Joel Obi updates!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Joel Obi updates!

Post by The YeyeMan »

pajimoh hasn't really made a case to exclude Obi based on form or ability - just vagaries about his mental stability and other factors which affect all players.

niti, has also weighed in with some soothsayer level analysis about Obi picking an injury after the second game. :D

pajimoh did you know that Joel's 20 games with five goals scored is the equivalent of 60 games and 30 goals scored in some of the back water leagues in which some of the other midfielders ply their trade? :D

Joel will be a good option to have, and would bring much needed depth to the squad.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

The YeyeMan wrote:pajimoh hasn't really made a case to exclude Obi based on form or ability - just vagaries about his mental stability and other factors which affect all players.

niti, has also weighed in with some soothsayer level analysis about Obi picking an injury after the second game. :D

pajimoh did you know that Joel's 20 games with five goals scored is the equivalent of 60 games and 30 goals scored in some of the back water leagues in which some of the other midfielders ply their trade? :D

Joel will be a good option to have, and would bring much needed depth to the squad.
I'm not making a case for anything, just stating my opinion. Since you're the judge, deciding who has made a case or not and you've also weighed the value of goals compared to other leagues :tic:

Regardless of our opinions Rohr would de ide who gets an invitation. Just my turpence
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

The YeyeMan wrote:pajimoh hasn't really made a case to exclude Obi based on form or ability - just vagaries about his mental stability and other factors which affect all players.

Actually you don't need to be a soothsayer. You just have to look at how many matches he's played and how many tines he's been withdrawn for getting injured.
https://www.transfermarkt.com/joel-obi/ ... eler/45581
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Its all depends on whether Rohr is looking for reinforcements in the position he plays or whether Obi is better than what he already has if to say the position is already filled...

I think Rohr is already settled on his first team. The battle is for the fringe players, If Joel makes the cut, he will be an impact player off the sub bench. Not a bad player to have in the arsenal...
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

niyi wrote:

Actually you don't need to be a soothsayer. You just have to look at how many matches he's played and how many tines he's been withdrawn for getting injured.
He's been withdrawn twice for picking up injuries. And...? :D
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Mr Shows wrote:Its all depends on whether Rohr is looking for reinforcements in the position he plays or whether Obi is better than what he already has if to say the position is already filled...

I think Rohr is already settled on his first team. The battle is for the fringe players, If Joel makes the cut, he will be an impact player off the sub bench. Not a bad player to have in the arsenal...
My thinking too...and the right thing to do.
If he actually makes the cut, it won't be because Rohr is unaware of his injury history.
So I suspect he will be wrapped in cotton wool and used carefully and strategically - just as they are doing at his club
If a cub that has invested millions in a player can find a way to play him week-on-week, why can't a national team find an intelligent way of using him in a tournament that lasts for 4 or 5 weeks?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

He's not marginally better. He's the best midfield in his team whenever he plays and I would venture that if he wasn't so injury prone he would be as loved by Nigerians as Mikel or Ndidi.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

The YeyeMan wrote:
niyi wrote:

He's been withdrawn twice for picking up injuries. And...? :D
8 games missed so far this year, 19 in 2016/17 and 21 in 2015/16. Been subbed in 3 games due to injury this season. I don't know statistics but the picture is that of an injury-prone player
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

marutimon wrote:He's not marginally better. He's the best midfield in his team whenever he plays and I would venture that if he wasn't so injury prone he would be as loved by Nigerians as Mikel or Ndidi.
By your judgement he's better than Etebo, Onazi and Agu by a long shot?
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

The challenge Joel has is that all the players in the middle have made an impression on Rohr and have played a role in the qualifiers. Its the area of the team that we have had the most stability under his watch.

Iwobi...Victor Moses...Mikel....Onazi....Ndidi...S. Moses...Ogu...Musa...Etebo....Onyekuru

If Joel is going to displace any of the above, he will need to come to camp with his A game and have a blinder..
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Mr Shows wrote:The challenge Joel has is that all the players in the middle have made an impression on Rohr and have played a role in the qualifiers. Its the area of the team that we have had the most stability under his watch.

Iwobi...Victor Moses...Mikel....Onazi....Ndidi...S. Moses...Ogu...Musa...Etebo....Onyekuru

If Joel is going to displace any of the above, he will need to come to camp with his A game and have a blinder..

Half the players you listed are not even in direct competition with Obi or they play different positions. Obi vs onyekuru? Really! :shock: Rohr’s handkerchief is smarter than the best comments on CE, he knows why he invited Obi. All u have to do is just watch on tv and come back to report on CE. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

If Obi gets a shot (barring injury lol) he would take a midfield spot, somebody’s gonna drop, he’s that talented. Not saying he would start, but you’d want to have him at your disposal.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

If for whatever reason Mikel was unable to play or start - Joel Obi is the player I would want in his stead.
Joel Obi is also the ideal sub for Mikel, Onazi or Etebo in the second half.

He is pure class. Elite level. If he wasn't as good as he is, he wouldn't have survived as long in Serie A, despit his injury history.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

maceo4 wrote:If Obi gets a shot (barring injury lol) he would take a midfield spot, somebody’s gonna drop, he’s that talented. Not saying he would start, but you’d want to have him at your disposal.
I haven't watched him this season. I keep asking what he does better than Onazi/Ndidi/Agu and Etebo... no answer.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

niyi wrote:
marutimon wrote:He's not marginally better. He's the best midfield in his team whenever he plays and I would venture that if he wasn't so injury prone he would be as loved by Nigerians as Mikel or Ndidi.
Etebo remains to be seen, but he is on another level than Agu. Onazi is a diffeent type of player.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:The challenge Joel has is that all the players in the middle have made an impression on Rohr and have played a role in the qualifiers. Its the area of the team that we have had the most stability under his watch.

Half the players you listed are not even in direct competition with Obi or they play different positions. Obi vs onyekuru? Really! :shock: Rohr’s handkerchief is smarter than the best comments on CE, he knows why he invited Obi. All u have to do is just watch on tv and come back to report on CE. :thumb:
Last time I checked Obi was a midfielder.. :dream:
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Or maybe he is going to displace a defender or attacker.. or vie for the goalie spot :blink:
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

marutimon wrote:
niyi wrote:
Etebo remains to be seen, but he is on another level than Agu. Onazi is a diffeent type of player.
They are all central midfielders... they're different in some way but we have to play 3 and probably take 6 to the world cup. What does Obi bring to the table?
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

niyi wrote:
wow :shock:
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

smartbrother wrote:
niyi wrote:
wow :shock:
What has amazed you? :D
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Niyi, Obi is a versatile player who has everything you'd want in a midfielder. He can play DM,CM, AM, LB and LWB. His career as you probably know has been hampered by Injury, if not, he would've been playing in one of the top clubs in the world. Despite his injury record, successive managers in Torino start him.in yesterday's match against Juventus, he was voted as his club' s best player. He is already excelling among the type of players the SE would face in the WC like Pjanic of Juventus. I believe if he stays fit, one of Ogu or Agu will miss out on the WC.
I am happy
heavyd
Egg
Egg
Re: Joel Obi injured again !!!!!

Post by heavyd »

icee wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
icee wrote:obi subbed for Moretti at 60 something minutes and i'm out!.
62 to be fair,I think he does a good shift and needs to be preserved,I would like to see him play for Nigeria again.
A good shift today not outstanding but steady. Good technique. Two games ago, he was more outsandinger. Obi raises the quality of our midfield over etebo, Agu IMHO. I dont know if Rohr will prioritize the quality he brings over the energy that Etebo has in abundance
:blink: :shock: :ohmy:

after reading this I am afraid I couldn't continue with this thread... need to take some Panadol and lie down for a bit...
YNWA
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

niyi wrote:
maceo4 wrote:If Obi gets a shot (barring injury lol) he would take a midfield spot, somebody’s gonna drop, he’s that talented. Not saying he would start, but you’d want to have him at your disposal.
I haven't watched him this season. I keep asking what he does better than Onazi//Agu and Etebo... no answer.

Everything, except Nigerian gra-gra without brains...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp