Joel Obi updates!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Joel Obi scored today for Torino

Post by The YeyeMan »

NEWS JUST IN: smartbrother is actually hiding from this thread.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
icee
Egg
Egg
Re: Joel Obi updates!

Post by icee »

For unbiased assessment of jobi over the two games, read my comments on this thread. Mikel , Ndidi, Obi. Like I said, he did some off things against Serbia but also had a good spell. He played well against Poland. I think Rohr has seen enough. He is going if he doesn't get hurt. Jobi is one player I watch almost every week unless I can't find the link.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I think its actually very encouraging that he started and played the majority of both friendlies without getting injured. And he ran his socks off too.

I was convinced he would sustain an injury during this series of matches.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

danfo driver wrote:
john12 wrote:How a player was so horrible against Serbia scored for the 6th time this season. I’m confused on this guy
I think its always been very clear that most people, including you, do not know much about football. You think it is out of the ordinary for someone to have one bad game and then score in his next game? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
nah you get time. :lol: :lol:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

He actually had 2 bad games in a row. He was bad against Poland then absolutely horrible against Serbia. Infact, if players like Echiejile or Ogu had played so terrible for SE two games in a row then that would had been the end for them on CE
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Obong wrote:
9jaMan wrote:The best SE midfield trio is Ndidi + Joel obi + Mikel. Simple and plain
:clap: :clap: :clap:
I approve this message :thumb:

The wonders this midfield will do at the WC eyes have not seen.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

john12 wrote:He actually had 2 bad games in a row. He was bad against Poland then absolutely horrible against Serbia. Infact, if players like Echiejile or Ogu had played so terrible for SE two games in a row then that would had been the end for them on CE
How come you are so quick to spot "horrible" games by Jobi but have never been able to see the same by Musa?
Is there something you are missing?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Damunk wrote:
john12 wrote:He actually had 2 bad games in a row. He was bad against Poland then absolutely horrible against Serbia. Infact, if players like Echiejile or Ogu had played so terrible for SE two games in a row then that would had been the end for them on CE
How come you are so quick to spot "horrible" games by Jobi but have never been able to see the same by Musa?
Is there something you are missing?
A brain.

Time to stop taking this guy semi-seriously.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Musa has equally had horrible games however, I believe that he is still good enough to make super eagles 23. I don’t think musa should be a starter but he is good enough to make our 23. The moment we can provide experienced players to replace musa then I would support
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

I believe that everyone agrees that musa isn’t good enough to be a starter for SE but to say that he isn’t good enough to make SE 23 Is absurd. This is a player that’s currently SE top scorer, has 2 World Cup goals and contributed immensely to our WCQ. It’s clear that people have external motives by attacking musa all the time. All we’re saying is for you people to provide us an alternative to musa then you guys would start mentioning inexperienced backwater league players. My people, SE will exists after World Cup and people would generally support your suggestions. As for Joel Obi, there’s absolutely nothing he has done to dethrone players like OGU
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

john12 wrote:Musa has equally had horrible games however, I believe that he is still good enough to make super eagles 23. I don’t think musa should be a starter but he is good enough to make our 23. The moment we can provide experienced players to replace musa then I would support
But Musa has had ample opportunities with Nigeria and played badly,you have seen Obi twice and want him gone,ok!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

No player in the current SE setup has stunk up the joint more than Ahmed Musa.

FACT.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

I would be very surprised if John Ogu made the World Cup squad. He is a very nice guy but he is not an elite player which would explain why he couldn’t make it in Portugal an has ended up in Israel.The quality of football to be played at WC he is not at that level.

Onazi’s form has dipped and he could also find himself on the World Cup standby list if things don’t change.

Over the too friendlies Joel Obi in my opinion did enough to threaten both Onazi and Ogu’s position. Against Poland he was everywhere closing down the opposition, taking the ball from the back four, winning the ball in midfield. He was dropped from the last World Cup squad in favour of Reuben and Babatunde players as it proved to be utter rubbish. Obi spent majority of his career playing for Inter Milan and now plays for Torino has he been a crap player he would not have lasted this long in the Italian top flight. Rohr should not make the mistake Keshi made in taking substandard players (Reuben, Azeez ,Babatunde) that play in backwater leagues for a genuine talent playing in one of the best leagues in Europe.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Flex Swift wrote:I would be very surprised if John Ogu made the World Cup squad. He is a very nice guy but he is not an elite player which would explain why he couldn’t make it in Portugal an has ended up in Israel.The quality of football to be played at WC he is not at that level.

Onazi’s form has dipped and he could also find himself on the World Cup standby list if things don’t change.

Over the too friendlies Joel Obi in my opinion did enough to threaten both Onazi and Ogu’s position. Against Poland he was everywhere closing down the opposition, taking the ball from the back four, winning the ball in midfield. He was dropped from the last World Cup squad in favour of Reuben and Babatunde players as it proved to be utter rubbish. Obi spent majority of his career playing for Inter Milan and now plays for Torino has he been a crap player he would not have lasted this long in the Italian top flight. Rohr should not make the mistake Keshi made in taking substandard players (Reuben, Azeez ,Babatunde) that play in backwater leagues for a genuine talent playing in one of the best leagues in Europe.
Since when did the La Liga become a “backwater” league? :blink:

Joel Obi’s issues have never been talent but a history of injuries. That is primarily the reason for his 4-year prolonged absence from the SE, rather than so-called “mistake” from any coach - Keshi, Siasia or Oliseh (even Rohr until this month of March). In the season leading into the 2014 WC, dude played a full 90 minute game only TWICE in the entire season and make a grand total of 8 appearances all season (being either subbed-on or off in the other 6 games). Dude was actually quite fortunate to be a surprise call-up for the pre-WC 2014 camp, as he was clearly not match-fit (albeit not sure that Reuben was either). Now, that Joel has been relatively fit and playing regularly he has earned due consideration and no one should begrudge him if the coaches elect to take him to Russia - but abegi let’s quit revising factual history to score cheap partisan polemic points.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Flex Swift wrote:I would be very surprised if John Ogu made the World Cup squad. He is a very nice guy but he is not an elite player which would explain why he couldn’t make it in Portugal an has ended up in Israel.The quality of football to be played at WC he is not at that level.

He might very well make it for that reason, as a squad player.

I get the feeling that he is the most important player in the squad as far as bonding players together. While I will not agree or disagree with the need for him to be in the team, I would not be surprised if Rohr values him.

I wonder if they will let him stay in the WC Camp, even if he doesn't make the cut.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

While not implying that Joel is...
Stephen Makinwa was a crap player who lasted even longer in the Italian top flight. :D
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Tbite wrote:

He might very well make it for that reason, as a squad player.

I get the feeling that he is the most important player in the squad as far as bonding players together. While I will not agree or disagree with the need for him to be in the team, I would not be surprised if Rohr values him.

I wonder if they will let him stay in the WC Camp, even if he doesn't make the cut.
I agree with you on the team bonding point but football ability he is not good enough.
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

Gotti wrote:

Joel Obi’s issues have never been talent but a history of injuries. That is primarily the reason for his 4-year prolonged absence from the SE, rather than so-called “mistake” from any coach - Keshi, Siasia or Oliseh (even Rohr until this month of March). In the season leading into the 2014 WC, dude played a full 90 minute game only TWICE in the entire season and make a grand total of 8 appearances all season (being either subbed-on or off in the other 6 games). Dude was actually quite fortunate to be a surprise call-up for the pre-WC 2014 camp, as he was clearly not match-fit (albeit not sure that Reuben was either). Now, that Joel has been relatively fit and playing regularly he has earned due consideration and no one should begrudge him if the coaches elect to take him to Russia - but abegi let’s quit revising factual history to score cheap partisan polemic points.
There is quite a lot of revisionism. Joel has been absent because of injuries not because he was ignored. Babatunde justified his inclusion in the last WC as dude actually played well. Azeez was a starter in Spain and while I have no excuses for Reuben non of these guys prevented Joel from going. Only his injuries did
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

ROhr will have a tough decision to make over which midfielders will be dropped. Mikel, Onazi, Ndidi, Etebo are certainties. Which leaves Joel Obi, Mikel Agu and John Ogu fighting for one or two spots depending on how many midfielders Rohr wants. A fit Joel Obi should make the squad. The problem for Rohr is John Ogu. He took his chances against Algeria and Argentina but the recall of Joel has made his position precaurios. Ogu is well liked by both players and officials because of his ability to make the camp entertaining. Squad chemistry and bonding is very important and Ogu more than any SE player is very much involved. So does the coach sacrifice a better player for squad chemistry?
I am happy
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Gotti wrote:

Agreed at the time Azeez was playing in La liga however his team was fighting relegation and he was mainly on the bench. If his selection was justified why is he now on the list of players ‘where are they now’.

Joel Obi played in the friendly against Scotland ...his omission from the’squad had nothing to do with injury the same way Mba , Nosa & Ideye omission had nothing to do with injury.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Flex Swift wrote:
Gotti wrote:

May I add he played very well in the match against

Agreed at the time Azeez was playing in La liga however his team was fighting relegation and he was mainly on the bench. If his selection was justified why is he now on the list of players ‘where are they now’.

Joel Obi played in the friendly against Scotland ...his omission from the’squad had nothing to do with injury the same way Mba , Nosa & Ideye omission had nothing to do with injury.
May I add he played very well in the match against Scotland without any sign of injury. His exclusion from the team was absolutely due to Keshi's depravity . Please people should refrain from rewriting history , should call a spade a spade and shame the devil. What Keshi did in last World Cup was definitely abominable act. May his soul rest in peace.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

john12 wrote:I believe that everyone agrees that musa isn’t good enough to be a starter for SE but to say that he isn’t good enough to make SE 23 Is absurd. This is a player that’s currently SE top scorer, has 2 World Cup goals and contributed immensely to our WCQ. It’s clear that people have external motives by attacking musa all the time. All we’re saying is for you people to provide us an alternative to musa then you guys would start mentioning inexperienced backwater league players. My people, SE will exists after World Cup and people would generally support your suggestions. As for Joel Obi, there’s absolutely nothing he has done to dethrone players like OGU
why do you like to contradict yourself ? Ogu and Obi who is more experienced and who is playing in backward league? Please how did Musa contribute immensely to World Cup qualifications ? I guess by warming the bench. It is apparently clear your reasons for advocating for Musa inclusion is absolutely not altruistic but surely puckish. Musa is a headless chicken, feckless and completely devoid of any dexterity to come close to SE camp even as a ball boy. Be sincere to yourself return whatever you receive from him but stop being an impediment to our World Cup positive aspirations.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

bully12 wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:
Gotti wrote:

May I add he played very well in the match against

May I add he played very well in the match against Scotland without any sign of injury. His exclusion from the team was absolutely due to Keshi's depravity . Please people should refrain from rewriting history , should call a spade a spade and shame the devil. What Keshi did in last World Cup was definitely abominable act. May his soul rest in peace.
Bully12,

Here is the official reasons why players were dropped from the 2014 World Cup. Please also note that injuries are not only sustained in competitive games. They can be sustained in training.
MBA 'TOO RELAXED', JOEL OBI INJURED EXPLAINS KESHI
https://africanfootball.com/news/431074 ... ains-Keshi
by Staff Reporter
Tuesday Jun 03, 2014. 04:36

Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi has explained to AfricanFootball.com why he axed AFCON hero Sunday Mba and Joel Obi from his final 23-man squad for the World Cup.

Joel Obi, who played on loan at Parma from Inter Milan last season, was again the victim of injury, according to Keshi.

“Joel (had) a little bit of ankle problem, but he was still trying, I just didn't want to risk it. But I am happy I spent a little time with him," Keshi informed AfricanFootball.com

Mba was another major omission from Brazil 2014 particularly after his exploits at last year’s Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa, where he scored the championship winner against Burkina Faso and also sunk tournament favourites Cote d’Ivoire.

However, Keshi told AfricanFootball.com that the former Enugu Rangers star did not show enough desire even after he joined the squad late in London as a a result of a visa hitch.

"For Sunday Mba, his lateness to camp contributed but outside that he did not show the hunger, the fight, we expected for him,” explained Keshi.

“We have only two and half week to prepare for the World Cup and he was not giving us what we wanted. He was very relaxed and it was unlike him.”

Keshi further confirmed AfricanFootball.com exclusive that Obinna Nsofor was axed due to a knee injury.

"Nsofor a little bit with knee problem, but he was pushing,” he revealed.

By Arafat Aliu
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics