Joel Obi updates!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Joel Obi injured again !!!!!

Post by Dammy »

Joel Obi in action against Juventus in the Turin derby. Scores at half-time is 1-0 to Juventus and Joel has had a good first half breaking down Juve attacks. He almost got an assist but his team mate wasted the pass after he had beaten two players. On this evidence, if he stays fit, he will be in the WC squad.
I am happy
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

vancity eagle wrote:subbed off today for Torino in the 37 minute. :sad:

Please change the title o, my client Joel Obi is not injured and he deserves a chance to fight for WC place. :thumbs:
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Since Onyekuru got injured , it seems he is the only Nigerian player scoring goals on consistent basis. I kept wondering where will be the goals coming from during the World Cup. Most fans are having these unjustified sanguine feelings that Super Eagles will excell in the forthcoming World Cup tournament when none of our boys is consistently tearing the nets.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

bully12 wrote:Since Onyekuru got injured , it seems he is the only Nigerian player scoring goals on consistent basis. I kept wondering where will be the goals coming from during the World Cup. Most fans are having these unjustified sanguine feelings that Super Eagles will excell in the forthcoming World Cup tournament when none of our boys is consistently tearing the nets.
lol The people who are not scoring consistently will have no choice but to score at the WC in the Nigerian shirt. SE is greater than the sum of its parts.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

9jaMan wrote:

Please change the title o, my client Joel Obi is not injured and he deserves a chance to fight for WC place. :thumbs:
No he doesn't
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

pleaese thread change title to jOEL NOT INJURED AGAIN
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

pajimoh wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

No he doesn't
He doesn't deserve a chance to fight for a WC place?

Never knew you were this bitter. :D
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

The YeyeMan wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

No he doesn't

So I must be bitter to suggest he doesn't deserve to fight for a wc place? OK o.
Well if I was the coach, I would consider him for a place. There's no way Obi can be mentally up for the challenge B putting his whole body on the line for the team. Everytime he tackles and overstretches, his mind would B telling him not to overdo it. You can't suffer the amount of injuries he's suffered without mental scar. He need a year or more injury free to get back some mental stability.
Career wise, should Obi go to the wc and get injured, his club would not like it. Being injured on club duty is slightly more acceptable than on international duty. They would expect him to turn down a call to get himself right during the break.
Obi is a huge risk of a player space. It would amount to nothing more than 22 players plus one huge injury prone gamble
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

pajimoh wrote:So I must be bitter to suggest he doesn't deserve to fight for a wc place? OK o.

Well if I was the coach, I would consider him for a place. There's no way Obi can be mentally up for the challenge B putting his whole body on the line for the team. Everytime he tackles and overstretches, his mind would B telling him not to overdo it. You can't suffer the amount of injuries he's suffered without mental scar. He need a year or more injury free to get back some mental stability.
Career wise, should Obi go to the wc and get injured, his club would not like it. Being injured on club duty is slightly more acceptable than on international duty. They would expect him to turn down a call to get himself right during the break.
Obi is a huge risk of a player space. It would amount to nothing more than 22 players plus one huge injury prone gamble
Yes. You realise there's a difference between fighting for a place and getting place in the squad? Of course he deserves to fight for a place.

The rest of your post is guess work. What do you know about his mental stability?

No clubs like their players getting injured so there's nothing new there.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

pajimoh wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

No he doesn't

So I must be bitter to suggest he doesn't deserve to fight for a wc place? OK o.
You make very valid points
Above all how can we trust his body not to breakdown again during the tournament
Of course all eligible Nigerian players are entitled to ‘fight for a place’
but in practice it is not possible to invite everybody
A line has to be drawn somewhere
that is the point of shortlists
Being injury prone is as good a reason as any to rule a player out of contention
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

The YeyeMan wrote:
pajimoh wrote:So I must be bitter to suggest he doesn't deserve to fight for a wc place? OK o.

Yes. You realise there's a difference between fighting for a place and getting place in the squad? Of course he deserves to fight for a place.

The rest of your post is guess work. What do you know about his mental stability?

Ol boy, when was the last time Obi was involved with the national setup?
When was the last time Obi played for Rohr?
When was the last time Obi played about 7 consecutive games for his club?
When was the last time Obi went a whole season injury free?

So you just want Obi invited to the SE, just like that - that easy to get invite eh?

The best thing we can do for Obi and Obi can do for Obi is to spend the summer break getting himself right for his career. I don't know when he's contract is due for renewal but an injury free Obi would help towards renewal of contract
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

pajimoh wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

So you just want Obi invited to the SE, just like that - that easy to get invite eh?

The best thing we can do for Obi and Obi can do for Obi is to spend the summer break getting himself right for his career. I don't know when he's contract is due for renewal but an injury free Obi would help towards renewal of contract
But the truth is he's playing at a higher level than almost all of our midfielders except for Ndidi, so its not like we are inviting someone from a backwater league, and he's been around the SE before so he's not a brand to national assignments.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

maceo4 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

But the truth is he's playing at a higher level than almost all of our midfielders except for Ndidi, so its not like we are inviting someone from a backwater league, and he's been around the SE before so he's not a brand to national Sassignments.
Higher level? How many games has he played in a calendar year? How many games has he played with the current SE team? How many months has he remained injury free?

Regardless of higher level or not, you expect Nigeria to play at least 3 games and more through the knockout stages. Has Obi got 3 full games in him right now?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

But the truth is he's playing at a higher level than almost all of our midfielders except for Ndidi, so its not like we are inviting someone from a backwater league, and he's been around the SE before so he's not a brand to national assignments.
Plus if he's fit enough to play now then he's as fit as he will ever be. No need speculating "what if" he gets injured again.
He could get injured tomorrow or never again and waiting for a six-month injury-free period doesn't change that at all.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

pajimoh wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

But the truth is he's playing at a higher level than almost all of our midfielders except for Ndidi, so its not like we are inviting someone from a backwater league, and he's been around the SE before so he's not a brand to national Sassignments.
Higher level? How many games has he played in a calendar year? How many games has he played with the current SE team? How many months has he remained injury free?

Regardless of higher level or not, you expect Nigeria to play at least 3 games and more through the knockout stages. Has Obi got 3 full games in him right now?
I'd want to believe Italian league is higher than Chinese, Turkish, and Isreali league where most of our midfielders are playing. Also, this has been his most active season of the last few years with about 20/21 games played (league and cup) so far with 5 total goals scored. Thats definitely not a bad return in a tougher league. We dont know how many full games he has unless we try him out and see.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

maceo4 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

I'd want to believe Italian league is higher than Chinese, Turkish, and Isreali league where most of our midfielders are playing. Also, this has been his most active season of the last few years with about 20/21 games played (league and cup) so far with 5 total goals scored. Thats definitely not a bad return in a tougher league. We dont know how many full games he has unless we try him out and see.
Obi can be playing on the moon. I'm not arguing about his quality. Physically and possibly mentally, Obi is not reliable to give you blood and thunder in a highly competitive 3 group games. I'm going by his record in the last few years and not sentiments. When was the last time he completed a full game for his club and how many times and why?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

pajimoh wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Obi can be playing on the moon. I'm not arguing about his quality. Physically and possibly mentally, Obi is not reliable to give you blood and thunder in a highly competitive 3 group games. I'm going by his record in the last few years and not sentiments. When was the last time he completed a full game for his club and how many times and why?
Allow him to get a shot, I don’t think that’s asking for too much.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Plus if he's fit enough to play now then he's as fit as he will ever be. No need speculating "what if" he gets injured again.
He could get injured tomorrow or never again and waiting for a six-month injury-free period doesn't change that at all.
There's need to speculate because unfortunately he's injury prone. Any player can be injured but when you know one is more prone than most then you need to be mindful.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

pajimoh wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Please go and watch Obi's matches before you comment on his physical and mental state! Only yesterday, he was diving into tackles and winning balls against Juventus and I was afraid he will get hurt again. He did not duck from 50-50 balls and won more than his fair share of tackles. FYI, he has only been injured once this season despite some of the alarmist thread headlines on CE. He ticks all the right boxes for Rohr, he is just 26, quick, intelligent, good technique, versatile (DM, CM, AM &;LB) and experienced. If he stays fit, he will give Rohr a headache in his selection.
Last edited by Dammy on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am happy
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Dammy wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:So I must be bitter to suggest he doesn't deserve to fight for a wc place? OK o.

Please go and watch Obi's matches before you comment on his physical and mental state! Only yesterday, he was diving into tackles and winning balls against Juventus and I was afraid he will get hurt again. He did not duck from 50-50 balls and won more than his fair share of tackles. FYI, he has only been injured once this season despite some of the alarmist thread headlines on CE. He ticks all the right boxes for Rohr, he is just 26, quick, intelligent, good technique and experienced. If he stays fit, he will give Rohr a headache in his selection.[/quote]
Abeg stop ya noise. :tic: If you're afraid he'll get injured then how do you think the injury prone person himself soul feel? It is normal to have it in the back of your mind everytime you get on the field and you go into tackle. The best advice I can give Obi is to concentrate on himself and his career for now and the best advice I can give Rohr is to live him out for now.
Inviting him is saying he's got a chance. Let him be.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Joel Obi updates!

Post by Dammy »

Stop yarning opals! It is obvious you are afraid of Obi taking the place of one of your favourites in the SE squad. Put your sentiments aside and let Rohr pick the best 23 for Russia.
I am happy
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Dammy wrote:Stop yarning opals! It is obvious you are afraid of Obi taking the place of one of your favourites in the SE squad. Put your sentiments aside and let Rohr pick the best 23 for Russia.
No need to fault anyone saying that he is on the outside looking in.

However, he seems to have played his way to an invitation for the March friendlies according to Complete Sports. That would be huge for him, as I know that baring injury, he will impress.

With Joel Obi in the setup, I can almost confidently say that we only have one outfield position to fill, and that is a striker. There might be space for one or two more goalkeepers.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

truetalk wrote:
Dammy wrote:Stop yarning opals! It is obvious you are afraid of Obi taking the place of one of your favourites in the SE squad. Put your sentiments aside and let Rohr pick the best 23 for Russia.
No need to fault anyone saying that he is on the outside looking in.

However, he seems to have played his way to an invitation for the March friendlies according to Complete Sports. That would be huge for him, as I know that baring injury, he will impress.

With Joel Obi in the setup, I can almost confidently say that we only have one outfield position to fill, and that is a striker. There might be space for one or two more goalkeepers.
I like him a lot but I'm afraid he'll get injured. Even Torino takes him off every 60-70 minutes...

Even if we concede that Joel is better than some of our players, it's foolish to take a marginally better player who gets injured after the second game.

He's not going to bench Mikel or Ndidi. I also don't think he has Onazi's tenacity and ability to hit through balls or Etebo's finishing and ability to carry the ball. What are his strengths?
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!