?!
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

heavyd wrote:The guy is a certified angel*!

However I don't think this is a view shared by most people in football. Many people (the likes of Wenger, Bobby Robson etc) have actually said the opposite - that African players display more good characteristics of discipline, work rate and the willingness to learn and adapt. There will always be one or two who may cause problems but it is not a particular African trait.
I dont agree, i think it is more widespread than we think, this people are connected to each other including scouting network to head of recruitment, they find jobs for each other. The are closely knit......
Oya back to the matter
open and close
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

However I don't think this is a view shared by most people in football. Many people (the likes of Wenger, Bobby Robson etc) have actually said the opposite - that African players display more good characteristics of discipline, work rate and the willingness to learn and adapt. There will always be one or two who may cause problems but it is not a particular African trait.
Heavy,

It is more prevalent than otherwise. It's not a case of one or two bad eggs.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
oshodi
Egg
Egg

Post by oshodi »

platinum wrote:

Heavy,

The root cause is ourselves. sort out our leagues across, Africa, make it viable and attractive for fans and investors alike. Problem solved

THE FACT THAT AFRICANS ARE PROVING THEMSELVES IN THE BUSINESS COMMUNITIES ABROAD BUT CANNOT FOR SOME REASON IMPLIMENT THE SAME STRATEGIES BACK HOME DOES NOT MAKE SENSE
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

oshodi wrote:
platinum wrote:

Heavy,

The root cause is ourselves. sort out our leagues across, Africa, make it viable and attractive for fans and investors alike. Problem solved
It's not simply a football problem. It's a perception that's greater than just sports. Oloye made the point about brazilians and others from countries with strong leagues.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
tmex12
Egg
Egg

Post by tmex12 »

Scipio Africanus wrote:Thank goodness the angel* was not smart enough to keep quiet about his bias. Now it is being addressed and hopefully he will suffer the full consequences.
Thats why I have great respect to the Africans that break through and achieve success. Its an uphill task. Emenalo for example; cant imagine what he faced occupying in such a powerful role within Chelsea!
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

oloye wrote:
Bell wrote:AS I'VE SAID BEFORE...

...get that W. African regional league started.
Bell
Sorry sir , when i hear remarks like this i see an ostrich with a head far buried down in the sand. You mean the Brasilians, the French, the Germans, the Dutch, the Koreans ,Japanese etc who all have players in the EPL and indeed europe do not have a league hence the reason why they have players in europe?
oloye, IF I UNDERSTAND THE POINT YOU'RE TRYING TO MAKE...

...you're saying the Brazilians, the French, Germans et al have leagues of their own, yet they are moving outside to play. First, you have to leave out the W, Europeans out of this because they all have viable leagues and would have no problems staying at home. For them there's no net migration.

As for the likes of the Brazilians, Argentines, Africans, E. Europeans, etc, I'm not sure that we want to use the argument that there;s no solution to the problem of migration by Africans because if there is, these others would have found it. Maybe, for a change, Africans can make something work and let the rest of humanity copy them. I want someone to tell me specifically why it won't work instead of waiting for others to come up with the solution and then Africans rushing to copy it.

Just as the MLS (which by the way has three Canadian teams) is showing signs of strength, Africa can also structure and develop one that takes into consideration local conditions. I doubt FIFA is happy to see world soccer concentrated in one small part of the world. Yjis can work and I think I've shown how.
Bell
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:#$%$ West Ham....hope no African players go there...Who the #$%$ do they think they are.
Is Chelsea any different?
... I think that is a good question, though it doesn't excuse the nasty behavior of the team in discussion, if the article or claim is true.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Enugu II wrote:The reality is that this believe was only known because it was voiced and got into the media. You have to realize that there are many like this working today at various clubs but have not and may not be outed. To think that many here believe that there is a level ground (fairness) in evaluating players from various parts of the world is to realize the extent of naivety abound among us. Overt racism may be largely over but much of racism today exists underground, far removed from the comprehension of the naive, and many of it is systematic rather than overt.
:clap: :clap:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
West Ham has taken action but this episode should remind all of us that things are not fair and that racism is still out there.
Kpomed. No be only in football. In all our professional fields, e dey dia, systematic and well hidden. In fact maybe the playing fields of football are more meritocratic than the various professions from which we make our living. Managerial ranks of football na anoda matter.
Yes, the discrimination is in all professions and is very well HIDDEN. It explains why Black employees are hardly promoted or offered higher positions in many corporations, no matter how good a Black person might be. A Black person's "GOOD" job performance counts less then his/her mistakes.
Last edited by Odas on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
bk-one
Egg
Egg

Post by bk-one »

Did they suspend him because of what he said or because he got caught saying it. This is the same club which had the likes of Paolo Di Canio......a well known fascist......The same club whose chairman instructed his coach to pick the off form Joe Hart over Adrian....coz one is english and the other is a foreigner......Andre Ayew scores a brace and the following day he is back warming the bench....Sakho kept on performing and as soon as Carroll is fit sakho is going back to the bench. before complaining about african footballers they should re-evaluate their treatment of the said african footballers.....loyalty is not a one way street
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

bk-one wrote:Did they suspend him because of what he said or because he got caught saying it. This is the same club which had the likes of Paolo Di Canio......a well known fascist......The same club whose chairman instructed his coach to pick the off form Joe Hart over Adrian....coz one is english and the other is a foreigner......Andre Ayew scores a brace and the following day he is back warming the bench....Sakho kept on performing and as soon as Carroll is fit sakho is going back to the bench. before complaining about african footballers they should re-evaluate their treatment of the said african footballers.....loyalty is not a one way street
Thx! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Unfortunately, the racists doesn't see it that way.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

He has been sacked.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Damunk wrote:He has been sacked.
Sacked for revealing club policy.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Thrown under the bus!
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

oshodi wrote:
platinum wrote:

Heavy,

Can you suggest ways to improve the leagues in Africa?
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

West ham sucks anyways, I hope they get relegated.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Sure! They sacked him for revealing their CODE of conduct to the world.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Odas wrote:
Sure! They sacked him for revealing their CODE of conduct to the world.
I take that back. Just read the article carefully. You are right.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Tony Henry: West Ham sack head of recruitment over African player comments

Former West Ham recruitment chief Tony Henry (right) and manager David Moyes

West Ham have sacked director of player recruitment Tony Henry over claims he said the club would not sign any more African players.

The decision follows a report by the Daily Mail which carried quotes from Henry stating African players "cause mayhem" when they are not in the team.

The club said his comments were "unacceptable", adding they conducted a "full and thorough investigation".

It added: "West Ham United will not tolerate any type of discrimination."

Earlier on Friday, Hammers manager David Moyes said Henry had recommended two players from the African continent during the January transfer window.

The Scot said the club were "very, very close" to signing Leicester's Algeria forward Islam Slimani, who joined Newcastle on loan, and Lille's Cameroon defender Ibrahim Amadou.

When asked about the comments made by the former recruitment chief, Moyes said: "It's a massive shock, because you are well aware of the couple of players we were trying to sign on deadline day, so that's why it's a big surprise.

"I've known Tony and he has to get on with his stuff but all I can say is that it wasn't correct because we were trying to sign two players like that on deadline day."

Asked if Henry had recommended Slimani and Amadou, he added: "Yes. They were two players who were slightly available, albeit who came up late."

The Professional Footballers' Association had said it was "shocked" by the reported comments. It added: "The PFA strongly condemns any such views and there is no place for them in football."

West Ham have six first-team squad members of African descent: Cheikhou Kouyate, Pedro Obiang, Joao Mario, Angelo Ogbonna, Arthur Masuaku and Edimilson Fernandes.

Senegal striker Diafra Sakho left the club in the January transfer window to join Rennes, with Ghana international Andre Ayew heading to Swansea.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Next time he will learn to keep his mouth shut! :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?