Switzerland caps Manuel Akanji (CB) in WC qualifier today

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ume-ugo
Egg
Egg
Switzerland caps Manuel Akanji (CB) in WC qualifier today

Post by ume-ugo »

He started 14 games for Basel this past season, 4 goals from defense. Wish him the best, but hope it's not another case of Alaba, ...or even Ogbonna :( .

I haven't seen much mention of him here but could've been a genuine option for us.

Sources: (1) http://www.espnfc.us/lineups?gameId=431763 (2) http://www.lenouvelliste.ch/dossiers/co ... roe-676966
Last edited by ume-ugo on Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iron mustu obey!!
olu
Egg
Egg
Re: Switzerland caps Akanji in WC qualifier today

Post by olu »

We can't possibly cap every foreign born player with Nigerian ancestry, some of them will choose to play for their birth country. I do agree that we should be actively monitoring some of them though.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Murphy Akanji?

Didn't he use to be a goalie during Oloye's time?

Which medi Dr O give am?

Cmoke :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Cmoke wrote:Murphy Akanji?

Which medi Dr O give am?

Murphy and Manuel are not the same :lol: :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

oloye wrote:
Cmoke wrote:Murphy Akanji?

Which medi Dr O give am?

Murphy and Manuel are not the same :lol: :lol:
:rotf:

Right, this one would be more like Murphy's son.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
mystic
Egg
Egg
Re: Switzerland caps Manuel Akanji (CB) in WC qualifier toda

Post by mystic »

Talented player and Switzerland is smart to cap him ahead of Nigeria.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

He was born in Wiesendangen (I doubt that's a place in Nigeria) if Nigerians think being born abroad automatically qualifies you to play for Nigeria when Nigeria didn't even unearth their talent there's a problem!
He's Switz and should play for them if they think he's good enough after all they have a very small population!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

ume-ugo wrote:He started 14 games for Basel this past season, 4 goals from defense. Wish him the best, but hope it's not another case of Alaba, ...or even Ogbonna :( .
You do realize that's a paradox?

If you want the best for him then by implication you want him to be as successful as Alaba if not better. The worst for him means it won't be another case like Alaba. :)

Just saying lol.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ume-ugo
Egg
Egg

Post by ume-ugo »

theYemster wrote:
ume-ugo wrote:He started 14 games for Basel this past season, 4 goals from defense. Wish him the best, but hope it's not another case of Alaba, ...or even Ogbonna :( .
You do realize that's a paradox?

If you want the best for him then by implication you want him to be as successful as Alaba if not better. The worst for him means it won't be another case like Alaba. :)

Just saying lol.
It is indeed a mini-paradox, and I think it encapsulates how some on here may feel.
We want foreign-born Nigerian players to do well, but not sooo well that we can't stop kicking ourselves.
I hope he has more int'l caps than :lol: 30 year-old Ogbonna (13), but also silently hope he doesn't become world class like Alaba. :taunt:
Iron mustu obey!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Never heard of him, this thread is a one huge waste of our bandwidth. I think the thread should be closed and the OP banned
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Never heard of him, this thread is a one huge waste of our bandwidth. I think the thread should be closed and the OP banned
:rotf:
y you too like trouble dis man?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

olu wrote:We can't possibly cap every foreign born player with Nigerian ancestry, some of them will choose to play for their birth country. I do agree that we should be actively monitoring some of them though.
:agree:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Eaglezbeak wrote:He was born in Wiesendangen (I doubt that's a place in Nigeria) if Nigerians think being born abroad automatically qualifies you to play for Nigeria when Nigeria didn't even unearth their talent there's a problem!
He's Switz and should play for them if they think he's good enough after all they have a very small population!

That's the attitude that had us miss out on Alaba. A Nigerian is a Nigerian, whether born in Apapa or Wiesendangen; and whether his football education started in Nigeria or Switzerland.

Mind you, we should aim to have a very vigorous development program for our young players at home, first and foremost. But nothing wrong with doing our homework on Nigerians that are born or brought up abroad.

As for Akanji, I wish him all the best with the Swiss national team.
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Never heard of him, this thread is a one huge waste of our bandwidth. I think the thread should be closed and the OP banned
....kinda hard to hear from deep inside Mikel's rectum...
Pa
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

olu wrote:We can't possibly cap every foreign born player with Nigerian ancestry, some of them will choose to play for their birth country. I do agree that we should be actively monitoring some of them though.
Why should we even cap most of them?

Sometimes I am befuddled by what I hear on this site!

For me, the country where the individual is nurtured has the greatest advantage, after all that is the country the individual knows best. Parentage is a big factor, but the individual goes to school in that environment, goes shopping in that environment, speaks that language, played football with people from that society. He may have visited his father or mother's people from time to time, or eaten 'fufu' as they like to call every Nigerian dish - but most likely they know their country of birth or nurturing, more than they know the land of their parents. (I know someone will disingenuously argue against this point, exposing the limitations of their intellect)

Obviously they have that relationship with Nigeria nonetheless, and that is what we take advantage of, to expand our horizons. BUT it should be expected from both our perspective and the perspective of the other country that the vast majority of these players should play for their home country!

Every time we cap one of these players, I see it as FORTUNE, NOT an EXPECTATION.

Frankly I am surprised that England for example, has not been more aggressive towards us than they have been, they have every right to.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

The only time I am angry at these foreign players of Nigerian descent, is when they try to play us!

i.e. the Ameobi way, the Onuoha type etc. Or when they try to discredit their heritage, such as anglicizing their name, i.e. Jordan Ibe.

However, if it is simply a matter of going the other way, without any confusion - i.e. Dele Alli, then I have 100% respect for them. That is how it should be. If Victor Moses had played for England, I would not have blamed him one little bit.

Frankly to this day, I am still stunned that he decided to play for us. Yes he was born in Nigeria, but left at a very very young age, his family situation (Without knowing all the details, was obviously catastrophic), he played for the English youth teams, yet he gave us an opportunity.

This is my way of looking at things. You lose sleep over your own work, not others! Such as when an Eneramo starts spouting off about how he wished he had played for Tunisia etc. But any Nigerian losing sleep over these players of Nigerian descent is a very confused individual.

If we get a Tammy Abraham or an Ola Aina, good...if we don't who cares?
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Man Ataye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Man Ataye »

paj wrote:
....kinda hard to hear from deep inside Mikel's rectum...
Pa

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

mystic wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:He was born in Wiesendangen (I doubt that's a place in Nigeria) if Nigerians think being born abroad automatically qualifies you to play for Nigeria when Nigeria didn't even unearth their talent there's a problem!

That's the attitude that had us miss out on Alaba. A Nigerian is a Nigerian, whether born in Apapa or Wiesendangen; and whether his football education started in Nigeria or Switzerland.

Mind you, we should aim to have a very vigorous development program for our young players at home, first and foremost. But nothing wrong with doing our homework on Nigerians that are born or brought up abroad.

Nigeria wastes players as they are not confident in their own system it's not until a player finds his way out of Nigeria or is born abroad that any value is placed on him and that's why the likes of Shola Emobi end up going to the World Cup with Nigeria even on their last legs when there where players in Nigeria that could have been more useful!
Having a development program should be mandatory for any serious football association and that's why Austria knew more about Alaba than Nigeria as he was their own product,you can't expect other organised FAs and federations to just give up their talent like that,Nigeria can't go around begging players who don't even have them in mind to begin with (at least not in a footballing sense).
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
mystic wrote:

Nigeria wastes players as they are not confident in their own system it's not until a player finds his way out of Nigeria or is born abroad that any value is placed on him and that's why the likes of Shola Emobi end up going to the World Cup with Nigeria even on their last legs when there where players in Nigeria that could have been more useful!
Having a development program should be mandatory for any serious football association and that's why Austria knew more about Alaba than Nigeria as he was their own product,you can't expect other organised FAs and federations to just give up their talent like that,Nigeria can't go around begging players who don't even have them in mind to begin with (at least not in a footballing sense).
There is more to the Shola Ameobi going to the World Cup with Nigeria. It is definitely not about ability! That is why some of us prefer a foreign coach. Today, we have serious competition for places unlike before when the squad was filled with junk players for sale!
I am happy
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Tbite wrote:
Why should we even cap most of them?

Sometimes I am befuddled by what I hear on this site!

For me, the country where the individual is nurtured has the greatest advantage, after all that is the country the individual knows best. Parentage is a big factor, but the individual goes to school in that environment, goes shopping in that environment, speaks that language, played football with people from that society. He may have visited his father or mother's people from time to time, or eaten 'fufu' as they like to call every Nigerian dish - but most likely they know their country of birth or nurturing, more than they know the land of their parents. (I know someone will disingenuously argue against this point, exposing the limitations of their intellect)

Obviously they have that relationship with Nigeria nonetheless, and that is what we take advantage of, to expand our horizons. BUT it should be expected from both our perspective and the perspective of the other country that the vast majority of these players should play for their home country!

Every time we cap one of these players, I see it as FORTUNE, NOT an EXPECTATION.

Frankly I am surprised that England for example, has not been more aggressive towards us than they have been, they have every right to.
So you needed this long-winded thesis to regurgitate what OLU succinctly put in two sentences... :lol:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Dammy wrote:There is more to the Shola Ameobi going to the World Cup with Nigeria. It is definitely not about ability! That is why some of us prefer a foreign coach. Today, we have serious competition for places unlike before when the squad was filled with junk players for sale!
Abegi, let Nigeria's dead HERO rest in peace... :roll:

Even an aging Shola Ameobi was better (and scored as many or more SE goals) than Ighalo, Daddy Simon, Musa Mohammed and some others that have played under our foreign coach (whom I personally happen to like - but not because he is "foreign" as do some of you subjugated natives). Meanwhile, while we await for him to at least match Keshi and win the ANC and get to the last 16 of the WC, let's not forget that the bulk of his squad were also supposedly "marketed" by Keshi - Ikechukwu, Alampasu, Akpeyi, Shehu, Troost-Ekong, Balogun, Omeruo, Echiejile, Onazi, Ogu, Musa, Victor Moses, Etebo, etc. Nigeria is a truly disgusting place for any Nigerian to perform good public service. One reason it remains deservedly a Third World toilet! SMDH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Gotti wrote:
Dammy wrote:There is more to the Shola Ameobi going to the World Cup with Nigeria. It is definitely not about ability! That is why some of us prefer a foreign coach. Today, we have serious competition for places unlike before when the squad was filled with junk players for sale!
Abegi, let Nigeria's dead HERO rest in peace... :roll:

Even an aging Shola Ameobi was better (and scored as many or more SE goals) than Ighalo, Daddy Simon, Musa Mohammed and some others that have played under our foreign coach (whom I personally happen to like - but not because he is "foreign" as do some of you subjugated natives). Meanwhile, while we await for him to at least match Keshi and win the ANC and get to the last 16 of the WC, let's not forget that the bulk of his squad were also supposedly "marketed" by Keshi - Ikechukwu, Alampasu, Akpeyi, Shehu, Troost-Ekong, Balogun, Omeruo, Echiejile, Onazi, Ogu, Musa, Victor Moses, Etebo, etc. Nigeria is a truly disgusting place for any Nigerian to perform good public service. One reason it remains deservedly a Third World toilet! SMDH
I am all for letting the dead rest in peace but I cannot help but think that had Keshi selected his ANC winning team his team would have done far better than the team he finally selected to participate at. The World Cup. The selection of Sola Ameobi however leaves a very very bitter taste as was the dropping of the top scorer during the qualifiers but let the coach rest in peace.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Flex Swift wrote:I am all for letting the dead rest in peace but I cannot help but think that had Keshi selected his ANC winning team his team would have done far better than the team he finally selected to participate at. The World Cup. The selection of Sola Ameobi however leaves a very very bitter taste as was the dropping of the top scorer during the qualifiers but let the coach rest in peace.
Ideye was arguably the only significant change from the ANC-winning side...
But that was after many of the same "fans" kept yelling that he was a non-scoring forward.

Sunday Mba was the other significant ANC player that was excluded after "fans" turned on him (and frankly he did not do much post-ANC). Ike Uche (thanks for his previous services) positively SUCKED at the ANC and reportedly cultivated a sour attitude to boot. And frankly, Osaze Odemwingie was a significant UPGRADE over that particular version of Ike Uche. So, who else dropped from the ANC squad are we moaning about? Nosa Igiebor? Obiorah Nwankwo? Abegi, the less said of those ones the better.

The irony of your post was that pre-ANC much of these same "fans" were loquaciously haranguing Keshi for picking and supposedly "marketing" such a young and inexperienced squad for the ANC (some could not wait for the more famous names of the CIV Elephants to "expose" our supposed fraud at that ANC). Nonetheless, no credible national team squad goes unchanged for a year and a half (i.e., the period between the 2013 ANC and the 2014 WC), and if Keshi had left the ANC squad unchanged much of these same "fans" would have been screaming blue murder!

It was these same "fans" who kept blathering on about Azeez this and La Liga that - even though many of us who saw him play every game and every week thought him raw and inexperienced - until he ended up over his head when it mattered (personally I would have preferred Ogude from the ANC squad - but of course our all-knowing-from-the-comfort-of-the-Internet "fans" labeled him a butcher and screamed for his expulsion from the squad). So, yes, we not only should let our dead HERO (unprecedentedly as both a player and coach) rest in peace, but while doing so should retain factual rectitude and perspective!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL